What would make you love me, Sup Forums?

What would make you love me, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
techrepublic.com/article/is-the-intel-management-engine-a-backdoor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Actual security

Not being an insecure downstream piece of shit

Actual security

this meme to end

Done. Now what.

Don't break my computer xD

Ok now rebuild yourself without spaghetti code

Install Gentoo

Replace systemd

/thread

>Don't break my computer! :p
Lets face it, Linux Mint is a children's OS.

The only person I've ever met who used Linux mint was an alcoholic furry coworker of mine named Patrick. Patrick wore a collar to work and went by Patches. Are you willing to take responsibility for Patches' life choices?

I don't have to be just for children user. You can always keep me up to date!

Be like Linuxlite.

>don't break my computer
>novice users selecting anything else
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

I'll upgrade his life but he might break.

Mint users have the freedom to be secure or to be stable. Sometimes freedom can be risky but it's better than having updates forced down your throat whether you like it or not.

>try Mint in 2008
>laptop hibernate doesnt work

>try Mint in 2010

>try Mint in 2014

>try Mint in 2017

also +10C while idle regardless of governor and TLP settings and shit.

>freedom to break existing namespaces for broken forks
>freedom to then complain on existing softwares mailing lists that they can't install software due to namespace conflict and that the old software should change their name to coexist with linux mint
Mint is retarded, it's 'developers' are retarded and it's users are mostly children.

The issue is that mint is touted as newbie friendly. People who are knowledgable enough to run a distro like Arch or Gentoo are competent enough to understand the "risks" of their "freedom". Someone who wants to try Linux Mint sees "don't break my computer" will always select that option if they are new to linux.

The devs (the dev) doesn't take security seriously. But that isn't a huge problem if you know what you're doing. Although, if you know what you're doing then you are probably running a different (better) distro.

He's already broken. Trust me.

I chose Mint for my first actual dive into Linux because it seemed like a good stepping stone for me and my x220. So far I haven't been upset with it, but have been wondering about hardening my system. Should I just ditch it for something else?

It's 95% ubuntu like basically all distros.

>Mint actually swithed from MDM to LIGHTDM.
>Mints Editor is not "xedit' but "xed"
>Patented and copyrighted multimedia stuff is no longer on iso (of course you can download it but iso no longer contains it)

Stop using outdated articles as arguments or GTFO stupid antimint zealots.

Linux mint is still under development probably all of fatal issuesfrom these outdated articles are fixed.

If you want some info about updates on mint here is something ACTUAL
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

Remember even when mint team is not epic like canonical... they actually care what people talk about their distro and use that information as idea to improve their os.

So if you are unhappy with fact linux mint is superior as user friendly distro than your favourite... well.... stop shitting on mint and go with problem to canonical or federomakers erc.

If you are pissed off because mint is user friendly well... gtfo to your gentoo because if you really want people to use linux, they need user friendly distro like mint

This is how you do it faggot

Keep being you. I use you as my daily driver, and enjoy using you.

>option 2, and then update all 4 lvl risky updates one by one rebooting between them so in case of problems you instantly know which update caused them.
The ultimate way to update mint rookie.

>Stop using outdated articles as arguments or GTFO stupid antimint zealots.
The dev is an idiot. The development history of this distro proves that. You don't need to be a "anitmint zealot" to see how poor of a distro mint is compared to many other distros.

>Linux mint is still under development ***probably*** all of fatal issuesfrom these outdated articles are fixed.
Don't worry when clem gets around to all the security issues for newbies I'm sure he will ***probably*** find something else to F-up.

>Mint team is special
>They care and are full of rainbows and unicorns
>And for reasons....Mint is superior
>Pointing out flaws (Current and past) means your're angry
>you prefer esoteric distros
There was a time when Mint was IMO the perfect distro. Those days have long since past. I will never recommend it to a beginner because there are much better, newbie friendly distros out there (with dev teams that give a damn about the users and their security). I won't "stop shitting" on Mint as long as silly people continue to recommend it to beginners. Please tell your dictator (Clem) I said "Hi"!

Stop insulting clem... he is a nice grineer.

I hate hate your green color scheme
fuck green, fuck lime, fuck pepe, FUCK ALL THINGS GREEN

>the color of barf

Since mint is shit, whats a good distro to recommend to beginners and old people?

Mint.

Mint is pretty good. Nothing I'm euphoric about, but levels "pretty good" match my best experiences elsewhere over the years. My only real Linux loyalties/needs right now are:

1. Based on Ubuntu. I have forsaken my Gentoo roots, and now recent Debian ways, and am purely an lolbuntu drone now, in part due to work, though this could change.
2. Cinnamon, so long as it remains decent. Never liked Unity. I have questions about its long-term viability (e.g. no plans for Wayland) and expect to leave it one day, just as I once left Openbox.

Mint optimally intersects these two right now. It is the best OOTB Cinnamon experience and I get to stay firmly seated on Mark Shuttleworth's cock in a *buntu derivative. If either of those change, who knows where I would go, but Mint has worked well for me since late 2015. I am shocked that they put the effort into making inter-version upgrades work whereas even Ubuntu is like "LOL JUST REINSTALL TO BE SAFE" between non-LTS releases.

Install a comfy theme then? I'm still running Numix, the big icon and theme meme from two years ago. The theme named "Numix Cinnamon" is a mostly dark theme with red-orange accents that aren't too offensive.

>plug new hard drive into mint
>mounts itself
>plug new hard drive into ubuntu
>have to manually mount it and everything

One is clearly better than the other here.

It's too mainstream, doesn't appeal to the loser sense where you've failed and have to use something shitty to pretend to be different.

You would need:
-Remove 99% of software
-Have a Linux Mint "Way" or "philosophy" shit page which is just an esoteric way of saying we think we're better than you
-Make it break itself every time it updates
-shitty edgelord pseudo community on the frontpage again trying to get newcomers to leave

So you don't like it because of your OCD?

>-Make it break itself every time it updates

Cinnamon breaks with every update on mint. No other DE does though for some reason.

What's that?

a fresh 18.2 vm showing what a fuckload of wasted space there is

Something you won't notice if you don't suffer OCD or some form of autism.

Ah. Can't say I've ever noticed, probably due to using three 1440p monitors.
I agree that is quite sloppy. Do you know where one could submit a patch for that?

I switched for kde neon. Love it

Pic what Other DE fanboys use as "Good" reason to make people throw away cinnamon and use of course their favourite DE.

Because they cant find any legit reason to make show how cinnamon is bad and [Put any DE here] is superior compared to cinnamon

>use Cinnamon for years
>switch to KDE temporarily after Cinnamon breaks
>end up sticking with KDE because I enjoy being able to see what an image looks like without opening it

Feels pretty good.

Yep, having previews in a filepicker is pretty important for an image board user. The fact that only this mess of a DE called KDE have them is sad. Dolphin works like shit in GNOME and Lxqt is an abomination.

i did same screenshots :3

Stop relying on a distro based off another distro for starters.

No shitty apt, no shitty systemd maybe? But no, even then mint would probably suck anyway.

Gnome3 has them.

start caring about software licenses

Iso dont have licensed software. All codecs flash etc. are download only

it doesn't. At least in openPepe

Sooo whats wrong with development history? Dev is not idiot.
He was just pissed of with way what ubuntu goes and had idea to make even better user friendly distro. And instead of shitting on canonical he decided to make his idea real.
Of course clem was a goddamn rookie in that stuff. Like everybody.

>He will find something else to F-up
Like clem just dreams to fuck up anything also if he fuck up anything today, we will have some articles about that but when "newest" article telling whats wrong with mint has more than 1 year and has information that are no longer actual well....

>There are better newbie distros
Just because you dont use command line to install and has DE preinstalled, doesent mean its beginner friendly as much as mint. Thats a mistake what most of "Linux pro make". But what about Post instalation? Well most of "User friendly" distros are now like "Now you are on your own. Drivers? BOI go find out by yourself"

And mint actually cared about that, it has tools what "User friendly" distros should have at beggining (Driver manager, Firewall Gui, Irc program automatically connecting to help section etc.).

Btw. tell ubuntu how you are a great warrior who fights their competition, and dont forget to give your data to amazon.

>clem was a goddamn rookie in that stuff.
It is amazing how great mint used to be. And then Clem's ego/arrogance screwed it up. But that tends to happen when you have one person calling all the shots (see also Shuttleworth).

Not existing

So clem commited intentionally a sin bigger than intentionally turning os into amazon spyware?

You're overthinking it user. They both ruined once decent distros.

this. but that implies responsible release managers, which isnt going to happen.

>responsible release managers
What did he mean by this?

Linux mint needs just more people in team.

But with limited team they make good job

>end up sticking with KDE because I enjoy being able to see what an image looks like without opening it
Doesn't that work in any Qt based DE?

You're both spastics, you do pacman -Syu and pray to whichever gods you hold close that nothing goes wrong so you can spend your saturday masturbating to anime rather than fixing X again.

>Qt based DE
name one which is not complete trash

Letting me use ubuntu packages without ending in dependency hell

But i love you mint-chan

So you're saying I dodged a lot of bullets picking kde over everything else?

I probably would've gone back to windows if I had to deal with a file picker without preview thumbnails. That's so braindead "mandatory" that I couldn't even imagine NOT having it.

My god what are other linux distros and DE's even fucking doing!?!??

>It is amazing how great mint used to be. And then Clem's ego/arrogance screwed it up. But that tends to happen when you have one person calling all the shots (see also Shuttleworth).

and steve jobs

But the reality is that without one asshole calling the shots, you get a bunch of assholes fighting each other getting nothing done or putting out compromising unmitigated SHIT

At least one asshole means there is a unified direction

I also find that anyone with a strong personality and drive who goes for what they want is called an asshole by poseurs frustrated that they lack the same influence. It's a fucking beta-male complaint about the guy in charge

Bothering about security when intel can read your ram already

techrepublic.com/article/is-the-intel-management-engine-a-backdoor/

Well.
I like linux mint. No matter how many shit amazonbuntu fanboys will throw at it.

Well first for all we need to remember mint has no behind itself epic linux team like debian/ubuntu/redhat has.

But linux team has ambition. Clem has ambition.
The good thing is fact linux mint goes in one direction... to be a user friendly distro. And it is fucking visible they are going good way.

Most of "User friendly" distros are " just make graphical install what will automatically partition disk and install system, and then leave user on his own", mint realized a real user friendly distro needs more than that. For example.
- Possibility to install additional codecs for files like MP3 with one click.
- Driver manager (Plaing with drivers on linux can be pain in ass, for newb but this handy dandy tool will doo 99% of job for you)
- Update manager (Its not perfect but well this is on good way to be a perfect for avoiding postupdate issues and keeping system as updated as possible)
- Soon here comes tool to generate crash report. So when there is problem you can post report on the internet and someone else has easier job in helping you.

Linux mint is a very good distro. But well it needs time to be perfect. I believe in mint.

If you would work more than 1% of the time and be useful for anything but ricing

Nobody rices cinnamon mint. It's already perfect.

Solus is moving to Qt supposedly, I always thought Solus was pretty good. I enjoyed it until their login manager broke on me after a kernel update and decided I wanted to try a different distro.

Fax

Go mint ignore stale memes and try it

Kek, it's true

Sorry user, I didn't look at the picture and thought it said just linux
Mint is already shit tho

>waterfox

Kill yourself.

I can't emulate the rice in Fedora. The themes from github don't work.

Great Linux distribution

get used to being amazed by an absence of things which you though should be there by default. Ganoo/Linox is a world of pain.
It's a price to pay for being botnet free.

>implying I use jewtel processors

I thought mint was a trojan horse distro? Wasn't it compromised?

what the fuck is this meme? i've never had a problem viewing thumbnails using Cinnamon or MATE.

You cant /thread yourself faggot

she (male) just did

All Desktop Linux distros are bad.

What's the difference between using that shit versus actually installing Ubuntu and then Cinnamon? I do the latter only because Mint fucks up my dual monitor setup.

Ubuntu dont have MintTools.

Drop systemd

I've been running cinnamon for 4 years and it has never broken on me. Why would lie on the internet?

Very little difference, in all honesty. If that works for you, keep it. The only major difference (aside from installation) is that Mint's upgrade process between versions is more reliable than Ubuntu's in my experience.

Sorry to hear that Mint doesn't work with dual monitors for you. I run three monitors at home and two at work in Mint.

Then again, sometimes I just sit back in awe of how far Linux has come. I remember endless poking around in xrandr to get external monitors on laptops of yore. Having the DE remembering my layout/positioning preference between separate external monitors when I reconnect to them at later times still gives me a "holy shit I live in the future" feeling. Pic related.

Ubuntu, none of the ugly ass green themes plastered on every bit of UI by default. Huge community. Alternatively you could do debian setups for old people.

if you ceased to exist.

You need a cute innocent girl as your mascot.