Legacy Software & Hardware

I can't possibly be the only one who still has perfectly capable and newish 32-bit hardware laying around. Of course some things are used for retro computing but a lot of my newer 32-bit hardware like a first gen Ras Pi and a 2006 ThinkPad with a 1.8GHz Core2 aren't really being used. There's less and less software support for them even though they still function as well as the day I bought them. What are some cool things that I can do with this old hardware other than throwing it away? Is there any Windows, Linux, OS/2, BeOS, etc software that only runs well on 32-bit? I already have a media center, a home server (two of them actually), and a desk clock. I'm open to almost anything.

>inb4 stick them in pooper
>inb4 frogposting

Other urls found in this thread:

sync-video.com/r/c0mpu73rchr0n1clez
twitter.com/AnonBabble

make it a tor exit node

Lolno. I don't wanna get v&

Use the 1st gen pi as a pi-hole box, or plug in a DVB-T stick and use it as a server for SDR, works OK if you run it into your router via ethernet cable. Put Kali Linux on the Thinkpad. Or set up the world's slowest bitcoin miner.

>Use the 1st gen pi as a pi-hole box
I'll actually consider this. I might just toss OpenBSD on it and make a second email server for reasons.

>Put Kali Linux on the Thinkpad.
Fedora Security Labs is better and isn't named after a Pajeet god.

>Or set up the world's slowest bitcoin miner.
It's cheaper to and easier to buy Asscoin and just sit on it. I do it now and I've made a few thousand dolans since late last year. I don't even know how to mine the stuff or what software to use and it sounds like a pain.

>recommending Fedora
>worrying about naming it aferter a pajeet god

I hate to say this but it's pretty pointless and unless you're into retro things as a hobby it's just a waste of time and electricity.

32-bit hardware isn't bad because it's 32-bit, your 2006 Thinkpad will be slow running almost everything because a 1.8 GHz Core2 is really slow compared to modern CPUs. That being said.. many (most?) GNU/Linux distributions come with 32-bit versions and this will work and you can do things. I use a Athlon XP as a night-stand (old solid metal case) and I tested it a few months ago just for fun and Fedora did install just fine on it and it was able to browse the Internets. It just wasn't exactly a sweet experience. Old hardware also sucks power like crazy so over time it's rather expensive.

a while back I tried to put one of my similarly aged x60s to work as a dedicated remote access system using OpenBSD but it didn't like it all that much
you could always just sperg out and libreboot it, have a novelty 95% free system to dick wave and use for general *nix shit
>Old hardware also sucks power like crazy so over time it's rather expensive.
that's not really true at all though, his old thinkpad isn't going to use much more power than a contemporary counterpart, it's just not going to deliver as much for what little it uses, same thing with the RPi, there's nothing "expensive" about one of those things no matter how old it gets
the overall message isn't totally wrong though, unless you like to dedicate bare metal to a specific task or you're naturally inclined to fuck with it, it's probably more worth it to sell it or donate it to someone who will do that

>retro computing
you mean jerking off

>are there any 32 bit etc linux distros
Yes? A million of them? Stop trying to unconvince yourself to end up in circlejerk retro threads frog shitter.

>It's okay if I disregard it pre-emptively as long as I say it first that "frogshields" me

multiple sites say C2D line is 65W while i3 line is 50W. can we go over these numbers? P4 is 85W before we go there.

I have an Amiga 1200 NiB.

>Old hardware also sucks power like crazy so over time it's rather expensive.
Not really, even my PowerMac G5 running 24/7 only added around $10/mo to the power bill.

A laptop C2D can draw even less, my E8335 is only 45W

Oh wow dude, a mobile chipset uses less power? I didn't know that

sites say
i3 15W
mobile P4 70W

Curious where this "old hardware uses less power" shit comes from.

What can a RDI Powerlite running SunOS on SPARC be used for in this day and age? Have one in a cupboard somewhere.

You've got a SPARC laptop? That's neat as fuck. I'd use as a terminal

It's really old so it probably uses 1W. Because it's so old.

Yeah, but a RPi model 1 would probably outperform it nowadays, been a few years since I last booted it up. It has a nice rollerball instead of a trackpad though, so there's that.

>Curious where this "old hardware uses less power" shit comes from.

Where does the "old hardware uses more power" come from?

The CPU's got a TDP of around 4-9W

Not like performance is really necessary for a terminal, even an original rPi would be extreme overkill

>RDI Powerlite running SunOS on SPARC
Post pics of this, please.

>it's just a waste of electricity
Not necessarily true, unless you're talking about the Pentium 4 and Pentium D. A lot of old PCs before the early-2000's consumed no more than 100W (compared to 200W+ on modern PCs).

>a 2006 ThinkPad with a 1.8GHz Core2

Core 2 Duo processors were 64-bit capable, son.

Also: 32-bit software runs just fucking fine on modern x64 64-bit capable CPUs.

>fucking stupid people will be the death of us all

Instead of comparing wattage try comparing performance/watt

>top of the line Pentium MMX: 18 W
>top of the line i9: 165 W

>1997 ASCI Red: 185 kW
>2017 Sunway TaihuLight: 15 000 kW

>Nokia 3310 battery life: weeks
>Any 2017 high-end phone: 1 day

I'm streaming old Computer Chronicles episodes if you're interested:

sync-video.com/r/c0mpu73rchr0n1clez

First Up:
RAM Resident Programs (1986)

Give it to a kid and let them screw around with it.

>RasPi
Doesn't matter if it's 32 bit. Many ARM chips are and they should still be perfectly supported.

>Core2
Core2 was 64 bit across the board.

Here you are, user. Not sure where the power supply is for it, but i'll have a look and post if this thread is still here.