Programs worth learning

Which programs with a steep learning curve are really worth learning?
For me it's GIMP which is the closest thing you got to Photoshop on Ganoo plus Loonix and Emacs which fells like a waste of time before you learn how many great packages it has.

Blender
GIMP is shit when you can just use PS

vim

intellij

>Emacs which fells like a waste of time before you learn how many great packages it has
Have you tried Sublime Text?

GIMP is utterly and inexcusably shit and completely justifies normies making fun of freetards with their "it's almost as good as" rhetoric. Blender is a rare example of excellent FOSS.

buuuuut PS is botnet! Also, I'm pretty sure you haven't purchased Adobe subscription.
Yep, I used it before Emacs. I still think that it's better than Atom, VS Code, etc but org mode is best implemented in Emacs.
It's far from PS but it's usable. The absence of non-destructive editing is the biggest turn off.

Blender
vim
I hear gimp but since I started using it a bit I got upgraded to 2.8 and it's been completely unusable from bugs.

Blender is just as good but I bet they sabotage their UX to fit in with FLOSSies.

vim

>normies making fun of freetards
Real normies dont even know what freetards are. Normie on Sup Forums is just an excuse to be a dumbass

so is there a better alternative to PS than GIMP?

Blender, it does literally every thing. GIMP is faster though.

Oh and natron looks pretty neat but a bit premature. Not as general purpose.

no, GIMP with plugins is a powerhouse. Krita is better is some aspects (like native CMYK support) but it's nowhere close in terms of functionality. That being said, neither can do full-fledged import of psd which makes them unusable for professional work.
This guy has no idea what he is talking about. Using Blender as an image editor is even more retarded than to use it as a videoeditor.

also, if you are not on Loonix and don't care about non-free software - try Affinity Photo. It is still a lot worse than anything Adobe does but they are close second.

Blender is a full featured video editor comparable to anything Adobe's got. Admittedly yes blender is a shit image editor but it can be done. GIMP plugins though can theoretically work in blender too. Using proprietary PSD format though is a sign of an amateur or shit company.

>Blender is a full featured video editor comparable to anything Adobe's got
Once you get used to a retarded interface, amazingly strange way of Blender doing things and forget about thumbnails on a timeline (who the fuck uses a ve without thumbnails?), forget about the whole industry which makes amazing plugins for Adobe products...yeah, Blender is okay.
>Using proprietary PSD format though is a sign of an amateur or shit company
This is a borderline bait.

Intellij
Excel
Unity
Photoshop

I use Gimp every other day because I'm on Linux. It's utter garbage. It's not only illogical but there's a bunch of nasty bugs in it too. And their devs are total fucking morons. Very little of GIMP UX makes sense. I absolutely hate that piece of shit.

maybe it's because you use it so infrequently that you never got past the initial learning hurdle to productivity?

>It's not only illogical...
>Very little of GIMP UX makes sense
for example? Once I got PS keybindings - everything works okay. Are you one of thoose guys who can't draw a circle in GIMP?

I've only been having trouble with bugs since 2.8

No, it's just shit. GIMPtards can't even get the save dialog right!
Here's a quick example that always drives me insane...

Export dialog box... say you want to export some png as jpg... you go to Export and you see a drop down widget above the Save button. You'd think that this is how you select the JPG because that's how most GNOME and KDE apps select the format to save... so you select JPG from that dropdown but that won't save the image as JPG!
Oh no... to save an image as JPG, you have to CHANGE THE FILENAME FROM UNTITLED.PNG to UNTITLED.JPG. That drop down is just a fucking filter.
It's shit like this that drive me bonkers. And I can give you dozens of insane UX choices in GIMP that work like no other application on any OS. Selections are also utterly insane.

Seriously, fuck GIMP devs. They're just idiots.

Yeah, GTK is a huge problem. GIMP needs to get Qt.

the problem is - they are the one who invented GTK.

Yep. Now someone needs to uninvent it.

>Export and you see a drop down widget above the Save button
Well, maybe you just clicked the wrong dropdown menu? There is one to show files and one for export options.

why would you need two menus?

I kinda can see where it can be used...for example, you are an asshat who doesn't give a fuck about sorting files and has a hundred files in one folder. In this case it could be useful to filter files first. But I can see how it can confuse some people.

the whole program is confusing as fuck. while all the algos are great, the UI and UX is a complete abomination. I wish someone would just re-program the whole front end.

I got to agree that some things in GIMP are very uncomfortable to use (iwarp, for example) but it's still far from being an UX abomination like Audacity.

GIMP is cumbersome and not nearly as good as Ps, what are you people smoking? Didn't try Krita, Inkscape looks good.

Excel
AutoIT

>not nearly as good as Ps
and what FOSS software which is not aimed at devs is better or on par with proprietory analogues? Apart from Blender (which is also debatable).

This
Then set yourself free with the vim plugin for intelliJ

Wow, why does everyone keep shitting on Gimp? I use PS for work but personally, I use Gimp and I love it in every way. It took some time to get used to it, especially if you've used PS for a long time, but the curve is worth it. It's fast and does the job right. I would switch completely if you could import PSDs properly, though it's hardly Gimp's fault. PS and the whole Adobe Cloud is such a bloated mess.

Which plugins do you use?

This so much
GTK needs to die

Excel.

Mutt, the email client, solved a serious problem I had with web mail.

Emacs and Ledger

If I was somewhat experienced in GIMP and switched to PS would everything be a breeze or would I have to relearn everything?

Eclipse

a fucking ton. Some essentials are Layer via Copy, Liquid Rescale, Resynthesizer, etc. basically everything that brings PS functionality to GIMP.
Basic editing (layers, selections, etc) is very similar but has different keybingings, some of which are more comfortable (hold right mouse button to change the size of a brush) and some are more retarded (why the fuck do I have to push ALT to change zoom when it's binded to CTRL in every other program?). But PS has twice as many features compared to GIMP so it's naturally a lot harder to learn fully. I would say that GIMP can be a good introduction to professional image editing but it won't teach you a PS work-flow. If you want to learn PS - learn PS.

Guess it can't hurt to give it a try and see the difference, I haven't used PS since about 2005. Thanks senpai.

why does his head look so big

I used to use GnuCash but recently switched to Ledger. I will never look back.