/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

REQUESTING TO CONVERT MY WAIFU'S LAPTOP INTO A THINKPAD Edition

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/JP-keyboard-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410-T520-T410I-T400S-X220-X220I-T420-45N2102-/391882069421?hash=item5b3dfdd5ad:g:6n0AAOSwU8hY6ys4
ebay.com/itm/New-3x-Red-Lenovo-Thinkpad-TrackPoint-Cap-IBM-Soft-Dome-T410-T420-T430-T510-T520-/401084626392
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for how much should I expect to spend on an IPS panel for my x220?

Also x220 a best

>anime_girl_with_thinkpad.jpg collecting
not a bad idea desu

>tfw ThinkPilled

What is the oldest T series with an IPS screen? T440?

>tfw 4800MQ arrived to my city
>tfw can't wait for comfy quad core t440p

where can I buy a new weeb keyboard for my T420? Besides Aliexpress
>mfw I don't speak a lick of japanese

ebay or aliexpress

Does this one look legit? The japanese one is actually cheaper than an US one on Ebay lmao

ebay.com/itm/JP-keyboard-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T410-T520-T410I-T400S-X220-X220I-T420-45N2102-/391882069421?hash=item5b3dfdd5ad:g:6n0AAOSwU8hY6ys4

15" T42p

>The japanese one is actually cheaper than an US one on Ebay lmao
Actually i was looking for a new keyboard for my T440p and found the same situation, the Japanese one was cheaper than the one i wanted and both have the big enter key so i went with the weeb one. It was priced around $25 too.

Now i regret getting the weeb keyboard because the tiny spacebar and backspace fuck up your muscle memory if you're used to touch typing at ~100WPM.

Hows the T520? I might pick one up as my first thinkpad. What's some good features to look out for?

I need help, I'm really sad.

This morning I tried to turn on my T420 but it didn't even power up. It just turned on the power button led but then nothing. I read somewhere that unplugging the CMOS battery and plugging the AC cable should make it start automatically, but tried this and there was this big noise and smell coming out so I immediately unplugged the cord. Now the power led doesn't even work.

Did I just fried something? ;_;

>Hows the T520?
Solid, big 15.6" screen, plenty of upgrades, can't go wrong with that one.

>What's some good features to look out for?
Anything, even if you get one with shit specs everything is upgradeable including the display and processor.

no get a T420 or T430 instead. T520 is heavy as fuck

I know kansei dorifto and thats about it
no idea of the hiragana or katakana for it though

t. blind manlet

You're going to need to buy a new t420 user

Have any of you ever bought a Thinkpad Trackpoint replacment cap? I've had my T420 for 1 year and it's nub is worn out. Are the cheap ones on ebay worth it. I need the optimal Thinkpad Trackpoint experience.

yeah, buy a set and try them out. I like the soft rim.

On a tangent which cap styles do you guys prefer?
I'm sure you've already discussed this before, but i'm relatively new to /tpg/ so forgive my autism.

Yes, they're cheap and come in sets of ten.

Soft Rim master race.

I bought these:ebay.com/itm/New-3x-Red-Lenovo-Thinkpad-TrackPoint-Cap-IBM-Soft-Dome-T410-T420-T430-T510-T520-/401084626392

Very nice.

Soft dome, soft rims are for people who have to either move their finger a shit ton to scroll or are too greasy to stay on.

It's so much easier for scrolling dude. I thought it was a meme but I like the concave feeling.

Soft rim is the clear winner desu.

Soft rim, of course. Why is this even up for debate?

Classic dome

Trackpad masterrace reporting in.

what thinkpad?
It looks so much better without the unnecessary buttons on the bottom.
x220 right?

X230, you can tell by the chiclet keys.

I believe it an x230

Has anyone ever put a tx30 keyboard on a tx20 model?

>tfw did the touchpad mod to make the trackpoint usable and disabled the touchpad

done

Fuck that, not having buttons fucking sucks

The way the X220/X230 touchpad curves down, the right click area isn't on the bottom of the touchpad but slightly above it, leaving a gap at the bottom where it can only left click

Horrible design

thoughts on the anniversary edition?

dgpu ULV dual core 16:9 shit

>using trackpad
just use the buttons above dude

>not using tap for mouse click
>not using two finger tap for secondary mouse click

It's not as convenient to do that if you're a trackpad user.

For example you cant really just click and drag that wya.

That being said, I don't use the trackpad. I just think the x220/x230 on is shitty.

>implying the x220/x230 trackpad is reliable enough to do that

Mine does that fine with fedora

if you wanted a macbook why didn't you buy one?
the touch gestures are infinitely better. If I didn't like the trackpoint so much I would actually buy a macbook.

Isn't just enough with the motherboard? I removed the drives and RAM before doing that

>a good feature is evil because macOS uses it

It's not evil, the thinkpad trackpads are just shit for that kind of thing because they're not designed for those gestures

The T440 and newer trackpads are much better for that kind of thing

I'm not arguing for the plethora of gestures. Just tap for click, double tap secondary mouse click.
I like it and you can't stop me.

Looks like a custom sticker/filmon the touchpad and buttons

>no thinkpad logo

No that's the stock touchpad (which yes is just a textured sticker)

> that user selling libreboot t400 on eBay with fight the power rhetoric

no, this has never happened ever.
I dont recommend to try. I would have been done if it were possible.

gab ain't worth the effort

she is user

>implying gab isn't the Sup Forums character
she literally tells people to fuck off and asks for gibs while living the NEET life.

yeah it happened in the last thread

>liking Sup Forums
why are you even here

YAMERO

we're here forever user

Do you guys keep the case stickers on your memepad?

>import my memepads from the US
>replace the keyboards with my native layout because ANSI a shit
>have a small pile of US keyboards
the fuck do i do with all these keyboards

you got an extra keyboard for the Tx20 series? If so I'll buy one off ya senpai since I'd rather use that than the T530 stock keyboard.

What is that large rectangle below the arrow keys? A larger trackpad?

Yes i do have one but it's in bad shape, some keycaps and the trackpoint cap is missing and the left trackpoint button doesn't work. Even got a Japanese t440p keyboard in there.

There are brand new US T520 keyboards on eBay for $30 though, probably cheaper than what sending something overseas would cost me.

>designed for right-handed people

literally nowhere. Also as an fyi the jap keyboard actually sucks for daily use. The backspace is the thing that trips me up the most, i end up hitting the key that has the yen on it. Also the legend is wrong for everything else unless you change your hardware layout in windows to jp keyboard. So its pretty pointless, and yes i am wap and i even dont use the jp keyboard i got. Also aliexpress i got mine in 3 days by paying 20+USD extra for fast shipping.

drawing pad, its an actual wacom tablet with pen.

>jap keyboard actually sucks for daily use
b-but isn't that what all the cute anime girls in here use??

yes but you're a fat weeaboo, not a cute anime girl

no bulli

here is my jp keyboard.

that's hidoi desu

happened after i spilled smallest amount of drpepper on it, the keyes died and i got pissed and ripped it off thinkpad. Thinkpad also soon after got smashed. Was x220. Have way to many thinkpads so i can afford to lose like 10.

here that x220 is , low bezel edition

Ripperoni thanks anyway user

cool so how do you make it not look like aids

micro wacom interface, comes with a pen

thats thejoke. It was thrown and beaten, the screen frame came off and i taped it for a few days before i decided to trash it.

a low bezel thinkpad would be great desu

What do i need to put a ivy bridge CPU in a T420?

new thinkpad

>T420 / Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash

Why are people still advocating this? Nobody in this thread has actually tried this.

Anybody smart enough to flash Coreboot will immediately run to this thread and tell people what a horrible idea running Coreboot on a T420 actually is (I've done it). This is how I know nobody here actually does anything with their Thinkpads other than shitpost and circlejerk on Sup Forums. Glad I no longer frequent this retard thread.

Around 50$ and it's totally worth it

how do older models like the x200/x220 do with battery life? whats the best older model with decent battery life? id be tempted to get something like an x260 just for the battery life, so its important to me

As someone flashing Coreboot on a T430 soon, what's so bad about it?

x220 with 9-cell gets 10-12h if you're not playing games

8 hours average with 9 cell on an x220. I dont recommend running windows 10 (even LTSB) on it though, I lost about 1.5 hours of battery

thats way better than i would have thought. what OS would you reccomend that doesnt destroy battery life? w7 work? im interested in linux, but i need to play around with it, so to start off ill be using something im more familiar with. hows x200 battery?

There is absolutely no power management built into coreboot or supported on the T420/T430. I've flashed it on both. Your battery will be drained in 2 hours max. Even underclocking to the minimum 0.8GH will still cause the full 35W/45W power draw from your CPU.

Coreboot power management on those two models is a fucking disaster. Avoid it.

Holy shit, that's goot to know. Thanks user.

How did you do that?

which models support ultrabay batteries? i know the T420s can, are there any others? im especially hoping theres an x series that can

Anytime I try to boot from a USB or CD my T61 tells me to
>Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart

I literally can't use anything other than Windows 7 at this point.

What is wrong?

Linux with TLP will be good, though I haven’t actually tested this on an x220. My T420 got around 6 hours on a 9 cell with Linux+TLP but on Windows I get 6.5. More or less the same really. Windows 7 would be your best bet because all of the software (especially power management) for that model is written around Windows 7 and there’s no real benefit from using 8.1/10 on a laptop of that age unless you give a fuck about apps for some reason.

Whats the best thinkpad for gaming?

x series has no ultrabay. T420 normal model I believe supports it. However with the x series I believe you can buy the slice battery that attaches to the bottom that will give you insane battery life.

None of them. They are professional series laptops meant for work. Get a yoga if you want to fall for the gayming laptop meme.

Anything wth a good CPU and works well with eGPU
Or a P series if you enjoy wasting money

whats the word on x220 libreboot?