Can a laptop replace a desktop now?

I haven't build a new PC in 7 years or so, my current rig has the following specs:

>i5 2500k
>16 nigs of RAM
>3TB HDD
>150gb ssd
>960 gtx

Along the years I upgraded storage, memory and the GPU. I also have a shitty dell lattitude laptop for work.

Is it worth it building a new rig? Are there any laptops worth considering as a replacement? Its been a decade since I last checked so it can't be that hard to imagine nowadays, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

mydealz.de/deals/gaming-pc-konfigurierbar-auf-ryzen-basis-amd-ryzen-1600-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-geforce-1070-asus-b350-mainboard-be-quiet-pure-power-10-500w-quake-champions-ac-origins-fur-999eur-csl-1050543?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you need more speed, you need it
if you don't, you dont... is that hard to understand?
also, new intel stuff launching in like a week, hopefully prices drop on the "old" stuff...

that has nothing to do with the question

New intel shit's coming out in a week, Amd Zen+ line next year (Feb - March). What do you need a new config for? Your shit is fine unless you're getting bottlenecked or something. Wait for next year, GPU prices might settle down a bit as well. Get a used ThinkPad X1 carbon if you don't like your laptop.

I'm aware that there is little need to upgrade, even shitty modern vidya runs perfectly fine.

Back in 2010 it would've stupid to even consider getting a laptop over a PC. But now that CPU progress has somewhat stalled and GPUs are rather common on mobile devices, I thought I'd ask.

That has EVERYTHING to do with the question.

The question was "Is it worth building a new rig"
the answer is "If you need to"

How dense are you?

>Can a laptop replace a desktop now?

literally the thread's subject

maybe kekdddit is more your speed, get out faggot

So are you denying that answered the question "Is it worth it building a new rig"?

You are aware you asked 4 separate questions right?

>he doesn't understand context

just get the fuck back to where you belong, nigger

Breh welcome to the 21st century. The smartphone is replacing the laptop. The laptop took out the desktop ages ago.

Current nvidia laptop GPUs are pretty good. I'd say a gtx 1050 ti equipped laptop is fairly decent value compared to a desktop. Beyond that things get expensive though.

depends on a laptop, but its possible

Try this cancer link. Its a fucking good combination. I think. Not sure about the 500W.

mydealz.de/deals/gaming-pc-konfigurierbar-auf-ryzen-basis-amd-ryzen-1600-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-geforce-1070-asus-b350-mainboard-be-quiet-pure-power-10-500w-quake-champions-ac-origins-fur-999eur-csl-1050543?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=

Exactly all the more reason the later questions were more relevant than the one posted in your subject.

What are those things on the ram? Tell me they're not heatsinks.

Unless your computing needs have changed there is no point in upgrading.

Are you asking if there is a laptop that can replace a desktop? Never has, probably never will.

I recently purchased a ASUS Notebook with a I5-7200U and I'm pretty underwhelmed with it. For being a mid range it sure feels cheap.

>just get the fuck back to where you belong
>I say this while also saying things like
>Its been a decade since I last checked
Not even him but you don't seem to have the authority to tell others they don't belong here.

sure you're not

the other fag was a good fag and went back

>I haven't build a new PC in 7 years or so

Coincidentally:
Laptops haven't gotten any faster in 7 years or so.

>double spacing to seem more like /r/eddit
Now I feel like I fell for it

Ehh laptops sure do have somewhat decent GPUs but they're still bad for gaming because they overheat, atleast most of the entry level ones. External GPUs might get more popular soon, Apple added eGPU support very recently as well. And there's always that chink GPU bracket you can use with your laptop. What are your requirements? Do you need to be able to play on the go or do you want to save some desk space?
Mini ITX builds are more viable, look into that if you're planning to build in next few years. If you're looking for laptops with decent GPUs, wait for Raven Ridge. Mobile AMD APUs with Vega graphics are coming out soon, around Christmas I think.

see? you'd be much happier were you belong

>but they're still bad for gaming because they overheat
You sure, user? Seems like everything these days have double fans and shit.

Not that user, Mine certainly do not have dual fans. and with dedicated graphics cards you get higher baseline power consumption.

I'm talking about laptops here. Thermal throttling gets super common after 2 years from purchase, unless you clean your laptop and change thermal paste. Again this is for most entry level and "mid range" "gaming" laptops.
If all you're going to play is Skyrim, Csgo and rocket league, any newer intel chip's onboard or AMD APUs should suffice.

And higher power consumption -> More heat generated

There are laptops better than your current rig but the main issue with laptops is the fact that they are portable so the ones that beat your rig are often less portable than most laptops and lack significant battery power.

That too. But anyone buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics card should understand the enormous drain that the second piece of sillicon provides.

It doesn't matter so much though because if you're gonna play on a laptop, it's presumed that it's plugged in at all times.

>nigs
lol

Rip. All the gtx 1050 and above laptops I see have dual fan cooling solutions.