Thoughts on white people using dark-skinned emoji

>When she picked up the phone, I stumbled over my words for a bit before finally asking, “So……why do you use that color emoji?” Just so we’re on the same page, this was the exact emoji in question:
>Her response was two-fold. For one, she pointed to the fact that she’s tan. It’s true, she’s not as white as the white emoji. But her main reason was around the “weirdness” of using the white emoji. From what I could gather, she was hesitant to use the white emoji because it could come across as oppressive — as if she was shoving her whiteness at me. I heard her out, and understood her perspective.
>In response, though, I said it felt uncomfortable to me because it seemed as if she was trying to claim something that wasn’t hers to claim. She heard where I was coming from but it’s unclear where she landed. We’ve still been texting regularly but she hasn’t sent any emoji to me in a while.
>Still feeling confused and unsettled about my friend’s emoji use, I figured there were only a couple of things to do: Googling the hell out of it came first. Upon my Googling, I came across an incident involving Kendall Jenner. In August, some people on social media called her out for using a fist bump emoji in a skin tone that was darker than her own. Some people accused her of cultural appropriation. I also came across some articles on the topic, but I still didn’t feel like I had a solid understanding of who was right and who was wrong.
>The logical step, in my mind, was to get my co-workers and people on Twitter to chime in. I simply asked them if it’s ok for white people to use emoji with darker skin-tones. According to my Twitter poll, the answer is no. Of the 239 people who voted, 54 percent said it’s not, 33 percent said yes and 13 percent said “only if they’re tan.”

techcrunch.com/2017/10/01/thoughts-on-white-people-using-dark-skinned-emoji/amp/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq6fTYxztc
archive.is/cXnrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This has nothing to do with technology.

That's stupid as hell.

Instead of ignoring this development I wonder if it's about time to start actively fighting it.

no one gives a shit

which row is for pajeets?

Also, this article was posted less than 10 minutes ago. Please die.

I wasnt even aware non-yellow emojis existed.

I can't understand why any white person would want to use "dark skinned" emojis. Makes me want to wash my hands.

Not sure how people still dont understand hitler literally did nothing wrong. This is what he was trying to protect us from.

Emojis do not exist outside of tech

there are black people owning other black people as slaves in Africa right now
there is aids epidemic decimating your people in Africa right now
there is black on black gun violence in the us right now

and the thing you're angry and want to do something about is when someone from a race you hate is using the wrong emoji color?
talk about loosing perspective

>phone supports nigger emoji

>murica education

Is this what happens when western women are really, really bored?

Drama exclusive to the US. Why should we care?

>according to a twitter poll this isn't ok

Well that's it boys, if a couple hundred twitter users have weighed in then the issue is settled.

i use skin tone 2 which is my skin tone
emojis never had the modifiers anyway

I'm black and I use the yellow emojis. Just go ahead and try to stop me, ching chongs :)))

What if you use nigger emojis in an appropriate context?

finally weighing in on the real issues

/thread
this is the only acceptable use of skintone modifiers

Banning me from using certain Unicode glyphs because of my skin color is racist and a restriction of my freedom

Unicode was a mistake.

We need to be looking at the real issue, White people sharing Black GIFs.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq6fTYxztc

Did you even consider the thoughts of green skinned people before posting this shitty emoji, white devil? Do you think they are okay with being culturally appropriated like this? Try to think about others' feelings for once, you god damned racist cunt.

Mother of christ what in the name of god.
If there were no black people gifs or emojis they'd be complaining about that too.
What do these people even want, how can you be so disconected from reality. Holy shit.

Americans are great at finding the most fucking irrelevant shit to be mad about. That's basically all they're good at.

>read a top comment a month ago saying "inb4 they take down the comments"
>they actually did it

What the fuck else are they gonna do with their Uni degrees?

I think people should stop using emojis.

Emojis are bloat. Pictures don't belong in fonts. Fuck normalfags for ruining unicode.

>BBC
>Dislike ratio
>Comments closed
and some people say that there isn't a forced agenda lmao

Fuck off techcrunch nigger.

They can't be seen on dark themes.

Archive that shit: archive.is/cXnrg
This isn't due to boredom – this sort of thing is what the majority of them feel is important.

>trust fund college mullatos getting offended on behalf of actual poor black people who couldn't give less of a fuck
Unironically, the response by Sheboona is more racist than the emoji non-issue.

Also
>I posted a twitter poll, therefore I'm correct
The people who would vote on your poll likely share a similar ideology of self victimization, because they're your friends and followers. So the poll is heavily self selected towards one particularly toxic ideology that would vote yes to ANYTHING being racist.

>emoji
Stopped reading right here.

Holy shit some people have too much time on their hands.

Doesn't than mean that using the default yellow emoji should be reserved to asian people?

no, it's only to be used by people who live in The Simpsons' universe.

>Americans
did you even watch the fucking video

At this point I think we all know that "yellow" people are not actually yellow.

What if I use gifs with aliens or cats? Also why emoji aren't just green or something?