/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting
forum.manjaro.org/t/lock-on-suspend/27820/7
lwn.net/Articles/130696/
kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018011/richard-stallman-says-microsofts-linux-love-in-is-a-ploy-to-extinguish-free-software
familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99L5-BS**/dist.jpg
path.to.site
jbzdy.pl/
yarchive.net/comp/linux/gcc_vs_kernel_stability.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install GuixSD

im going to bed
goodnight gnu-males

echo 'bye' > /user/power/state

LTS or regular Ubuntu minimal + XFCE? I kinda want newer kernel versions.

>I kinda want newer kernel versions.
Usually not an issue for ubuntu, new versions are added as backports/"hardware enablement kernels" to versions.

I mostly want to install never Ubuntu version than 16.04 because it doesn't have firmware for some of my hardware. Never kernel out of the box is just a bonus.

>operating system
>firmware
w-what?

How do i get never kernels on Ubuntu 16.04? I'm on 4.10.35 right now.

It didn't have necessary firmware out of the box and the hardware still works weird even after i installed it manually. Thats why i want to try Ubuntu version that have that firmware out of the box.

on ubuntu ffmpeg won't capture desktop audio, i have tried messing with alsamixer and making sure all volumes were up, as well as pulseaudio. i cant figure out what is blocking it recording loopback or internal audio.

I've installed i3 as my wm but how do you get to change keyboard layouts?

you mean drivers?

literally firmware files.

kernal blobs my friend

What kind of problems should I fix on a new Manjaro install before even encountering them? (not sure if stating it would mean something on the post)

Also, is plugging a monitor/projector will instantly work out of the box? I can't test it out except on the actual day I will use it and I won't bother plugging my flash drive on their shit computers.

for some reason on all the current manjaro installs, after install I get no bootable device and kicked into grub rescue

I use i3 in arch, would consider switching to a non systemd distro but my current setup relies on what i think is system d stuff to operate (udev rules and systemctl services to lock at suspend, switch monitors etc). how easy is it to get this going without system d?

help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting

Not sure about udev rules, but without systemd you'd probably have the fork named "eudev".
As for lock at suspend, you're referring to locking the screen? This might be of interest: forum.manjaro.org/t/lock-on-suspend/27820/7

"user you replied to" here, also happened on my case, fixed mine by switching from disabling Legacy Boot / UEFI to BIOS.

the livig meme

b-but firmware is located inside hardware...

n-no p-please redpill me

technically he's right
firmware is located at the hardware
drivers are located in kernel modules

are you fucking stupid? firmware *IS* in the hardware you stupid cunt. how do you think hardware works without connecting to the internet or to external storage. dumb reddit motherfuckers i swear.

>firmware *IS* in the hardware you stupid cunt.
lwn.net/Articles/130696/

i know im right, but is OS even able to modify firmware? i mean PC (bios) architecture

s-so firmware rootkit is possible?

it can livepatch it, yes, which doesn't overwrite whats on the ROM.

The kernel (Linux) consists of several modules, you can see them as hardware-software-language traslators. Some hardware doesn't tell the language it speaks, but it provides a driver in binary form (blobs), which allow the kernel to communicate with the hardware.

>kernel to communicate with the hardware
its driver definition

Ofc there is hardware which contains microcode, but this code aren't drivers which are needed to communicate with the OS.

>current state of Sup Forums

Yes

Let me rephrase because I suck on English, and bump my question because this thread is a fucking disaster.

Are there any problem I should fix on a new GNU/Linux installation, before even encountering the said problem?

4.11 is in the main repos
4.12 is not available
4.13 is currently in ubuntus testing area

also there is this fucking goldmine for both legacy and current kernel versions, compiled for Ubuntu by the official kernel team:
kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Has anyone installed Linux, the kernel, on GuixSD yet?

Why don't you just install the needed drivers if you really want them?

You mean any drivers pertaining to missing blobs in the libre kernel? Is it really that easy?

Sure, just check the versions.

Nice botnet.

Sure, just check the triples.

Does anyone know a good feeds reader with blacklist? I'm using Liferea at the moment.

>kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
How do i use it?

Had a look at GuixSD. Maybe i'm just a brainlet, but I can't figure out that fucking config file. It includes a mention of the root file system, but am I supposed to also include the other ones like a separate boot partition or my swap? If so, where do I put those? The parentheses placement doesn't make any goddamn sense.

What do? Trying to do a net install of tumbleweed and this is the first thing that pops up. Ive never had it done this before

happy 34th, GNU

Take a look at NixOS first then. Guix uses the Scheme language which is fairly confusing itself because everything is done with lists.
E.g. instead of functions being "f(x)" they are "(f x)" and instead of "1+1" it's "(+ 1 1)"

But nix uses its own language that it made solely for the purpose of using it with the package manager so it's a lot more intuitive. I still like the idea of guix better though even if it is less intuitive

>Using Windows 10, developers enjoy the freedom to choose the tools that they want, need, or prefer, whether they're commercial or free, closed or open source, or any combination therein.
lmao these weasels
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3018011/richard-stallman-says-microsofts-linux-love-in-is-a-ploy-to-extinguish-free-software

Once you get used to it, everything makes sense and parentheses vanish (you just regonize them as "start" and "end" of a sentence).

>Windows 10 the best development environment

>minecraft ads in menu 'start'

Is there a utility which can generate bash autocompletitions of manpages?

Who cares anyway. The popularity of GNU/Linux pretty much only matters to me insofar as muh gaymen goes. And it's probably only a matter of time until Microsoft absorbs the Linux kernel or some other relatively open source alternative, and Vulkan is pretty much set to overtake DX12. So probably in a decade or so it won't even matter if devs make games for GNU/Linux, they'll "just work"
So plebs can keep their walled gardens for all I care.

Don't know, but it would be pretty useful.

I think fish does this automatially.

Last thread I asked about a problem, but I found myself a good solution; I'm posting it here in the hopes it helps someone else.

The problem: too many country-specific dictionary entries you don't care about, cluttering programs like Firefox.
The solution: open /usr/share/hunspell as root and delete the ones you don't want. Most of them are symlinks anyway. (You can also rename them if you want to remove country codes.)

Before: After: see pic.

As a side note, why do people have such a retarded association between countries and languages? It's not like languages give a flying fuck about the government you pay taxes to.

They sometimes fuck with the repositories.
Try it again later and it should be fixed.

Same thing with timezones isn't it?
I hate when you get a timezone selector that doesn't just do UTC+X but is just a list of cities and you have to pick the one closest to you

For timezones it's understandable though, due to daylight saving times.

Wich one I should install ?

Gentoo.

but I don't have gentoo iso :C

Because there are some local differences.
Removing files installed by your package manager like that is bad.

Install Gentoo.
dd disk into .iso
Install Gentoo.

how can I download all images from a site?

all the URLs follow this format

familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99L5-BS**/dist.jpg

where the asterisks are either a random number or a random letter. is there a way to write a script that will test every combo of numbers/letters and wget them?

Xubuntu or Artful.

i personally
$ wget $(curl path.to.site | grep -e http.*\.jpg)
but when i wrote it here sme user show me that its possible with wget only, but now i cant find snippet

>Because there are some local differences.
There are local differences, but they don't give a flying fuck about country borders - you'll often find more relevant differences inside countries than between them, trying to shoehorn governments:dictionaries like that is dumb.

For Spanish it's even worse. ALL OF THEM were symlinks to es_ES files. (It makes sense, since there's a single organ behind them.)

>Removing files installed by your package manager like that is bad.
It's just hunspell, not a critical package. At most the system update will override my changes.

I'm using Ubuntu MATE Artful at the moment. It's fairly stable for a pre-release, so I guess Artful?

>so I guess Artful?
Yeah. I decided to install it too. Will wait for full release and mini.iso + Xubuntu core it.

WRONG, my bad should be
$ wget $(curl jbzdy.pl/ | grep -Eo http.*\.jpg)
(wrong grep flags)

Can't wget do all this by itself?

alright i found anons snippet
wget -nc -nd -nv -e robots=off -ER html,s.jpg -rHD i.4cdn.org

How to make terminal experience #comfy?
I use centos minimal for server.
Tmux, zsh/fish shell, what else? Also, cannot make it true color, even though I did install ncurse library or whatever it's called + TERM=xterm, does not work.

man wget

- check if you want span hosts or full recursive
-A which file formats should be accepted
-R which file formate should be rejected

>robots=off
you monster

:^)

>TERM=xterm
Why not xterm-256color?

What are some cool terminal commands?

ponysay

$ cheat(){ curl "cheat.sh/$1"; }
$ cheat wget

animals

qrencode
wgetpaste

kill -9 62645797

Theres something simliar which prints stackoverflow answers.

$ howdoi convert unix time to date in bash
date -d @1267619929

wut?

Neither works for true color.

>friendly

yarchive.net/comp/linux/gcc_vs_kernel_stability.html
>Cry me a river, Jeff.
>REKT

friendly is for pussies. if everyone had been born based like Linus, the programming world wouldn't have turned into the shithole it is today

-9 is bad. Never use -9.

>http

Which terminal are you using?

>program ignores all signals including interrupt
>no my cargo cult says we cant use SIGKILL, the program will finish eventually

get fucked kiddo

There's no problem, I ventured into the unsafe world of http on your behalf and quoted the relevant parts for your enjoyment

Ukuu kernel utility tool

The one that comes with centos minimal.