/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/patents/US4586192
google.com/patents/US7343020
google.com/patents/US6643379
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=8183
asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.1915608
google.com/patents/US5778087
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HD600 master race.

I see you fags discussing snake oil shit while I'm having a blast listening at music at my phone with a $20 headphone (philips shl3060) with great bass and detail.

Nobody's judging you, you're smart enough to not fall for the audiophile memes.
Ear dildos of tranquility

I'm judging him. He's a pleb.

Hey ath-ad700 dt1990 faggot here. What about IEMs or closed backs? I guess I would like to replace my apple buds and ad700 in one swoop and just use that every where. How much sound quality am I sacrificing doing that?
I was thinking maybe a Rose Mini6, it's $350.

Etymotic ER-4SR

ER4XR if you want neutral with some added sub-bass. I'd recommend this going by your previous posts about how you want to feel the bass.

My friend actually has that exact iem and i thought it sounded really good but too "small"(?) like i was listening to a concert over a telephone instead of being there. The bass was really different from the other headphones I've heard though, I liked it. it almost sounded faster?
i dont think it would be a good choice really i'll get bored of it

Beats

fill out the form then retard, don't expect us to spoonfeed you a recommendation without giving us details

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

HD650.

hey guys remember when every rec was the ath-m50? or when every rec was the fidelio x2? and now they're both considered unacceptably bad?

do not ever come here for serious purchasing help. its a fun place to joke around and maybe have a serious discussion here and then but everyone is far more interested in validating their own past poor decisions than helping others make good ones.

>hey guys remember when every rec was the ath-m50?
I do. HD600 was also very commonly recommended then.
>or when every rec was the fidelio x2?
I remember this too. HD600 was also very commonly recommended then.
Really makes you think.

Got my EMUs in yesterday, they're pretty great!

oh god you're one of those people
here "it's less than okay, it may be the most boring thing ever made. Only people with no taste or ability to think for themselves buy it. It's the ath m50 circia 2011, it's the pok3r, it's the iphone, it's the reddit of the headphone world.
he400i at $250 invalidates it anyway"
try a headphone that doesn't sound like a monotone math lecture then come back

>accurate response is boring

brb

gonna randomize the RGB values on my monitor

gonna add acceleration to my mouse

the headphone is so laid back that you may as well just play music on your tv in the background

Here's a better pic that's not autist rotated

"Boring" is a common term plebeians use to describe euphonic, mellifluous, pellucid audio.

...some people want 'laid-back' because they don't like fatigue?

Need nothing more then my alltime reliable MDR-7506

Currently using AKG K550 mk. II as my main headphones. I love them, but I want to step things up a notch. I do not have an amp/dac and never have, my headphones are plugged right into my pc. Do I need both an amp and dac or will just one suffice?

Is the schit stack a meme? I remember reading about that and it would sit right into my budget of 150-200 dollars. I'm not sure I need both though, I'm new to this.

I will say this, loudness and clarity is not an issue with my headphones. They have good isolation and I live in a very quiet area. I very often have my sound output on my pc set as low as it will go or a bit higher, between 2% and 6%. Does this rule out needing an amp?

boring people yeah

>accurate
Accurate to what? Obviously not the studio.

You do not require an amp and DAC if you have adequate volume and noise/hiss-free audio.

I just got my DT880 600ohm in yesterday and I fucking love them. They sound so incredible I can't get them off my head. I've been listening to music non-stop since I got them.
I had planned to buy a tube amp with them but I just found out that the ones I was looking at aren't "real" tube amps. So I need an "OTL" tube amp. Which OTL tube amp should I buy in the US?
My DAC is the "BEHRINGER U-CONTROL UCA202 "

>buy he-400i
>apply EQ
>now measures like the hd600 but with actual bass and treble
>Near zero distortion
>wider soundstage than the hd600
>better imaging
>Comfy as fuck non snappable floating headband

Why even bother with plastic memecans?

Glad you are enjoying your new headphones, user.
Can't help with tube amps though, sorry.

People clearly like the hd600. Why does sennheiser refuse to make it look decent? Just throw it on a hd598 style headband and gg

are those the ebony?
how are they for gaming?

There's a constant ringing in ears and now I want to kill myself.

>at pearly gates of heaven
>tell me, son, what did you accomplish with your life
>"I bragged about owning Chinkshit on an Indonesian pictograph website"

>Near zero distortion
hmmm

Dark voice 336se
Little dot mkIII

If youre handy with a soldering iron, bottlehead crack (go for the speedball upgrade). The crack is practically made for the 600ohm dt880. Perfect pairing.

Also, there are real tube amps that are not output transformerless, it's just that OTL amps offer a lot of advantages sound wise and specifically for driving headphones.

has any of you guys tried the Teac CT-H02?
>pic related

>that treble response

>Budget
$150
>Location
Australia
>Source
Phone/Fiio A1
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
As comfortable as possible
>Sound signature
Neutral or slightly warm

Need some good IEM's for daily commute, will be using these mostly on the bus/train. What do you recommend?

Etymotic master race here.

Love watching sennbabbys and hifimanbabbys fight.

Kz zs5 or zs6.

I dig my er4xr but they're only good for mobile use. Like all iems, the soundstage is narrow. At least the separation is decent on them.

Holy shit they're so fucking expensive. I'll go with the darkvoice because it's the cheapest.

>soundstage
>real

Get lost, kiddo.

Forgot to mention, i have previously used VE Monks and Piston 3's. I found the Monks very uncomfortable and wasn't happy with the sound of the pistons

>I bought ER-4XR instead of ER-4SR
t.Zeeshan

Soundstage is real, it's just not a quantifiable aspect of sound similar to imaging.

It's a nice amp but make sure you get tubes for it. Russian NOS is a cheap upgrade over stock.

>Soundstage is real

>Soundstage is real
Prove it big boy.

Just ordered these for use during my commute and in the office. They were expensive. I'll let you guys know how they sound when they get here. I don't see reviews anywhere yet.

>on ear headphones

are you a masochist?

google.com/patents/US4586192
google.com/patents/US7343020
google.com/patents/US6643379

Here's 3 separate patents detailing devices that widen soundstage in stereophonic playback or make it possible in difficult environments (cars).

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=8183
Study on microphone placement and its effect on soundstage.

asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.1915608
A detailed study on soundstage before it was even called soundstage.

google.com/patents/US5778087
A dunlavy patent detailing loudspeaker design/placement optimal for soundstage.

Had a pair of bose on ear headphones last decade and they were comfortable. I just absolutely adore the design of the avnetho. cant wait

Prove that headphone soundstage exists.

>can hear .5dB changes in most of the spectrum
>still can't hear soundstage

Guess I'm deaf lads. I'm 22.

It does. Soundstage is an aspect of our hearing on both stereophonic and mono playback (as shown by the 1933 study). Headphones put that stage in your head, while speakers direct it in front of you.

>It does.
Prove it.

that's not proof

I've listened to dozen of headphones. They all sound like they come from the side. This includes headphones with so-called great soundstages like AD700, K701, HD800, etc.

Maybe I'm just fucking deaf.

>They all sound like they come from the side.
This might shock you but that's because THE SOUND ACTUALLY LITERALLY COMES FROM THE SIDE WOW HOW ABOUT THAT SHIT

They are Ebony!

Haven't tried them that much for gaming, but they are closed but the soundstage is excellent so far, but I might be biased and buying into the hype a bit, not sure yet

so can either of you hear the localization of certain instruments/voices/sounds in your music? If you can do that, then soundstage inherently exists because it's the distance in and around your ears those sounds are placed in.

Stereo imaging and soundstage go hand in hand. We've observed this phenomenon of sound localization and the space it takes place in since 1933 with mono playback, and it was improved by stereophonic playback.

We know that mass exists because we can measure it.
Give us a measurement of headphone soundstage and I'll accept that as proof it exists.

then soundstage exists on the music regarding headphones, the headphone themselves doesn't really have soundstage since it's one driver per side

All headphones are going to have a soundstage from left to right. Some headphones have a wider soundstage and more space between sounds. This is what soundstage is for headphones.

For speakers, it can also apply to height and depth.

audio playback is a reproduction of recorded music, and some playback equipment can produce a wider soundstage than others (in the case of headphones).

For speakers, speakers can produce not only a wider soundstage but also greater height and depth depending on their positioning, room acoustics, and transducer design.

Other way around.

>visible cord from the headband to the earcups

>he still hasn't proven headphone soundstage exists

We currently understand that lack of phase shift is something that correlates with good imaging and wider soundstage. Open back headphones typically make it wider than closed back headphones can. Head related transfer function also plays a role, moreso in loudspeakers.

Interaural time difference is something the human auditory processing system is very sensitive to and contributes to soundstage as well en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference

We have knowledge and measurements to how our hearing works and why we perceive soundstage/what causes it, but on an engineering level it's hard to quantify.

>The interaural time difference (or ITD) when concerning humans or animals, is the difference in arrival time of a sound between two ears. It is important in the localization of sounds, as it provides a cue to the direction or angle of the sound source from the head. If a signal arrives at the head from one side, the signal has further to travel to reach the far ear than the near ear. This pathlength difference results in a time difference between the sound's arrivals at the ears, which is detected and aids the process of identifying the direction of sound source.

When a signal is produced in the horizontal plane, its angle in relation to the head is referred to as its azimuth, with 0 degrees (0°) azimuth being directly in front of the listener, 90° to the right, and 180° being directly behind.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference

Happy now?

tl;dr: "I made a statement of fact which I could not prove because I suck dicks."
Sasuga, autistic tripfag. Stick to speakers and shitposting.

>"it's less than okay, it may be the most boring thing ever made. Only people with no taste or ability to think for themselves buy it. It's the ath m50 circia 2011, it's the pok3r, it's the iphone, it's the reddit of the headphone world.
>he400i at $250 invalidates it anyway"

"the difference in arrival time of a sound between two ears" is clearly not relevant to headphones.
Proof status: unproven

>buys hifiman

>two left cups

well gosh darn

Closest headphone that has the FR and build quality of the Focal Elear and the soundstage of the HD800 with a planar driver?

:^] I guess you're just too fucking retarded to perceive localization of sound from hifi equipment. Whatever, I provided proof. I states the truth. You're just an asshat who doesn't want to accept that a very basic psychoacoustic phenomenon exists because you can't shitpost graphs about it (even though you totally could with phase).

>get mine
>left and right cup
>user who did get that gets a replacement and it functions just fine.

well gosh da- *snap*

>he wants recessed sounding bass over balanced sounding bass

is the driver quite literally surgically implanted on the surface of your eardrum? fucking no. Even iems have a small space from point a (transducer) to point b (eardrum) so it produces soundstage.

>tfw low-effort bait forces shitposting tripfags to expend inordinate amounts of effort for others' amusement
We call them Chifiman for a reason.
>2017
>buying Chinkshit headphones

>well gosh da-*modular design*

fixed

>Slight elevation of sub-bass with no mid-bass bloat is bad

>ha, I can replace the headband on my headphones for like only $100
>stupid faggots buying other headphones instead of sennhei- *snaps*
>buys another headband

idk what head phones to get.

>people actually arguing over whether soundstage and imaging exists
>people claiming to not be able to hear it

why are you even here? just EQ gas station earbuds to neutral get on with your lives.

HD600, obviously.

If you want the full black version, get the Tascam TH02. Tight clamp with meh pads but don't pad swap it. It ruins the sound. The bass extention's surprisingly really good and neutral. Tyll has a measurent of them.

>ha, I was only pretending to be retarded!

this is why /hpg/ is a shithole.

Stax SR-009

Just look the at the music you listen to and that'll give you the answer. Get a fulla 2 and shit around in mid-fi to figure out what you like, then save up for an endgame headphone + an amp and a good portable

I'm a audiophile.

Nice. I just got my E-mu ebony in the mail the other day. I like them.

Going to sell a car to buy these.

Studio Monitors?

Who wants it?

Swans M200MKIII are on massdrop right now, get those

JBL lsr305 is the best entry level option and better than most expensive shit even.

As far as higher priced options, Genelec and Neumann are hard to beat accuracy-wise. Genelec uses some crazy dsp technology right now that's way ahead of its time.

Only thing above those two is kii audio.