Ubuntu has Lost everything she ever loved

Damn I didn't realize how hard Ubuntu got kicked in the ego over this 'dropping Unity' thing. First they scrapped the mobile OS they've been pouring everything into, then they have to scrap the DE they've been basing their whole identity on for 7 years.

They are literally trying to look just like fedora now.

"I think we should respect the GNOME design leadership by delivering GNOME the way GNOME wants it delivered.”"

Poor Bastards.

theregister.co.uk/2017/04/21/ubuntu_17_04_gnome_not_unity/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tlxUK80i4o
imgur.com/gallery/iJD8f
imgur.com/gallery/jNOru
youtube.com/watch?v=Pvfyr3y5LH8
youtube.com/watch?v=s7dTjpvakmA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not to mention that they're working with microsoft.

It's sad. I've been using Ubuntu ever since I started using Linux in 2009
I've always liked Unity
But I won't install 17.04, I'm leaving for Fedora and CentOS

Hope they'll be fine. Whatever anybody says - they've got the best Linux distro.
I've tried to hop to Fedora but have always came back. It's a less polished and stable system with fewer packages. You can test Pottering software first before it gets to be usable, so I guess that's a plus for some people.

This is a good thing. We should celebrate it. Linux folks need to stop duplicating effort.
Once they do that maybe they'll actually manage to create an OS that can compete in the consumer marketspace.
Now would be a good chance because Microsoft is fucking up their OS.

Has ubuntu done anything shady recently? Like that time they passed local searches through amazon? Is there any reason now to trust a downstream distro over ubuntu?

Intelligent users ditched Unity and switched to the much superior Xubuntu long ago anyways. Unity has always beem shit, I frankly can't understand all these "muh nostalgic unity" posts.

I seemed to be universally hated when it first came out. I never even tried using it because the whole sidebar idea didn't appeal to me.
Now I'll probably download Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu the next time I need a Ubuntu-based distro.

> Kubuntu
It's literally the worst Ubuntu distro atm. Go Xubuntu friend, you can't go wrong there.

>the worst Ubuntu distro
Care to expand on that?

Well. Here he is, the next king of desktop distros

Slow and unstable af

Well, Most buggy preinstalled kde distro.
If you want KDE distro, you should install linux mint kde, easy to use and install and stable

Unity is great, I hope a fork arises.

it's not. Contrary to most people I had the best Plasma experience with Kubuntu.
That being said, even GNOME without extensions is more polished and usable than KDE. Okular and Dolphin are great, though.

There are dudes maintaining it, but it's a community effort now.

unity sucked cancerous donkey aids dicks

I'm just glad the default newb-friendly distro now has a solid reliable DE on it that people don't feel the need to switch out for basic functionality.

Literally Xubuntu is the worst, no new packages, no new features. No changelogs on alpha/beta versions and no changelogs on some releases either.

Xubuntu 17.10 changelog:
Two xfce applications upgraded
Improved translations
Just install Debian xfce you autists

unironically this

If you have any doubts just install Debian with non-free packages (there's a separate ISO for that). You'll get practically the same end result but nothing fishy.

Is there a 100% open sauce version of ubuntu?

Well.
Linux mint already became better user friendly distro than ubuntu.

And when ubuntu becomes more shit, mint becomes better

>Just install Debian xfce you autists
Why? I want muh packages to be from this generation and comfy PPA's for a few applications that I do need to be bleeding edge. Also I want a stable DE which will not suddenly delete a feature that I use. Making Debian stable work well with newer packages which are not from a tiny backports repo is always risky.
Also there is just so many things I have to setup manually with Debian. Why would I want that?

Looks great for LTS.

Trisquel?

What is macOS?

>Now would be a good chance because Microsoft is fucking up their OS.
lol no they aren't

I think the whole Unity hate was from retards and the people who just got on with unity and liked it were too busy doing things with it to come out and say so.
Xubuntu, now that's a fucking turd.

You dumb shill, stop trying to cover everybodys needs with one blanket.

>"Unity is fucking trash, hope it dies"
>"ye, it's shit"
>Canonical: aight, we moving back to pure GNOME
>"n-no, please it was just a joke I love Unity, d-don't you see?”

trisquel

>Sup Forums is one person
Most thinkpad fags with shitty hardware couldn't appreciate Unity.

My 11 years old T60p runs it perfectly fine.

More like
>Canonical: Gnome2 is great and everything, but we'll now use our own Unity, with bugs but it's OUR distro and OUR decision.
>GNOME: B-but muh...
>Canonical: Unity is the optimal DE!!11! You may not like it but it's what peak performance look like.
>GNOME: Let's fuck our shit up f឴am. Fuck this GNOME2 everybody like and we'll force our new GNOME3. Also, we'll remove any tweaking tools we used to offer because that's what apple do and they are successful.
>freetards: REEEE!!!! *duplicate efforts into several gnome2 forks*
>Canonical: Also, X.org a shit, what about something more like a clusterfuck, like systemd and pulseaudio. We'll call this Mir.
>Canonical: Oh, by the way, we now send your data to amazon, with personalized advertisement and an amazon lens right here by default :^)
>Newfags came on the lunix ride, get used to ubuntu with unity as we got used to ubuntu with brown gnome2 theme and the "bum bum bum tatada tshhhh" boot melody.
>Canonical: We love Microsoft now btw. Microsoft is /ourpartner/
>freetards: REEEEEEE!!!!
>Canonical: actually, Unity a shit. We GNOME3 now. You GNOME guys are great. Let's make ubuntu great again :^)

I have ubuntu Installed in windows :^)

Linux is a mess. just get a mac

Be a freetard is suffer

Gnome not Unity. The new GNU to be talking about?

It's based on Ubuntu you idiot

I used to be a gnome2 fag, with dank wobbly windows and desktop cube.
I went off this ride by falling for the rice meme and using my own openbox config.
I still use ubuntu as a throw-away disto when I took my laptop abroad and in my workstation at uni with default theme to hide my autism power level.

Unity is so shit DE, even its creator decided to throw away to trash.

for emacs only mode you don't need unity tho

I'm trying to fall for the emacs meme but I don't like how emacs wants you to do everything in emacs
>you don't need a terminal emulator, use the one in emacs
>muh org-mode
>a web browser and an email client? do it in emacs newfag!
>Why would you use a file browser when you there's an emacs package that does this?
>org-mode
>"my OS is just a bootloarder for emacs"
>emacs-client, so emacs load quickly *random emacs guru 5th dan in elisp ninjustu* loading quickly? *smug* why would you need to every load emacs twice? I just LIVE in emacs *smug*
>"I didn't see you there, I was just chatting in irc within emacs"
>TETRIS IN EMACS !! 2048 IN EMACS !! PACMAN IN EMACS !!
>O R G M O D E

>linux mint kde
I checked. It ships with Plasma 5.8. That is ancient.

Just use it as a text editor. Spacemacs is pretty nice and can be used with vim binds.

GNOME 3 is love
Resistance is useless

Love your posting style, please post some more

I'm trying vanilla emacs so my config file doesn't become a clusterfuck first.
The configuration of emacs is comfier than vimscript, and swiper and flycheck are GOAT.
But I took the habit of exiting the text editor, running terminal command, reloading the text editor and so on.
vim shortcuts are better though, (especially dd to delete a line rather than C-e C-space C-a C-w, and ci( to change text within parenthesis)
I also don't like emacs using the Internet connection to check for melpa everytime I fire up the editor (or emacs-client)

There's basically no reason to use Ubuntu over Debian Testing at this point.

I'm a hardcore Vim addict and shill, but I'm not gonna lie I have a hard-on for emacs org-mode.

>They are literally trying to look just like fedora now.
No Ubuntu is more comparable to Red Hat with newer and better desktop software but slightly less stable for server use in my opinion. Ubuntu is definitely higher quality than fedora.

Works? Works.

You can't improve on perfection.

I stopped using Ubuntu since I moved to arch.
It sucks that it's so dire now but oh well, who cares. I don't even use DEs now.

Thanks man, I appreciate. unfortunately I can't "be funny on command" without being cringy AF.
If you're a newfag, I suggest you to look for greentexts youtube.com/watch?v=0tlxUK80i4o
imgur.com/gallery/iJD8f
my favorite : imgur.com/gallery/jNOru

They were referring to what shit'll look like after they change out the DE next year.

Yes, yes they are.

t. someone that had to switch back to windows

yep.
Only if you want a trouble free system with carefully tested packages and nice font redering.

>trouble free system

Ubuntu is literally just Debian testing with aesthetic changes and non-free software by default.

>nice font redering

nice meme

GNOME3 is clusterfuck of JS and ever changing design philosophy. It will never be great until they decide on what the fuck they want to do with it.

>nice font redering
I'm getting deeper in the rabbit hole of meme font rendering.
>blurring the fuck out characters like apple does.
>"check muh glorious font rendering" *post screenshot with font zoomed 150%*
>Random user post a screenshot on a 4k display and get smug about it.
>pic related is what I got with vanilla ubuntu, 1600x900 screen res and default font size.

>Microsoft is fucking up their OS
They changed everything and they're benefiting from it now, Windows 10 is good. I left Windows when I was forced to use 8.1 on my new laptop, and came back when I tried W10.

>tearing everywhere

I'm far from a Unity fan but pure GNOME is literal cancer spawned from hell and fuck Canonical for this
I can't even stand live CDs who use that shit for more than a couple minutes

>Windows 10 is good
Well there's one opinion.

>perfection
Nice.

And is Kmail now bug free?

Cinnamon >>> *
it really is the best DE.

>Windows 10 is good
Windows 10 is mediocre and inferior to Windows 7 from the user's perspective.

Under the hood there's some neat improvements, but the smart choice would have been to simply backport those changes and release "Windows 7 SP2: We're Sorry Edition"

> memeing everywhere

XFCE > Unity all the way dude, the comparison isn't even fair to be honest.

>smart choice
This implies that user satisfaction is somehow important to them.

At this point, they are looking to get acquired by MS for use with Azure

Windows user here on W10 for the drivers and gaming

To be fair, they were always sellouts. This really shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Microsoft's priorities:

Making $ off the store > making $ off ads > getting in schools to hook kids> not having to support old software >>>>>>>>>general user satisfaction> Sup Forumsentooman satisfaction

smart ≠ nice

This. Just werks+functional+lot's of features+looks good.

You should try it. If you need a alternative of ubuntu, mint is even the next level of user friendly desktop distro.

Pfft. Better they do. Sooner or later people and developers will be done with their shit and actually go to linux (Probably debian/ubuntu/mint distros)

gentoomen are further down. Also you forgot "mine users for profitable data"

Honestly, GNOME isn't that much better than Unity.
youtube.com/watch?v=Pvfyr3y5LH8
GNOME 2 was my favorite DE and I was slowly starting to adopt Linux as my Desktop OS. However, I believe it was around GNOME 3 when they started going full retard, and mimicked Unity in every way they could. Ubuntu also made that disastrous decision to ditch GNOME 2 and create their own abomination of a UI that I absolutely detested. It was around that time I had to ditch the entire Linux desktop ecosystem and adopted Mac OS (Macbook Air) because I simply couldn't stand using GNOME 3 or Unity. I never liked KDE and couldn't stand using it from any version. I'm just one person, but all this wasted effort and stupidity really drove me away from using Linux as my main desktop OS. If I ever use Linux, I simply use it headless or just install a simple WM like fluxbox.

Ubuntu is bleeding money out the ass with all their 'womens initiatives' which turned out to be money sinks. You can't ever reduce funding for something like that without having a shitstorm over sexism or something so you cut everything else instead.

what exactly is unity used for anyway? apart from shitty newgrounds games that is.

Then there's this guy

>Honestly, GNOME isn't that much better than Unity.
Better? It's WORSE! MUCH WORSE!

7/10 bait

Rajeet, I said GNOME isn't that much better than Unity. In English, this means GNOME is just as bad as Unity.

This will never happen for 99% of people. At most, more users might shell out for mac.

>frogposter
>Rajeet
Fuck off back to plebbit you low IQ brainlet.

This. If the 5000 slight variations of the same shit came together as a single OS, we could actually complete with macOS.
But no, let's concurrently dev 5 DEs and 10 PMs that basically copy each other...

You have to go back.

We're much closer to desktops dying as a concept than being taken over by linux. Although its fork android is the #1 most used OS in the world, so don't y'all get out all the party horns at once.

>We're much closer to desktops dying as a concept than being taken over by linux.
Pretty sad to realize this, I had high hopes for Linux back in the mid 2000s when IBM decided to embrace open-source.
youtube.com/watch?v=s7dTjpvakmA

It's not surprising really. In order for things to go much different, Linux would have had to become way more user friendly, and it's not hard to see why that didn't take shape. Hardware may follow Moore's Law, but software development goes by Murphy's.

why did they even make it? its exactly like gnome but with a different theme and even less features than gnome has.

this is actually a good thing

what it means is the best survive and the losers are weeded out. It's a microcosm of evolution in action and gets much better results in the long run

As far as I'm concerned linux is now successful enough that I can use it as my primary desktop OS

I don't care if normies get into it. In fact, I'd rather that they didn't. I don't want linux to ever get over 10-20% marketshare, there'll be so much shit that comes with it.

He was autistically shilling Debian. New packages are pointless, perpetual change for changes sake.

They planned on making Mir compete with Wayland so they wanted their exclusive DE

i used to love ubuntu. it was too simple and handy os. They fucked up so bad ;___; It has everything you need and all the good software.
For now i am using mint which based on ubuntu but works fine. Also mint's live usb faster than ubuntu.