/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphones-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/
amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW
gearbest.com/sports-fitness-headphones/pp_666026.html?wid=21
schiit.com/news/news/welcome-back-eq-introducing-loki-mini
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>kirino
new thread where

what are the second best headphones after the ma900?

t.Manami

i want to kill myself....

Is there any frequency response graphs of the HD 579? I liked almost everything about the HD558 but I think the elevated high bass/low mids gave it a muddy sound that I didn't care for.

You won't like HD579 then. It is essentially an HD558/598 with better bass extension. Not more midbass, but more sub-bass.

>I liked almost everything about the HD558
>high bass/low mids gave it a muddy sound that I didn't care for
>muddy sound
KEK, the mud cannon meme strikes again.

You should buy some more mid-fi headphones and devices

That's what I thought. I got the HD600 and it's pretty good but I wouldn't mind having something with angled drivers like the HD558 has for a more forward sound stage.

see

Do it and send me your shit.

>worst girl
ONE JOB

Why, too many headphones? Why don't you sell everything but your main headphone? That's what i'm currently doing.

>tfw you finish a listening session with your senns

>autism

HD579s on MassDrop for $99. Do I do it?

OR do I do the AKG K7XX for $199? Would this require an amp/DAC?

HD579 if you want good headphones. K7XX if your name is Laquez.

>reposting this over and over
>trashcan on carpet

The K7XX ain't so great, I take it?

>I just want to drive a point that there is no single objective choice for headphone EQ currently and everyone has their own way of seemingly doing the same shit
I actually agree on that, desu i always thought more of it as a subjective thing, not even the pros can agree on what is the best curve, i don't see why consumers should pick on as the perfect one except perhaps for trying to EQ based on it and liking the results, which can be pretty personal.

Hell, half of the time i spend here i keep reading posts about how "neutral is accurate" and using this argument to trash whatever doesn't fit that FR but most of them don't even know accurate to what exactly.

See this? K7XX are even bassier than K712. They are literally bassier than Beats by Dre.

What if user likes extra bass? Not everything has to be "neutral".

t.Anjawon

because i don't like selling my stuff.

Is there a moto Sup Forums of headphones?

t. basslet

what headphones are these?

>how can white noise even compete

Well, hot damn. That answers that.

I'm not a huge basshead. Like, it isn't bad, but I don't go all out for having it just 'cause I want things to boom a bit.

If the choice is down to $99 for some headphones that pump sound out the way it should be vs $199 for some headphones that pump sound out really well but with a heavier bassline, I'm going to go with the cheaper, more 'true to the sound' option.

Those look like HD600 or HD650.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Sony z7 or e-mu teak?

>ma900
what is this garbage?

An absurdly comfortable candidate for equalization with 70mm angled drivers for exceptional soundstage. I cannot think of a better candidate for EQ.

Based black tech man has spoken

Idol trash here.
Got up from nap. Currently listening to THE IDOLM@STER (M@STER VERSION) on my mdr-7506.
Fulla 2 volume between 8 and 9 o'clock.
Sounds lpretty loud (this volume sounded quiet to me before nap), I guess I'm getting used to this.
I perceive the sound as a little better than before, but still meh.

Wtf I still hate audio technicas now

Is a schiit lyr2+bifrost multibit a decent stack?

Multibit is a meme, same with all expensive dacs. you're better off getting a magni 3 and modi 2 Uber (for the flexibility and lack of USB power).

>bifrost multibit
you won't hear a difference over the regular bifrost anyway

It should be decent for that amount of money. What headphones are you using because the transducer in the chain will give you more bang for your dollar. I listened to schiit's whole lineup with a variety of headphones and ended up going with modi multibit & vali 2.

Would the Modi be a decent upgrade over the audioengine d1? It's what I have now with a buyerdynamic a20 for the amp (I regret the amp especially)

audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/

Right now I have DT1990pro and the E-MU ebony in the mail.

Not at all. The dac in that thing is fine, in fact most dacs outside of especially badly designed ones (almost non existent in this decade) all measure and perform exactly the same. Save your money for better headphones and/or learn to use EQ on whatever OS you use.

Ah, thanks. I use vox for the music player on my mac. It has it's own EQ settings. Is that good enough for an EQ? I'm still researching ways to EQ the sound on the whole system itself instead of just one music player, but it's a start.

I'd go with a magni3 and modi multibit instead. A lyr2+bifrost seems like an odd mismatch.

DACs that do not suck are supposed to be transparent, so I have my doubts re: multibit.
That said, the modi multibit is both cheaper and valued higher by reviewers, when compared to the bifrost multibit.

its not a mismatch.

equalizer APO and peace gui would probably work better but I'm not familiar with your software.

Oh, sorry. for some stupid reason I confused the lyr with the vali, which is magni-sized.
Regardless, the bifrost multibit offers nothing over the modi multibit, besides looks.
And why do you want tubes so badly?
Re: pic, have you been to the schittr?

I'll have to look it up. At first glance it seems that it's harder to come by decent EQ software for the mac than on windows, so I'll have to do more homework.

As far as tubes, idk, maybe a different sound I guess to try it out. Currently have a solid state, so just wanted to try a change out. Even then, I was thinking of getting the option that had both the tubes and solid state option.

I'm bored basically, and wanted to try new flavors out, if you know what I mean.

HD 800.

Lyr 2 is a hybrid tube design so it wouldn't be as "tubey" as the Valhalla 2 or Bottlehead Crack.

Yeah, I was looking at those too. I was thinking something that could be best of both worlds, since I'm thinking of selling my a20 amp if I got some kind of schiit stack, and I know the E-MUs wouldn't do well with the high output impedence of the amp.

MA900 is significantly lighter and more comfortable.

But vastly inferior for EQ based on the HD 800's consistent fit.

I have two pairs of headphones. One for my laptop and one other for my mobile phone. Why don't they play the sound on each others device? Can I fix that? My phone headphones are kind of annoying me.

I am a gigantic faggot and like abnormal amounts of bass, so much that I can't stand 'flat' and neutral sounding studio headphones. I was looking for a pair of headphones from a decently reputable brand that has much more bass punch than normal yet still has decent mids and highs and came across these Custom One Pro headphones from Beyerdynamic:
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphones-Accessory-Microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/

What interested me was a switch on the cans themselves to change the level of bass you want. I know they aren't going to be as 'true' sounding as the 770Pro or whatever but does anyone have any experience with these? What does Sup Forums think?

they're good. Especially for your applications.

How do they compare to the other "bassy" headphones in their lineup? What's the difference other than the switch?

Not being a dick, just want to know.

Most "bassy" headphones overbake the bass. I'm not going to call them balanced by any means, but the mids are still there. They're v shaped, but not a butchering of the fqr in a manner like the vmoda and Dr dre beats do. They also have excellent sub bass, most "basshead" cans are just focused on mid bass and slam. These dig deep.

The build quality is also really nice, and like most beyerdynamic headphones they're comfy af

That's good to know. I was kind of torn on them because they are from a reputable brand but they seem to have a gimmicky theme with the bass switch and removable side plates so I had no idea what to think about them.

I wouldn't say the MA900 has an inconsistent fit. In fact, I'd say the giant gap pictured here likely stabilizes bass response by making sound leak from between the earpads and the head a moot point.

Don't they have that feature where you can customize the look of the cups with plates and such?

Nevermind, you said it.

no worries, if you decide to get them I hope you'll enjoy it.

Are etymotic any good or just ear dildos?

Im thinking of getting these:

amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

thoughts? these will be my first time getting open headphones

they are good but the microphonics make them wildly overpriced

good for the price

they're a great entry level open back headphone. They can be fairly bright though and lack sub-bass. The soundstage is wide, image is good, and mids are great.

I couldnt decide between closed or open back, so i bought the mass drop fostex thx00 ebony and a pair of monoproce m1060s. Am i going to regret this?

i wasnt going to get a microphone.

>They can be fairly bright though and lack sub-bass.

im not a audiophile so i dont know what you mean by bright .I listen to mainly classical so lack of bass is fine with me

microphonics are when you hit the cord or something and it translates into audio signal that you can hear.

if you're sitting perfectly still they are the best IEMs I own, but if you're walking around or doing literally anything else, you'll hear your movement over the music.

>microphonics
my b i have dyslexia so i read that incorrectly.

Ill be using it for home use anyway. But i will keep that in mind

Not the person you're replying to but that would be a deal breaker since I would only use them while being active.

>open back headphones
>active

Yeah that may be a bad idea. And by bright, I mean that the high frequencies are very glaring and occasionally overpowering.

I suggest iems for active use which I assume you mean exercise or working. Kz zs5/zs6 are good.

IEM's not open back headphones tard.

hf5 are open back?
how would that even work

I didn't realize he was replying to a different person, sorry

I fucked up, totally different conversation.

y/n?

Pleb, stick to speakers. DACs can and do sound different. All the ones you think "sound the same" are probably lifeless. Get a decent DAC with some challenging music and you'll know what I'm talking about.

>inb4 a/b testing I hear no difference

>DACs can and do sound different...

By all objective measurements that can be taken from dacs they sound the same when well designed. Even the analog sections provide the same signal to the amplification equipment.

I've heard every single major "high end" dac at the new York audio show for 3 years in a row now. They almost never sound different. If I ask them to play the same song on a high end cd player and then the digital file being streamed to a dac on the exact same system, it sounds exactly the same even though the cd player and dac used completely different dac chips. Any dac that sounds different is badly designed and/or not transparent. Headphones as well, there's always a headphone section of the show and dacs never make a significant difference through the same headphones and amps.

The most difference you'll get in sound quality is headphones and amplification and that's only if the headphone is insensitive or has a low impedence.

A headphone clip attached to your collar will solve the microphonics issue, as will wearing the cable over your ear as pictured here.

>dacs sound different
>chips that measure the same and analog output that measures the same sounds different
>source: my ass and my post purchase rationalization

Definitely.

>Budget
Not over 30€
>Location
Greece
>Source
LG G3
>Type of headphone
IEM, wireless bluetooth
>Comfort level
Best of both worlds?
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
LG quadbeat 2, LG quadbeat 3 (present)

I've seen these as an option
gearbest.com/sports-fitness-headphones/pp_666026.html?wid=21

>all of these sound the same

placebo audiophool: the post everyone.

I'd recommend the Custom Studios over those because the earpads are much more comfortable.

>actually describing DACs as "gooey"

>resolving
>expansive
>grainier
>digital
>useless adjectives to describe sound quality of dacs that all measure the same within given parameters
>schiit yggy is a good value and definitely not an engineering dick measuring contest
>schiit Loki on a dac list

nice memetastic list you got there, have any hard objective proof of the superior sound quality for any of these?

I find it hilarious the lampizator is considered poor performance and value. The one dac I found to sound different was a tube dac from the lampizator showroom where they were using the same pair of lowthers I had heard earlier. Not different in a good way, it was absolutely awful and distorting heavily.

Turns out it failed 5 minutes after I left and they stopped playing music for the rest of the show because they couldn't fix the output section and their one set of tubes popped.

mad your fake fiio didn't even make the list

>>schiit Loki on a dac list
To be fair, what's loki if not a DSD dac?

Oh I'm absolutely seething that my $70 dac/amp that uses a tried and true texas instruments chip combo didn't make a list that puts a $2300 meme dac as a "great value."

I forgot they made that dsd dac under the Loki name. I thought it was referring to their new 3 band equalizer which is also called loki

>I thought it was referring to their new 3 band equalizer which is also called loki
schiit.com/news/news/welcome-back-eq-introducing-loki-mini
Christ, this is new and I hadn't seen it yet :X
Looking into it now.
The MDR-7506 are sounding decent now. I guess "break in", i.e. my brain compensating its FR to HD600 target.