Facebook frog Edition

facebook frog Edition

Previous thread:
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

biosimage.booru.org/index.php
ebay.com.au/itm/Original-94Wh-Battery-45N1028-45N1029-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220s-X230i-44/282546381064
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for apple

something like this

i need that akarin

link in the OP
>biosimage.booru.org/index.php

What is the best thinkpad for gaming?

OP here. I didn't even include the title fuck i'm retarded

the T-grow up

So what do grown ups do for fun?

grown up stuff

dumb frogposter

nice fucking job

show us the splash screen user

same as

Getting a second t420 for the gf

That's all

Fuck you

You've been here foerever man, we know you don't have a gf. no need to larp user

>lefty

I installed Libreboot on my T500. After reassembling, I have 8 leftover screws and half of the screws I did use aren't fully screwed in because I have shitty manual screwdrivers. Also, I replaced the Wi-Fi card and now I can't get Wi-Fi unless I'm sat within 10 feet of my router. Fuck my life.

>falling for the freetard trannyboot meme shit
lmao f4m

>manual screwdrivers

Wow

>no subject
Rolling on the ground right now, m8.

I bought a dock and lost that thingie that goes in the middle that lowers the smaller platform (the hole)

What do now

cry

Redpill me on the x230t got a spicy deal on one

P51 master race.

>exploited firmware

Is rubbing alcohol dangerous for cleaning the X230 lid? I know its bad for the screen but what about the screen lid? My thinkpad's feeling really dirty and germy as of late.

Touchscreen and pen support at the expense of durability compared to the regular X230.

Is there any way to make x240 touchpad less shitty?
Sometimes it's not sensitive enough sometimes too sensitive

It's fine I use it all the time on my T420 cover

>holding the thiccpad with only 2 fingers by its edge
Damn that frog be strong

i use diluted isopropyl for the screen
havent noticed anything yet
also, anyone else notice that t440p battery life is garbage?

Who here is going to get the Thinkpad 25? Are you still gonna keep your old thinkpad?

h-how much is it?

>I think it will be price not too expensive because its based on the thinkpad t470 with just the old style thinkpad keyboard.

Thinkpad t470 is going somewhere $750 right now so I think it will be marked up by maybe at best $200 more

I've never had a thinkpad but i want one. And I was looking at the t420 do I need to upgrade anything when I get it, if so what do you guys recommend

T420 can be a great but its depends on your taste of what you like in a laptop

Generally speaking thinkpads come-as is fine. You might want to replace the screen later down the road but the base screen is 'good enough' to not need that immediately. Of course, if your specific model comes with 100gb of space or 2gb of ram, that'll be something you want to upgrade.

If it is reasonably priced and not a limited run, I will prioritize the Thinkpad 25 as my new potential upgrade.

I need a laptop that
>is cheap (can be bought used)
>has good battery life

Ideally something under $500. I know most used thinkpads are under that, but I'm not so sure about their battery lives. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

X230 with a 9-cell battery.

X220 with a 9 cell battery is perfect user,

can get an average 12 hours on it

these
>$500 budget
also get the battery slice
>$

Any way to use my thinkpad as the keyboard for my desktop?

thanks a lot for the advice guys.
I found a couple of people near me selling these on craigslist and I just shot them emails asking about the battery.

Since I've never bought a computer used before like this, what should I be looking for when I pick up the laptop? I assume I should be able to test it out really quickly before ultimately deciding on purchasing it.

DAILY REMINDER
For portable purpouses, nothing beats the x240 and his underpowered CPU.
You all a bunch of nigger for denying this.
>Inb4 touchpad mod
Fuck you. The Touchpad works fine.

>what should I be looking for when I pick up the laptop?
first, the usual exterior quality check
(are there any hairline cracks? do the screen latches function well? any deep scratches on the rubber lcd cover? is the battery officially from Lenovo? etc.)

Second, boot up the thinkpad, then go into BIOS by pressing the Blue horizontal ThinkVantage button
Check if supervisor password or other passwords are enabled.
Check if Computrace software is permanently activated (You will see a pink messagebox when loaidng the BIOS options if it is)

If supervisor password or any type of password is enabled, and the seller does not know them, don't buy.
If computrace is permanently activated, call tech support during the meet-up. tech support can verify quickly if the thinkpad is stolen or just lease-expired.
If it is the latter case, you MAY buy, but know that you WILL have to call back tech support to disable computrace

what else?

also, check for dead pixels

Thank you user, that was incredibly informative.

no problem user thinkpads are comfy everyone should own one

i want to use a custom splash screen on x220 but it has a modded bios. would updating the bio reinstall the whitelist?

yes it'll re enable the memelist

you can use a custom bios logo with the modded bios though you dumb baka

t420 owners, whats your battery life?

yeah i figured that out after i posted. sorry for being a baka

Reliable 7 hours on a 5 y.o Sanyo 9 cell, with only web browsing and programming.
Watch 4 Youtube videos then suddenly its now 3 hours

how do you flash a bios from linux?

that on windows or linux?

w-windows. no bulli

no idea i don't use linux

probably easier to boot windows and use lenovos tools

What's the difference between t520 and t420

Is it really that bad to buy a brand new thibkpad (T470) with 20% off.

opinion on i7-2820QM in t420

Yeah but I don't really see the point. There's better brand new laptops out there. The ThinkPad appeal to me is the old models are relatively powerful and cheap because they were mass produced. Also great keyboards and workability both of which you lose in newest models

>There's better brand new laptops out there
so what would you recommend as efficient, durable desktop replacement?

> desktop replacement
W series with a quad core i7 and ExperssCard.

why would i need ExpressCard

For an external GPU. Also don't forget a dock.

why would i need a dock

Look it up for yourself, maybe you don't need it. Dock means more ports.

i know, but i can connect my monitor, mouse and keyboard in built-in ports if i want to, never really needed more than 4 usb ports, so i think im good without it

upgrading to the i7 that is

Given that I don't like old keyboard that much, why should I buy old W series with obsolete CPU and GPU if I can have P51? Maybe it's more expensive, but at least I don't have to buy new ram, disc and external card

What would you recommend as a laptop then mainly used for university work and watching movies.

Do you have a dedicated gpu in that?

>can get an average 12 hours on it
absolute fucking horseshit

Was it worth the price? Are you happy with it? What do you use it for? How long time it lasts on battery?

Housefire
Stick with ivy bridge i5

Just bought myself a T520 as my first laptop. Am I even allowed to download the drivers without LSB?

W530 or T440p? What do?

Ignore this. I'm fucking dumb.

just get an x220 lmao
hook it up to a monitor/tv screen for movies

Should I get a 9 cell battery for my x230 off Lenovo's website for $160 AUD, or spend $85 on a Genuine one off eBay.

Here's the ebay link:

ebay.com.au/itm/Original-94Wh-Battery-45N1028-45N1029-For-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220s-X230i-44/282546381064

>Genuine one off eBay

i'd like a Sup Forums recommended thinkpad with a Mini Display output (since i already have the adapter to HDMI)

or in the same regard, which would you guys recommend with an HDMI port?

Wanted to mention, Thinkpads with unknown supervisor passwords can be some of the best bargains.

Short the BIOS chip in the right spot when you power on, no password just hit enter and your in. Its like hotwiring a car.

Got a pristine i5 T431S for $120 US that way.

On a side note, I'm considering desoldering my X230's and T431S CPU's and replacing them with quadcore ones. Anyone have any experience with this? I've only seen it done to x230 and not T431S or other.

no laptop is good for gaming, just get a desktop if you want to play games

get a DP to HDMI adapter since most have dual mode DP(I know that the X220 and T420 do at the very least)

t440p

>Thinkpad 25
Already own a e460 and a x220 i dont know if i can afford another one, i dont really need or have a use for it but boy do i want it

precisely the options i'm biting my nails for.
I'm a sucker for the classic keyboard ever since my t40

m8 it says genuine in the title and in their images.

I got the t540p a year ago and it works great.
I'm not really a Sup Forumsuy though so maybe somebody else has better advice.
It has vga out and miniDP. (so no hdmi). And some sort of hybrid HD4600/geforce 730m 1g graphic card.

I have a T430 with a SATA SSD in the main storage slot.

I want to install a 32GB mSATA SSD to use as cache for a SATA HDD installed in the UltraBay, on Windows 10.

How do I do this? Anything I should know? Does it work on Windows 10?

too late already ordered

Why not get a larger SSD for the OS and certain programs and just use the slower disk for storage?

RIP

I already have an SSD for the OS. I will soon buy a large HDD for storage. If having an mSATA cache helps improve the speed of the storage HDD, why not?

r8 my splashscreen boys