Why aren't you using the best functional programming language in existence?

>powerful, flexible and expressive type system
>which is still rigid enough to prevent you from doing stupid shit
>clean, uncluttered syntax, very easy to read
>pattern matching actually working as intended
>compilers are fairly optimized and produce quite efficient native code, albeit not as fast as C or fortran
>doesn't prevent you from using imperative constructs when needed, unlike
>some language which uses esoteric scary shit to simulate state named after leibniz's mental wanking in his free time
>standard library provides useful functionality and it's growing

Because Haskell exists

because multicore. And really retarded multithreading
Just stop being a brainlet and switch to haskell already

Unrelated to thread but what are the main differences between Haskel and Common Lisp?

My camel will kick your camels ass.

They are nothing alike why would you even ask this?

ones a purely functional, lazy programming language, the other is a speech impediment

>

You have probably never worked on a real project if you think Haskell is actually capable of producing actual, useful software.

OCaml really is the best.

is ocamel capable of producing useful software because ive never even heard of this shit

>best language in existence
You mean julia, yes?
The coding efficiency of python with the run performance of C. What more could you want?

>see this
>look up code online
>mfw

> not as fast as C or fortran
That's kinda a bummer compared to So what's the best tool for crunching some numbers (in a high level strongly typed language) without having to buy more metal?

>So what's the best tool for crunching some numbers (in a high level strongly typed language) without having to buy more metal?
assuming that number is no pi to the infiniteith decimal place, then probably julia.

Please elaborate what you mean by "chrunching numbers"?

>ones a purely functional
its not, what are lists? do lists get changed while a Haskell program runs?

>lazy programming language
Ocaml has lazy evaluation, the only difference is that Ocaml does not force lazy evaluation. It should be noted the designers of Haskell realized forced laziness was a mistake and regret making Haskell a forced lazy language

Oh just had in mind trying it with some data mining and machine learning stuff. Would like to use a higher level language to be able to quickly pivot and make changes, but something that's not so slow that it takes ages on a regular i7 hopefully it could run in a reasonable amount of time.

>data mining and machine learning stuff
i would advise downloading an ml algorithm rather than starting from scratch.

Also i have no experience in this, maybe ask google?

Julia is nice but it has the same problem that numpy has: if it's not leveraging BLAS it's singlethreaded and matlab blows it out of the water in terms of speed for large array operations. When Julia can scale elementary operations beyond a single core it will be amazing.

Any language is capable of producing useful software. It's the mind of the programmer that makes good software, not the limitations of the language. DeepDream'a AI was programmed in LISP for Christ's sake.

You've probably worked on thousands of Pajeet-tier projects in C#.

you're deprecated

Gee it's like I never thought of this on my own before I decided to try to stimulate the noggin for more ideas from a mongolian scuba diving board.

Perl6 will never overtake perl5.

Yes it will.

I really wish it would because Perl6 is literally the best language out there right now

Its beautiful rite? Perl5 is like the final boss of legacy & cruft though.

a comparison between Perl 5 and Perl 6 taken from the Perl 6 wikipedia page
tl:dr nothing has changed
# Perl 5 code
my @array = ('a', 'b', 'c');
my $element = $array[1]; # $element equals 'b',
my @extract = @array[1, 2]; # @extract equals ('b', 'c')
my $element = @array[1]; # 'b' comes with a warning (5.10 option)

# Perl 6 code
my @array = 'a', 'b', 'c';
my $element = @array[1]; # $element equals 'b'
my @extract = @array[1]; # @extract equals ('b')
my @extract = @array[1, 2]; # @extract equals ('b', 'c')

it's a completely new language. there's obviously a hell of a lot more to a language like perl6 than array access syntax lol

>made by jerome
no thanks you can keep your niggerlanguage to yourself

Because Javascript exists

what makes perl6 so special and how would it ever take off? perl is essentially dead, getting a perl job is like getting a cobol job - maintaining old systems.