Isnt pic related the best thing ever happened to developers?

Isnt pic related the best thing ever happened to developers?

I think "system administrators" will be obsolete in a couple of years.

>"system administrators" will be obsolete
somebody has to feed the boxen

they just make the devs do it and call it devops.

then they break everything because everything about development is "lol, run it and if it mostly doesn't crash its fine" these days. (Python and JS are built on this attitude)

Give me a quick rundown

Can I use this to deploy a system with a given configuration/files, on a generic unmanaged VPS? Or does the VPS provider needs to provide support for it?

True. Every sysadmin will be replaced by two sysadmins dealing with Docker's flaws.

/Thread

>I think "system administrators" will be obsolete in a couple of years.
why?

you need a sysadmin at every ~50 employee company that regularly uses one system that interacts with another system

they're just tech janitors

ITT: broken devops solutions

Kubernetes

Docker is shit

How much overhead does Docker require?
Could I run the following Docker Instances on a 512mb VPS:
- Nginx
- MySQL
- Redis

MySQL alone requires >300MB of RAM... Switch that to MariaDb and you can run all 3.

Say you're building a new web service that consists of an API and a website. You can section off portions of your development computer into their own containers to run the operating systems that you want to do exactly what you need. So in the example, you can have a container running Ubuntu with an nginx server that talks to a CentOS container that runs Postgres for your database. Assume your API is a Crystal-based server, you can build and run that within RHEL. You can have all of these running at once and talking to one another to simulate deploying to actual disparate machines.

Or you could use Docker in production to partition out various tasks to keep them contained (depending on what you want to do). I've used it to run multiple parallel processes that pull in requests from a queue to manage resources, and it was a lot less hacky than trying to do all of that in a single instance.

Also, unless you're running Windows, it's not virtualized. As in, your computer is actually running multiple OS processes off of a single kernel. This makes it faster than virtualization since you don't need to emulate another machine and can be easier to work with since it's more direct. For example, you don't have to worry about file copying between a VM and the host since they use the same disk (only the contained process is often limited to being able to work within a particular directory of your choice so it doesn't affect anything that it has no business with)

>Or does the VPS provider needs to provide support for it?
The VPS needs to support it, that's the only thing.
You can't run Docker on OpenVZ hosted VMs all hosts are on a shared kernel that can't be changed and misses some critical functionality for Docker's networking. (I hear they want to update their old 2.6 RHEL kernel at some point)

But with Xen (and other supervisors) it works just fine.

tfw planning on being a sysadmin...

am i fucked lads?

>Isnt pic related the best thing ever happened to developers?
Unikernels are better, if now quite ready yet.

not much though databases you're supposed to use a bind/volume to keep it out of the /var/lib/docker overlay for reasons

Crystal is cute as fuck. I hope they succeed with it. Too bad about the lack of pattern matching, though.

No, Docker has shit tons of issues and sysadmins can't be deprecated as long as Unix-based OS's/Windows are popular.

I am an application administrator and I also do support and build (dev) environments and I make more money then many developers in my company. Lol.

docker is great for development when you need to get something running quickly. beyond that i think it's useless

How do I deploy docker stuff? Suppose I want to keep my code secret, how do I do it without uploading to the main hub thing. Also if I make just one commit and want to push live, do I tag it every single time I do this? Sounds dumb so I'm probably wrong.

It's nice to develop on but there are no guides on deploying REEEEEEEEEEE

>Sounds dumb so I'm probably wrong.
You should read a book on Docker.

You are indeed doing it wrong

>I think "system administrators" will be obsolete in a couple of years.

You do know sysadmins don't only serve developers, right?

What about domain controllers, mail servers, firewalls, security systems, storage, ESX servers? Developers won't manage these.

Can you stick Windows in a container?

isn't that a thing gay people do

You host your own registry, then after build you push your artifact into your own registry, after that you click deploy in your CI/CD environment which pulls the image from your registry and runs it

OP refers to the macfags the code to at coffeehouses

It's devops cancer that needs to die

Devops exists because IT can't ever move at the speed of the business. Better get used to it gramps.

It's quite nifty, I like it.

4* if they're trying to use Docker for Windows.

Kek, this.

You aren't. Go for it m8. I recently started working as junior sysadmin and it's the best job i've ever had. Pay is not extremely high( since im still a student) but work is mostly easy, someitmes you get to solve interesting problems. Lot of time to learn.

No. Qubes is.