Is adnauseum a botnet?

Is adnauseum a botnet?

I know Sup Forums loves it, but to be honest I'm skepitical of it.

Is it possible that this is a ruse for Sup Forums and other right wingers to download and to gather personal information so they can be doxxed later?

It honestly seems too good to be true, that a monolith like google couldn't easily defeat this given their size and level of expertise.

Other urls found in this thread:

adage.com/article/digital/inside-google-s-secret-war-ad-fraud/298652/
wsj.com/articles/google-issuing-refunds-to-advertisers-over-fake-traffic-plans-new-safeguard-1503675395
archive.is/ZrI0i
ceur-ws.org/Vol-1873/IWPE17_paper_23.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hello, Rajesh.

stop making duplicate threads about it

>last thread at 304 posts
>brand new thread pops up
What a coincidence.

It is cancer. Check the catalog and archive.

We doesn't need 7652347823 threads/day about this.

Nobody in their right mind uses this over a just a browser that respects your freedom.

sagerino

>We doesn't need 7652347823 threads/day about this.
Shush. People are attempting to earn a living here.

it is FREE and OPEN SAUCE

Of course it's a joke extension you dumb cunt. A company worth 500 billion can't detect a shitty open source uBlock fork made by a couple of jews in their basement? Give me a fucking break.

Use software that actually respects your freedoms and stop making these threads.

detecting ironical ad clicks is a hard problem.
Have you tried distinguishing between genuine opinions and shill posts? For example you look like a google shill, but there is a legitimate chance you are a a run of the mill larper or just mentally handicapped

Good point. Let me just start a website quickly, load it full of ads, write a simple script to load the ads from adnauseam through various proxies and make millions. I wonder why no one has done this? I must be a fucking genius or something

>is adnauseum a botnet?
No
>is it possible that this is a ruse...to gather personal information?
No

That being said, it's a stupid idea and doesn't accomplish anything at all. Google will easily be able to detect users of this and then just not even take their ad clicks into account, which means it's the same as using a regular ad blocker.

>Google will easily be able to detect users of this

no they can't

If I was Google, I would actually invest in AdNauseam. Not publicly, of course. This is an excellent way to dominate the market even harder and stomp out the competition. All you need is to fill the internet with more white noise which others will have trouble filtering. Google, with its machine learning, won't.

The only people who can really fuck over Google are so called blackhat marketers. They are real pros. To generate fake clicks, they have an arsenal of sophisticated botnets and they often use malware on normies' computers. They're not volunteers, they have a strong financial incentive to click-spam their competitors. AdNauseam is baby-tier. Google has seen it all before. It has fought click wars for more than a decade.

Those refunds you keep talking about do not even come from AdNauseam traffic. They come from professional blackhat botnets that imitate user behavior and are only detected post factum. AdNauseam doesn't even load the page. AdNauseam follows primitive, easily recognizable patterns. AdNauseam traffic is filtered immediately.

Do you think that amateur AdNauseam fanboys are smarter than blackhat gurus? I don't think so.

Here is some insight on how Google battles them. This is from 2015, before AdNauseam took off.
adage.com/article/digital/inside-google-s-secret-war-ad-fraud/298652/

So, what do we have in the end? Google's competitors who use outsourced pajeet coders make heavy losses, advertisers just flock to Google because it's the one who can combat click fraud best. Google strengthens its monopoly. Wow, what a victory.

The only thing AdNauseam really does is playing into Google's hands. I am pretty sure the thread is full of Google shills who promote AdNauseam to kill competition and advance their "anti-hate speech" agenda. Every AdNauseam shill can be declared a Google shill at this point.

Oh yea, have fun passing your real IP address, location and ISP each time an ad is clicked. You are truly doing a good goy's job.

wsj.com/articles/google-issuing-refunds-to-advertisers-over-fake-traffic-plans-new-safeguard-1503675395

No it is not.

There is also no indication that Google is unable to filter out the illegitimate traffic.
If you honestly believe in that thing you should first demonstrate that it works at all.

Here is your indication:
archive.is/ZrI0i
>The ad industry has been working aggressively to tackle fraud. Some $6.5 billion in ad spending will be wasted this year to fraud, down 10% from 2016, according to a report released in May by the Association of National Advertisers and ad-fraud detection firm WhiteOps.

Why are you reinforcing the post you quoted's argument, while having an image calling it a scam?

Because he is right, it is a scam

Haven't checked the code, some others probably have though.
I think uBlock Origin+uMatrix is better privacy wise and more ethical than AdNauseam.

"it" being Ad Nauseam, right?

>general article about ad fraud
this isn't proof that ad nauseum works fucking retard

Not really, they maybe blocking ads but Google is still spying you and know your everything. Obfuscate your clicks with adnauseam is the only way to really stop them from getting useful data out of you.

I read the WSJ article and the CS paper the devs wrote. I liked the idea, and wanted to take the opportunity to piss off Google. Installed it, disabled uBlock Origin, and used it for a few days.

Long story short, I switched back yesterday. I started seeing tracking ads not being blocked even though I ran the same lists as I did on uBlock. Plus, all the warning/shilling on here did actually make me think: sure, obfuscation may be a nice tactic, but it is still interacting with the ad market. As far as they are concerned, I'm another unwitting place to harvest data. Even if that data was filled somewhat with noise, it was still me.

AdNauseum only obfuscates ad trackers, after all. It seems to be less functional than uBlock Origin on blocking non-ad trackers in general, so it's therefore useless to me, on top of the fact that I was seeing ads that were previously hidden.

There is literally nothing wrong with putting non invasive ads on a website you are providing for free

just pay advertisers using BAT on brave

I think Ad Nauseam is a scam, but the reason you might have been seeing those ads is due to the default settings allowing non intrusive ads.

Define "invasive". Tracking you across the internet would be considered invasive.

Is it some sort of good goy points that you can't use except getting an "achievement" decoration in your browser?

I set it to hide all ads, just to not click on DNT-respecting ads. Even if they aren't clicked, I still don't want to see them.

If FREE and OPEN SOURCE is a scam, what is Google?

Adnauseum doesn't block ads, it just hides them

all these countless adnauseam threads are the same:
>lol ur goolag shill for not using this addon
>lol ni ur goolag shill cause goolag uses adnauseam to steal ur data
what's the point?

>what's the point?
This is the only thing in the world right now which has the power to kill Google. It may not be doing much today, that might be true, but remember that anyone can download and run this thing. That is the key different between this and a click farm somewhere in a village. A click farm does not have the capacity to grow exponentially and completely destroy the advert giant. This thing absolutely can.

And when it does, Google dies. This is a cultural war of changing the way people block ads as well as a technical one of spreading it. This is something we can all be part of, from small numbers, to big numbers, but it begins with each single one of us. So when you say it does not work, of course it does, you just need to be part of it. Install AdNauseam and join the fight. Altogether we kill Google.

In the grand scheme of things, it is a giant system with a very large feed-back loop, so time must be allowed for the slow pace everything seems to be happening at. But fear not, as the user base grow and grow and we have more data to work with, we will steadily spread, and it won't be obvious until we reach some critical point where it becomes unstoppable by anyone.

Google knows this too well and that is why the suppression is unreal. The browser blocks, the damage control press releases, and the constant disproportionate amount of shilling, the auto-refund schemes... all of these are simply what it is - damage control of a dying animal.

The software relies on the effects of closed source software (Google ad services). There's no way to tell if and how this is working.

Exactly, Google is literal spyware, you can let them spy you, or you let them spy you and get useless data

I know that. My point was that I still DID see them!

did you turn it on?

Yes, user. I did turn it on. Reinstalled. Went through the settings again. Made sure to copy over all the lists from uBlocker.

try uninstall ublock

It was disabled. I restarted my browser afterwards. It was definitely not doing anything.

For the record, it was a whole load of silly DOWNLOAD HERE faux-buttons and a banner ad on Turbobit.

google cant do shit because thats how internet works. they cant ban your IP because its not unique and you can change it, they cant ban your browser finger print because its not unique and you can change it. google is on suicide watch

And where did this show that adnauseam had any effect?

I'll grant you that fraud in the ad industry exists, but how does this prove that this addon caused any of that?

I have yet to see any evidence that this thing has any appreciable effect. All I've seen is reposts of the same general article on ad fraud that mentions how it's gone down in the past year.

And what if Google is able to detect the usage of the add-on and can simply ignore the traffic?
Do you have any proof that Google is unable to stop the simplest revolt against their biggest revenue stream?

Fraud is a giant subject, would you not expect Google to have safe guards to protect such an easily exploitable system.

all they can use is traffic spikes, but this wont work because adnau is too spread around the world with little number of clicks from the same user compared to bot farms, so no, they cant detect it

But there is still a massive number of clicks compared to a normal user

Do you have any proof that it doesn't work?

no theres not, normal user clicks ads, non normal user doesnt because of adblock, now we act like normal users

>When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.[1]

The claim is that Ad Nauseam is causing Google harm. Burden is proof on Ad Nauseam supporters.

there was no google reports about refund before adnauseam, prove it was not because of it

You have to prove that the refunds have to do with Ad Nauseam.

theres no way because google will never admit it, but ban on chrome store says it all

Which part of Google issuing refund do you not understand? You ask for results, you will need to wait until google is dead.

kek'd hard

>paying advertisers real money, like they are entitled to it

next level cuck

it downloads ads, what do you think?

>clicks ad
>buys product
How many people actually do that for random ads?

i think it makes you butthurt, thats all i need

why would i be mad? my browser doesn't download ads and i didn't install some shady extension

thank you for your service, internet justice warriors
someday, we will have no ads o7
continue to fight the good fight against {{theym}} and give us more extensions to make a difference
we will take back the internet, for us, the clean internettians

whats wrong with downloading ads? is it illegal to downoad them without buing them?

i don't need any malicious downloads on my pc. i prefer to block this traffic completely

passively blocking google makes you a cuck.
pick up a sword or continue sucking dicks, gay soldier.

ceur-ws.org/Vol-1873/IWPE17_paper_23.pdf
>the theory is sound and there is circumstantial evidence supporting it, more in depth evaluation is set for future work

+ not installing adn is supporting censorship which makes you a literal nazi

yeah, we all know google has malware in their ads, but adnau doesnt execute them, its like downloading virus.exe, you are safe untill you execute it. theres not a single case of someone getting a virus because of adnauseam

do you believe in what you type?

>advertisers distributing malware
>somehow it is adn's fault

at least you will have it in your vault in case you need it

>clinking adds

Guys... Its like you went full retard.

why not? people believe google cares about them, why not something thats a fact?

do you like freedom? Do you believe people should be free to install whatever extensions they want in their browsers?

>It honestly seems too good to be true, that a monolith like google couldn't easily defeat this given their size and level of expertise.

Well its literally a botnet in that someone else is writing scripts to control your machine. In this case they say its to fill google with fake advertising data.

And as for google beating it they will become immune to anything if they care to do so. But the author is updating and changing tactics regularly which fucks them.

they care enough to ban it from store and pay palecuck do it as well

Funny how nearly 85% of mozilla's revenue is from Google, yet they haven't received any pressure from Google to ban or block the add-on.

really makes you think how "threatening" this extension is

how do you know they didnt? do you work for them?

google psyop
they just refunded advertisers for fake/bot ad clicks

Not really, The ban on the store doesn't say much.

see