I'm a dev guy and need something answered

I'm a dev guy and need something answered

>Anyone else preform better under pressure and under a tight deadline than regular work with no pressure at all?

Its almost as if I enjoy the chaos and stress more than peace and boring days at work

Fuck off back to Sup Forums frogposting faggot.

Sr. Software Engineer here

I'm the same, no deadline then no motivation. Probably because I know I can finish things quicker than most the plebs at work, so I can be lazy and procrastinate

Bro, I'm tired of this though

I've been lazy and procrasting since my work is pretty simple and I sort of need a deadline or a lot of pressure to get shit done and lead multiple meetings etc....

Without everything on fire I just start feeling like shit, I need other hobbies or something man..

Same. That fucking concentration you get when you are under pressure. When it's chill I am slacking off.

Yes, yes yes

You guys get it...

Why does this happen?

I have projects failing and I get motivated and resolve as much as I can and lead meetings/training events

But when things are boring I'm like fuck i hate this job

Work on something in your freetime, I started a stock trading algorithm with machine learning

Yea I'm doing trading as well, things are going good so far but that doesn't fulfill me

I'm like sitting around hoping something burns in the office so I can run around and be the fucking lead engineer to put it all down

Damn, I miss working in a high stress environment

>I'm thinking about quitting my job for somewhere else with much more work...

start your own business, then you'll know stress

>I'm a dev guy
I'd help but I'm more of a usr guy.

Same here, fuck. When I have no deadlines I can procrastinate for weeks. If you just tell me "have this by Friday" I'll probably even work extra hours.

If I don't have any pressure I'm like "fuck that, I'll do it later".

No, you just have no discipline. Of course you "perform better" than when you're sitting around twiddling your thumbs. I'd perform better in the 100m running on a track versus sitting in a chair.

t. someone like you

>Any advice?

I've actually started to do a lot of the work now and I realized the longer you wait and fuck off the worse it is on you since you know damn well you could have been finished weeks ago....................

Starting is the biggest part. I find once I'm 10-15 minutes into the task, it doesn't seem as bad any more, and I can at least get myself to get a few hours of stuff done. Other days, I feel really motivated, similar to performing under pressure, but without the pressure (which is a lot more enjoyable) and get a ton done. Interestingly, I couldn't have told you before I started what kind of day I'd have. If you just procrastinate and agonize over how much the task sucks, you'll never know.

The more frequently you at least force yourself to do a bit every day, the more chances you'll have for a very productive day where you get a lot done. I don't think it's realistic for most people to be able to just do quality work 8 hrs a day...those moments come and go, and the "working best before a deadline" is just a motivating factor that brings it out of people, although in a negative and stressful way.

Figured I'd be honest and hope someone here can throw me some words of wisdom

>I still have this job but I fucked up pretty badly'
>Last job I didn't make a lot but worked on a lot of projects and spent time working on top teir engineering projects
>I moved companies and my boss (new company) started giving me shitty assignments
>I asked him for more work and told him I'm capable of doing more than this and want more projects
>He ends up giving me some projects and they are literal shit
>I fall into depression again and can't understand why he is doing this, he hired me for a lot of money and is giving me low teir engineering projects
>I fucked up by being so depressed, procrastinating and when it came time I officially completed the projects months later and I know inside myself I could have done a better job by completing this earlier
>The issue is now he is giving me more work and says he doesn't want me to feel overwhelmed, the issue is the project he recently gave me is literal a pile of shit that is given to the lowest engineers

I do not want this type of work and why the fuck did he hire me?

Yea this job is a different title, and pays more but wtf I am capable of doing much more than these shitty fucking projects

Any tips/advice? This shit is hurting me, I want to quit so fucking bad and find another company who actually gives me some fucking work

if all projects seem like low tier garbage to you why don't you start doing some research? if they are so low tier they shouldn't take more than a few days and then you can spend the rest of the deadline doing something innovative and unique.

I do most of the work in a couple days and slowly check them in over the course of the work period while playing video games.

Now that I have mentioned this, any good recent vidya you can recommend?

DO YOUR OWN FUCKING PROJECTS THEN FAGGOT HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

How many years are you into your career?

> on paper 3 years however, I've been in the IT field for over 6 years in total
>on and off contracting etc...

I'm kinda low level so my workloads aren't that bad even during crunch time, but I agree. When my back's to the wall my almonds fire in parallel and I pump out work. When there's no deadline I just end up browsing Sup Forums on my phone all day while I have documentation up on my screens so it looks like I'm researching.

My mom had one running a tailor shop. It was the only time in her life she was stress free and not a total psycho, very relaxed and good times. Why she doesn't just retire from being a wageslave and just work from home part-time I don't know. Still gets paid like 25/hr though.

I'm still a student, but it sounds like you fucked up. Aren't you supposed to transition from shitty low end projects to positions with more responsibility? It seems like you spent 6 years making lateral moves, and that's on you.

I appreciate the responses btw, this is helping me think this stuff out

I dunno man, it just seems like 6 years in and you're still getting bitch work, just higher paid bitch work. What do you consider a project at your level? Do you think you're Elon Musk or something? You sound kind of entitled.

He just likes to complain, he is getting while paid for making shit tier jobs, he could spend the rest of his time making something that's on "his level" but instead he is just shitposting here.

>well paid*
Fuck me

sooooooooooo

Seriously though, what would you guys do in this situation? Transfer to another dept? I'm at a higher skill level....

Change jobs desu

fuck, not what i wanted to hear but it might be my only choice

one thing for sure, is im done procrastinating this is not something i should be struggling with at my level but things just sort of happened this way

>get good job
>get lazy
>boss says okay give him low level projects

Work harder stop complaining.

You don't always get what you think yoy deserve. Enjoy what you currently have