Is switching to linux worth it on my windows desktop? I'm doing programming in my school and everyone has linux...

Is switching to linux worth it on my windows desktop? I'm doing programming in my school and everyone has linux. It seems nice. But, I don't want to have to re download all my software for linux and I don't think it;s even worth it. Anyone with linux has it on a laptop, I see.

>I see.
A thread died for this.

If video games are your hobby, don't. Can't play shit.

You can dual-boot Linux on your computer with many distros. Just do that and then you get the best of both worlds

If you are doing programming, you should probably be experimenting with as many operating systems as possible.

Start experimenting with everything that you can; use VMs to start with, and then decide which OS works best for the low level on your hardware.

Try out Linux, the different flavors of BSD, Minix, QNX, and fire up VMS or Multics in an emulator.

Keep trying new things all the time.

Software installation is automatic on Linux.

use OpenSUSE

I pretty much do this.

It allows you to have the flexibility to boot into windows if you are missing a certain piece of software and need it at a moments notice. Which is nice to have, because as great as Linux is, there is some superior implementations of software on windows.

If you enjoy using linux you'll continue to use it and slowly stop booting into windows, and vice versa.

There is no reason to stay with WIndows. Install Ubuntu on your computer, try out a few of the desktop environments which can be installed in parallel with one command. If you like games there are literally thousands available. Of the 216 games in my Steam library, 173 have a native Linux version. Most of the remainder work OK in WINE if required.

Just do it.

For programming? Absolutely. It's like night and day trying to manage dependencies on the two operating systems.

>programming on Windows
Don't do this to yourself.

Chances are you will find functionality for most of your softwar in the base install of Ubuntu. Unlike windos which only comes with notepad and viruses so you have to buy and download everything you need from random russian spyware torrents.

Switching is worth it but I recommend that you do it gradually. Take the others advice and make it a dual-boot system so you have the option of going back to Wintendo.

You can't "re download" your software for GNU/Linux, it doesn't run most Windows programs (some do run fine in WINE). You'll have to learn new and better and free programs. If you're used to Photoshop then you'll have to learn how to use GIMP. If you're used to MS Word then you'll have to learn Libreoffice writer. These things will take time. But you might as well get started switching now. All we need is the right major Windows malware and the nations will accept the GNU World Order.

There's also office365 available, which seems to be the main version of office now.

Linux is a good kernel but I don't think you can switch to it using windows.

use a virtual machine if you aren't sure about switching/dual booting

if everyone else has linux, they're going to think you're a faggot if you're using windows. do you want everyone to think you're a faggot or are you going to give in to the peer pressure? the choice is ultimately yours, but i think you know that at some point you'll have to install gentoo.

>2017
>not dual booting

cmon m8

giving a fuck what someone thinks of you based on what os you happen to be using at the time
>>/out/

>giving a fuck what someone thinks
like you wouldn't join in with the others when they start pointing at op and laughing at his windows faggotry

I run Linux on my laptop and use my desktop for playing windows games.

I find desktops to be shit for programming because I can't just take it to class and whatnot.

This

my situation is pretty much the same as OP,but i only have a laptop
any advice is very helpful to me

> buy ssd and usb3 adapter
> install linux on it
> have portable linux station

>I don't think it;s even worth it
Then it won't be worth it to you. Either a.)Stop being a faggot and make your own decision or b.)Continue being a faggot, but at least try to do your own fucking research. We're not your parents, think for yourself and come to your own fucking conclusion, read a wiki, run a live usb, there are plenty of options.

having a spare laptop with a gnu+linux distro is pretty goof to learn with. my boss hooked me up with one and told me to have at her now i run it on my desktop but i still use windows as well because i need the gayms

please please PLEASE do your research on how to do this properly, otherwise you can very easily break your windows install. backups are also a *very* strong recommendation.

cloud9

It gives you a VM with ubuntu and lots of programming languages and compilers pre-installed. It has a terminal, file system browser, nice editor, all you need right in the browser. Zero maintenance. You get 1 free private VM and unlimited open-source VMs where anyone can see you coding. Coupled with bitbucket private repositories, you're set for life and you don't even have to leave your windows games behind.

If you dont vidya, and you are kinda new to linux.

Pick linux mint. Very good user friendly (so is best for begineers and lazy people).
Best just work OOTB linux distro.

If you are familiar with linux... well you can do "Distrohopping"(Changing and testing diffrent distro) and stick with distro you like.