Technology brainlet

>technology brainlet
>never used any operating system but windows and ubuntu on a consumer level
>decide to install gentoo on my secondary laptop
>don't know how anything works
>took 20 minutes to realize how to create bootable USB with Universal USB Installer
>think i've got this one in the bag
>boot from USB
>fucking text lines going at superspeed
>whatthefuckisgoingon.rar
>stuck with a command line displaying "livecd", which i presume is my live bootable USB
>go on gentoo handbook
>nothing there correlates with what i have
>start sweating
>randomly typing shit like "config" and "boot", nothing works
help Sup Forums.
i have no idea what's going on.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/canonical-is-working-on-adding-captive-portal-detection-to-ubuntu-17-10-517141.shtml
edx.org/course/how-code-simple-data-ubcx-htc1x
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Okay, sir. No need to worry. Just let me take remote control of your computer and you'll have your brand new Gentoo system in a jiffy.

Don't install Gentoo.

shit i just realized what a brainlet i am.
i tried installing the minimal disk, when i was supposed to mount the LiveCD iso.

Sounds like the beginning of a journey.

d..do i press win+r?

give me your ip and password. I will ssh you and fix you up in a jiffy.

>pull out USB from ubuntu laptop
>plug into my computer
>THIS MEDIUM IS CORRUPTED FORMAT REQUIRED.
>mfw

>format USB
>can't format this drive
>wot
>i just broke a fucking USB drive somehow by fucking unplugging it
>this shouldn't even be physically possible

downloading this right now.

*hangs up*

NANI?!

>successfully figured out how to do this by finding a good guide
>downloading the iso for final installation.
>partitions created successfully
Am I doing it right?

>>can't format this drive
You can fix this by using some hp partition tool on windows I think. On linux I just usually dd /dev/zero over the mbr.

>falling for the meme
kek, Windows will always be there for you lad

>FUCKING IN THE MIDDLE OF INSTALL
>"""""""""""""""NOT ENOUGH MEMORY LEFT ON DEVICE""""""""""""""""".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>USB is 32GB.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laptop is 1TB.

Fuck this I'm installing Fedora.

>fedora
get ready for selinux to fail because selinux blocked it.

setenforce 0

>setenforce was blocked by selinux
what u gonna do now?

>feel like a brainlet installing fedora
>user-friendly normie interface.
>no manual installation required

fedora is pretty low quality honestly
ubuntu is better
Dont fall for the ubuntu memes. Its pretty much just Linux Desktop Edition

Only reason I'm not using Ubuntu right now is because of the Amazon connections.

just install sabayon and remove the bloat. you will have systemd though so no autism points for you in Sup Forums

pretty sure theyve removed that in recent versions. and that is only on unity anyway. so ubuntu mate and xubuntu are fine

>install fedora
>how the fuck do i set up wifi
HEEEELP

You need proprietary drivers, which many distribution don't install out of the box. Look up your wifi card's driver on Fedora's wiki, and it'll tell you what to do.

alright my real advice is this. You should never go from Ubuntu or windows (especially when using it casually) to gentoo. Start learning about how OSes work, about there history. If you know some CS it'll help you understand why your doing something. Gentoo is beautiful, but with the purest form of choice out there, you have to pay the price of " I know my shit".

Gentoo is for autistic retards, just install Arch if you want to learn how your shit works.

>>technology brainlet
>>never used any operating system but windows and ubuntu on a consumer level
You are already more techsavvy than most, only bother with gentoo if you think it's fun

>MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM
>CANCEL MY MEETING
>PACMAN BROKE MY xorg.conf AGAAAAIIIINNNNNN

Fucking xorg.conf I think I spent 10 days with raspbian trying to calibrate a touch screen until I discovered a secret fact about raspbian and Unix in general

>Garbage 30 cent OS

Seriously I had to reinstall it twice because it's own drivers had conflicts and it wouldn't let me even save the configuration once I made a successful one.

>Same touchscreen on Windows calibrated within 20 seconds after downloading eGalax touch drivers FOR WINDOWS.

Thing is, I DO know how to program in Java, Python and Turing, and I understand how programs function.
But it's the particular details of things like drivers, and other deeper parts of the system that I can't understand, but you need to know them in order to have everything run smoothly and properly.
How do I learn the more specific details of OSes, in particular Linux?

I don't think ubuntu 17.04 is compatible with Samba. Definitely not the graphical tool to set it up.
>MFW All I wanted was a linux media server to hold my media for my windows desktop but Ubuntu failed me.

If you're running gnu/linux you only need the stage3.

I've had a smooth experience with Xubuntu, but I've never tried vanilla Ubuntu. At any rate, Lubuntu's got some issues. Tried it for the first time today. Quirky install bugs that magically disappear after sufficient tries, a locking program, Light Locker, that *doesn't work* (i.e., hit "lock computer"... nothing happens) until replaced with XScreenSaver, which still can't help the fact that locking on lid closure/suspend is broken despite settings, no good dark themes, kek.

For the community's sake, I hope vanilla Ubuntu is more polished, desu. Related, nothing but the browser seems to be able to get through a network with a captive portal despite having signed in via the browser. I Googled, and I found this:
news.softpedia.com/news/canonical-is-working-on-adding-captive-portal-detection-to-ubuntu-17-10-517141.shtml
It's unclear if this means that things like the package manager or Dropbox (which, btw, is a CLI background program in Linux -- you gotta love it) will be able to negotiate portals for the first time, but it'd be very surprising that that wasn't something that worked until now. Maybe it's just another Lubuntu idiosyncrasy.

If you want to teach yourself how the install process works then go ahead and stick with Gentoo, but otherwise I don't see the point of using it. There are tons of distros with automated installers and they have those for a reason. It's what people want. I currently use Debian with nonfree packages and Manjaro. Both are installed on SSDs and they still don't take a lot of space. I think bloat is something to worry about if you are building an embedded device, not something a home user on a laptop needs to think about.

Forget Gentoo.

Seriously, install GuixSD. It's the future of Operating Systems, a totally functional system you can declare in just one text file to configure everything. If you don't know scheme, then take this course: edx.org/course/how-code-simple-data-ubcx-htc1x

>on a consumer level
How do you consume a program?
Did you delete your program after you used it?

Just connect to this website ok sir ? DABLIU DABLIU DABLIU DOT PAJET DOT COM .

you weren't actually supposed to install gentoo OP, it's a meme

You need to type startx just like in your backtrack cracked uber hacker edition cd!