/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>View this handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

If you want help:
>State the budget and currency for your build
>List purposes of build, e.g. gaming, video editing, or virtual machines
>For monitors, include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, size, and gfx card pairing

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount
>New i3s will be old i5 equivalents (4c/4t); new i5s and i7s will have +50% cores/threads
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>If you use Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Prevous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tvvXD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/HsWFvV
youtube.com/watch?v=Ucjn6HCd2zI
msi.com/Motherboard/B350-TOMAHAWK-PLUS
asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B350M-PLUS-GAMING/
asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350M-E/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Should I wait for navi?
Please no goyvidia memers

im going to try making a graph of temperatures and clockspeeds depending on voltage
how could i do that without counting pixels in paint

wait for proper vega drivers, if they don't show up, wait for navi

use excel

I think I should really change my rig.
In my opinion, the Graphics Card and motherboard are in need of a change, I should also add up more RAM. Or should I change the processor too?

first you do a full backup of those two drives if you haven't already

Before anything, consider upgrading from 1680x1050 16:10 monitors.

He's right the WD is kill. How is it even getting that hot?

problem is i cant go under 3000mhz with ryzen master and changing freq in bios doesnt do shit
got to 3ghz 0.9125v @40c under load

Which RX 560/550 is the best?

Upgrade: my processor is in the K versiin, speccy doesnt show it
But Iike 16:10
Its an used hd that was wiped multiple times bcuz the hackintosh had some problems

backup the seagate one then, I had that exact model/size and it killed itself way too fast

which is more important for gaming cpu or gpu

both, but gpu is a bit more when 60hz gaming

depends on resolution
if you already have a system and are considering upgrading, open task manager for cpu usage and afterburner for gpuusage
the one at 100% is most likely the bottleneck

also source games are cpu heavy and fxaa is good enough(even at 1024x1280)

buy sapphire vega when it gets released.

will cheaper memory limit the 1070ti from achieving 1080 performance under load?

It's obviously not going to perform as well as a 1080. Nvidia are the most careful company around when it comes to segmenting their products and making sure you don't get something for nothing.

yeah, as said
nvidia just wants to send out a vega 56 killer as fast as possible

>it happened to me so it's a common thing!
retard

are there freesync/gsync monitors that aren't high refresh?

seagate failure rates in certain models are (were) going through the roof, specially that model
retard

wrong model
nigger

Going to start buying stuff for my build now, starting with the monitor.
I've been considering the viewsonic XG2401. Is it any good for an 144hz monitor or should I look into something else?

how the fuck are ram prices so expensive...

>expensive prices
nice english, fag

There is nothing funny about pricey expenses.

If I make a ryzen build now, will the motherboard still work for ryzen 2 next year?

>shitgate apologist

yeah, amd aren't kikes like intel and they support sockets for like 5+ years

Yes.

maybe but it may be missing new features that come out so it might not even matter

I had plans to build new pc based on Ryzen in december, but is it worth to wait to february for Ryzen+?

its ALWAYS worth it to wait

what is Ryzen+? Ryzen with iGPU?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tvvXD8
r8

should i buy windows 10 from the windows store? will it provide me a product key or will i have to use my microsoft account to use 10?

Hey, what can I do to cut corners to make the cost go down. This is going to be a server essentially, and a portable gaming computer if I go away for the weekend.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HsWFvV

R5 1600 + 1080ti or 8700K + 1080? Mostly for gaming and productivity.

Ryzen with better clocks, and also there will be models with igpu

install gentoo

1600 + 1080ti will get you more fps

all hdds fail and opinion by a retard saying "hurr durr it failed after 2 days i'm never buying x again" should be discarded.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/tvvXD8
ryzen + ti

At 1080p 144hz?

ignore that link

answer

>the absolute shills here

some information on b350 VRM cooling:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ucjn6HCd2zI

tl:dw vrm coolings on all b350 boards suck dick without a proper airflow. if you're building a workstation and planning to use an 8 core on high clocks you want to get x370 instead.

Nothing.

he's right though. you should prioritize gpu, because next tier will ALWAYS give you more fps than a better cpu.

t. shitgate apologist

At 1080p you will just be bottlenecking yourself with ryzen. also ryzen cant always keep up with a 1080 ti in most games so his upgrade path for graphics cards is non existant. Only if the op had a need for productivity then the 1600 would be somethimg to buy. And you could save money and buy a 1070 or 1080.

r5 -> b350
r7 -> x370

i feel like everyone already knew this

b350 is fine for 4/6 core overclocking, anything else needs to go up to x370

stock runs ice cold regardless

Ive been telling this to everyone but you autists never listen and decide to cheap out on the mobo

>pls buy coffin lake and don't forget to change the motherboard every year

Wew, I got R7 with a B350 because you guys recommended me to avoid X370 unless I reallyy need the PCI-E lanes or double M.2 slots.

Most people are going for the R5s anyway.

are you overclocking above 3.8?

Not yet, I'm still sitting on the Wraith Spire. I actually tried going up to 3.8, I think, it was stable and I could run benchmarks but once I started torture testing I saw core temp jump up to 85+ degrees after 20 minutes or so, not very good, so I just decided to skip OCing until I get a proper CPU fan.

I have an R5 case with two fans, and I can install a couple of more fans in it if that helps.

people need to learn you don't trust ANY storage unless its been running for 6 months after that it should statistically last 5 years
after 5 years treat the storage as tertiary nice to have but don't rely on

yes or no?

You don't need to because it won't last you one year...

>his upgrade path for graphics cards is non existant
but you CAN upgrade an amd cpu
grafics cards keep their utility/value longer than cpus

>3tb
Why?

AMD cpus are not fast enough to keep up with the ever growing high end graphics cards. Upgrading a 1600 to a 1700 will not even give you a fps improvement. The next generation of AMD cpus will not offer an increase in fps enough to warrant dropping another $200. As well as there is no guarantee that your current mobo will be supported even though AMD plans to.

>1.4V on CPU socket
Isn't that excessive?

My backlog is big.

my nigga

Let's see Zen+ and Zen 2 then. What if your thoughs aren't true?

Budget? Purpose?

>The next generation of AMD cpus will not offer an increase in fps enough to warrant dropping another $200
>there is no guarantee that your current mobo will be supported
Stop confusing AMD with Intel.

>AMD cpus are not fast enough to keep up with the ever growing high end graphics cards
we literally do not know that. ryzen is their first new generation.
>there is no guarantee that your current mobo will be supported even though AMD plans to.
amd confirmed it multiple times. they are not in position to lie about things like this

>budget
~700-750

>purpose
CS:GO and anime.

What are the chances of a perfectly working cpu just stops working? I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard because my PC just stopped working. Since I'm not upgrading which one would be better : h81 or a b85? I know they are matx I just don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

So uh, will I be able to OC my R7 with a B350 MSI Tomahawk motherboard if I'll get a huge air cooler to blow cold air all over my CPU and hopefully the surrounding VRAMs?

don't pump 1.4v through it and you'll be good

Doesn't AMD not recommend anything higher than 1.35, anyway?

And damn, I feel like you guys coaxed me into a meme with the Ryzen but the current Intel CPUs with their temperature problems aren't making me too enthusiastic either.

i mean, yeah

that doesn't mean you can't without serious cooling

just because ryzen is a meme doesn't mean its not good

Well 7700 starts ast 4.2 GHz and with Ryzen you'll struggle to hit 4.0 (and won't with most chips), and seems like Intel chips still have better IPC. But then you have a CPU with 4 cores which might not be enough, too. I'm not sure I've made the right choice, but it's too late so whatever.

negligible difference in fps for 7700k and ryzen excels at everything else

Okay, HDD questions.

1. I've heard that reliability-wise 1Tb > 2Tb > 4Tb since the latter has too much plates. Is that really a significant factor? Because I'm looking at Hitachi 2Tb and 4Tb offerings and 2Tb isn't all that much cheaper than 4Tb, and I could always use extra storage.

2. I'm looking at these HDDs:
>4 Tb Hitachi Deskstar NAS v2
>4 Tb Hitachi Ultrastar 7K6000
From what I understand, Deskstar is the home PC/server version, Ultrastar is the enterprise version. Will Ultrastar be more reliable? Should I just get Deskstar? The reviews say the disk gets pretty hot, is that going to be a significant factor? I can install it in front of my Define R5 intake fan, that should help? There's also a slightly more expensive Ultrastar with same characteristics called "RAID edition", is that just a RAID-optimized version that I should skip since I'm not interested in RAID?

Unless you play a single core heavy game, or emulate. Though I heard ARMA got a patch that makes it not horribad with Ryzens. It used to get what, twice less FPS?

ARMA was so shit an i3 was better than i7

You just described Intel, retard.

There's new AM4 socket motherboards coming out. Thoughts on these?

MSI B350 Tomahawk Plus:
msi.com/Motherboard/B350-TOMAHAWK-PLUS

Asus TUF B350M Gaming
asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B350M-PLUS-GAMING/

Asus Prime B350M-E
asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350M-E/

Let me know when Asus makes a Mini ITX board similar to the Z270 Strix so I can fall for the Mini ITX meme

You're set then

I'm the guy from the last thread asking about Windows 7 on Ryzen, and I have another question.

I remember reading somewhere that if I use the wufuc patch, I won't be able to use dazloader to activate it. Is this true?
Funny thing is, I still have my hardcopy of W7 that I bought years ago, but windows won't accept the code anymore.

try with slmgr ipk
then slmgr ato

or do phone activation

Where can i get a 100% custom pc case made?

So I kind of want to build a top of the line PC simply because I have never done so and now I have the disposable income to make it possible.

How viable is an mATX build with a 1080ti, given I won't watercool it? Any cases you can recommend?

I believe the key is being rejected because it has been used too many times. Will this still work?

mATX is the de facto standard today. Yeah ATX is still very popular but it's just a waste of space really. Get yourself a Fractal Define Mini and just put it all in. Use a modular PSU if you can, makes it a bit less messy.
mITX it the hot "new" meme where you actually run into trouble with cooling. It's also tiny compared to ATX and people still make build with Intel ovens and 1080tis (look up DAN A4 cases or Fractal Node) and they work.

What should I upgrade?

No keks please

Sounds good, my current build is housed in a Fractal Define R3, and while I like the case for what it's worth, it is quite big. So a Mini sounds good to me.
I've built some mITX PCs for friends when the Bitfenix Prodigy was all the rage, but they housed office-grade components where cooling wasn't an issue. While it is a nice form factor, I don't think I will go with form over function for this one.

Thank you very much.

Monitor to 144hz and another 8gb of ram. Your GPU's power is wasted on 60hz. Maybe more hard drive space.

Guys?

All you need is a better gfx card and an SSD

None

You'll spend more on the gfx card than the CPU alone

Until you actually need something new, just wait

Make sure the RAM is compatible
6GB 1060 is a better bang for buck

Get yourself a good 1440p monitor then revisit your budget

>his upgrade path for graphics cards is non existant
No, because graphics requirements are always going up while CPU requirements aren't going to change much

Drop to 1200

>AMD cpus are not fast enough to keep up with the ever growing high end graphics cards
Yes, they are. They're basically generic Intel CPUs now

Get yourself a nice 1440p monitor