/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>View this handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

If you want help:
>State the budget and currency for your build
>List purposes of build, e.g. gaming, video editing, or virtual machines
>For monitors, include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, size, and gfx card pairing

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount
>New i3s will be old i5 equivalents (4c/4t); new i5s and i7s will have +50% cores/threads
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>If you use Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/f3jmwV
amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Twins-USB-Powered-Computer-Speakers/dp/B00GHY5F3K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1506914625&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=computer speakers&psc=1
ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ayoyom/saved/3vnxrH
anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug
fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3059-dark-base-pro-900-white-review-temperature-noise-benchmarks
pcpartpicker.com/list/7cyjd6
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1650-PC-Quad-Core-i7-3770-3-40GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-DUAL-NVIDIA-Win10-/202065044653?hash=item2f0c03e4ad:g:wHAAAOSw~G1ZyV~D
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Alright /pcbg/ Make me a Ryzen based system.
>Budget: $1000
>Color theme: Blue
>Games: Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3, Cities Skylines, Mad Max, Fallout 4
>Hard mode: a PSU shroud and a 5.25" drive bay so I can watch my blu ray movies.

You finally got rid of thes. Good job.

I think you're looking for reddit

I have an old hp pavilion that i can mess with, It had an Asus IPIBL-LB Motherboard (LGA 775) it has a Pentium E5200, whats the best cpu i can upgrade it too, the hp wbsite says its compatabile with Intel Core 2 Quad CPUS. Whats the best on i can upgrade to?

pcpartpicker.com/list/f3jmwV
budget is a hard cap of $1,500. Linux dual boot gaming PC. been wondering if I should just settle for a 1050 TI since the 1060 and RX 480 is still overpriced. pricing availability might improve in time for Mid November when I buy the parts but I'm asking anyway.

You sound like a fag but I'll help you out anyway.
I don't think you're going to achieve a blue color scheme without RGB light parts. If you have trouble finding a case with bays for large hard drives, just get one of those "hard drive toasters." when you post in battlestation threads it will make you look like you're a video editor or content creator.
you didn't specify what resolution you intend to play your games at. if you're only gaming at 1080 a GTX 1070 or up would be overkill and your money would be better spent on other parts.

So what are the Sup Forums recommended pc speakers?

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Twins-USB-Powered-Computer-Speakers/dp/B00GHY5F3K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1506914625&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=computer speakers&psc=1

1080p
and yes. definitely a faggot.
Doesn't need to be all blue, but a majority of blue accents would do.

nope. been here for over a decade. Both Sup Forums and /o/ are evolutions of /m/

The meme is to buy audiophile-grade headphones for $300 or more. $200 for an HD 6xx if it's still on Memedrop. Ask /hpg/ but expect things to get expensive.

why all these new threads don't have the proper 60/100/144Hz GPU recommendations? these new ones are so plain and bare

So which 4K monitor should you be looking at if you want 31,5" and good image quality?

Would a sata m2 drive in a usb 3.0 enclosure be bottle-necking by a lot or should I get a usb-c enclosure instead

well, the 4k screen with the best image quality around that size is the UP3017Q, but it's quite expensive
don't quote me on this, but I don't think you can go wrong with other dell monitors, but there aren't a lot of options at that size
you should totally listen to other poster's suggestions too, I don't know everything

Does anything worth buying ever go on sale? Like, black friday or anything? I want to replace my 760, but I'm poor and cryptocucks.

Depends on your budget, but if you want to spend reasonably and get good audio quality, get the Edifier Studio 1280T, or the Edifier Studio 1600TIII 2.0 if you want higher output and have no budget problems.

I don't think its worth over investing in to a speaker setup, because generally you wont be able to fully utilize it (noise restrictions in apartments, housemates, etc) or there are background noises that interfere. Its all good if you live alone in a cottage somewhere, or if you are an inconsiderate asshole, but I think its more worth it to invest in a good headphone setup.

Going to be picking up a new monitor soon. What are the top monitor brands that I should be looking at?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ayoyom/saved/3vnxrH

How does this look? Any glaring omissions/mistakes?

I want to go SFF with my next build, and I expect to get ~400 back from selling my current build minus its 120gb SSD.

What's the most I should pay for a 6GB 1060/4GB/8GB RX 580 respectively? I saw them respectively going for 330/300/380 (canadian dollars).

I noticed a 60 watt delta between the 1060 and 580, but with how much I game the difference is 7 dollars a year and my landlord pays for power anyway.

If I had 5000€ to spend on prototype hardware then I wouldn't be asking for consumer advice on a chinese cartoon technology board.

My budget is

-Shorter PSU longevity (potentially)
-More heat = more noise from fans working (depends on heatsink manufacturer and design)

And nvidia drivers may give you a few more extra fps in some games over the 580.

Buy the 580 cause you don't take the environment in to consideration and the competition keeps nvidia prices down.

>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
How long has this been in the OP?
GPUs have a new use now, people arent going to suddenly stop mining - this isnt temporary
The supply is artificially restricted in that suppliers aren't going to increase production since profits are genuinely better this way because most people will buy them anyway.

just got done migrating to this case and my temps have gone down 10~ degrees idle and around 15-20 load. I'm quietly chuffed

Still doesnt change the fact that mining has driven up the price retard

>market equalizes
>lets wait for it to go down, or use old shit for the next infinity years!
retard

i know this is /pcbg/ but i'm in the market for a laptop with a powerful cpu/gpu for games READ: a laptop that i can use for school then bring home and plug up to my monitor and peripherals. what companies should i steer towards?

dont it will be too heavy and you will hate yourself for having to cart it around all day
just buy a cheap $200 lenovo piece of crap and then get a desktop
gaming laptops are a stupid waste that you will regret once you have it - if you're reasonable

? a lot of laptops with gtx1060s are comparable to far less powerful ones.

fact remains unchanged...
Graphics card prices might go down in the future how are you to know.
retard lol?

Leaf wanting to do a build in December; haven't done one in 5 years now so I basically am out of touch with the current hardware.

What I use: Zbrush, 3DSmax, some vidya. (my i5 3570k has been good for the most part but slows on some renders/Ambient Occlusion bakes)

I also use some old programs, so i'm a tad reluctant to go with W10; somewhere i heard that newer CPU's may not support older.

Budget ideal: 1200$ (max 1300 if there is something that i really need)

Is NCIX Boxing day deal still a good thing?

If I'm using a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB, an SSD notorious for having issues and shitting the bed, and I'm getting Wangblows ordering me to run check disk every now and again, is it totally nothing to worry about or is it a very big deal?

Just had an issue where my PC would totally shit the bed for apparently no reason, clicking anything was unresponsive, ctrl+alt+delete just made the screen go black and need a hard reset. After a few times this happened Wangblows was like 'you probably should run a check disk mate', so I did.

What do?

Is there a 120Hz 1080p Freesync IPS monitor? It's for watching movies and video so 120Hz is better than 144Hz (30 and 60fps videos divide evenly)

There might be a firmware update.
anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

You can just set a 144Hz monitor to run at 120Hz if you like.

Also I'm not sure if maybe you're uber sensitive to shit like that, but I've never noticed any difference what so ever running 24FPS movies or 30FPS videos on my monitor regardless of the refresh rate.

Why do you need Freesync for a constant refresh rate?

Check the disk mate.

You do know you can lower the frequency, right?

Does that actually work for the perfect frames meme?

Maybe I just don't know what Freesync does, is it just for dynamic framerate?

>Does that actually work for the perfect frames meme?
What?

Where the video fps divides into the monitor's refresh rate so it plays "as intended" ie 24fps video on 24/48/72Hz etc

can anyone point me in the direction of a case that can hold a minimum of 2 480mm radiators or the equivalent in other sizes?
only other requirements are that it not cost a literal fortune and is as small as possible, but still support atx

It's complete bullshit, if anything its worse. I don't know about films, but I have a 110Hz monitor, both 110FPS and 220FPS look like complete dogshit for games, constant and perfect vertical tearing line right through the middle of the screen. I set my global FPS cap to 125FPS in Rivatuner because of it.

It's not for games user, every (((film student))) has told me that for movies having a divisible refresh rate is better.

Either lock your refresh rate to your content with vsync or interpolate to whatever framerate you want. Freesync/Gsync is for games when your gpu can't reach the refresh rate of your monitor and will lower refresh rate as framerates lower during intensive gameplay. There's no reason you can't use a fixed refresh rate for watching videos and your videoplayer/renderer should have settings for that.

That's a big radiator.

In that case what's the best IPS panel for movies? 120Hz or more.

Gimme a bit to set up some custom resolutions and I'll tell you if I can see any difference between 96Hz (divisible into 24) and 110Hz or 60Hz in some 24FPS films.

Thanks senpai

for you

plz any answers

480 mm rads aren't much better than thick 240 & 360 mm rads. New high SP fans are so efficient, you don't even need push/pull. Check GamersNexus' or JayzTwoCents' case reviews for something newer with rad support.
This is the first one that makes sense to me. $90 USD but to go cheaper would mean at best 2x240 mm, 25 mm thick): fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

Keep a backup

>The supply is artificially restricted
Not really. AMD and NVIDIA would like to sell more but they didn't anticipate the demand and accelerating the production takes a while, because the foundries set their orders months in advance

Watched a shot of a car moving across the screen a bunch of times (where any motion stutter fuckups would be most apparent) in a 24FPS film at 48Hz, 60Hz, 96Hz and 110Hz, personally can't see any difference between them what so ever and I'm quite autistically sensitive to stutters in games and shit.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could say why it's the case, but I'd guess from the lack of vertical tearing ever when watching films that most players use vsync anyway, so it isn't going to matter. I'm of the opinion that when it comes to refresh rate, more is definitely more. The only issues I've ever encountered from higher refresh rates is shit like drivers not wanting to downclock your GPU at idle.

t. also took a film class in uni too, lel, best one I took at my shitty degree

Thanks a bunch for the test!

The main problem is AMD was burned recently in the past when they ended up with a huge stock of cards when the mining bubble crashed a little while ago and everyone was just buying used. They're very hesitant to produce large batches of cards now because the mining demand is so volatile.

i need to dissipate over 1000w of heat ideally with a 10-15c delta. I need the rad space. ive looked at thicker 360mm and all, and realistically I need the extra 120mm and even then im looking at thick rads

Just get a Xeon x3320. Its a higher bin version of the q6600 buts it still really cheap. Not the fastest but it's cheap

I just setup my new AIO cooler but the computer just shuts down. After a while I got into windows again and saw the temps. I checked the temps again after I let everything cool down after 10 minutes, the CPU is super hot but the water tubes and radiator fins are super cold. Is it safe to say that the pump is just not moving any water at all because of the cold tubes and cold radiator? So the AIO has a bad pump and I should just RMA?

can blu ray writers also read/write cd and dvd

if i want to do VMs, should I avoid ryzen because of the NPT bug?

Custom loop is the only way. How are you making 1000w?

yes

using TEC's. yes i know it's inefficient and the whole nine yards, but the performance is there if you do it right, and I intend to

What are TECs?

thermoelectric coolers, peltier plates
they take heat and exchange it, allowing one side to be cool and the other side to be really fucking hot

What are you cooling?

How are you powering TECs and whatever is putting out 1000 W TDP?

Can you hear the pump?

That Fractal case would allow a thick 360 mm and a standard 240 mm together.

standard atx psu for the components, switching psu set to a 12v limit for the tecs, 1 is running off of a HAM radio style vdc psu so i can adjust voltage as need be
i dont think you get how hot these things get

Do I need to reinstall my OS if replace everything but the storage drives?

What's making the heat to begin with? Also, dispersing 1000w is going to require a custom loop or LN2. AIOs will not be enough.

>aio not enough
thats why i asked about 480mm radiators
the heat comes from the process in which TEC's shift heat, as well as the components. it takes power to move heat, which in turn causes more heat. to move 600w of heat or so the TEC's will generate another 500-600w themselves, which you then in turn have to also dissipate

if it's oem you need another key
if it's retail, it's probably still a good idea to reinstall

Yes, I'm asking what components are making that much heat.

a 1080ti overclocked, a threadripper 1920x overclocked, and 4 TEC's with a Qmax of 226w, a Vmax of 24.5w, and a Imax of 15A, each running at approximately 48-50% of the Vmax

Very faint buzzing sound from the pump.

I'm starting to understand the dilemma. You need at least 720x120x60 mm radiator space and still push/pull for 1000 W. You're not going to find a reasonably priced case for that and you're already spending an arm & leg on the loop. Get something beefy like a Be Quiet! Dark Base 900.
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3059-dark-base-pro-900-white-review-temperature-noise-benchmarks

The Pro has tempered glass and is like $70 more expensive.

p l z r e s p o n d

I should actually thank you, I was considering a 1080Ti SLI & R7 build which would have a similar TDP. I greatly underestimated the radiator space I would need.

Console Killer
pcpartpicker.com/list/7cyjd6

this guy gets it. thanks, ill look into that case
you dont get it. minus the TEC's you'll be fine with even a 240mm 60mm thick rad, although I'd opt for a 360mm. without the TEC's you're only looking at maybe 450w of heat tops, and thats assuming both are heavily overclocked. with a 10c delta over ambient which is FANTASTIC you'd be fine on even a 360mm rad for that kind of setup

i just saw the sli part. up that heat to like 650w max, and in that case id go 360 and 240mm to be safe
either way you still dont need a ton of rad space

what are some good cases between featureless box and gaymer spaceship?

If you're willing to pay this much for performance, why not a 1950x?

i dont think it will be much of an issue. depends on your use. look into it as best you can but i would say you'll probably be fine. afaik most of the bugs with VMs at launch have been worked out, specifically with iommu. might want to check out level1techs/their forums for more info

>Custom EVGA 1080ti fucking explodes
>Or not, they apparently fixed it
>Regular Nvida 1080ti overpriced
>ROG TI hueg
>MSI TI nothing special

If I have enough money to comfortably buy one, does it even matter which brand I go with? Aren't they all basically the same, barring the Nvidia one?

apparently the npt isnt ryzen exclusive and it's 10 years old
maybe they will work it out soon, but i dont want to bet my money on it.

it doesnt make sense for me as much as the 1920x. the main reason I'm going x399 is pci-e connectivity, but the 1900x is just so far out of line with the price/perf I cant bring myself to go for it. the extra cores on the 1920x will be nice for VM work as well.
beyond that, I'm looking at the cooling as an investment, it'll be adaptable to almost any setup I'll be using for the next forseeable future with a simple block change on the cpu, as for gpu I'd like to get another 2-3 years out of this one, I dont see why i should be able to and even then it's just a gpu and block change away.

>asks if he should avoid ryzen
>gets an answer that goes against his predecided decision
you asked, i answered. if you're worried about it pay the extra bit and get something like a 7820x, or wait for covfefe lake and spring for the 8700k

is there something that will convert this into an internal usb port?

they are all virtually the same, even the nvidia ones if you put custom cooling on them
it comes down to what will fit, and if you prefer 5c over 2-5db

>pcpartpicker.com/list/7cyjd6
You really should pony up for a SSD at least. You can always salvage, ram, storage, cases from other builds. Otherwise nicely done. Still might be worth searching around ebay more for boards/cases. If you're going real cheap you could just get an old workstation and put a 1060 & SSD in it. I don't think you need such a high clocked cpu either.

Get something like this: ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1650-PC-Quad-Core-i7-3770-3-40GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-DUAL-NVIDIA-Win10-/202065044653?hash=item2f0c03e4ad:g:wHAAAOSw~G1ZyV~D

well i wanted to see if anyone could rebut me or show me that the bug is being worked on

not that i am aware of
you would need to power the usb, and beyond that might need a controlled. if i were you i would just get a small cheap sata drive, or get a usb splitter for one of your internal headers, or if you have a free one then just get an adapter for that
i doubt anyone here can. try /fglt/ or /sqt/ they might know. also, the previously mentioned level1techs forum will more than likely know

Doesn't your mobo have a spare front panel usb connector? My atx mobo has 4 fucking connectors, why would I ever need so much.

Got a 32gb Intel Optane stick from a friend. Currently using a 4790k so it won't work. Coincidentally I'm planning to upgrade when coffee lake comes out so what HDD or SSD and cpu should i pair it with?

Please respond

It was shit capacitors on the first SC 10XX cards. the iCX stuff is fine.

By my math, with a space heater OC on everything (4 [email protected], [email protected]) dissipating ~850 W is expected.

You know the Optane SSDs are coming out soon. In theory, the Optane module will benefit booting from a large media HDD more than anything else.

Just to check, the pump header is plugged in and reading out an RPM? Of course there's thermal paste underneath right?

>case window on left side
>panel door swings open left

i dont think you'll need that voltage for that clockspeed on the 1080ti. mine does ~2030 on stock voltage in most cases, founder edition with custom cooling. I could see some of the aftermarket designs being able to pull more wattage but with the clock wall with pascal I dont think its much of a necessity. I was estimating a 300w max based on the max power draw of a reference 1080ti (225w through pci-e, 75w through mobo) Also bear in mind that would be the absolute worst case, as that's assuming both cpu and gpus are at 100% full load
i really do think a 360mm and 240mm would be fine, considering that the previously posted radiator test was with a 10c delta, which is nuts. even a 20-30c delta is perfectly fine and in most cases what custom water nets, even with a 30c delta you're only looking at load temps of low to mid 50s