Is there any reason to use this piece of shit? linux for privacy, windows for gaming, mac for??????

Is there any reason to use this piece of shit? linux for privacy, windows for gaming, mac for??????

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT202255
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Browsing Grindr

Playing Marathon on your 68k Macintosh.

>linux is for privacy
Is this what fat people believe in?

>linux for privacy, windows for gaming, mac for??????
Productivity.

Linux is a server OS though.
Windows is a general desktop OS.
macOS is for work and productivity oriented desktop OS.

Having all the advantages of a more or less compliant unix system without the hassle of Windows 10, but its advantages.

Adult professionals.

Freetards hate this.

You're going to get a lot of shit from 20 year old neo-Sup Forums for saying that.

A fucking consistent user experience.

mac is a computer for drawfags

Music production.
Literally the one field where MacOS exceeds.

For everything else it's pretty much on one level with Windows. Except for games but kids can just buy a console so who gives a fuck.

As much as I dislike apple I like this categorization. When you start Photoshop on a Mac seperate panels and pallettes all get their own window. Your machine becomes a workstation dedicated to whatever app you've just opened.

Mac for actually having a job and being an adult who don't spend their entire day jacking off to hentai and playing video games

fpbp

This

Linux for servers and embedded devices

Windows (aka Xbox OS) for video games

macOS for work and productivity

>meaningless string of buzzwords

So not for Sup Forums.

>mac for??????
Unix tools, good window manager, good commercial software support.

If you use an iPhone it also integrates nicely with that.

>so I was a pardner with this nigger with a mac
>I set up a ftp server so we could share files
>he downloaded
>he edited
>he tried uploading
>he says it didn't work
>walk him through how to do it
>doesn't work
>I go over to where he is
>drop file into server
>the window shakes
>no error message
>no nothing
>the window just shakes
>and the file doesnt upload
>so I look it up
>macOS has readonly support for ftp
did it tell me?
nope
just shaked
that's the kind of shit I cant stand
it didnt work and it didnt tell me what was wrong
how are you supposed to see what you are doing wrong without error messages?

macOS for general stuff
Windows for entertainment purposes
Linux for servers and ricing

How the fuck is it good for productivity?

This is the overall consensus.

it's good for artists and graphic designers and that's about it. it's a workstation for people who don't understand computers.

>using finder for FTP

???

>implying linux would even shake
linux literally will not work if you dont have google to look up problems. linux neckbeards probably think user feedback is bloat

It does give error messages, though.
I don't use linux for much anyways, too.

But Photoshop is on Windows too. Mac sucks. You made a mistake when you bought it. Get over it.

>ftp
Does your 1990 framework also require support for gopher?

/thread

i haven't owned an apple product since the ipod touch.

There's at least one good reason: No SystemD.

> Mac for actually having a job
Uh-huh. People are memed into macs because "it's a sign of success" and then they don't bother to intall anything else on it. It's a weak GUI-based system, it's a weak terminal-based system, but sometimes people prefer having both traits instead of OS with one trait executed good.

Here's an error message I got a while back

>computer jargon
if you know what any of that shit means, you probably wouldnt need feedback to solve the problem in the first place

I didn't know what it meant so I copy pasted it into my browser and found the fix.

People are "memed into Macs" because they offer the best parts of both Linux and Windows while being rock solid and good looking. There's no reason to use Windows over OSX unless you spend all your days playing video games. Linux still has its uses but it's more niche.

look for recent videos of people using cad, video editors, etc.

as i said, linux is unusable if you cant google things

Awesome os

I work as sys admin for the past 6 years, and I was developer before that, I came to work with my mac thinking that people will laugh at me for having one for working as sys admin. Turns out its super confy and productive. 2 years ago I got new one and I still work on it on a daily basis.

Its great, you need linux? Spin a VM, but what about some software? Its most likely there is Mac version that works perfect. You dont waste time every day configurating this and that. I am too busy doing this on the servers everyday.

why not use windows for that? there's definitely more windows software to pick and choose from

> (OP)
>>linux for privacy, windows for gaming, mac for??????
>Productivity.
>
>But Photoshop is on Windows too. Mac sucks. You made a mistake when you bought it. Get over it.
Mac is a better os
>Linux is a server OS though.
>Windows is a general desktop OS.
>macOS is for work and productivity oriented desktop OS.
Linux isn't a server os.

As opposed to me not having to google why the ftp didn't work and finding it out a day later rather than fixing it in 5 minutes on Linux??

SSHing into your Linux servers. You do all your work on macOS and you manage your servers from it.

It's a no nonsense OS. Absolutely fantastic defaults that means all you really need to do is download the programs you need and you're on your way. Linux is great and all but that's simply not the case. For instance a laptop I recently got had an issue where the touchpad wouldn't disable while typing. Solving the issue involved setting up a rule to disable it in a config file. Not difficult but that's the sort of shit I don't
think anyone wants to put up with. It's distracting.

Windows is good if you're a C# dev, and I suppose it's a cheaper alternative for marketing and HR teams. I get that there's software that ties people to Windows but I certainly wouldn't use it if I had a choice, which Photoshop users do.

I'm an IT the Navy and plan to buy a macbook pro (fullspec) to use for deployments. I also plan on learning the sysadmin side of MacOS and eventually getting the cert which the Navy should pay for. Do you have any recommended sysadmin books?

I'd rather be able to play games.

Yeah but what if I'm straight

decent reasons to use osx:
bought into apple ecosystem (ipad, ipod, apple services, etc)
care a lot about good defaults
critical software is OSX exclusive or offers best experience on OSX

personally I think Apple is a pretty consumer-poisonous corporation, but I can't begrudge people for liking their products - i'm certainly not innocent of benefiting corporations that work against my interests. microsoft isn't exactly super consumer forward.

I work with CentOS mostly, we have some ubuntu and windows servers for specific clients but thats it. As for sys admin side of MacOS I am not sure where to start even, never bothered to learn anything related. I didnt even know there is such lol. But I guess its not going to be that hard to get into. And when you have time get a some linux cert, you are going to be way more versatile.

top kek

I can't replay LA Noire on OSX

However I could on Linux via that stupid GPU passthrough thing. That's what fucks me up.

Linux - for basic PC stuff and gaming
Windows - for downloading and installing Linux
Mac - for games unavailable on Linux and """art""" software

Main reasons:
It's not Windows
It's not Linux

Nobody cares what you use

I don't smoke or drink and I use random media players, but pretty much that. I want something that does what I want at the moment I want it. I don't care it's called Apple, Thinkpad or Totinos.

> best parts of both Linux and Windows
There's no "Linux", or "GNU/Linux", userland utils are BSD and they're kind of basic. I always wonder why devs with macs try to deploy their own copy of a dev environment and then suffer, unable to set up Postgres, Docker or file permissions. "Buut muh UNIX system".
There's no Windows as well, although there is a window system, usable but that's about it.
> walled garden app installation
> no RDP/VNC/X11 client out of the box
> Office for Mac produces documents incompatible with Office for Windows
Really only good for web apps or design.

Nobody cares if you smoke or drink either, bitch

Well I don't care about your post either motherfucker (yet I respond to it)

Mac is for people that don't feel the incessant need to show off their newest desktop arrangement.

Good lad

I set up Postgres in 2 minutes or less and file permissions are your normal chmod. What are you on about user?

> and file permissions are your normal chmod
It is but not everybody is able to use it, apparently. I rant about devs who buy macs but really are better off with a usual Windows laptop since they don't know how to use it properly, some of them just waste their time doing that.

To show people you eat excrements with your hands.

kek

>no vnc client
yes there is, it’s called Screen Sharing
>office for mac
let me stop you there. iWork apps are superior to office, even office on windows.

Developing in Windows is a pain tho, good on them for implementing bash (it's still too slow...) but it's just not productive at all.

I tried using Windows -> Ubuntu -> Mac and to be fairly honest... I spent way too much time trying to set up environments in the first two.

In regards of your point:

"rant about devs who buy macs but really are better off with a usual Windows laptop since they don't know how to use it properly"

At the end of the day it is their money and their own choice. Literally, if they buy a Mac it will not affect you. And if it does, please tell me why. I would love to empathise.

>it's a workstation for people who don't understand computers.
Just this, a macfag would be productive on his PC even as a retard, but same software would be available on windows too and also run considerably better.

1) well-off parents bought into Apple ecosystem and give me all the kit when they upgrade
2) have better things to do than play games all day (when i do want to, there are plenty of decent games that run on Mac to keep me occupied)
3) Mac is UNIX-based and i prefer Linux, so the consistency is nice
4) haven't committed to Linux exclusively and keep and mainstream OS around for and compatibility issues, which is Mac

MS and Apple are riddled with problems, but Apple just about makes the cut for me.

Apple's biggest problem is that their hardware is godawful and overpriced, and lock-in (I have lost so much music to iTunes changes over the last 6 years; and i'm not even sure where my photos are anymore), their once revolutionary phones are now an expensive joke. That said, when I dropped my old iPhone 4 (a mere 1.5ft), losing a bunch of personal recordings and other data in the process, I found that none of it was synced with iCloud (couldn't be bothered) except my contacts... support told me it was gone forever, but to my surprise a month or so later, all my data returned. Not sure what to make of it, but I was happy.

Their strong points are the iPad and MacOS which is clean and performs well. Admittedly software support isn't comprehensive; but this reflects it's marketshare and for me is plenty sufficient.

On the other hand, I can't stand MS. From the single sign-on software bundle lock-ins, through the plainness and un-usability of Windows (including the constant changes to the UI), to their garbage licensing models... I do everything in my power at work to avoid MS licensing like the cancer it is; they have been particularly cunty over the last year too. I can't think of a single reason I would ever choose to use Windows other than 3rd party software support; even then, I would much rather find an alternative on a preferable OS. Outlook is fine though.

A lot of features that lead to better productivity, as well as a stable environment you can depend on.

>Versions and Auto Save
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202255

>Quick Look
Open documents without having to open an app to quickly see if it’s the correct file.

>Spotlight
An advanced search engine on your device that can also do calculations, conversions, etc.

>The tiny icon in the window’s top bar
You can easily move the document to a different location or drop it in a file picker to select the file without having to navigate to it manually.

>Changing a file’s name in Finder doesn’t cause issues with apps that have the file open

>AppleScript, Folder Actions and Smart Folders

It’s a lot of things I’m dependable on now and that I really miss when I ever work with a Windows or GNU/Linux system.

>looks nice
>no videogames so you don't waste your time
>decent terminal
>unix
>hackintosh is a thing
works for me

Linux - for hacking the wifi of the neighbor & server
Windows - for everything else
Mac - ?? for windows contrarians?

The only usable BSD distro

>stable
I used to reserve days with no work for Sierra upgrades for the inevitable breakage. As a token of generosity, I won't mention how shitty Brew was (not because of itself, but because of conflicts with XCode).

what is fruity loops

A much better user experience than Windows and you can actually get things done on it unlike Linux. Good luck with professional video/image editing or music production on Linux.

1) Bullshit. It literally took me 30 minutes to set up y FreeBSD install to ake it useable
2)
>Mac
>BSD

But I get all of my work done on Linux
>muh music and video production
Ok, but what about the huge majority of people who don't do that?

>privacy
>games
yea if all you do is download cp and play gaymes you don't need to use macos

Sure, it depends on the kind of work you're trying to get done. I personally found that macOS could do everything Linux can do in a much more convenient way, plus a lot more.

For my job I switch between Emacs, Matlab, MS Office, specialty software, and the command line all day.
I bought a Mac after nearly having an aneurysm dual booting Windows and Linux, since I had to restart my computer every couple of hours.

macOS lets people use UNIX and have a normie job.

>linux for privacy, windows for gaming
mac for baby's first computer

>Mac for actually having a job
Yeah, if that job is a minimum wage job and you want to pretend in front of other people that you're not as poor as they might think.

>Yeah, if that job is a minimum wage job
or if it's software developement, journalism, screenwriting, graphic design, ...

MACTODDLERS BTFO

for sticking thick dildo into your sore anus

>mac for??????
Homosexuality.

>mac for??????
The disabled.

wow that's a big mac

4me

this desu senpai

having a job doesn't exclude you from jacking it to hentai, tho, you can't just do it 24/7

Im using hackintoshed Mavericks and it runs great. Not doing windows because it gets too slow for a laptop and not doing linux because i fucking hate linux.