/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VW2txDV5UNQ
just-hifi.com/Help-with-ATH-M50-hinge_10477950.html
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Incredible OP image

Will I get a gf if I buy Beats by Dr Dre?

Cute couple.

shit series

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Elear vs LCD2 vs M1060?

ER4SR > HD600 > *

t.narutard from Sup Forums

is the logitech G430 really a good pair too buy? im replacing my old ass skullcandy slyr's.

M1060 is a distortion cannon and rings like a bitch. Other two are aight

Why haven't you killed yourself yet? Just stop, please.

oh boy you may have just summoned plebspotter. Good luck.

>listening to ASMR with my ma900s

not bad mi familia

3 shit headphones but lcd2 is the least shit, go with those

It objectively is though. Plus, plebspotter can't use the "THD is not audible" excuse because he constantly countersignals the user who posts the studies.

Neither are good.

the issue is you used the phrase "distortion cannon" which usually points to the lowend and is a bit misleading

It's got nearly 10% distortion at many frequencies, including those most audible to the human ear. If anything is a distortion cannon, it'd be this.

*over 1%, I got the log scale wrong.
Still super ugly, especially that spike 400-500hz.

that's not uncommon, pic related is the hd800

That's in the bass though. The M1060 has high distortion at 4/500hz, which means the second harmonic would be at 1000hz and the third harmonic would be at 1500hz. Definitely more audible than something at 40-50hz.

right, but if you're saying "distortion cannon", specifically, it usually means in the low end, that's all I'm saying. cannon is typically a colloquialism for bass and it's misleading, I'm not saying you are wrong

the most helpful comment ive ever seen thank

The oft-used term "treble cannon" proves you wrong. But really, it's a boring semantics argument.

>The oft-used term "treble cannon"
I'm pretty sure that came after "bass cannon", like how treblehead is a spin on basshead and not the other way around
>But really, it's a boring semantics argument.
I agree, but if someone starts to argue with you then that may be why, that's all I'm saying

>you can't tell the difference between 320 mp3 and flac
>flac is a waste of storage space
>flac is placebo
I can hear a difference between these identical songs, am I special?

foobar abx test results or gtfo

>last modified 2014
>last modified 2016
are you sure these are the same recordings user?

hello /hpg/

i was picking up my X2s and my hand slipped and accidentally applied a little bit of pressure to the inside of the headphone (as pictured), and i felt it "cave in" a really small amount, but there is a notice indent as pictured. its super tiny but its definitely noticable that i pushed it there.

did i fuck anything up? this has me really concerned. ive had these for like a year now with zero issues.

sorry for the dirty image too, shitty camera

ok
Should be? Same album different rips

Are the Soundmagic e10's still the best earbuds under $50?

If not, what buds then?

Hifiman RE-400
buy some JB weld if you're concerned about durability

I seem to have screwed up my pair of meme50s

On the right, I think the mechanism inside the gray part that's supposed to maintain the cups firm against my ear snapped or something

Anyone ever had this happen to them? How could I even fix this?

what headphones do you guys use for the gym?

beats

mpow Thor

>tfw you finish a listening session with your senns

>€160
>Ireland
>Phone/Xbox
>over-ear
>closed
>currently have 3 yo Sennheiser HD 429. Is it worth it getting an upgrade or should I stick with what I’ve got? I’ve been eyeing the AT ATH-M40x for a while now. Is it true that they’re better than the M50x?

you must listen to death grips

Well, what's your price range for headphones + mic (a combined set like gaming shitters usually suck for their price.)?

ill go up to 150$, i think thats fair.

Good.

You pushed in the driver, good job

It happens eventually with those. Cheap build quality to make them more portable.

Listening to ASMR with my LSR305s

yes. a pregnant one too so Sup Forums will be happy that you're breeding.

SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro. Maybe squeeze Brainwavz HM5 Pads for maximum comfort (see video).
youtube.com/watch?v=VW2txDV5UNQ

>lcd2 is the least shit

so i do not own an Audeze product nor have I heard one. However, my curiosity maybe getting the better of me lately. I enjoy nice separation and a clear sound. I'm content with the quality and quantity of the bass i get out of my he 560's but man, I do listen to a lot of vocal oriented indy folk/americana and I wonder if I could appreciate the lcd 2.

what do you think? have you heard them?

fuck, meant for .

>you can't tell the difference between 320 mp3 and flac
i can on a good majority of stuff i listen too especially through headphones. less so on speakers though.

besides, flac is easy to find and cheap to store unless you're a poorfag and if you are, why are you buying highend headgear?

Same here, i don't bother much with it though, unless i'm home there isn't really much point in having flac files to listen, most of the details get lost in the environment noise, but with my headphones in a quite room? Yeah, it's appearent.

For a bit more over budget, there's the Beyer Custom Studio and Vmoda BoomPro. Great headphones with a nice inline mic if you really need a combined mic+headphones.

just-hifi.com/Help-with-ATH-M50-hinge_10477950.html

LCD2 is real nigga shit. Amazing everything. Just boost 5K by 5dB and you're good to go.

what are some of the most memey headphones?

Not good but boring headphones like sennheisers but quirky headphones that are fun or 'wacky' with super high nigger bass or crazy highs or some shit like that

>Just boost 5K by 5dB and you're good to go.

yeah, i boost my 3k by 3db and my 6k by 1.5db for certain tracks.

I know i couldn't live with the lcd2 as my endgame because i feel like i would be missing out on too much of what i like in a headphone(sound q). But like i said, curious about all the love they get.

You're boosting the wrong places, consult the FR graphs. Anyways, the LCD-2 are just fucking incredible headphones.

>there are people who actually believe that.

thanks for the input. what do you own or have owned?

HD580

At this point it's too much of an intriguing challenge to continue to find new pictures of cute anime girls with question marks over their heads for me to stop.

Post your headphones, shlomo

Grado for extreme highs. First gen beats for extreme mid-bass. Sansui for quadraphonic headphones.

LCD2, HE400i, K701

Why doesn't the HD 600 or 650 have any soundstage?

You can't everything right.

What's up with the HD 600's gross bass roll-off?

The roll-off is a secondary concern. It's not really that important or severe. The midbass hump takes away from the clarity, which is a bigger problem.

nice and well rounded!
i have the 702's, he550's, 560's and the dt 770s for when i don't want to hear the neighbor bouncing his basketball during a listening session AND when i want my head kicked in.

ok thanks

I have the m40x's, is it normal if I feel like the left side is very, very slightly louder? Even when I wear my headphones backwards I can feel it on my other ear. It's not a big deal but it kind of bugs me. I hope I'm not just imagining it, but I also hope it's not a defect. Could it be the aux cable, maybe? Or is it normal for some songs? I've experienced it on a few.

does that mean its broke? sound still works fine as far as i know

Question and comments such as THD is audible or inaudible are a tell that the person has a very limited understanding of the subject matter.
THD is not strictly defined for anything other sinusoids which do not compose music sounds. Modulation of tones by other tones and noise is the typical real world scenario.
It should be obvious to anyone that THD is a weak description of perception of nonlinearity. You don't need to look to a study published in the last 20 years to know that. This has been demonstrated countless times over in controlled tests.

This isn't a THD measurement, and it would worth recalling that from time to time.
Some of the rise from 4-5 kHz is likely a measurement artifact. The midrange distortion is probably its actual characteristic.

The headphone has its own particular coloration. You can manipulate that with an equalizer which in turn has some effect on soundstage.

The sound will be altered, but the headphone is still usable.
Headphone drivers don't break unless they get torn apart.

>Some of the rise from 4-5 kHz is likely a measurement artifact. The midrange distortion is probably its actual characteristic.

Doubt it. Tyll's rig has two artifact spikes, 200hz and 2Khz.

Yes, the tester is subject to switching.
This artifact would be induced by the wild magnitude response swings.

Might be. The FR dip isn't actually there though, it's just ringing for days.

I'm trying to decide between Dunu 2000j and FLC8S. I'm leaning towards the former. I'm upgrading for Vsonic GR07. Any opinions?

Just bought a pair of HD579s for a friend on assflop. how bad did I fuck up?

Not at all. Best headphones under $200.

Fantastic. I did pretty much no research, but heard they were good.

Ringing is necessarily induced by sharp shifts in the FR. They are the same thing. Either the sharp dip and spikes exist or there is no ringing.
The headphone in general looks like a tensioning fail.

What was the difference between the C8 and C8S?
2000J is a V-shaped IEM, takes heavily after the K3003. It's basically the Chinese imitation, minus tuning filters.

From a short listen, it has a marked spike around 5-6kHz.

Change Log:
- Add filter ? help text for people who don't know anything about anything
- Add details for HD 569, HD 579, and DT-880

Additional comments:
I still don't understand why people like/buy the DT-880 so I don't think I gave it a fair shake. I tried though.

Thank you, I'll see what I can do

>I still don't understand why people like/buy the DT-880
High frequency hearing loss.

>ruler of V-shapes.
No it's not, most people say it's not even v-shaped

It IS V-shaped, literally and measurably so.

See, people disagree about even that. The people who like it call it neutral, everyone else calls it v-shape. It seems to be Beyer's attempt at neutral.

So I fucked up and bought SMSL sd-793II, turns out it's fiber out only, I can't connect that to my mother board? Should I buy some sort of adapter or should I just sell the amp and get something else?

buy the uca202, it'll give you usb to optical out

>bow before it's powerful treble
Lol'd so fucking hard! Seriously though, DT880 owner here, what exactly do you want to understand?

Does the Oppo HA-2SE are enough to power my DT-990 Pro 600omh?

- Do you consider it V or neutral?
- Why did you purchase it?
- What aspects do you like about it?

It gets a lot of memes from the HD 600 crowd for not being neutral enough.

how everything between 5-20KHz sounds it's highly dependent on your ear canal so some people are very sensitive to sibilance and for others all the highs are slightly muffled

192000Hz is placebo, and can be even worse than 44100Hz.

Read: people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

What are your setups like, anons? I've been listening to the kekkai sensen ost lately, real fuckin good.

Ok, in order:
>Do you consider it V or neutral?
I consider it v-shapped, it both measures and sound so, that's coming form someone who tested lots of headphones though, i can see how someone with less experience might get used to the signature and think otherwise.
It does seems to be Beyerdyanamic's take on neutrality though, but they also do have the DT250 which is more neutral in general, so there's that.
>Why did you purchase it?
I was trying to pick from the big three since all are praised as good studio headphones, the primary use would be as a refference headphone for mixing/mastering, tested them all, turns out the DT880 treble helps picking up some problems in the mix i some times overlooked on the monitors (same thing i liked about my MDR V6), other engineers and producers i know also seem to favor the Beyer headphones for the same reason. It did help that i liked how my favorite artists sound on it (i like rock and i'm a bass player so i'm very ok with bass and drums being a bit prominent).
>What aspects do you like about it?
Well, there's the fact that bass and drums sound great on it, it has my favorite bass of the big three and sounds right enough for a headphone (have never tested a headphone that made justice to what actual bass playing, but it's good enough imho).
It's versatile enough that sounds good with most genres and i really like the comfort. So far it seems durable, nothing breaking, in fact aside from the pads in looks just like new it's being only three years though (I think), so i have to see how long they will last overall.

Might as well add some cons i find on them:
the treble is prominent and may indeed cause fatigue.
The cable not being detachable doens't bother me, but it's not cool at all at the price range imo.
The pads do lose color over time and start turning brown (even if you wash them regularly).