>overclocks both
>buys a $60 PSU
why the hell do people do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html
avespeak.com/index.php?title=Pixie
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=348
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lol who needs a good psu anyway, fuck man, I can fabricate my own AC to DC converter for like $2

the human eye can't see over 400W anyway

Those people are smart, who would spend a ton of money on a chunk of metal that only converts electricity.

the biggest red pill of them all

Converting electricity from one voltage to another is not a very complex problem anymore. This is not the 1800s

If the cheapo psu doesn't cause any harm/damage to the rest of the system, then what's the problem?

I'm about to build an 8700k + 1080ti system and plan to use a Seasonic G650 I got for $65. I didn't plan it that way, but its just sitting there...

Should I buy a Seasonic Focus Platinum 750 to balance it out anyway?

You can get a 1000 watt ps for $60 from Amazon.

Isn't that enough watts for you?

how retarded are you people? if a psu fails it can destroy your system or if its extremely cheap stars a fire

If you have that much money then get a Seasonic titanium PSU

>destroy system
>fire

Prove it.

Obviously you don't want to get some no-name chink brand PSU that claims to output 1535W but don't pretend like you need to get a 80+ Platinum/Titanium PSU for everything because of some incredibly unlikely event. Converting electricity is not a difficult thing to do. You don't worry about an electrical fire when you plug in your coffee maker or dvd player or some other electronic device do you?

there is literally a 850 Watt evga gold rated G3 fully modular psu for $80.

You are all retarded

I've made the mistake of buying a cheap $30 PSU for my pc (this was back in the early 00s). They are made with substandard parts and I had TWO of these cheep PSUs die on me. One literally blew up in my face as I held the power button while sticking my head inside the case.

Moral is don't buy a shit PSU. Luckily none of my components were damaged. Also I've seen a mobo damaged by a failed PSU and all the caps were bloated to shit.

>tfw $60 CPU
>$80 GPU
>$20 PSU

The fuse in a power supply will probably prevent damage/fire 99.9% of the time.

Bloated caps are old news, and generally have nothing to do with the power supply. (they're just shitty caps)

Fire is highly unlikely unless you import some dirt cheap unbranded shit from China, but it's not that unusual for a bad PSU to fry a motheboard.

I was buying ricer gold this and that PSUs and they die too. Just buy a decent middle-ground.

In this case, it was because the PSU crapped out and sent 120 volts to the mobo.

Some of the ricer shit PSUs are unsurprisingly, ricer shit. Just read up a review of a set of branded PSUs published by someone who knows what they're doing and pick something sensible.

80+ is a decent starting point for a PSU but after that make sure the thing is actually listed by an agency like the Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Cheapshit PSUs may fake the 80+ rating but if a PSU isn't listed by UL then it's probably a fire hazard. Don't trust the markings on the PSU itself you have to search for the listing on the UL's website to make sure the marking on the product actually corresponds to what is described on the page.

>sent 120 volts to the mobo

How can you know that for sure? (again, there were huge batches of very shitty caps going around for years)

>buying anything but seasonic or rebranded superflower
ISHIGHDTY

This is what you use to search for UL listings:

database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html

Start by searching for a particular manufacturer, it will probably give you like one or two results for power supplies by that manufacturer, click the most correct one and then look for your specific model number under that link.

It can also work backwards, if you have a specific listing number (found on the UL sticker/mark) you can put it in the box and search for that number to make sure it actually exists or applies to the product.

>What is ripple
>What is a varistor
>What is charge overload
>What is wrong with blowing capacitors on wrongly labeled psus

I am an electrical engineer and know a lot about power supplies and can say that it is not out of the realm of possibility that some shit Chinese made PSU could do that. Now fuck off you god damn deconstructive marxist.

How worthless must chinese labour be for that to be cost-effective.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's more likely to be a bad batch of caps than damage caused by the ps.

The only thing I would ever over-expend in is a PSU.

Specially if you want to overclock.

Didnt switching to solid caps fixed most of the old PSU problems?

PSU tech has plateaued, unlike other tech areas such as graphical cards. Any PSU will do nowadays, a cheap chinese PSU is fine for 99% of PCs.

As long they are 300w or less for a simple desktop PC.
Not for 500w or more.

>Buy Corsair PSU for like $40
>CW600M or some shit
>Survived [email protected](200 niggawatts)
>HD7950 OC to 1200
>Upgraded to [email protected] and GTX 970 OC to 1531mhz two years ago
>PSU never gave me problems

But I do take proper care of all my shit, cleaning and dusting off every month or so.

Maybe you people don't take good care of your PSU I can see how people can easily neglect them compared to other components since getting to them it's a lot harder than say the CPU heatsink etc.

>wahhh why is user doing this and that and that

god OP you wanna whine a little more like a girl? Are your just projecting because you got a 60 dollar PSU from your dad or mom or something?

this thread is about people like you.

This is my PSU.
4yrs old.
35$.

people like me? =)

>But I do take proper care of all my shit, cleaning and dusting off every month or so

same here
coolermaster RS-600
$49 spacebux - 5 years going stronk
never gave me a lick of problems
bout time to get a new one though, my paranoia told me so

Even good PSU's aren't expensive, I don't understand the point of this thread.

>why the hell do people do this?
99% of this Earth are tech illiterates.
WHO KNEW?

good 500-850w PSUs arent that expensive

its almost always 14 year old making their first gayming build and buying a shitter PSU

>buys an $800 GPU
>buys a $400 CPU
>overclocks both
>buys a $200 PSU
>hooks it all up to a $80 ASRock board
why the hell do people do this?

that just sounds like wise money spending
insurance covers fires

does this satisfy you requirements

how much does a psu like that cost?

this is what best buy geniouses want you to think

No this is Sup Forums. Only consumer gaymen shit allowed.

>Achtung!

Literally shaking right now.

lmao

no bully pls

DAS ÖFFNEN IS LEVENSGEFÄHRLICH

OP would you like to put forward any evidence that a $60 PSU of the required wattage is likely to impede the performance of the system?

Gib saus

>sent 120 volts

Aren't you Sup Forumseople supposed to know how this shit works?

t./sci/

yeah because a $60 psu probably emits nigger pixies when you really need white masterrace pixies with IQ > 140 to adequately run your chinkshit CPU designed by Intel in Gerfornia

you fuckin what mate?

avespeak.com/index.php?title=Pixie

that wasn't my point of confusion.

Because they never been burnt by sup-par PSU.

kek

It doesnt impede performance in any way (unless it cant properly distribute power to the rails), but is pretty much 99% guaranted to fry itself and the components attached to it during a power surge, or most of the times, for no reason at all. If theres a lesson to take away from building computers: don't fucking cheap out on your psu.

>tfw no feel image

> be me
> be living in 1st world country
> be having breaker box installed by licensed electrician

The problem is, they do.

never had the pleasure

have you?

you're disqualified if

1) you picked it up off the side of the road
2) you got it from a friend
3) you fucked with it before it blew up

>80+ Gold
No.

I have a Seasonic PRIME 750 W Titanium PSU. (pic related).

Seasonic is god tier. Really cheap PSUs will give you problems, but probably not so much like they would back in the early 2000s. I saw PSUs that I wouldn't trust plugging in since they were such cheap chinese garbage. That being said, a good PSU is worth it in the long run.

I mean it depends on your definition of cheap. A $10 diablotek PSU on anything that isn't bottom tier pentium that uses 120w at load for the whole system? Yeah, it's going to fuck shit up because of crappy voltage regulation and other things if not fail in a glorious shower of sparks. A $30 CM or similar OEM PSU? Eh, you can do much better but it's not going to hurt anything unless you get a bad one. (probably)

That PSU is actually extremely good. Nice find.
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=348

you don't quite understand how english works.

wot?

Modular/semi-modular and at least 80+ Bronze is a requirement for any PSU I buy or recommend, and I always read reviews first. There are plenty of PSUs out there that make claims on the box but fall way short in the real world.

> buy $1400 ham radio
> buy $20 13.8v switching power supply
> works great
> hashing is nowhere near the ham bands
> mfw it was $20

I use a 10$ no name PSU. I also repaired my last PSU when a cap blew. People don't pay much for PSU because they aren't that important. deal with it.

>pretty much 99% guaranted

that's the place where you're supposed to provide your evidence, not just your asshole Sup Forums opinion.

also, a $60 psu and a $120 psu will react the same way during a power surge.

Huhuhuhuhuhuuuuhoooo

I had a corsair CX 600 fuck up my am3+ mobo.

?

Is this good enough you faggot?

This would be true 20 years ago, when shit was less regulated.

Never heard of anything like that.
I don't recommend cheap PSUs, because they fail pretty fast. But they don't burn or destroy your system, unless maybe you're literally buying some chink shit straight from China.

>google diablotek psu
>first suggestion is diablotek psu fire

Ignore , he's illiterate.

Used to have a seasonic 750x and I think it was the cause of my 3 dead gpus and mobo mishaps.
Bought a evga 850w some shit for about 100 or so and I've been good ever since. I'm sticking by EVGA for everything. They have excellent build quality and above all else the best warranty out there. You can take apart your gpu and still be able to rma it as long as you put it back together. I started out with SLI setups and watercooled my gpus so evga is just perfect for me.
I stopped doing SLI since then due to lack of support but I'm still glad I have the evga PSU.

I've noticed most of builds posted there included 80+ certified psus, and my cheap fsp psu (really like this brand, never went bad on me) is 78%, and bronze is up to 85 efficient. Is those 7% at best even noticeable in bills really? It'd take a pair of years to pay off, I think.

I like you

Seasonic 520W Fanless here with a 980 GTX and 4770K.
It's bretty good.

thanks, I like you too

What is this user?

Haven't most of power supplies with "fake" ratings gotten removed from the market by now?

>$60 psu

I'm actually using a 10€ psu (no joke).

Does fine with a gpu that doesn't need pci-e cables and a 4pin cpu mobo.

>muh $10000000000000 psu

These are the same people that put i5s with gtx1060 for a movie watching htpc.

>¿¿¿…$30=60???

but what you describe is a fail induced by the shitty psu as in caps are a vital part of it
the manufacturere (as in countless lcd displays too) chose to get the shitty caps from the chineese with stolen electrolyte recipes for the sake of shekles