Mystery Device Thread

So around NYC USA a secret 150 million dollar project has erected these mystery towers around bridges and streets.

The local government authority is mum about what the towers do. More towers are slated to appear around NYC. Additionally, local government authorities have said that the main expense is "running fiber optic cable to the devices"

So what are these devices /g? The images I have are from a local news video. If any anons in the area they could get out of their basement and snap a selfie of the devices. Very curious. Is it a directional 3g attenas? infrared cams? "free wifi"? or something else?

Sup Forums True Detective Case here.
>My apologies to the latest iphone shill thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2012/08/trapwire-strafor-biz/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_in_unlicensed_spectrum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I refuse to believe that there aren't hundreds of high resolution images and video of these towers

image is a little blurry because its a screen cap from a vid.
(anyone know how to capture an image from a video file given a certain time slot via GNU/Linux command line?)

I've got some more screen shots. Here is a closer image of the tower.

sensor array of some kind, not sure what for tho.

They just got discovered by normies. In NYC there are always projects, but the reason for the projects are self evident at some point, and FOIL requests are seldom delayed/ sidelined.

Here is another screen cap. The little circles appear to articulate up and down but not left and right, indicating a possible offset(?). Anyone recognize the little "diodes" in the array?

>Apologies to the bumped off Android Device Shill Thread.

Seems interesting. I'm sure some EE or physics user will chip in

IR illumination for a night vision system?

Mr. Hoseaye Lugo says the towers light up "pretty nice", but does not know what the devices are when he sees the devices at night.

does this look like infrared?

>inb4 not a intel btfo thread.

obvious sensor array.

if it needs fiber then its transmitting terabytes of data for whatever reason.

public wifi

This or just Internet over light

Here is a close up of articulation. The bottom front facing circle is clearly pointed towards something. The louvers don't seem to move, though. So it deff wants to concentrate what ever comes from the Diodes(?).

Is it the fabled diarrhea device developed by the military to make soldiers soil themselves?

>diarrhea device developed by the military to make soldiers soil themselves?
They already have that at the mess hall

>anyone know how to capture an image from a video file given a certain time slot via GNU/Linux command line?
$ ffmpeg -ss [timestamp] -i input_video.extension -frames 1 -y out_file.extension

where [timestamp] has the format hh:mm:ss.000, the zeroes being thousandths of the second.

That appears to be an array of white LEDs. They are probably white because they are yellow. You get white light with a blue LED that excites a yellow phosphor.

could be part of a camera flash type system for reading liscense plates.

There's the remote possibility they could be doing li-fi.

The way it's articulated screams we don't care too much about where it's pointed so long as it's cheap. Sensors you care about where they are pointing illumination, not so much.

looks like gunshot detectors
those are probably the mics

There are diodes inside the box. Gunshot detectors already exist and can be made much smaller.

are you this retarded
its a bunch of lights, calm the fuck down

hello nsa

Not that for sure, since I've actual permit obtaining making experience of data over laser between two gov' buildings. . The laser over air data connection device looks like a security camera, and can fuck your eyes. These mystery devices are pointed everywhere and are poppeing up in a bunch of MTA locations (acorind to the news source.)

pic is a laser point to point data conneciton.

So they want to look into the vehicle? If its just a flash, why the fat data pipe?

The deceives also point at streets where pedestrians walk as shown in the vid.

Those in charge indicate it's Home Land Security type thing. But what could the devices be. Finding the secret is the most exited aspect to this.

Some True Detective.jpg.

fuken saved.

IR license plate capture system for realtime trapwire tracking.

The louvers remind me of a camera flash barn door or snoot.

Wow, so much more efficient than using a fucking mouse

Isn't there a Windows 10 is great thread thats calling for your input?

>propped up everywhere
>no clear images from 20 different angles
>mystery
op go back to /x/

It's trapwire. Already confirmed. Those are IR leds. The leds is likely for a real time 3d facial identification system.

Trapwire?

sauce?

The absolute state of living in a concrete jungle

Protip: It's 5G network installation.

They're for monitoring and keeping the neegroz in check, they put out the scent of fried chicken when trigged in case of riots.

>come to post in the thread about how those are definitely IR illuminators
>some guy beat me too it

there's no evidence it's for trapwire, could just be more light for night-time cctv

Damage it and see who fixes it.

wired.com/2012/08/trapwire-strafor-biz/

just look it up guys

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_in_unlicensed_spectrum
/thread

definitely something to do with the jews and someone plotting against you

It's definitely the new trapwire system. The first version is already deployed to traffic cam in the US.

The Feds seem to be rolling out the identification tracking part to trapwire for full nation wide deployment to begin.

You people have no idea how tracked you are when you think no one is watching you go to Burger King.

Ok lets put on the detective larping hat and try to understand with the little amount of pictures we got.

These "towers" seem to be just a flood light to light up the immediate surrounding area. The areas seem to be high vehicular traffic spots. However it is not optimal for that because 2 of the 3 sides are pointing at the wrong direction.

The design is rather over designed on the selection of materials and the construction seems to be for decoration and durability rather than any technical purpose. The all metal mesh construction which would be bad for any cell signal type activity. The thing has no visible camera and not optimal for camera type of work. The overall design of the tower including the little crest in front of it indicates is extremely superfluous and masturbatory.

It cannot be communications equipment housing either because the open mesh is not really protective enough for that, plus there seems to be no access panel.

Conclusion: the entire tower is really not optimally designed for any type of purpose other than being a big wanking monument to house a few poorly implemented LED flood lamps. The whole big metal overbuilt quality with a superfluous crest in front screams it is a PSYOP prop, probably some sort of crime/terrorism deterrent.

The lamps probably don't even light up. (They will call it IR when asked.)

To add: the big metal elements for the lamps are extremely superfluous and crudely designed when they can't even hide or harden the cable to the lamps with some anti-tempering sleeve. Anyone intent to disable the lamps can easily climb up and just snip the wires. (The big base might just be a big anti-climbing protection.)

The whole thing smells like a big wank. NYC probably got scammed by some private security firm.

Freedom of information their asses

>LTE_in_unlicensed_spectrum

bruh, 5ghz radio antennas don't look anything like this.

That's what I'm thinking. Make it look scary and impressive and sell the moon.

It's just the samaritan.

Right. Scary and impressive enough to the non-technical person (look at the big ass crest with its own little lamp lol), but anyone who know a little about engineering can tell you it is a piece of engineering design bullshit.

Someone go and get better photos

?

>don't worry, user. this is just to keep the negro in check
sweetie

>Someone go
Where, /out/? Are you fucking crazy?

Just keeping the whiteys in check.

Where exactly are these things? Can someone give an address or intersection? I'm in NYC

hi guys,

these are 5g waveforming antennas, hence the array and fiber optics.

These look definitely like an array of white LED (or at least made to look exactly like it). Could be just a simple lamp of some kind (and the optics fiber is for something else in the tower).

I'm nearly certain that these things are just LED floodlights, probably for use with an ALPR system (automated license plate reader). The LEDs are either infrared or ultraviolet and are pointed down to illuminate license plates of cars passing into a tunnel, onto a bridge, around a building, etc. The lights look almost identical to lamps you've probably seen in EZ PASS lanes on highways, with slats in front of the light. The actual ALPR readers look like regular cameras and are probably mounted nearby this lamp.