Custom Roms

What custom roms does Sup Forums run?
Is there even anything besides Lineage OS these days? Running Lineage 14.1 myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ale5000-git/tingle
github.com/moosd/Needle
github.com/Lanchon/haystack
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are only two roms still worth using. AOSP and Lineage. Everything else is a botnet.

is it available for the new moto g5s?

I'm seeing discussion about Lineage OS draining the battery quicker. Anyone care to chime in?

It depends on the phone. Since Lineage has a lot more features than AOSP, it's certainly possible something is causing wakelocks.

I'm using 14.1 on an old ass 1st gen Moto G and if anything my battery life is better than stock 5.1. Generally lasts 2 days with normal usage, or about 5 hours of screen time. Pretty standard and even decent for a 3 or 4 year old phone.
Definitely not a problem in this ROM.

Yes, there are various lineage based ROMs, as well as a few aosp based. None of them are as popular or as well known as lineage obviously.
Resurrection Remix is probably the only other rom worth trying out if it's available for your device, since it has a bunch of features lineage doesn't. It does, however, run much heavier than lineage which means it slows down quicker.

Quicker than what? Like I said most ROMs are lineage based, and so will have identical, if not worse battery performance. I myself haven't noticed any significant difference in battery life from any custom ROMs compared to stock.

I've been running LinageOS - it brought some new life into my phone (Nexus 5). I dont remember what stock android was like, I also havent installed many google applications (I assume having 1 is enough for them to sink their claws into you though)

>Quicker than what?
Stock/factory ROM.

I am getting ready to flash a Rom for
the first time. Gonna flash my old Galaxy S3 to Lineage 14.1 and try to make a good backup phone out of it, maybe use it as my DD if I like it a lot, curently using an iBotnet 6plus and don’t like iOS that much.

What should I expect from Lineage?

Yeah it does. But I mean not too fast. Just faster than before

lineage is flippin radical dudes!

running 14.1 on G4 Intl

don't think it will turn your gs3 into a flagship, but you should definitely see improved performance and much less bloat.
Perhaps some battery improvements.

>flash lineage os
>don't flash gapps
>remove bloat
>install only open source apps

Omni ROM is the one you should run.

The problem with lineage is they don't support signature spoofing, which from a theoretical perspective is more secure.

But practically, it means you can't run microg, an awesome open source, reversed engineered implementation of google frameworks but to do so it needs signature spoofing.

The downsides to not flashing gapps are more than just >no apps

GSF facilitates a lot of cross app communication/ functions, location services. Microg provides this without the botnet and battery drain.

Omnirom adds a switch to the developer settings to toggle signature spoofing, which is a far better compromise.

I'm still upset that the s3 is getting support while the s4 isn't.

>tfw official lineage os build recently came out for redmi note 4
>afraid to try installing it because I don't want to brick my main and only phone
computers are easier than these phones

aospa without gapps

Its really not possible to brick you device these days. Specially if its a Qualcomm device.

The exception might be Samsung devices that use completely nonstandard partition layout.

If found that gapps is pretty much not needed using microG. That plus yalp store and I'm set with lineage for life

so which one is it niggas?

lineage nightly i upgrade very week or two

Couldn’t I just flash the pico or micro version of Gapps and disable them via Titanium backup or something?

That way I would get rid of the botnet but would still have them on my phone if I ever needed to plug back into the botnet for some reason? Wouldn’t that work?

my battery was fucked on the stock os
it's probably degraded to shit
t. oneplus one user

You can enable signature spoofing via xposed for ROMs that don't natively support it. But only or

How much more problematic might OmniROM be than a ROM with a much more active community such as Lineage OS?

I'm currently running my own build of CopperheadOS for my nexus 6p.

You could, but if you disable the botnet then you lose its features, including the play store. Might as well just not flash gapps

it really depends on the maintainer.
If he's knowledgeable and has the time to work on any bugs/issues with the ROM, then it'll be fine even if it's an unofficial port.

Yeah but I wouldn’t need The Botnet Store since I would use Yalp and Fdroid. But if I ever needed gapps for some reason I couldn’t add it later on, I would have to reflash the entire rom right? So the best thing would be to install the pico version and just disable all the botnet gapps imo.

The only additional problems you may occur will be from the device maintainer. Omni is a combined effort of the big names in the XDA scene, when cyanogenmod went private. They know their shit.

has anyone gotten google maps to work with microg?
For some reason if I do not flash gapps or use micro g it works, but as soon as I setup micro g maps stops working.

They can have nougat and oreo. Personally I have an e2 and currently running nougat, yet I know there is an oreo release for this phone.

If you're already using titanium backup, just backup the apps from the gapps package that you want and restore them without flashing gapps gapps

You'll probably find that none of them work because they all reply on the botnet to function.

Hence why microg exists, to enable standard functionality without the botnet.

Make sure that you've setup the gsm location thing correctly. The self-checklist should tell you.

But yes, its worked fine for me In the past

I was trying to install lineageOS to breathe some life into my old droid 4. Everything was going fine, got it rooted, got safestrap running, got backup of stock made, flashed the ROM, installed GApps, and when it finally loaded into the setup wizard, I made it all the way to the account sync page and the wizard crashed, and the troubleshooting guides and threads didn't work and no solution had been found for similarly troubled people. Reflashing and installing different gapps packages didn't do shit. It was FUBAR. Just running stock now.

And forget about running it on my current phone, the only thing that works is the phone and wifi lol, everything else is still unfunctioning.

If it works out for you, by all means, run custom ROMs, but don't waste your time trying to fix it when shit breaks, just go back to stock.

Yeah for such a legacy device, support is there more for novelty than anything else. The codebase has shifted so far away from anything resembling optimal for that device that it would run like shit, compared to stock firmware.

Was it official? Which device?

not that user but there is an official build for the droid 4 (which he mentions in the post) on the lineage site.

>droid 4
Fuck. Don't knock me plz.

FWIW the unofficial Lineage OS running on Galaxy S3 seems bretty good.

I mean S2 actually. Man what is wrong with me today. I think EMF from an induction cooktop damaged my brain.

I'd imagine anything past lollipop will perform worse than the stock firmware. From a real-world perspective. The s3 might be a slight exception just due to the massive developer support its had.

My battery will last for four days and I'm running Lineage. Granted, I don't use normiebook and all of the other battery draining bullshit the masses use. It's nice to actually see the benefits of advancing hardware tech rather than have it get bogged down by bloated software.

quick question: how does lineage handle security and updates?

the way i understand it, the android security patch updates itself right?

but what about when there is an OS update pushed out by google to patch a system flaw that is not covered by the android security patch? does lineage have an OTA update feature? or is it something id have to flash an update for? ideally it wouldnt be a wipe+flash situation every couple months or so as a new update gets pushed.

id like to swap over, just not sure how that all shakes out.

Ram management in MIUI is terrible.
My music gets closed
My tox process gets closed
Will lineage os fix that?

The only reason I use Gapps is because of Google maps.
Osmand looks terrible on my phone.
It was less detailed too, but I edited a bit too make my locality better than Google maps. It still looks terrible

Have you tried HERE?

Aosp extended was but it was unstable for the honor 5x

>every couple months
try ever day

depends on the maintainer.

just trying to figure out if i can do incremental updates, or would i have to dirty flash, or wipe+flash.

if it is a constant wipe+flash situation then i may hold off.

>Lineage OS
Dat Battery Drain

I have Cyanogenmod on my Nexus, will jump to Lineage tonight.

paranoid android

it's okay I guess

Cant find it on fdroid, can you link me to it?

This

I'm dumb, found it, thanks

As much as I wish I could do this, it simply isn't feasible if you need to have constant communication with normalfags.

Is Ressurection Remix any good? It seems to be the only ROM for Redmi 4 Pro/Prime that has actual development.

yeah it's probably one of the only two ROMs worth trying out (the other being lineage)

Just use Yalp store

Sitting here on my galaxy s8 plus waiting for a dev to finish my lineage OS port..... Hurts man.

Great hardware, shit samjizz rom

replicant isn't botnet and is approved by the FSF

id love to hear reports from people using replicant.

I was considering buying a galaxy 2 or 3 and trying it cuz its so cheap.

I tried lineage and really really liked it. And then I tried AEX and liked it more. Stock android with more customization than lineage, and it runs like butter on my device. not that lineage ran bad, it was actually just fine. AEX is just better enough to warrant change.

>want to go gapps free
>look into micro g
>requires signature spoofing
>lineage os team has confirmed they have no plans of allowing this
What the fuck guys? Why are you making this so difficult for all of us?
I found some program called tingle which is supposed to enable spoofing on ROMs, but I won't have the time to try it for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone else have any experience with tingle or setting up micro g on lineage?

Been running Dirty Unicorns for ages, loving every minute of it

the best rom is the one you cook obviously
but given how lazy ass people are i would suggest either lineage or RR with magisk

>look up youtube video on any of the custom roms mentioned here
>indian voice starts talking

Jesus christ no one but india uses these stupid things.

If you can't take the pajeet then get out of the currychen.

This is only for the nougat roms, right?
I used xposed before for signature spoofing, there was a module specifically made for microg

are custom roms just for people who are infowarriors and scared of google play services? do any offer anything unique?

they all look like normal android

you can run microg on lineage, pretty easily actually.
connect your phone to your computer with a usb cable, fire up adb and run this:
github.com/ale5000-git/tingle
and then reboot. takes only a couple of minutes, but unfortunately youll have to do it again every time you flash an update.
it works well enough for me though. definitely worth trying out.

does lineage allow Android pay/specifically chase pay? I've been meaning to make the jump off of stock on my Nexus 6 but ditching chase pay is holding me back

The biggest difference from stock is the debloating of shit you'll never use
Also updates even on a fuck-old device (depends on the popularity of your device though)
you'll probably have to use magisk

You guys don't have to mess with XPozzed or any of that shit, this guy got it right there are also a couple of other tools for this purpose, in case Tingle isn't working for you
github.com/moosd/Needle
github.com/Lanchon/haystack

He's right - you know.

the point of useing a custom rom is liberating yourself from certain things. why zum fuck goes everybody on installing a compatibility layer? bogs me rly.

it's all custom rom or nothing in my book.

carry on - nonetheless

I only use it to extend phone lifespan.

Was using a Moto G 1st gen (2013) up until just this last month. Custom rom helped with how long the battery lasts and got me the latest version of Android with security patches. Removed bloatware. I would never bother on a new phone.

Using Lineage 14.1 with a custom kernel on onmy Moto X Pure.
Miles better performance and battery life than the stock ROM.
I am surprised to see that the scene has basically become Lineage and based-on-Lineage only.

Will i be able to play muh gaymes with Lineage installed? I play potion maker, fate and other similar shit.

No bloat/adware/botnet.
Some useful tools included, for example PrivacyGuard, which I really miss on stock Android. PG for example lets you block the internet access for an app.
And obviously you get updates, which the manufacturer doesn't give you after a year or two.

If you install GApps it's pretty much regular Android, so yes.

I like Lineage but their bug tracker is fucking weird as fuck.

Is there a company that sells phones with LineageOS or something similar?
You know, something normie-friendly. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who are tired of Botnet and crapware on their phones and would even pay for something nice and clean that just werks.
And when I say a lot I mean 1-5% of all current Android users, which means millions.

What do i need in order to install Lineage? My phone is compatible.

>PrivacyGuard
Does this have a spreadsheet GUI yet?

No, it also leaves some features to be desired as do the notification settings.

How do people use ad blocking stuff on android web browsers? I have a rooted phone but I never looked into it because it never really bothered me. Recently however I've begun running into websites that automatically start playing videos (with sound!) once the page is opened. Fuck everything about that.

Mine got better but it's probably because privacy guard and other features let me cripple app features I don't use.

>How do people use ad blocking stuff on android web browsers?
1. install Firefox
2. install uBlock Origin

I run my own customized version of LineageOS, life is comfy in the botnet free land.

nothing. you just need to learn how to use adb and fastboot. Or follow wiki instructions

Running Lineage 14.1 on my Xiaomi Mi4.

Bluetooth does not work. Camera became a potato and the battery readout will drop by 20% if you dare to reboot it.

Likely this will never see a device specific update. Same issues since forever.

I have a nexus 7 2012 and I run slimrom which hasnt been updated in 3 years or so because no other rom and certainly not vanilla android runs well on it anymore.

Does encryption on Lineage even work yet?

>No, it also leaves some features to be desired as do the notification settings.
Fuckin POS.

I'll just use my retardphone and laptop.

Don't get me wrong, it's still really good. It just isn't quite perfect yet (also their bugtracker is weird af).

Lineage 14

The first version i installed was a horrible buggy mess with constant crashes

The updated version works very well tho

Congrats, now you have an useless piece of plastic

lineageos works fuckin great on my nexus 7 2012

I am running Resurrection Remix on mu 2014 m8. Itś running Android 7.1.2 with August security patch