Is there any linux distro that allows you to use completly whatever you want (including whatever init system you want...

Is there any linux distro that allows you to use completly whatever you want (including whatever init system you want to use)? Package manager can be an exception, but what about distros that allow to customize your OS completly that way? From what I know you can't for example switch from OpenRC to runit on Gentoo or use OpenRC on Void Linux. What do ya think about that? Do you know any distros that allow you choose whatever you want?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
linuxfromscratch.org/
google.com/search?q=systemd segfault
google.com/search?q=systemd crash
google.com/search?q=systemd freeze
gnu.org/software/shepherd/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Make your own

redhat

At this level of customization you honestly might as well roll your own distro

You kind of have to make your own system at that point. An init system isn't something that can easily be changed by simply replacing the files, there will be dependency errors out the wahzoo. What you can do is learn about linux system development and use LFS or DamnSmallLinux to kind of mess around with the system configuration.

Also if you're meme-ing about systemD, im sorry.

Gentoo has official support for OpenRC and systemd. If you are knowledgeable enough you could probably swap them for any init system of your preference.

Calculate linux
Gentoo
Heads

Gentoo supports runit
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems

>

Gentoo
LFS
Slackware

Gentoo. You can even use a kernel other than Linux if you really want to.

Devuan
Alpine
Cucumber
Slackware
GuixSD
Gentoo
GoboLinux
Dragora
Void
K-UX

Linux Mint.
>I want systemd, pulseaudio, firefox, cinnamon, bash, etc.

What you're looking for is Bedrock Linux.

why don't freetards just all make one super flexible distro that lets you choose everything yourself instead of 9000 trash distros that are all just shitty reskins of the 4 """good""" distros?

>Gentoo. You can even use a kernel other than Linux if you really want to.
debian can even use HURD. jelly?

Devuan was made for that.

Start with any linux distro then. They all have the same configurable kernel, which is the only part you're even going to be 'saving' for this stupid contrived requirement.

There's literally only one good distro and that's Ubuntu. At this point, there are enough variations to where you can make it as light or as heavy as you want it to be. You can decide to make it a desktop OS with tons of software if that is what you wish, or you can make it a lightning fast, minimalist, CLI-based server OS with only the software that you absolutely need, both of which can be set up in less than half an hour and do not require any extensive googling.

systemd is one of the most useful and consistent things ever happened to Linux so far.

I've no idea if the people disliking it are just following a meme or generally retarded. Probably the latter.

Purveyors of FUD and their useful idiots.

G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O

Gentoo does let you switch to runit or other init systems. There are entries in the wiki. Also there's some guy in the gentoo forums who has a collection of runit init scripts iirc.

he is trying to be smartass

Those idiots and their concerns over a single point of failure, large, ever-changing code making it unable to be reviewed well and consistently and the NSAs "assistance" with the project. Retards

Devuan is like that, I use it now. It's comfy and it pulls from Debian except where they 'fixed' it so you get your system updates and whatnot instantly as well.

Are you actually trying to use it, or just sticking with the default config?

I've found that once you have more than a couple of units, and are often starting and stopping them, that before log systemd locks up completely. It stops responding to requests, reaping zombie processes, or even allowing the system to be rebooted normally.

You're stuck using sysreq, or "systemctl reboot --force --force --force" to reboot the system, and get things working again.

It might work fine if you don't use it for anything complex, but if you go beyond those basics, it's completely fucked.

There is Manjaro with the Architect installer. Check it out, you can use OpenRC.

>ubuntu
>good

>im twelve and what is this

You can switch to runit on Gentoo. I did it once for fun.

Plz Poettering. I just asked for an init system; not a giant clusterfuck.

linuxfromscratch.org/

google.com/search?q=systemd segfault

google.com/search?q=systemd crash

google.com/search?q=systemd freeze

I manage over 200+ Centos 7 servers and I've no fucking idea what you're talking about.

You're probably mad that you're 1337 i3 Sup Forums approved wm is crashing. No one cares about that.

Just wait for Poettering to eventually break one of your configs for no reason.

>shit made by other people
>freedom

Unironically this

I help manage a couple of thousand machines running Debian Jessie. I see enough systemd lockups to be annoying, but not enough to pinpoint what in the config is making it lock up.

You can configure gentoo to run anything, like GNU Shepherd aka GNU dmd
gnu.org/software/shepherd/

Or run GuixSD Shepherd is default

Is there any actual reason to use Shepherd over OpenRC?

Gentoo

So because your use case doesn't trigger a bug, it must not exist?

Just remember; if systemd locks up, and stops working, you need to use the poorly documented "--force --force" option to "systemctl reboot" to reboot the system without resorting to sysreq or other crude means.

>Is there any linux distro that allows you to
no