Why is .rar so popular when .zip makes more sense?

Why is .rar so popular when .zip makes more sense?

RAR (used to) have better compression ratio.

Idk O.o but I do know about RAWR! XD

Both are shit. 7z has been around for years now.

The same reason Windows is more popular than GNU+Linux

>came before .7z

And no, .zip is irrelevant because it didn't offer the compression ratio of .rar

scene standards.
scene doesn't like change.
do you find rar files outside of pirated media?

why is zip so popular when tar and bz2 makes more sense

Is rar still used that often anymore? I remember seeing them all the time during the heyday of torrents

Yeah

>end winrar trial
>you can keep using it putting up with just a nag window

Literally foss

With are gz and bz so popular when xz makes more sense

Truth
XZ is better than bzip2 in every way.

>Literally foss
I don't think that means what you think it means.

you're litterally a pussy

bzip2

zips are the most popular
tar balls too
I haven't seen anyone unironically rar their files in years

LZ-based schemes are old enough to be free of patent issues and are mostly good enough.

xz/7z is ok but not probably not the best we're currently capable of.

ANS-based coding (vs. arithmetic, it's gimped sibling Huffman, or range coding like in xz's LZMA) looks to be better, but the patent(ability) issues aren't resolved yet and everybody's doing their special snowflake version (LZFSE, Zstandard) instead of settling on just one variant.

RAR integrates a recovery record into the file. To get the same redundancy with ZIP you need to use PAR or similar which is a separate program and produces separate files.

why are .zip .rar .7z .tar .bz2 and .xz so popular when .mp3 makes more sense

Because its Russian, Russkies know how to make stuff that werks

everyone knows because it's a lossy format, just like CDs and DVDs. it degrades over time.

Because Windows.

Zip doesn't make more sense, 7z does.

People who paid for a Winrar license trying to justify the money they spent.

>zip
integrated into Windows tier

>rar
master race tier, split archives, recovery archives, everyone knows it

>7z
kys tier

I haven't seen rar for years. It's always zip and (sometimes) 7z.

>zip
integrated into Windows tier

ok

>rar
master race tier, split archives, recovery archives, everyone knows it

lol no, fucks up archives whenever it feels like it, especially if it isn't .rar

>7z
kys tier

do i really have to tell you why you're retarded?

As long as it's lzma2 I don't care, 7z xz, whatever container. paq or arc for long term storage.

insted of relying on these things app makers should just optimize their code

yes tell us why 7z and lzma2 are retarded

this retarded redditor can't even quote properly

(+4 Informative)

>He doesn't spend hours zipping his tars as ZPAQs.

>tfw SFX

yeah, I still remember when a lot of people were forcing it, and it made sense back then, saving a few MBs was worth it

>split archives
This combined with early piracy culture.
In the olden days of pirated BBS and early FTP distro scenes, the agreed upon system was to break everything into floppy disk sized chunks and stuck around well past the age of BitTorrent.

>spend 3 days downloading all the rar files for a game rip on a 56k connection from a sketchy ass warez site
>one of the archives is corrupted
>mfw

May i interject for a minute. Its 2k17 ant there is still no archive format with secure encryption. Why?

why is xz so popular when lrzip makes more sense?

rar was used often before torrents as you can add a little redundancy to the archives, so they could be fixed up if there was some corruption
this doesn't matter with torrents, as it transfers small chunks at a time, which are all hashed, so a bad chunk can be automatically detected and re-downloded, without the need to re-download the whole file

>do i really have to tell you why you're retarded?

Because you're projecting?

rar compressed better.
But not the best, so I have no idea why it's used so often.

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD.

The days of caring about this shit are over. 7zip is fine for everyday use.

>reddit spacing

Why is that? I'm actually curious. I'm not really in the know when it comes to compression.

Rar is literally proprietary.
Whoa! That's some opinion you have there, user. You sure know a lot about compression!

lrzip (long-range zip) works by loading a large amount of the input into memory, and deduplicates the data, and rearranges things to make it compress better, then it passes it on to a stream compressor (lzma by default, you can also tell it not to pass it onto a compressor, if you want to use an external one)

The industry best practice is to create a partition on the outermost sectors of the drive to hold compressed data, so that the increased centrifugal force while spinning holds the bits together and reduces degradation.

*ahem*

I'd like to interject for a moment and say that PAR files were the SHIT. Always gave me a fuzzy feeling when I downloaded some 140-piece archive, see several pieces missing, but there are more than enough PAR files to fill in the blanks.

#usenetlife

Why use anything but 7z?

>not using ACE

turboplebs

>during the heyday of torrents
So you mean today is not the heyday of torrents? Has there been anything better to replace it?

>secure encryption
Is 7zip not secure?

Most people stream.

>RAR (used to) have better compression ratio.

It still has. Classic RAR beats ZIP, RAR5 beats 7z.

That's just for multimedia. And yes, I know torrents are not used as much as before, but it's still the most used p2p file sharing protocol. You still don't have anything better replacing it.

Yep for downloading music albums I am seeing always .rar

AES256 is cryptographically secure now and for the foreseeable future

And is that true for its implementation in said softwares?

btfo

Yes. For example, wikileaks has previously dropped encrypted archives before releasing the password and none were ever successfully cracked. That's some pretty high profile stuff, so I would imagine at least some people decided to throw quite a lot of resources at it.

.rar archives? or .7z ones?

Also, why would they reveal they have cracked it?

7z > rar > zip

We all should be using whatever Fitgirl Repacks uses.
That shit is cash.

The encryption a d the compressing are two different steps. You can take first to get a single file, then encrypt with whatever the hell you want, then compress with whatever the hell you want.

>download a torrent or file from internet
>.rar
>into the trash it goes

anyone else think they always contain virus?