Do you like tinkering, configuring and customizing your linux installation, or do you want something that JUST WERX?

Do you like tinkering, configuring and customizing your linux installation, or do you want something that JUST WERX?

Tinkering, but not to the level that some autists do it.
For me it's Tiling WM, lots of minimal terminal apps, and some special configs, but not gentoo. I'm fine with tinkering on Debian testing

fear of installing linux
I should try but i only have 200gb left

I usually just tinker to the extent I need to to make what I want to happen happen.

t. Debian stable

Not that easy to find, using KDE.

Just werk. Fedora KDE with minimal changes

it does just work once you get it the way you like it

t. Debian sid/experimental/with a little bit of xenial

install on a VM, you'll probably blow up your installation a couple times if you actually bother to tinker hard enough, anyways.

Yup, VM. If you've never dual booted, don't try it without some experience. You could royally fuck your windows install. Get a cheap 120GB SSD and install linux to that if you want to.

>partitioning is hard
>reading a wiki is hard

Primarily I want something that JUST WERX, but I like having the ability to tinker and customize be there as an option.

don't come at me with that bullshit. For noobs it can be confusing as fuck. I've seen people lose everything too many times. I try to help anons the easiest way possible.

i guess, but eventually they'll have to do it for the first time. id dove straight in, but not before reading up on it for days to let in sink in. wasn't too hard.

I've said this before in /fglt/, and I'll say it here:

The difference between "difficult" and "easy" in operating systems is centered mainly on setting them up: installation and creating the initial environment. What rarely gets brought up is the ease later on. Most "difficult" Linux distros actually end up being much easier to maintain and troubleshoot, so that they "just werk" for much longer.

I want to be able to tinker with a thing if I need to, otherwise it needs to get out of my way. I like Gentoo but updates are painful. Arch is just trash all around except for the AUR. Rn I'm on solus but there are many missing packages. Maybe OpenSUSE will be my next step, or back to Debian.

This, except I'm installing Gentoo right now just for fun

The best option is to have something that just werks from the second you start the machine yet can be tinkered with if you know what you're doing. macOS best OS.

just werks.
I used to run Arch with Zen Kernel and using dwm and other things cool kids use. The shit was actually incredibly fast. But right know I'm tired of constant updates and occasional breakage (vanilla Arch is stable, enough, though). Right now I'm running Ubuntu Xfce which I installed from a mini iso. Not because I wanted to tinker but because Xubuntu worked like shit on my PC. Once I did everything myself - works like a charm.

I enjoy tinkering and had a minimal i3 setup with everything configured just to my liking until I used Unity and found everything just werks better. Only tinkering I've done with it is changing the wallpaper, configuring a few GUI programs and switching bash to zsh. When 17.10 comes out with GNOME it'll probably set me off again.

I like both. Whenever I start tinkering – I have a clear goal and once I've reached the goal – my system is extremely stable and usable once again.

I want a rock solid system that just werx with the ability to customize my interface.
Guess I'll throw this question in here, how's OpenSUSE Leap?

>how's OpenSUSE Leap
Bad. It's a failure of a system on almost every level. Which is sad because I used to like it even with all it's inflexibility and stupid settings that just HAVE to be different from any ither distro.

Much like Tumbleweed. OpenSUSE (both versions) is the biggest clusterfuck of a distro. They just have to ship a fuckton of software, multiple network managers etc. with the basic images, use shit like YAST that conflicts with other configuration stuff and force shitty filesystem like brtfs. Fucking awful distro everyone should avoid. I don't know how it's gotten as popular as it currently is.

my gtk gnome unity whatever crashed and now I am stuck with test builds of windows 8 so yeah, fuck