Laptop Thread

/Laptop/ Thread.

I have been looking at new laptops for University and don't know whether to go with Thinkpad T470 (£700) or Dell Inspiron 7577 (£800). It would just be used for light gaming and mainly university work. Which should I choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA/
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laptops-for-college-students/
certification.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Lenovo/?query=&category=Laptop&release=16.04 LTS&level=Any
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also it needs to last 6 years

XPS 13 dev edition. Put Fedora 26 on it.

The XPS is way over my budget (£900 max). If i could i would.

Sell your body the xps 13 is worth it

I can't do that otherwise I won't need the XPS

Buy a nice desktop, if you don't already have one. Take notes in class with a pen and fucking paper.

I have a desktop at home and am moving abroad and starting new. Id prefer a laptop for portability. And don't need a desktop if I have a decent one.

Lenovo all day long, nigga.

But it'll be a new T model, I've heard they aren't that great. And I'm not really for buying a used one since I want it quite customised and don't want to do it myself

do you not know how to operate a screwdriver? that is far more important than whatever the hell university is teaching you

Never settle for a shitty 1366x768 screen

I'm sorry for that reply, after checking the specs on the Dell side it's way better. Lenovo still on 1366x768 shit even on T470.

This. I love my Thinkpad x220 but it has 1366x768 screen resolution and that is NOT okay in 2017

2017 Macbook Pro with TouchBar

>This. I love my Thinkpad x220 but it has 1366x768 screen resolution and that is NOT okay in 2017
1366x768 on a 13' laptop is perfect because you don't have any HiDPI problems.

just get a T420 or X220

Dells are inferior rip offs of ThinkPad. Don't listen to shills, new ones are better.
768 is good for your eyes, you won't be like some chink who has to squint

True but everything is more squished together. I can't place two windows side-by-side to each other legibly like 1920x1080 resolution kings can.

Don't buy a new T-series you're paying for business-only features and on-site service and shit. And keep in mind Thinkpads trade lightness for durability which is probably not what you'll want as a uni student

also
>light gaming
I don't know what this implies but keep in mind that the low-volt processors and low-end integrated graphics you find in most laptops are absolute ass for gaymen

Guys, is this a good laptop for under $200?

asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Chromebook-C201PA/

It only gets worse, ni/g/gas

I notice that people who talk shit about newer ThinkPads never say the same about Dells even though Dells are by design close imitations of ThinkPads. Hypocrites much?

>light gaming
>chromebook
what

just get a used thinkpad and stop being a faggot

At least Dell have better specs for the same price.

>just get a used thinkpad and stop being a faggot
can't, my dad doesn't trust used computers

try this:

palmelectron.com

Even if that is true, I notice every time I use a Dell my blood pressure seems to go up. Not worth it I don't think

>any HiDPI problems.
Since when is HiDPI a problem?

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laptops-for-college-students/

Oh my god, you're fat.

Its not that i cant its the fact that im leaving in a week and have other things to sort out rather than building an outdated laptop just to find it to be dodgy. also Im going to study medicine lol

It makes you squint more like some chink

Wot. I used x240 and x250 at work and they werent special at all. Horrible trackpads, hd screen, bulky. Platicy. I was thinking of buying latitude 7280 for my personal use. It seems pretty good altought expensive.

No it doesn't.

I'd upgrade the screen, battery and hard drive for £100 extra. Should that make the choice easier?

What the gaming laptop I'm wanting has is more than enough for me. Better specs than my pc build

The Dell one has a 4K screen tho...

I will get the base version. With 1080p screen and 1Tb HDD

This just shows how retarded laptop users are. I can't imagine doing any productive work on a fucking 14" screen in the year 2017. Laptops are richfag toys.

good luck taking your desktop to the coffee shop

Poorfag here and I can't justify the price manufactures ask for 4GB of RAM, 1366x768 screen and 500GB of 5400rpm HD.

I would sit at the coffee shop and enjoy my fucking coffee, maybe do a little reading on my phone (or from a real book). Laptops are shit for productivity, and working mobile sucks period.

This is obviously a scam. lol

X230. The last good X-series ThinkPad.

Good battery, compact design, USB 3 and you can get one for like 100$. Buy a new a battery and a cheapass SSD and you're good to go.

Thanks, user. ^^

Get the latest macbook air.

Are Acer laptops worth it, or are they just knockoff ASUS

>acer
>asus
>knockoff
lol. just because the first letter is the same, or what? How about ADATA? Are they just a knockoff of ASUS too?

For the love of Allah don't buy a laptop for gaming.

I use a T470 for work.

Screen is mediocre, touchpad is mediocre, battery is good, keyboard is annoying as the key spacing is kind of awkward. Chinese hardware botnet built in.

It feels cheap.

its not a laptop for gaming, its a laptop which will be occasionally used for gaming. T470 doesn't sound good desu

I use a T460 at work. It's good, 'for a laptop', which means it's pure shit. I bought a laptop once back in 2007. I promised myself never again. All they are is toys for richfags.

Anyone attempting productive work on a less than 22" display in the year of our lord 2017 is an idiot. A touchpad? Would anyone actually choose to use a fucking touchpad over a mouse?

Can you tell me more about the good points of the T470, to me there is no difference between it and the XPS other than the casing. I will probably build a T470 with identical specs the to the XPS 13

Get an e470 with the i5-7200U, 940mx, 1920x1080 IPS and 8gb ram

you dont NEED 100% a laptop for school but having one at the ready made hopping on and pounding out of few pages of work without having to wait for a spot to open up in the schools computer lab. desu if you are paying out the ass for tuition why not have a nice laptop to last 4 years

I can buy a 4TB super portable external HDD pretty cheap for my laptop. Are you a video editing fag or someone who needs huge HDD space all the time?

any good deals on cheap $500 laptops

Is there any 200-300$ sub 1.2kg linux friendly laptop or tablet with keyboard?

Sure. Lenovo Thinkpad 11e just off the top of my head.

certification.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Lenovo/?query=&category=Laptop&release=16.04 LTS&level=Any

You can forget about that