/lap/ - laptops general

In this thread we discuss laptops and shit.

I need a recommendation for new laptop. Durable, efficient, 15'' preferably with numpad. I've saved around 2000$, can pay a little on top if it's worth it. It's going to be my desktop replacement. Should run VM's and heavy IDEs smoothly. I also enjoy some gayming from time to time (want to try pubg).

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/.product.1176444.html
laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-swift-3
laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-aspire-e-15-e5-575-33bm
notebookcheck.net/Asus-Eee-PC-R052C-WHI002S.80428.0.html
amazon.com/Acer-Swift-i3-6100U-Windows-SF314-51-384Z/dp/B01LWNHW99?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIPHVZTVH6LZ5BFZA&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LWNHW99&ascsubtag=trd-2007510112-20
game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3813&gid2=3455&compare=intel-hd-graphics-620-mobile-vs-geforce-940mx-2gb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do something better with that $2000 and use it on a PC

>owning a laptop
Really isn't a point in this day and age. A cellular phone can do anything you would need to use a laptop on the go.
If you are going to sit down and do productive work for hours on end, just get a desktop as the first post indicated.
What's so hard to understand?

I would personally get a 15 inch rMBP for ~$2500, but since you don't need MacOS and plays games, then get pic related.

>someone wants to buy laptop
>recommend desktop

I know what I need and PC is not an option.

Specs:
> quad-core Kabylake i7
> 16GB DDR4 RAM
> 4K Display
> GTX 1050ti
> 512GB PCIe SSD
> Great build quality for a Windows laptop
That should handle pubg, VM's and IDEs just fine.

How do you know? What do you need a laptop for?
Unless you need to run specific programs on the go (e.g. statistical analysis) or code on-the-go, you do not need a laptop.

I have a keyboard and stand for my mobile phone which has replaced my laptop usage entirely. It makes it superfluous and obsolete.
If you are going to use it at home 90% of the time, just get a PC.

>What do you need a laptop for?
I go to meetings where are show stuff to clients and I work in travel sometimes.
I'm sure smartphones are convenient, but you can't really do with them much more than content consuming or simple text editing.

Specs looks pretty nice. I definitely don't need that 4k touch display, it's a pity it doesn't have numpad, but still interesting.

>I go to meetings where are show stuff
s/are/I

>I go to meetings where are show stuff to clients
get a chromebook

>I go to meetings where are show stuff to clients and I work in travel sometimes.
Alright, you get a pass from me. A valid use and reason to own a laptop.

>pubg on an ultrabook

aren't chromebooks on approximately same level of functionality with smartphones, only with bigger screen and keyboard?

isn't that all you need of a laptop? phones are only shit for work because of their form factor, not software or hardware capabilities

Should be able to on low settings.

>I definitely don't need that 4k touch display
Then get the Full HD non touch model, literally the same specs, it's a lot cheaper too, you can upgrade the SSD to 1TB and it will end up costing $1900.

any opinions on system76?

An instruction set architecture (ISA) is an abstract model of a computer. It is also referred to as architecture or computer architecture. A realization of an ISA is called an implementation. An ISA permits multiple implementations that may vary in performance, physical size, and monetary cost (among other things); because the ISA serves as the interface between software and hardware. Software that has been written for an ISA can run on different implementations of the same ISA. This has enabled binary compatibility between different generations of computers to be easily achieved, and the development of computer families. Both of these developments have helped to lower the cost of computers and to increase their applicability. For these reasons, the ISA is one of the most important abstractions in computing today.

An ISA defines everything a machine language programmer needs to know in order to program a computer. What an ISA defines differs between ISAs; in general, ISAs define the supported data types, what state there is (such as the main memory and registers) and their semantics (such as the memory consistency and addressing modes), the instruction set(the set of machine instructions that comprises a computer's machine language), and the input/output model.

Overview Edit

An instruction set architecture is distinguished from a microarchitecture, which is the set of processor design techniques used, in a particular processor, to implement the instruction set. Processors with different microarchitectures can share a common instruction set. For example, the Intel Pentium and the Advanced Micro Devices Athlon implement nearly identical versions of the x86 instruction set, but have radically different internal designs.

The concept of an architecture, distinct from the design of a specific machine, was developed by Fred Brooks at IBM during the design phase of System/360.

costco.com/.product.1176444.html

Good deal on this?
$500
i5-7200U
8GB DDR4
256GB SSD
14" 1920x1080

It's ok

nah, never go budget. spend another month and save up for something decent
laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-swift-3

Would people recommend the the Xiaomi Air 13 ?
Also is getting an i7-6500U worth it over an i5-7200U ?

You're the fucking worst. Get out of here, normie.

The guy wants a laptop. We gather that you think a phone is a real computer. It's enough already. Take your mobile facebook and youtube apps and fuck off.

maybe 40-60 fps downscaled to 1080, game just runs like ass on everything

fucking embarrassing kys

>Xiaomi Air 13
not when Huawai matebook exists
>i7-6500U worth it over an i5-7200U
no, the new i5 is actually faster. U series i5/i7 are EXACTLY the same CPU, just the i7 is usually clocked faster. in most laptops it doesn't matter either since thermal throttling will make them all run at the same speed. laptop i7u is throwing your money in the garbage

a 1050ti can't hit a solid 60fps on low settings at 1080p? should be able to do it at 900p, especially with that actual quad core i7 in there

i think im buying it anyway

Sup anons what's the best laptop that I can get for 600yurobucks?

cool, it's definitely a good deal. But IMO having a laptop with shit build quality, screen, and inputs just isn't acceptable in 2017

Good info on the CPU's. Thanks.
Did you mean the Matebook X ? The price is much higher than the Xiaomi.

yeah it's higher but open box on newegg is dirt cheap

any recommendations on a cheap laptop for school? trying to not spend too much because I need to upgrade my 6 year old desktop too

What are some laptop where replacing the hard drive is as easy as the thinkpad t400/t420?

post desktop specs, and what you need the laptop for
t430

i have a i5 sandy bridge, hd6950, 8gb ram. wanted to upgrade to play newer fotm shit like pubg

i only need to do stuff like browse the internet/do assignments when im not at home. preferably something small (13.3") and 1080p. Not worried about running games on it since the games would play on it already run on toasters (stepmania, lunatic rave2, street fighter 4, melty blood)

ah yeah i'm not in the usa so can't really enjoy that . Xiaomi Air 13 can go down to 650€ on gearbest with deals for i5 configuration which is quite nice

hmm yeah, sounds like you actually could use a full system upgrade. You could eaasily put together a coffee lake i7 build with a 1060 for a decent amount of money

you should get a chromebook. a lot of them have good 1080p IPS displays and are great for simply writing papers, shiposting, and consuming internet media

Acer Aspire E5-575-33bm
$350
7-9 hour battery
Can run Overwatch @60 Fps

Just throw in another 4gb of RAM and you are good. laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-aspire-e-15-e5-575-33bm

i need a shitty laptop for notes

reccomendations?

old used thinkpad, x220 should be enough

Old Thinkpad will do but for school you want battery life. Also, X220 isn't really shitty enough

Behold
notebookcheck.net/Asus-Eee-PC-R052C-WHI002S.80428.0.html
Samsung NC10 will also do nicely.

Anyone got experience with the thinkpad yoga 260 or 460 post your thoughts on it

Whats the best laptop for general use, emulation and 1080p films. Budget is under £1000

I heard the Taiwanese are good at making inexpensive, yet good, laptops
I do play games, but most of them are CPU intensive as opposed to graphics. Any good choices?

I've been using a Lenovo yoga book as my only computer for over a month now. Call me crazy but I love this thing. It was only $300 to boot.

You could get GNU/Linux installed on them if you really want full functionality

Asus has a P-series laptop with a tray that pops out so you can swap RAM and HDDs.
Heavily considering it, since it's only $500 with a 7200U

What's a thin, light 12-13" laptop with good build quality and a 500gb ssd I can get for under $1500?

Is there such thing as a great laptop for $500-600?

>chink botnet
>no games

the fuck is this shit

I want one. I just bought a used laptop for $100, waiting for it to arrive.

What's the newest ToughBook I can get without Intel ME?

In the market of a new laptop. I have an x230 that I got in 2012. The laptop keeps shutting off at random times and I'm getting sick of it. I'm thinking of a macbook air. I just need it for PDF files and browse the web.

Is it worth paying $40 more dollars for a laptop with a GTX 940MX over one with Intel HD 620?

>no physical keyboard
The fact that you can also use it as a drawing pad actually makes it tempting, but this is a drawback.

Need a laptop for school. (Already have a desktop at home but can't be driving back and forth). Found a Dell Precision M4700 for $410 refurbished. Should I cop? Only really need it to use MATLAB and Solidworks. Of course I'll also have those programs installed at home so it will only really be used when I'm at school.

dell latitude 7480 or thinkpad 13

send help

amazon.com/Acer-Swift-i3-6100U-Windows-SF314-51-384Z/dp/B01LWNHW99?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIPHVZTVH6LZ5BFZA&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LWNHW99&ascsubtag=trd-2007510112-20

How's this laptop for school? I'm a business major, so I'll only need it for light work like excel and microsoft word.

>light work like excel and microsoft word.

If this is literally all you are doing then you can buy any laptop you want from the past 5 years.

Stuff isnt on the cheap side - but if u can stem the pricetag - ill say: go for it.

t. eurofag just about ordering an oryx or serval

good specs but sady not so aesteticly pleasing.

OP here again, currently can't decide between Dell XPS 15 and Thinkpad P51, any thoughts?

>adult playing games

based on looks i would choose the P51. new dells look wack yo. But specs>looks

What's with this "gaymes are for babys" meme on Sup Forums? Most people i heard that shit spend their free time watching dumb TV shows or some similar stupid shit. I'm not saying gaming is better than that, but at least it's not worse.
Is that how GNU/Linux elitists compensate disatvantages of their OS?

Can anyone recommend a decent but affordable tablet for drawing? I fell in love with the Surface Pro when I tried it at Best Buy but it's waaay too expensive. Is there a Surface Pro but for like a 4th of the price?

Is it bad I want a Razer Blade 14" 4KUHD gaming laptop, purely because it's the nicest looking powerful laptop that isn't a Macbook Pro?

I just need to get some stickers/black paint and cover up the tramp stamp

There really isn't anything wrong with it at all it's just that because people on here aren't complete Normies they probably like to think that there are more important things to do than waste time on games, television and other frivolous shit but in reality we're all guilty of throwing time away, I don't play games or watch tv but I spend 6 or more hours a day on the internet, mostly Sup Forums, so yeah,

Pic related

What do you guys think of Acer Predator?

I'm interested in this one, but not sure if it's worth it or there is a better option at same price tag:

Acer Predator 15 (G9-592-7253) 39,6 cm (15,6" Full HD IPS)
Intel Core i7-6700HQ
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M (8GB GDDR5 VRAM)
256GB SSD + 2TB HDD

>playing games is now normie
god i miss the 90s

yeh dialup was awesome wasnt it user

The times really have changed. Some say for the better but I don't think so.

What is the cutest 13'' laptop on the market today?

The build quality is a little disappointing.

specs are fantastic but get the fuck out with that trash gamer shit

XPS vs P51
GeForce GTX 1050 vs Quadro 2200 =XPS+
i7 7700HQ vs i7 7700HQ =draw
32GB max RAM vs 64 GB max RAM =P51+
1 disc slot vs 4 disc =P51+
no numpad vs numpad =P51+
good build quality vs military tier build quality =P51+

you can say it's nostalgia talking, but dial up wasn't bad
at least it forced you to use internet for things that really mattered for you instead of mindlessly refreshing sites with pretty pictures and posting stupid shit on social media, so there was much fewer idiots around

why all nicely spec'd laptops have to look like christmass tree vomit?

Would any other user recommend this? My elderwood laptop finally caved and now I need a new one, mainly going to be used for school, writing and some standard games like Dota. Longevity and build quality > specs

>$2000
>laptop
kek just get a $200 chromebook with remote server and stop this subhuman shit

>recommends chromebook
>calls others subhuman shit

i don't think number of disc slots is as important as graphics

A used W520 seems like your best bet. The Quadro chip can play some games at an acceptable framerate, pubg I'm uncertain of.

Kek. I paid $250 for my g51 ideapad with 1tb HDD, 8GB DDR3, and a quad core 2GHz A8 with 2GB of the RAM dedicated to the R5 gpu.

It runs a lot of games way better than expected (I chalk that up to the peasant tier 1366x768 resolution, the only flaw I've found with this machine) and runs Arch with KDE smooth as silk, and handles every VM I throw at it like a champ. Granted, I did yank the optical drive and put in a SSH.

It's like 3 years old so I'm sure Lenovo has put out a badass budget laptop that's even better since then

BUmp

chromebook or old thinkpad should be enough, but i don't really know what's your "general use"

basically almost anything can display 1080p movies in acceptable quality today

If "general use" includes playing relatively non demanding games such as Dota and perhaps some light image work like drawing?

Does the MSI GP62 7RD seem worth it at £750?

I live my Dell Inspiron 15 with the GeForce1050ti, but it's only around ~900, so I'm sure there's better

Hey can anyone recommend a good value netbook? I want to get my Dad one for his birthday, he used to use a really old Acer mini shit top to watch movies on YouTube/internet while reloading brass.

Can anyone here help me out with a good recommendation? Preferably something with good display/sound? Doesn't have to be much, since mainly for online streaming and surfing. Thanks

The comsumer based HP Envy with the MX150 graphics version seems pretty good for general use. Looks very light if you're ionto that, decent build quality, battery & specs

Check out a comparison game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3813&gid2=3455&compare=intel-hd-graphics-620-mobile-vs-geforce-940mx-2gb

Is it bad for my battery to leave my laptop suspended while unplugged? Will it kill it faster?

Oh man you're in for a bad ride on solidworks, Matlab will do just fine, it will load slowly and possibly freeze if you click on too many things or run an infinite loop but it will work.
Solidworks on the other hand will hold down your tiny integrated graphics and pull frames by the minutes, even if you're just sketching a cube.

If you're creating complex assemblies you need a good cpu, a bunch of ram and a decent gpu to render it all.

On a single part it's mainly GPU intesive.

A different solution is buying the laptop and using it to remote desktop to a better computer (like cloud computing), that's what I do for final renders, can't have the laptop sitting at 90 Celsius for 20 hours when the PC does it in 3

Sorry for the rambling I'm tired and trying to waste time before I have to do things

Bumping saw this deal too, is it worth it?

What the fuck are you trying to say

Saw this Dell Inspiron 15 7000 in PC World and really wanted to get it however they didn't have any in stock so I was wondering if there any similar laptop's I could buy? I really liked the small bezels, look, build quality and the high specs. If there are any cheaper laptop's I could get even if they have lower specs I don't mind, just really need a laptop.

Phone hardware wouldn't be sufficient for the work I do on my laptop, and the software is terrible.