A THOUSAND TIMES

Ok, I know you've heard it a thousand times, but I don't care.

I want a Linux distro that is reliable and secure. I tried Qubes for a while but I am sick of their meme-tier bullshit. I can't do half the things I want to because of the virtualization.

I am looking at Arch Linux as the way to go. I have an engineering background so am not afraid of learning more Linux.

Is Arch Linux secure, is it reliable, can I consume multi-media happily on it? I'm going to deploy it on an i586 MSI motherboard.

Yes?

Arch breaks all the time because the devs are more concerned about bleeding-edge than actually making sure the packages work. Look into Debian if you want a reliable and secure distro.

or if you want an actually working distro with packages that aren't 50 years behind, try fedora

use manjaro.

Install Void

alpine.
Less bloat more security.

Use the new Ubuntu 17.10. They using a modified gnome now and it's super smooth.

>Gnome
>not superior Dwarf
:^)

>Arch breaks all the time
It doesn't and it's far more stable than Fedora or Ubuntu.

OP here.

My main activities are web browsing media streaming, and working in word and excel (Libre office)

I would like to hone my programming skills (C, Python, SQL).
I would also like to read all kinds of video cards (like my dashboard cam).

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>[arch is] far more stable than Fedora or Ubuntu.

Just go for Devuan netinstall

After some research online I'm thinking Antergos.

If it's gonna be an arch fork, that's probably one of the best choices.

I just hope I can watch fucking streams. I am so sick and tired of all the video problems.

Antergos is not bad desu, the AUR is still a dangerous temptation so be careful. If after trying Antergos (or Manjaro) you want a distro that just werks go for Devuan.

Manjaro

Any tips on installing arch on a laptop with a Intel 7260 wifi chip. I can take get arch to display the device.

i guess that you are not stupid so you can use arch like sane person and not as arch poser

good luck and have fun

idk desu i never had to install wifi drivers on my own (except some netgear win only shit using ndiskwrapper)

>I want a Linux distro that is reliable and secure.
>Arch Linux

You want security and reliability, so you've chosen a distro that:
>uses a non-lts kernel by default
>no supported option for a libre kernel
>offers only the unstable versions of many packages
>uses sytemd

Go for Debian or CentOS if you want a stable and secure distro. apt-get is trash, but the Debian developers are good at keeping everything stable and secure.

>Arch breaks all the time
The only issues Arch tends to encounter are fairly minor upstream bugs. I've never encountered a situation that rendered my system unusable; it was only ever individual packages.

This. Arch is the epitome of linux experience. If it wasn't for arch I would be on windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Autism/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Autism plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Autism system made useful by the Autism corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Autism system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Autism which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Autism system, developed by the Autism Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Autism operating system: the whole system is basically Autism with Linux added, or Autism/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Autism/Linux.

I've been using Arch+Gnome daily for about three months and never had any issue with it. It actually seems more reliable than *buntu. Try it out.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of going with Xfce. Does it really matter what desktop I choose?

This is funny, and so true. This is why Linux still sucks. They just do not get it.
People have lives. We have families, jobs, hobbies, and things to do. We do not want to spend three hours learning how to configure our system just to watch a fail video on Youtube.
Why can't they understand that?

go with Arch if you want bleeding edge

Debian if you care about stability

Gentoo if want to spend a week compiling to get a 5 % performance boost.

It changes how your OS feels. Xfce is a great DE, light and customizable. If you care about memory usage, it's probably the right one for you. You can always change it in case you tire of it. Have fun!

>5 % performance boost
I think you are giving gentoo too much credit.

centOS is the ONLY secure non autistic distro

Nigga that's a server os

>serveros

wow

Distro :^)

It can actually be more than that if you enable lto, pgo and so on.

>installed Manjaro last year
>3 months in I pacman -Syu
>all my software closes immediately after opening

Never again