My sister is going back to College and wants me to find her a good laptop. I know nothing about computers...

My sister is going back to College and wants me to find her a good laptop. I know nothing about computers, any suggestions guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19992655?pi22229=17
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

laptop general is --> that way you moron.

Maybe he wants good info rather than fanboi rantings.

fill her ass before buying anything you moron

He's on Sup Forums's Sup Forums, what 'good info'?

Hp elitebooks
Dell latitude
Lenovo thinkpad

Pick one of these

Just get her 13" MBP without the touchbar, should have anything she'd need for college and more.
If weight is a huge issue, maybe the 12" one.
If you don't give a shit about her, just grab the first cheap shit you see.

this

Dell XPS 13 is your best bet, you really don't much if any research on this, it's actually pretty, it has got good specs, and it' priced the same as a lowend macbook with highend features

>coil-whine is a feature
>stupid webcam placement is a feature

meh, yeah the webcam placement is a downfall, but other than that there are no real others.
what coilwhine anyway?

a $150 chromebook with gentoo installed.
she is set then

>sister
macbook

Google for it, I have no idea whether they fixed it with bios updates already but it was almost always an issue for XPS since 2015.

For example: en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19992655?pi22229=17
>Per the Dell reps on this thread, there are no complete fix to the coil whine that completely eliminates the noise; only hardware revision that reduces the coil whine to a Dell engineering deemed "acceptable level" of noise.
That's some pure kek shit.

Im a really big fan of the xps series of dells. They might have the best displays of anything on the market, the specs are good enough to do basically whatever, and for what they offer there's nothing really better bang for your buck. The recent dell inspiron series is close, but the screens are kind of mediocre, and they're loud/heavy (I have one).

If she doesn't like that isn't a bad choice either. Although I'd probably get the macbook air if I were to get a mac, they're $200-500 cheaper than the pro, which I dont think really justifies the .1ghz extra clock speed, i5-i7 processor or 1600p vs 900p displays. There's also a little extra "turbo boost" clock, which Im gonna guess is either apples version of overclocking or they downclock all their processors and that just makes them work at full potential.

Either way I have a feeling for what your sister will be doing on it, she wont notice any of those things. 13" is just too small to notice the resolution difference I think, otherwise that would be valid. If I were getting a laptop over 15", I'd value the resolution more. The clock speed and difference between i5s and i7s is so negligible its basically irrelevant.

If for whatever reason she wants to play somewhat recent games, the dell inspirons are probably the way to go

not to >works on my machine,
but
I've never had this on my machine
And it's a refurbished pos

My sis has 6 laptops stacked on eachother right now...none of them work..
She refuses to let me check bc she thinks i could find her chatlogs or private pictures
Bought all 6 brand new within...maybe 6 years
So 1 broke for each year
I picked a used medion 3 years ago
Passed it to my dad so he can do whatever old men do lol
Last time i checked his notebook it looked fucking clean as fuck as if it was his car

Why are females such retarded when it comes to this ?
>2017 still placing notebook on bed and choking it

>1600p vs 900p
Also IPS, and generally a huge difference noticeable every second you use the laptop. Besides, yes, the sharpness is very noticeable. If anything, Air is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers and only justifiable if one buys it used/refurbished for 600-700 bucks.

The performance is pretty much identical though.

Well, that's the things, it's kinda hit or miss. Taking the risk for refurbished and paying less for something that might be less than perfect sounds reasonable but paying 1k+ for that seems like a shitty deal.

If the cooling weren't retarded, it shouldn't do shit, so the mistake was buying some cheap ass overheating laptop. The only time my sis managed to kill one was spilling coke over it.

>She refuses to let me check bc she thinks i could find her chatlogs or private pictures
Why can't you fix it with her around and/or removing the drive?

Macbook Pro

It can be indeed hit or miss, but there are two factors to this fact
1. If you receive a bad laptop, and it's not a refurb or not from dell themselves, you can haggle with dell's fairly reluctant customer service dept until they will send you a new one, and they will

2. the problems with the xps line were generally worse further back in the day, like when I got mine, and while later software and bios updates have healed some of their problems, most of the issues have simply been ironed out in later versions and the line keeps getting better, so you have a higher and higher likelihood of getting a good one now than ever before

My gf has had a similar problem to this,
buying somewhat shitty midrange laptops under the thought that 'I don't really care about computers, I don't really need to shell out lots of money for what I do', she has broken at least three now since the start of college (she is a junior now) all amounting to the rough price I paid for my one xps 13 through all that time

She doesn't gets it...
>not knowing what hdd is
>basicly not knowing shit
I tried that once but she's like
"ok i got 20min then im off can you do it ? "
>Screw this, im buying a new one
>Buy the hp elitebooks or let me come with you
>Stops at some acer crap
>I want this
>No get this dell or hp
>they are ugly...(thinks that non thin white notebooks are old )
>gets a white sony with worse spec than a 10inch netbook of my niece
>Look sister...this...
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>do i tell you what to pick ? So accept my choice
>Ok but listen this notebook has 2gb ram only
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE user DON'T IM NOT SUCH A FREAK FOR DETAILS
>6 months later
>knock*knock*
>user what's wrong with my laptop ?
>Bring it here i will check
>no it's plugged and on my bed..don't want to unplug and replug
>use the battery
>it doesn't charge
>didn't i tell you that .....
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>will you help or not ?
>no
>*slams door
>5 days later....living room
>Acer box laying around

Wie alt ist sie??

19 now

Sweet damn I imagined like 14

Fair points.

Oh jeez, that must really hurt. Mine is similarly tech ignorant (but hey, at least she kinda knows what a hdd is) and annoying but while she argues a lot, she does tend to concede in the end and follows my advice more often than not, while still arguing against it.

Sometimes you gotta try to explain advantages in less technical terms, "2gb ram" isn't saying much while something like "even browsing will be a pain with that piece of shit" can get the point across, although from the sound of it, even that seems hopeless for now.

>poor
x230

>not so poor
t450s

>pretentious faggot
mac

gentoo on a thinkpad

Also in the market of a new laptop. I have an x230 that I got in 2012. The laptop keeps shutting off at random times and I'm getting sick of it. I'm thinking of a macbook air. I just need it for PDF files and browse the web.

Used Macbook.

> sister
>College
She will graduate with flying colors in whorism.