Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/posts/librem5-gnome-and-kde-collaboration/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>install any OS(es) you want
iOS too? If not I'm out

Can I install symbian?

Full windows 10?

not really sure why people are getting pedantic around "any OS(es) you want"

It's like on a computer, if the OS can be installed, you can install it. Phones don't work like this today. You can likely dual/triple boot this phone as well.

If you can get an AArch64 build of an OS, you can install it, that's the pitch.

>If it can be installed, you can install it.
No fucking shit, really?

I wish linux manufacturers made shit for poor people. All these laptops are $2000 and this phone is $600. Nigga it's a phone. Give me like 800px resolution, 3.5in screen, some asspoor processor that can run a web browser, a great battery, and sell it like hotcakes for $100.

Why the fuck is it advertising Tox? Is this all an elaborate scheme?

specs? or not yet?

SCAM
C
A
M

99% of phones cannot install any compatible-architecture (AArch64 in this case) builds of an OS. They "can be installed" physically on the hardware but the manufacturer prevents you as the user from doing so.

The Librem 5 is operating more as a computer than a phone in this regard.

So, Redmi 3X + lineage OS is what you have described.

I wish Librem 5 makes it, android is sickening now with all the botnets
Librem 5 doesn't even have to do a lot, just make calls, send/receive mails, have a web browser and read pdfs
I don't care about apps or gps

FirefoxOS would be perfect but Mozilla implemented everything in bloated HTML5 on underpowered devices and then they pulled the plug

ahh yes, let me just fork over flagship tier phone money for a phone with last years specs that won't even ship until 2019, if it ships at all. Sounds good.

>gnome
It's perfect

Is it?
There is too much going on in gnome that will either push up the hardware and the price or make the phone slow
They should keep it simple, minimal and cheap and not try to reach ios and android level of bling

Plasma Mobile also said they will support it, UBports (unity 7) team prefers to stay quite, they don't want to promise anything

puri.sm/posts/librem5-gnome-and-kde-collaboration/

All their work is upstream, so it shouldn't be tied to any DE

>one month to raise $700000 (SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS)
o boi i am laffin

Sweet! Another garbage gimmick phone whose use case meets exactly 10 people total!

It's meant to be a fucking phone you autists. There is no reason to want to compile your Gentoo kernel on the go.

Everything they've raised so far ($750,000+) has been in one month. I believe crowdfunding tends to pick up towards the end as well, as people see it as becoming more likely. So it's no guarantee, but it's possible they will actually make it.

That said, ya'll better donate

Actually, if theres good isolation from the CPU to the radios this phone is desperately needed. They could sell a million of them easy.

So now I can install gentoo on my phone...?
>sold

What are you talking about? System76 laptops go for around 750-2800$. Their Galago and Kudu are fine for 1000$. Dell also has amazing 1200-1400$ Ubuntu laptops.
As for phones, well they need some funding since they're new to the market. Plus they don't use cheap chink labour force so of course there will be cheaper android chink phones. If they make this phone work they'll probably focus on covering more economic groups later.

>android
No

Can't wait to install gentoo and use and otg cable and a usb keyboard and live in the terminal :P

Can you call from the terminal???

Sup Forumsentoo man buys Librem phone.
Immediately installs a tiling window manager and rices it with loli moeshit animu.

I like 3d loli

Seems like a good concept, if there's an OS available that isn't shit tier and there's a version available for around the price of a Moto G I can see this taking off.

Wish every phone was like that
But this one is too expensive for me

Any phone with an unlocked bootloader can already install any os that works.

>any OS that works
>can't install anything except Android
choose one