/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>View this handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount; new i3s will be old i5 equivalents
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.brianmoses.net/2017/03/diy-nas-2017-edition.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2-qrX8RGLCs
youtube.com/watch?v=j7MFvGHx70g
pcpartpicker.com/list/mKRbbj
plebbit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X3QRQJR
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kNkPZ8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Hannibal_99/saved/DZXbjX
amazon.ca/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING/dp/B01K5F8MJK/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That instruction is for a human, to whom it should be obvious that a keyboard needs to be plugged in before those buttons are pressed.

Fuck off.

i just bought GTX770 for 90$ from a friend. Is that a good price?

I downloaded free win7 to USB. I'm kind of afraid to boot from it. Could the OS be tempered?

Help me decide.

Eh, not the greatest. Hope it was the 4GB version

For those prices the bottom 1080, but I doubt you need anything more than a 1060

Possibly, but if you downloaded from a relatively reputable source you're fine.

My current PC is 5 years old and all I use it for is to download and play films. I own two thinkpads that I use as Sup Forums machines. I do kinda wanna build a PC though.

Wish I could justify it.

Will a 1060 get me 144hz on ultra on 1080p with modern games?

no. 60hz.

Ewww, 1080 it is then.

A pity the 1070s are so inflated.

Anyone know how the 1080 armor is as a card? I heard it was a bit hot but IDK much about graphics cards.

So basically this whole thing is question of how elaborate you want it to be and therefore how much money and/or time you want to spend. I personally enjoy the tinkering just as much as gaming so I can't help you with the decision on what to focus.
I currently use just a raspberry pi with a usb hard drive as a network streaming storage but this is already too slow and annoys me which is why I'm currently building a very similar machine to the one I made you earlier, except less powerful. The build I gave you is really overkill already and can be used to directly output video stuff on a screen, run windows and act just like a normal pc that happens to be accessible from your network to other devices. This is usually not something you want because it uses too much power and isn't quite as useful for a pure NAS use.
I'd rather go a bit lower on the hardware and then run FreeNAS on it. This is much more practical as it has tons of info out there on how to use it and the software-raid and overall configuration. You need another PC to access it though.
This allows you however to install the OS on a usb dongle and therefore offers you even more capability to add storage.
I'd suggest to read here:
blog.brianmoses.net/2017/03/diy-nas-2017-edition.html
And if videos are more your thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=2-qrX8RGLCs
youtube.com/watch?v=j7MFvGHx70g

This is the build that I have on order right now if it's any help:
pcpartpicker.com/list/mKRbbj

Does anyone have any advice on tracking down a good used Optiplex without resorting to ebay?

Thanks to the guys in the previous thread, put my card in and she booted up a treat. Can't wait to get my case hopefully on friday and build it for real.

Also the 24 pin MoBo connector is a cunt to get out. I'm just leaving it in.

Most big PC stores have a used section where you can inspect them yourself. What country are you in?

USA, Connecticut specifically. It's like a wasteland here.

Well I can't help you with that then. BestBuy has a decent refurbished section, if you trust them more than ebay I'd try them out.

I cant find sqt so: I'm buying a cheap laptop, 1366 x 768 IPS display or 1080 TN?

What's the 411 on Kingston and Western Digital SSDs? Are they any better than say a Sandisk Plus? Benchmarks point to no, but I don't know if they're trustworthy for real usage. Also there's the failure rate to consider - apparently Sandisk's not that good in that respect?

I bought a gigabyte a b 350 gaming 3 over a tomahawk ? Did I fucked up ? I'm planning on to OC my cpu

I need to buy a new card because mine is dead. Which card will let me play bannerlord at 1080 144hz when it launches?

What price would a GTA V Ultra Settings tier PC be?
Preferably with Intel CPU

Is it worth buying a 1080 right now? Will the new lineup be dropping soon and I'll be out $700?

The RAM I bought is rated at 3200MHz but on the BIOS it said it was at 2133MHz. Do I have to clock the RAM up myself?

>intel CPU

pic rel my current pc :^)
i care about emulation user, pcsx2 hates amd

IT LIVES.

any random hues here know of a lesser known but good store to buy ssd and psu's?

I mean, one with a good asssortment of brands and reasonable prices. Kinda tired of finding only sandisks plus, no ultras. And samsung evos are also kinda hard to find.

>Building a FreeNAS without ECC memory

Isn't that a bad idea with anything ZFS based or has that been debunked?

No such thing as a graphics card getting you Hz, retards.

Check benchmarks

I'm trying to build my dad a computer to replace the old prebuilt one. He needs dual monitors so I'm trying to decide what's the best budget way of going about it. Is there a MB that can natively support two monitors with an integrated GPU or do I need to find a cheap discrete one?

Thanks for your insightful input retard.

Yes, RAM profiles can be set automatically in bios

I just can't decide what to buy (card wise). I want to play games on a 144hz 1080p monitor, while driving a second monitor for work.

1070s and 1080s are so close in price in Canada it's hard to justify the 1070, so I'm wondering if I should get a 1060 6gb for like $350 or a low end 1080 like the MSI Armor for like $700.

Which is a better long term buy? When do you think I will need to replace both of them?

Can someone please tell me how to get windows 10 for cheap?

also

Recommend me a monitor with the best bang for its buck?

plebbit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Download W10 on a USB drive straight from Microsoft then buy a key on ebay or reddit for $20-$50. Most universities give Windows for free so students resell the keys for cheap.

Would the GPU be the thing to upgrade if I'm looking to slowly update my system? Looking to build a new computer in the future but just for now. PC is used for gaming pretty much exclusively. Have about a $250 budget for upgrades right now, so may just save up more for the full system update.

How many years do you think a 1080 will last?

No problem. Glad you got schooled.

At 1080p, the GTX 1080 is about 70% more powerful than the 6GB 1060.. so you be the judge.

Yes, you could get the 1060 3GB

Whats the deal with timing and latency on RAM?
I just got a great deal on 3200mhz DDR4 ram, but is more important to have low latency?

got this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

has
Timing 16-18-18-38
CAS Latency 16

Why do Vega cards never get suggested here? I don't know much about gpu's so I'm just curious

Would it be worth it to upgrade from a 970 to a 980? Is there a big enough performance difference between the two to warrant an upgrade?

no, waste of money.
Save $ for a 1080

IIRC because miners have inflated them into the stratosphere

No

Overpriced

Not more important

How would my temps be in a NZXT S340 elite with a 1080Ti + 7700k?
Will use AIO and replace stock fans with better ones. Will it be enough? thing seems to barely have any fans compared to most comparable cases.

Well in my opinion it's not a godd idea however there are 2 reasons this build doesn't havae that:
a) I don't plan to put any sensitive or extremely inmportant data on it
b) if this works as well as I thought I'm probably gonna replace the mainboard and ram with a supermicro or asrock rack mITX board that has the full 8 sata ports and ecc ram. The board, ram and m.2 ssd go in a 30$ case with a dvd drive and give it to my parents as an email writing machine for christmas.
The "test run" is probably gonna last a few weeks only. Basically until I've decided on and recieved the final motherboard. I'll then add more HDDs, it's just that right now I didn't wanna spend another 500$ for hardware in a project that might not even work as well as I hoped.

Is it even worth buying the 1200 if I'm broke as shit or should I just get the X4 950 now and light it on fire when Zen 2 comes?

Zen 2 isn't until 2019

>Ewww, 1080 it is then

A 1080 won't get it done either unless you're willing to compromise quite a bit on settings. The "overkill for 1080p" meme is a meme.

buy an i9 so it can set itself on fire and you can cut out the middleman

covfefe lake when

Emulators hate FX chips because they're fucking garbage and have the single-threaded performance of a Core 2 Duo. That isn't a problem with Ryzen, which has more than enough single-threaded performance for emulators like PCSX2. Hell, the RPCS3 team do most of their update videos on a Ryzen system.

>100FPS
>TW3
>not overkill
Quit living on paper

He specifically asked about powering a 144Hz monitor in modern games on ultra settings, retard.

Since you don't know how high refresh rate monitors work, you're the retard here.

I've explained it a thousand times, so I'm not going to bother again

Can anyone rec a good place to get cheap/ secondhand monitors. just making a poverty build right now to see how good I can get for how cheap

Thrift stores tend to have the best prices.

>Which card will let me play bannerlord at 1080 144hz when it launches
we have no fucking idea about bannerlord's performance. it uses a new engine by taleworlds so we can only guess how it will perform. achieving 144fps @ 1080p might vary from gtx 1060 to 1080ti

tfw missed out on the cyberpower pc deals

I think I'll go with the 1080, ti is just too much

How is this card?

amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X3QRQJR

tfw missed out on decently priced gpu's before the cryptomining frenzy

I have finished my first build and am trying to install Windows 7 via a USB Drive. The installation starts up, but when I get to the "Select language" menu to start, neither my keyboard or mouse work even though they work fine in the BIOS. I have verified that they're plugged into the USB 2.0 slots.

What's going on?

What mobo chipset do you have?

>Windows 7

y tho

I know exactly how high refresh rate monitors work (it's not rocket science you narcissistic neckbeard), and if you're going to try and claim that 100fps looks as smooth as 144fps on a 144Hz display, I'm going to laugh my fucking arse off at you.

Next iteration of Zen then, smartass

If you are trying to install Windows 7 on this year's platforms USB support doesn't work out of the box. Google to check for workarounds since you will need to modify your iso for it ... or use a PS/2 keyboard if your motherboard still has a PS/2 port

I-I don't know how they work.

Will the 1080 work? I'm new to this.

Pull the stick out of your ass m8 I wasn't even being a smartass.

Oh god I had to install Win10 so I could use my Ryzen core and now Cortana won't fuck off what do

AMD B350

If I'm going to be using an operating system I'd rather have one that worked like XP did as opposed to this nu-"We want the Apple audience" shit that Windows 8 and 10 have going on.

>not learning the blackmagic (tm) required to get ryzen to work with windows 7

Pinnacle Ridge is coming next year, that's the next iteration

It's basically the same, and you're a retard. You don't have to maintain a locked 144FPS on a 144Hz monitor. You idiots think that because ideally you maintain a locked 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor, you have to do the same on a 144Hz monitor without understanding why maintaining the same FPS as Hz on the lower Hz monitor is important (more so on the AMD cards, because Nvidia cards have Adaptive Vsync).

Additionally we're talking about TW3 here, not CSGO. Even 60FPS in TW3 is superb from a gameplay standpoint.

Read up on screen tearing, Vsync, and framerate limiters. Bottom line is that you're definitely not trying for 144FPS unless you're playing CSGO

Can't install Win7 directly on a B350 (or any Ryzen chipset). Not sure if there's a work around like there was for the Kaby Lake chipsets

You asked for Zen 2, cunt, and that's what he gave you.

>tfw Cortana is not available in my region so I get a normal start menu search instead.

>It's basically the same
No it isn't, and you're a retard. I own a 144Hz monitor and know exactly what a solid 144fps looks like and what a variable framerate below that looks like. One is smooth, the other is garbage. Even G-Sync doesn't fix the obvious flaws entirely.

> Even 60FPS in TW3 is superb
Jesus. Stop shitting up the board and misleading people with your pleb standards.

>J-Just cap at 30fps, you can b-barely tell the d-difference!
Fucking sub-human filth.

Has anyone given the Inwin 301 a shot yet? Is it worth getting or should you just stick to the Define Mini C?

My build

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kNkPZ8

Going for a 144hz 1080p build, already have the processor.

(I'm going for a white theme)

You don't need a 1080 for 1080p (ironically) but otherwise you are set.

>a variable framerate below that looks like.
>variable
Frame. rate. limiter.
Retard.

>30fps
Nice strawman. You have no argument, so you reach.

holy shit wat

It's only like 100 bucks more than the 1070, hence my thought it might be better to buy it.

I'm kind of scared to do the whole "sell your card each gen" thing in case I get scammed.

thats a really good deal

Going for a gaming pc build. I already have a case and a cd drive.

I dont know much about where to search for cheap parts but this is my build.

850 budget

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Hannibal_99/saved/DZXbjX

The prices for some are outdated here are the prices

Cpu - intel i5 6600k £213.51

Cpu cooler - cooler master hype£25

Motherboard - asus z170 £107

Memory - corsair £147.58

Storage - ssd £50.07 hdd £60.78

Video card - 1060 6gb £261.68

Power supply - cougar gxs £61.99

Comes upto around 920 pounds

How can i cut this down, ik intel is overpriced but i really like it. Shopping mainly at amazon

Swapping i3 for xeon and installing new graphics card today. Just want to make sure I have this order right.

>uninstall Intel HD-whatever graphics driver
>shut down
>put graphics card in
>Plug monitor into graphics card output (?)
>turn on
>install newest drivers for graphics card

Am I missing anything here? The part where I uninstall the existing graphics driver weirds me out

If people buy a mobo for Coffee Lake, will it still be used for whatever the fuck is next?

This whole Intel shit sounds like pure blunder everywhere. If you get an AM4 board you get to enjoy 2 years of upgrades at least, while Intel's shit seems worse than the usual jewing, holy shit.

What do you guys know about this card?

amazon.ca/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING/dp/B01K5F8MJK/

Seems to be pretty priced down, but it might be a meme.

The AM4 refreshes are not guaranteed to work with the current Mobos avaliable, something can always happen. I also don't expect it to beat intel in single core performance or an extreme IPC boost. Most likely if you are on a budget get the r5 1600 and be done with it.

knowing Intel, probably not. Intel likes to change the entire socket every 2 years. The LGA1151 socket becomes 2 years old in January.

It just sounds like a terrible deal to get a motherboard with zero upgrades at all, unless CL is already some sort of second coming.

I don't expect Zen+ and Zen 2 to shit all over CL, but still you have something to look forward to in the future, compared to "buy a mobo for 1 processor family only goy". It's like Intel is going out of their way to make AMD seem the only reasonable purchase these days, again unless CL is truly amazing, seems like a waste of time to just build for it and next year you'll need another mobo for what's ahead.

But will the next gen processors be worth the extra 200 dollars for a 15% IPC improvement at best?

The majority of users want something cheap and that can just make games work. From that perspective it is popular reason to buy AMD over Intel now. The main reason you want to choose intel is for the fastest speeds in games all around.

Is it worth getting Ryzen 3 1300x over 1200?

>No i5s unless 50% discount; new i3s will be old i5 equivalents
>AMD Shilling general

It's true though. Why would anyone buy an i5 right now?

Any recommendations for freesync 144hz 1080p monitors? Preferably under £300

I agree that there are AMD shills here but 7th gen i5s will probably be outdated and stutters currently in the latest games with its price. With icelake coming out with an 8-core CPU next year its kind of hard to predict what will be the next standard for core count.

If you can wait I'd at least see what icelake can give out. Plus coffeelake has 6 core i5 CPUs coming out so...

Don't go with the top one my friend has it right now and it's doing about as well as the 1060 6gb he sold me.