So why isn't Sup Forums supporting VP9? Since compared to VP8 it:
>Improve the quality of your video experience
>Reduce the bitrate required

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Supported_media_formats
arewecompressedyet.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't see gook moot doing this anytime soon

All I care about is file size, how are file sizes?

Because it requires someone that actually cares

are you mentally handicapped?

VP9 and Opus work by default. It was moot/gookmoot who ADDED code to BLOCK it. All they need to do is to delete the blocking code.

>still cucked by silent webms
FUCKING CHANGE THIS MOOT

VP9 can encode videos at half the file size

because only a filthy phoneposter would even care

They want videos to be very handicapped on purpose, because on most boards they want them to serve as no more than something like enhanced gifs.

>higher quality
>lower file sizes

>hurr only phoneposters can make use of this

yep

Webm support was implemented by a Google intern (and now Google full-time employee) who volunteered to do some engineering work for Sup Forums at cut rate one summer. The current engineering talent at Sup Forums do not have requisite skill to modify the webm code to accept VP9-encoded webms also. This Google engineer is the contact that got moot a job at Google after he sold Sup Forums to Hiroshimoot.

Something you fucking cucks don't understand is the amount of effort it takes to implement this. Also shit is auto deleted after a while anyway.

Inb4 bandwidth. Nigga I can transfer 10 gbps nonstop for mere pennies.

Thought yall niggas was smart but niggas just dumb.

vp9/webm is an html5 standard. it works by default

Sup Forums is actively blocking it, probably because of ifags and phone posters

VP9 never worked, even when WebM was first enabled. I remember people complaining about VP9 not working then.

except it was never enabled.

ogg/opus/vp8/vp9
h264/mp4

all work by simply using tags

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Supported_media_formats

Youtube uses VP9

vp8 handled encoding higher framerate in real time better than vp9

>why isn't Sup Forums supporting VP9

Lack of universal support at the time.

>moot/gookmoot who ADDED code to BLOCK it.

And this probably made sense at the time. I doubt that many are using 2 year old versions of Chrome/Chromium/Firefox right now, though. And if they are using a browser that doesn't support it then it probably doesn't support video at all.

Someone would have to lift a finger to remove the VP9 block, so I guess this won't be fixed ever.

I'd also love to be able to put audio on webm's, it's not like they start playing automatically and if you're browsing at work then you'll likely not have speakers or a headset anyway.

The other Chan has it and it works fine. Posting 8 MB video clips with sound is awesome.

This clip requires a 12core+ cpu to run.

Just watched it fine on a dual-core CPU

>Unironically going to polchan.
Might as well go to here.

>why isn't Sup Forums supporting VP9?
Originally, it was because it lacked browser support. Then moot left and gookmoot took over. Since then, VP9 gained the same support as VP8, but gookmoot ain't gonna lift a finger to add anything to this site other than ads

3% usage on a fucking amd a8, stop using that shitty first gen atom toaster

Because 2 weren't enough.

>audio
/wsg/

>submit webm on a fukin phone
how

Hahahaha I haven't been around for a while that's what yall call the new owner? Hilarious

The main benefit for me is supported arbitrary pixel dimensions. A lot of times the old gifs I have are odd dimensions (like 224 x 223), and converting to vp8 fails because they aren't multiples of two. VP9 allows this, and would make my life easier.

>VP9
>spend 4hrs encoding a 30sec clip
No thanks.

Hi Sup Forums

> be video format enthusiast
> study video compression during college
> learn about ffmpeg, start submitting patches
> h264 is really advanced, and super fast
> broad hardware support, 300fps encode speed on commodity hardware
> quality is great, mainly due to b frames
> "why is this not more widely used?"
> read about mpegla, and the "patent pools"
> have to pay to use advanced algorithms
> literally only one browser can afford to support it
> safari .... ugh
> Google removes all the futures from h264 that make it awesome
> calls it webm (or vp8)
> mostly to avoid all the patents
> webm (a.k.a mkv) is shitty quality but good enough (tm)
> both Chrome and firefox support it
> webm gets widely used

Thats what vp8 is popular. It has nothing to do _at all_ with quality. It is solely about patents. For all the fucktards who complain about Google and ads, remember they are also one of the few companies opensourcing all their awesome shit.

how long until the new format?

h265 is popular now, but a lot of its built on h264.

I don't think vp9 will get widespread popularity because vp8 is good enough. Its the same reason jpeg is still a format. It isnt the best, but good enough.

take 30s to encore a 30s clip

no, I meant the one made by some new alliance
using daala and other stuff

>shilling jewgle
Disgusting

daala has slowed down recently, probably due to Monty Montgomery not working on it as much. They had some really interesting ideas derived from audio encoding, but they haven't made any big deliverables. Opus is really the only thing they have made lately. (its good!)

I hate to be a shill, but as an open source person, they are doing the right thing. Judge Google based on all their actions, not just a couple of them.

aren't MS, Google and Mozilla working on the AV1 codec?

>> be video format enthusiast
>Can't differentiate between codec and container

Sure thing, pleb

Love that classic early 80s-style animation.

>storing a file and making a thumbnail is hard
Please enlighten me

sorry bro, have to simplify to be relatable. You understand. Most people associate the container with the codec.

No, can you imagine the chaos sound enabled webms would cause?

They also reduce the bandwidth because its like half the filesize.
But I have a feeling that they dont actually know how to add support for vp9, so dont expect it to ever happen.

Again this experiment has already been done. The other Chan has them and it works fine. I've shared 3 minute video clips there and It's awesome.

His actual name is hiroshima nagasaki

the other image boards aren't on the same level of popularity.
It's like comparing youtube to vimeo

>adding features to Sup Forums
Good one.

Sup Forums is written a very obscure lisp dialect that no-one knows anymore. The "database" is just a bunch of plaintext files in a folder on their server.

Oh wait, never mind, that's hacker news.

it's not that, its browser compatibility. Adding vp9 support is likely a 1 line change.

VP9 also supports hardware accelerated encoding, vp8 does not. There are zero benefits to VP8 over VP9, not even encode speed.

dumb phoneposter here, it even works for me

crop or add 1 sample to be even.

AV1bitstream freeze should be at the end of this year.

Daala is not intended to be released, it's intended to be a development testbed. All of Xiph people are working on AV1 from within AOM.

>Sound in webm
>Ever

No. GTFO.

>they are doing the right thing. Judge Google based on all their actions

Have you not been paying attention to the rapidly increasing censorship in their search engine, on YouTube and all their other platforms as well as their employees being fired for saying anything critical about their corporate policies and so on?

Based on ALL of Google's actions it's clear that they are pure evil authoritarians. They are doing the right thing in the minor parts of open source and standards, I agree on that - but as a whole, going by "all their actions" - they are so evil they pose a danger to humanity as a whole.

webms with audio are allowed on /gif/ and /wsg/

this

Because Sup Forums is a shit.

>thinking Sup Forums or Sup Forums gives a shit about other chans
It's chaos and you know it. 1000s of shitposters will replace the audio of all viral/popular webms with some volume boosted spongebob/meme song/sex tap/animu audio meme and spread them constantly. You know this will be true. 15-50% of webms will be audio shitposts

>silent webms
pretty sure I've heard webms on some other broads

>hiroshimoot
>ever working
Lel

we already have webms with sound on Sup Forums and you're wrong.

Best Hiroshima is a ausent Hiroshima.

hevc is even better

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

???

gook mooth should fucking allow it already, it's always the same shit with the admin faggot, never doing anything useful

gookmoot probly doesnt even have access to the code, he'd have to ask the FBI to do it.

>implying this isn't a good thing

>Thats what vp8 is popular
vp8 is not popular at all, people even think the audio from youtube comes as mp3

>shitty quality
that's a load of bullshit

Anyone know how much better av1 will be in % efficiancy compared to vp8 and vp9?

Wont know any of that til its benchmarked.

They're aiming for 50% more efficiency over HEVC so use that to extrapolate an estimate.

rather an alternative to google recaptcha than vp9

is that Bobby Lee?

AV1 will never fucking happen

Sure.
arewecompressedyet.com/

>hosting the audio in a webm is too much

Retard, might as well limit the webm length to 15 seconds and 3fps

He isn't wrong. If you visit /wsg/ or /gif/, you can see those idiots who think loud is funny and unironically post spongebob shit.
I'm 100% sure I could find one right now if I looked.

>Nigga I can transfer 10 gbps nonstop for mere pennies

Please do tell which network is going to peer with you.
I somehow feel like ISPs aren't lining up to peer with Sup Forums... hence the need to purchase transit.