What is /g's opinion on Microsoft Exchange?

Here is my opinion:
A lot of people use it.
It seems that nowadays people don't need to use it as much.
There's a word for this kind of behavior and it's
>lock-in
I think.
That's all, really.

botnet

>Microsoft
Do I really need to say more?

Thanks anons.
I knew it but your opinions confirm, it was a huge mistake

pretty nice considering normies only ever want to use outlook

Yes i dont get it. Outlook is the worst email client I have ever seen

yeah but good luck telling a lawyer to use zimbra desktop or thunderbird its just not going to happen

yes, sad but true

>H
>A
>I
>T
>>
>I
>T

I hait it too, user.

It has some problems, but overall its ok.

Fucking hate dealing with tech support though.

The web client is shit.
There is no good linux clients.

I have not found a good free alternative.
Free software people seem to focus on a single thing, so you can have great email clients, we can have a great calendar, but for some reason a combination of the two is too hard for people.

I've been using it for over a year, and I enjoy it overall but this

did you try zimbra?

As a piece of groupware, deploying it for your userbase of anything from 1 to 10000 users, it's really good, especially when used with teams/skype for business and sharepoint. It's pretty decent for allowing solid management of your users and in turn, their subscriptions etc.

Basically used nowadays as a sort of unavoidable way to pay for CALs that you might have maybe not paid for when you had your on-prem exchange, assuming you're going the office 365 route, like says, lock-in.

Easy enough to manage, though, very scalable, and if you know it inside and out you can land a pretty decent albeit boring job looking after it exclusively.

How would I rate it? "Depends on what you need" tier.

no.
I can see it manages email, calendar, contacts and files, but I can't see how.
It uses postfix as I already use, but it doesn't say what other tools they use to do the other things.
My current solution is postfix + nextcloud, but I should try it out if it works better with calendar invites and stuff like that.

What is your experience with using, maintaining and interfacing it with other systems (outlook and gmail)?

honestly we use it here at work and it works for everything pretty well the only thing youll probably have to get over is dealing with users complaining that its literally not outlook lol

also forgot to mention theres a connector that will install an a plugin for outlook to make it seamless

never worked in an organization large enough to make effective use of it.

To me, the critical feature of exchange is the interaction between calendar and email.
When you plan a meeting, you search for someones email, you see enough of their calendar to know if they are busy, you invite them, they click accept, and then you can all view it in your calendar.
Inviting someone who is not in your organization means you may not be able to see their calendar, but you can still send / accept invites.

Everything else does not seem important to me, obviously it would be nice if someone handled the maintenance of the mail server for me so I didn't have to test if google consider me spam this week.

easy fix for that is just check spamhaus once or twice a week if you can stay off that list your golden, and zimbra can do that stuff i know i sound like a shill but its not fair to be bled a shit ton of money for CALs

I don't think I have ever been on any spam list, but I have been blocked a ton of times, as the requirements for how the mail server should be setup is changed so often and nobody writes about how this should be.
But google hating a free and open internet is not a new thing.

best bet might be to use a vps as your email relay server for outgoing mail

Is there an open source alternative to this?

>Microsoft

lol are you asking ^?

*Maybe* Kolab

That's the closest I can think of.

I work with Exchange fairly regularly for work. It's not terrible, and typically it's pretty "set and forget" in a company our size. Exchange+Barracuda is a pretty easy platform to admin for us.

underaged babby confirmed. you clearly have never used lotus notes.

Some stupid things like rpc,edb,oab could bring headache but I have no choice but to maintain it albeit begrudgingly

Unix philosophy. Thunderbird has decent calendar support now

Relay it out via a server / provider that is not blacklisted.

See Kolab Now

Don't be a fag, just pay.

IT department at work just switched to Ubuntu entirely

Feels pretty good desu.