Just installed ubuntu yesterday...

just installed ubuntu yesterday. Everything ok and anything that I had problems with I could deal with but there is this one shit that annoys me.

Every time I use a 3rd party program like Spotify, Chromium or even Sublime/Atom, everything freeze after 1-2hours and I have to reboot.

How can I stop these freezes?

Other urls found in this thread:

shitnigra.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Winblows

Mint/Arch/Gentoo > Ubuntu

>Spotify
You shouldn't be using this anyway.
>Chromium, Sublime/Atom
If these make your PC freeze, something is definitely wrong. Try to identify what's happening, freezing is a symptom, find the cause.

I need music man.

Sure, but you don't need a botnet to play that music.

Use SoulSeekQT you double nigger.

did u install it with snap, deb or tar.gz ?

the first thing to do in case of system freezes is to check your ram, press shift after BIOS when you reboot to enter GRUB menu and select memtest in GRUB.

run the test for several hours or until it freezes.

this, then if the RAM is ok try and reproduce the error, note down the exact time of the freeze then reboot.

once you have rebooted edit your logs in /var/log/ (syslog, kern.log, Xorg.0.log, etc...)

search for the timestamp of the moment when the freeze ocured or any error ( often tagged (EE) in the logs) and paste it here or in ubuntu forums for further assistance.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C1988

i guess you didn't get spotify, chrome and sublime/atom from the same place so the issue is most likely system-related. the source of the programs don't matter in this case.

What is this i don't even.
I've installed programs from repos, from PPAs, from .deb packets, from sources, but I've never seen something like this.

It's a pretty common command when using PPA's. Usually automated, but still.

you can also check the power manager and disable auto-sleep or hibernation, screen saver.

you never know...

retarded/10

IDK, i have always used sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shitnigra.com

>IDK
hence my explanation.

>something doesn't work
>y-you're not supposed to use that anyway
The state of lincux in 2017

you didn't explain much thing except mentioning that it's "pretty common" though

i google it and it's just a method to use when add-apt-repository cannot automatically add the key.

maybe OP downloaded some botnet from a shitty source, I always use trusted PPAs and haver never been used to force the key download, ever.

>something doesn't work
Spotify works just fine, it's just a botnet that shouldn't be used by anyone.

>i google it
man apt-key

i'm at work, on windows currently...

Install Windows OP.

You don't understand how GNU/Linux works.

blow my dick

fair enough

thats why I installed ubuntu, to learn it?

Well done, ignore pretentious retards like him. He probably uses Mint anyway.

In the case of music preferences, what could you possibly have to hide??

You don't need to reboot a Linux distro. Install htop or htop, look up the id and kill it with the terminal.

I mean htop or top.

Not a pretentious retard. I know how to use Google. I don't need to make a thread whining. Also probably OP is 15 years old and makes me angry.

My music preferences obviously.
>using the nuffin2hide meme

The nuffin2hide meme applies here more than anywhere else.

It never applies. You're a retard.

Instead of rebooting, try the following:
1. Ctrl+Alt+F1. If you've successfully switched over to your TTY, you can recover your machine without having to reboot!
2. Log in with your username and password
3. Use the following command: pkill chrome
4. Type exit
5. Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or Ctrl+Alt+F8) to return to your desktop environment

Oh you insulted me, you must be right. I'm open about my music tastes so I don't mind, tell me why I shouldn't be using it?

>explain things to a retard
I already have, and you don't get it, which is why I called you a retard.

why you so angry dudes? pls chill your tits.

I'd have thought you would have some arguments to support your apparently strong personal beliefs but I guess you were meming all along.

This is why I use Spotify:
>good value
>on demand with downloads/offline mode
>available on all devices
>no opinion on having my listening habits made available to 3rd parties

So why shouldn't I be using it?

>pls explain it again

>angry
lolwat? Why are you so sensitive?

I'm not sensitive, I just don't understand why. There is no reason to it, grow up man.

>I just don't understand why
Why what? What makes you think anybody is angry, if it isn't your sensitive homotions?