Is he right Sup Forums? Is Nvidia shit on Linux?

Is he right Sup Forums? Is Nvidia shit on Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-DC-PULL-REQUEST
gamingonlinux.com/articles/trying-the-experimental-gcn-10-support-in-amdgpu.9856
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Weathered_colors_.28color_range_problem.29
nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123709/en-us
youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, AMD is just stepping up their GNU/Linux game.

About time AMD got their drivers.

Reminder only the proprietary AMD driver allows audio passthrough over HDMI and DP

Nvidia as market leader is just playing the lazy game only taking the biggest OS seriously. Could be interesting if Valve pushes on with GNU/Linux.

>only taking the biggest OS seriously
They quite literally have the best video drivers on linux.

>the best

They may have the GNU/Linux drivers with the best performance but their drivers aren't FOSS. This disqualifies it as being "the best" for many. How can you redistribute these drivers for example?

A while back I had a laptop with Arch in it. I tried to connect it to a TV to watch a movie but I never got it working as a secondary screen. The best I got was duplicate picture on both screens and they had different resolutions between each other. That laptop had Nvidia GPU.

Now I have a desktop PC with two screens constantly connected and they work perfectly in Debian and AMD GPU. They worked right from the start and extend the desktop instead of duplicating the image. This might be because I also use a different distro but for now it seems that Nvidia was problematic and AMD works without issues. Even games work, not just the desktop. AMD is great.

Doesn't intel technically have the best open source drivers? Or is that not true

Yeah they are good quality drivers but their GPU is shit so they don't count

>that pic

i almost choked on food, you funny bastard

Yeah, the first half is really funny. The second half is just really cool.

Pretty sure you just failed at configuring Arch, since AMD drivers are notorious in Linux.

obligatory

>AMD drivers are notorious in Linux

hello time traveler

what is life like in 2003?

he forgot to mention that since the amdgpu-dc has not been merged yet the amdgpu driver lacks support for:
>vega
>hdmi 2.0
>hdmi/display port audio
>atomic modesetting
>display port mst
>freesync
>etc
>etc

You're a retard.
In Linux nvidia have the best drivers.
I'm not referring to the windows "hurr amd has no drivers" meme.

>using proprietary drivers
>can get fucked by even a minor kernel update

Nvidia also has the best open-source drivers for Linux...
Do you even use Linux or are you just here to troll?

>retard resorts to name calling

how appropriate

>Nvidia also has the best open-source drivers for Linux...
nvidia shill detected.
Opinion discarded and rekt.

When was the last time you used amd on linux? I have manjaro with tonga on amdgpu and it works perfectly.

yes it is

>a-amd drivers are now good on linux i-i promise
Full bullshit. AMDGPU-DC still not merged (just waitTM)
You have a GCN 1.0 GPU, like 280x or 370? You poor fuck
gamingonlinux.com/articles/trying-the-experimental-gcn-10-support-in-amdgpu.9856

AMD proprietary drivers huh, poor APU faggots. Richland debuted in 2013 and sent to deprecated shitbox in 2015. A whole 2 years of support, insane.

no it's not the distro
arch with gnome is plug n play for radeon

>Nvidia also has the best open-source drivers for Linux...

Use radeon, dumbshit, it's has almost same features for desktop or gaming.

Yes, get ridiculed on /mpv/ for not trying new vulkan backend. Sums up AMD graphics pretty much, wait 2 years until you get support and then they drop your card for the new cards. Tell me, where is OGL 4.5 and compute shader support for r600?

>r600
In same place where its support on g80

AMD helps to improve the open source drivers while nvidia don't give a fuck

Doesnt AMD just work ootb now?
Like you get basically full performance without needing to install the proprietary driver?
The only modern GPU i have is the quadro chip in my thinkpad and I still need to install the proprietary drivers in fedora, and even then I'm stuck on X because lolnowaylandsupport.

open r600 drivers NEVER reached parity with closed drivers and closed drivers are deprecated long time ago with no way to run them on new x11 and kernels.

nvidia still fucking supports g80 on newest kernels with advertised features usuable.

Only true for a few of the recent AMD series such as Polaris.

Older chips like the Hawaii chipsets can do audio over HDMI on the mainline amdgpu backend, and newer chips like the RX Vega gets the support from AMD's new Display Code that may or may not get merged into Linux 4.15 (The pull request was only just submitted, so it'll be another 4 weeks before we know for sure if it's getting in or not).

Of course, if the Display Code makes it in for the 4.15 merge window, then all AMD cards gets HDMI/DP audio over this new stack as well.

The AMD open source driver is better than the Nvidia open source driver, but the difference is pretty small.

Basically, Nvidia proprietary >>>>> amd proprietary >>> amd open source > Nvidia open source

>Doesnt AMD just work ootb now?
yes
>Like you get basically full performance without needing to install the proprietary driver?
maybe but amdgpu is for newest cards only

Why is nvidia refusing wayland support?

Have you been living under a rock for the past year?

The open source stack have been better than the closed source drivers for quite a while now.

wayland has been supported for a time. They refuse xwayland, which happens to be a dogshit hack.

nvidia proprietary is the best

wrong

>best video drivers on linux

The vast majority of laptops with nVidia GPUs manufactured in the past ~6 years are completely broken on linux. It's ridiculous that nVidia STILL hasn't implemented Optimus support properly.

At least they're still working on it, I guess.

>what is DKMS

>Use NV proprietray drivers
>Windows and Linux just work
I actually like playing games and having software that's older than 1-2 years work.

Wrong. I think you posted that shit already and got BTFO.

works just fine for AMD on linux without proprietary shit tainting the kernel.

Nvidia proprietary > AMD free > Intel free > Nvidia free > AMD proprietary

>tainting the kernel
Oh no, however will I live with myself.

Anyway, I can get games to crash on startup consistently with AMD gpus, where Nvidia ones work fine.

Still wrong.
AMDGPU+RadeonSi > nVidia Proprietary > AMDGPU+Catalyst > Radeon+RadeonSi > Intel > Nouveau > Everything Else > FGLRX+Catalyst

Catalyst is fine if running with AMDGPU.

Yeah, polaris here. I'm glad to see it'll make its way into the kernel

I don't recall posting it before but no one got btfo. You literally cannot do digital audio passthrough with polaris unless you install the proprietary driver.

LMAO

>anecdotical evidence
Nvidia drivers completely fuck up KDE, where AMDGPU works fine.

>AMD has good linux drivers
Did I switch timelines again?

Yeah, i gave up on linux because of it
>download/install all the per-requisites
>install gpu driver
>restart
>kernel implodes
>i have to roll everything back

i don't know because none of the nvidia drivers FUCKING WORK ON MY LAPTOP, proprietary or otherwise

Nvidia drivers can't even handle compositing on KDE properly. They are garbage.

Mesa isn't developed by AMD.

>fuck up KDE
also ram hog with gnome

It kind of is. AMD has several paid developers working on Mesa.

AMD is a lot worse.
Intel is by far the best but they don't have fast graphics.
NVIDIA free drivers I have little to no experience with, because I wouldn't buy an NVIDIA graphics card if I wanted sub-par performance.
NVIDIA proprietary drivers work great.
Instead of compromising and using a proprietary driver you went and got a proprietary operating system?
Doesn't sound like you really cared about not using the superior proprietary drivers in the first place, then.

>AMD is a lot worse.
[Citation needed]
The free amdgpu driver always worked for me and their performance consistently increases by at least 5% per Mesa release. It's currently the best open-source graphics driver on Linux.
The old radeon driver for pre-GCN cards is enough for 2D, but don't play games on it.

>Intel is by far the best but they don't have fast graphics.
It's good, except that bug where colours are washed-up and you have to enter a command on every boot to fix it because Intel is too retarded to add a config option to xorg.conf.
Other than that it's OK.

>NVIDIA free drivers I have little to no experience with, because I wouldn't buy an NVIDIA graphics card if I wanted sub-par performance.
The reason it has bad performance is because nVidia is actively hostile to the volunteer developers, which is also a reason the driver still doesn't work with 1000-series cards.

>NVIDIA proprietary drivers work great.
They really don't. The performance is good IF you get it to work, but everything else about the driver sucks. The configuration sucks most of all. Fuck you nVidia.

Since the free amdgpu driver is almost on par with nVidia's proprietary one, there's really no need to continue buying that shit. Except if you need ultimate performance (but lol no gaems to utilize it anyway) or CUDA.

>It's good, except that bug where colours are washed-up and you have to enter a command on every boot to fix it because Intel is too retarded to add a config option to xorg.conf.
>Other than that it's OK.
Strange. I have an R9 390 that started doing that after a driver update a few months ago. The default gamma setting is whack or something.

Didn't know that.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017

Nvidia's open source drivers are the worst, but the proprietary ones are the best.
Intel's are the best, but if you need a dedicated GPU it's AMD for free drivers or Nvidia for proprietary ones.

> Is Nvidia shit on Linux?

Yes and No. The redshit users post in the picture is correct, the free nvidia driver is pure garbage and this is primarily nvidia's fault for refusing to release any kind of documentation or code.

Nvidia does maintain their own proprietary binary blob GNU/Linux driver and this one works well.

So it really depends, if you're willing to use the closed driver and adjust accordingly then it's fine, if you're not then you'll have a bad day. You will be limited to using specific distributions and xorg versions if you choose their binary blob driver.

I personally only buy AMD cards for this reason. AMDs free driver does have it's own problems, though, such as no HDMI audio and no display support at all for VEGA. That's right, with VEGA cards you don't even get a picture on the screen.

Oh, but it's not wrong. Not on Polaris. I did have HDMI audio on my old 7850, it works on all cards up to the 4xx series.

Feel free to try to prove me wrong, please do. Reality is that there is some DAL/DL code out there but it's not going into mainline any time soon, it's not even accepted to kernel 4.14 so it will be a while.

> intel
Yes, Intel's got excellent GNU/Linux support and this has been the case for years and years and years, even since before AMD started their efforts. Then again it's not like there's much required for those iGPUs and there isn't much you can do with them either.

To be fair, most of this doesn't matter. It's personally just HDMI audio that really bothers me because this limits me to using SPDIF between my computer and my surround receiver. One small very annoying point on this, btw: My motherboard also has a HDMI output which doesn't work at all for anything. I don't see why there couldn't be some support for pushing audio out of that one.

There's no excuse for the dc code to be to messy to be accepted, I'm just saying that most what's lacking doesn't really mean anything to me personally.

MESA's where the vulkan development is happening so that seems strange. Of course the mpv I'm using doesn't have a vulkan backend and I'm not going to compile it from git just to check if it works. :)

>You will be limited to using specific distributions and xorg versions if you choose their binary blob driver.

For instance, what distributions and xorg versions?

That is a lie.

>except that bug where colours are washed-up and you have to enter a command on every boot to fix it

Please elaborate. Seriously. My laptop has a Intel iGPU. The colors don't look "washed-up" to me. I'm curious to see if this is because my laptop/iGPU isn't affected or if the colors could look better and I just ain't aware of it.

What command(s) are you talking about? Some xrandr command? Tell us.

Good question, I can't say since I just don't buy nvidia products at all since AMDs just work out of the box with the free drivers - but I never actually buy those either until at minimum 3 months after they've been released (still no display support on VEGA cards).

I do remember fighting with someone's laptop with nvidia graphics a few years back and their drivers required very specific versions of both the kernel and xorg. It's not like you can't work it out but I'd rather just avoid dealing with this. I don't buy laptops with nvidia cards either (which is why I have an older one with an Intel iGPU, there's no good laptop AMD GPUs).

Fuck why is Linux so confusing? I use xubuntu on my laptop and I don't know why there is so many versions of GPU drivers, amdgpu, amdgpu pro, fglrx, catalyst, what the fuck are all these?

Having done lots of OpenGL and Vulkan development, my thoughts:

Nvidia open source drivers are absolute dogshit yes. That said, nvidia closed source is where it's at.

This feature will (apparently) come with the AMD DC, which has been in the works for quite some time now but missed the past few merge windows (for 4.13 and 4.14). The code is open source, though, you can build from the AMD staging branch manually if you want to have it right now.

Nvidia's linux drivers have always been significantly better than the competition. Although that wasn't a high bar. They're still pretty shit overall. Fortunately AMD is now in the process of catching up, and will easily surpass it once it matures a bit. AMD right now is about as good as the nvidia driver overall, although the AMD open source vulkan driver still has a nasty habit of crashing your entire system (whereas nvidia will just recover gracefully). Once they fix that I'd be ready to switch to AMD full-time.

Doesn't nvidia drops support for older GPUs *significantly* earlier than AMD, free or otherwise? (And when they don't actively drop support, they at least passively drop support by not giving a shit about fixing them: for example, their vulkan driver randomly deadlocks on anything older than GTX 10xx)

This more or less sums up my experience as well

This post is 100% spot-on as well. Also, mesa these days is not only better at OpenGL than the nvidia proprietary drivers (which is quite a feat), but they also actually respond to bug reports. Nvidia has basically no bug tracker. The best way you can get them to even realize your bugs exist is by randomly e-mailing nvidia people.

AMDGPU-PRO is slower than mesa and as you said is horrifically out of date, so I personally wouldn't even bother. That said, AMDGPU-PRO currently has better vulkan support than RADV.

VEGA 56 user here, do get an image but low res only, second monitor won't work either.
freaking AMD and their DAL

I can't comment because I never got my Thinkpad's Nvidia GPU to work.

I meant washed out. The driver limits displayed colours to a safe subset due to some fuckery with certain TVs or something. Happens to some people, doesn't for others. I switched from a real GPU to Intel on my desktop for a time and immediately noticed black turned into dark grey.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Weathered_colors_.28color_range_problem.29

Everything is shit on linux, linux is shit itseld

Like how they pushed it before and failed misereably?

>Doesn't nvidia drops support for older GPUs *significantly* earlier than AMD, free or otherwise
nvidia support for linux is no less than damn good. They support their products at least 10 years, GeForce 6 series that came out in 2004 is still supported to run on latest kernel and x11 with their bi-yearly legacy drivers
nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123709/en-us

If you want dick swinging about legacy support then be my guest. The radeon driver supports the first ever Radeon (R100) from the year 2000, on any kernel and X.org version because it's open source.

youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

>dick swinging about legacy support
What I care is getting my money's worth, I was burned by ati and amd twice in past, and as I watch developments their old habits are still there. Polaris owners are still waiting 1.5 years on DAL, gcn 1.0 are in eternal limbo waiting to get on AMDGPU. AMD graphics on linux is straight up unhappiness

>The radeon driver supports the first ever Radeon (R100) from the year 2000, on any kernel and X.org version because it's open source.
As I said foss drivers NEVER reached feature parity with proprietary drivers and never will, damned to be half-useful and owners of those cards never got their money's worth on linux.

Nvidia works fine on linux for most things and gives good performance, however that doesn't mean i like all nvidia does and to be fair they're pretty nasty in a lot of ways as a company. It's a good thing AMD started pouring efforts on the open source driver and that effort is finally paying off.

What distro was you using?, on ubuntu just choose on the driver you want and click "apply", much less work than on windows.

Have they finally fixed AMD Drivers now? I stopped using Arch after some Update for better Nvidia driver performance completely broke the AMD ones and it required me to downgrade shit and work around too many dependencies. Would have taken way too much of my time to work out, especially as it had only happened 2 days before I was trying to fix it so no one had written documentation to help out someone stupid like me.

All I know from my own experience is that I have a laptop with an Nvidia Quadro GPU in it and no matter what I do under Linux the display aspects are always shit when compared to using it with Windows (and even macOS running bare native hardware).

All the visual glitches, tearing, and everything else just makes me hate Linux that much more. Yes I suppose I could manually go in and do some config edits here and there and improve things, but since "It just works..." under Windows and macOS, why the fuck would I waste my valuable lifespan configuring shit that doesn't work properly from a fresh clean install of the OS and the latest Nvidia drivers?

Linux users = Sadomasochistic motherfuckers that think the experience of fixing everything constantly is somehow a learning thing and they're becoming better people because of it.

Protip: you're not, you're just wasting your life.

Why should I care if it uses proprietary drivers or not?

Well, my experience is different. Fight me.

I'm on Fedora 25 and I haven't been able to update my kernel since 4.8.6 because Nvidia's proprietary drivers are not configured correctly for newer kernels.

Build from git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux drm-next-4.15-dc

>legacy drivers
Oh, no wonder. I forgot about those completely.

if you want FOSS drivers sure.

nvidia proprietary drivers btfo everything else on linux.

Unfortunately for us VEGA users, you're gonna have to wait(tm) for the DC code to be mainlined (IF it gets mainlined), or build your own kernel with DC patched in.

nvidia proprietary drivers have their own fair share of issues

I'd say these days the amdgpu/radeonsi/mesa stack is about as buggy as the nvidia proprietary stack

The leenux kernel is shit for not having a stable abi but yeah nvidia is shit in all areas

nvidia is the only company that doesn't have paid devs on mesa

Let .e help you out here:
Amdgpu - the name for the newer kernel and GPU driver. Works for polaris and newer(GCN 3+), has beta support for Hawaii (GCN 2, R9 290/390 and their x variant) and GCN1 (Various 7XXX cards and 2XX cards, look it up).
Radeon - the older kernel driver. The default for GPUs up to Polaris. refined and battle tested, it works very well and should be on par with Amdgpu in performance for cards that work on both.
Both of these drivers use the radeonsi code found inside Mesa to support OpenGL 4+ (versions vary, look at mesa table to be sure) and other graphics APIs (Vulkan with radv)
amdgpu pro - the proprietary USERLAND AMD driver (replaces mesa). It relies on the kernel Amdgpu driver. AFAIK it also works with radeon driver for some GCN 1,2 cards (check compatibility on the download page, not sure). Either way, it provides full OGL 4.5, Vulkan, OpenCL etc. It performs worse in games, so it's mainly used for professional work.
fglrx, catalyst (same thing) - the old and deprecated proprietary full driver AMD used to publish up to 2016. It supports GPUs up to Polaris and performance wise has been greatly surpassed by radeon. It is notorious for breaking system (and requiring old kernel/xorg versions to fucking work) so avoid using it.
In OpenGL: NVIDIA proprietary > Amdgpu >= radeon > Amdgpu - pro >= catalyst > NVIDIA open
In Vulkan the PRO driver seems to be faster (but the gap is closing very quickly!).

>Goyvidea
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Meanwhile in AMD land:

What's more, nvidia is the only company that actively spends money trying to _not_ contribute to free software. Like the fact that they made their garbage glvnd to try and solve issues that mesa already solved for every other driver.

Also, nvidia is the only driver that can't get kms properly so enjoy your 480p terminal and slow mode switching

>It performs worse in games, so it's mainly used for professional work.
Not all games. Some require extensions that only AMDGPU-PRO supports, very notably doom 2016 runs at like 3x-4x FPS with AMDGPU-PRO compared to RADV because RADV is missing VK_AMD_shader_ballot, VK_AMD_gcn_shader etc..

>moving the goalposts
Classic.

This is not wrong, but AMD DC is likely to be merged in Linux 4.15, and has been acked by multiple DRM subsystem maintainers.

He is completely right. The performance in Mesa is pretty good and the OpenGL support is good too, and additionally you don't have to deal with shit like disabling kernel modesetting etc.

I'm quite pleased as an AMD user on Linux, using the FOSS drivers.