/kg/ keyboard general

Ask someone who just got a Kawai ES110 to learn piano anything.

Also keyboard general.
Also Roland FP30 sounds like shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nlfGgEGiIa4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw no nord modular g1 keyboard edition

best chinkshit keyboard?

What are you looking for?

Has anyone got any experience or feedback on the Studiologic SL88 Studio keyboard ? Looking for something to expand my music production on, but most importantly a decent tool to learn how to play piano.

absolutely can't afford nor install a normal straight piano at my house right now by the way.

Have a M-Audio Pro Keys Sono 61 here.
It has decent keys (half weighted) and is overall solid. The sounds on this thing are shit, but good enough for practice.

I played the numa stage and organ and I think they make some pretty good feeling keyboards, so I guess the sl88 will be fine

Why is Japan so comfy?

OP here. Advice. When buying keyboards go play them if you can. I was undecided on the ES110 vs Roland FP30 vs Yamaha DGX 660. The FP30 sounded great on Youtube. The DGX sounded OK but had LOTS of features. However it also felt a bit dead. In storee the FP30 sounded like SHIT in comparison to the ES110. The ES110 also felt like a real piano which is good for learning on and even though it has less features it means less distractions.. Youtube videos don't always tell the entire story.

Test them out in the stores if you can.

Does it even matters how it sounds, if it has MIDI out? Doesn't that allow you to hook it up to any midi host and make it sound like anything?

I'd be more concerned how the key function, whether it is possible to replace them if they break, and whether they have a good enough polyphony.

bump for this question

I'm going to get a Kawai MP11 this Black Friday, upgrading from a Yamaha P85. I'm only a casual player who'll just use this in my room, not actually as a "stage" piano.

should I be rethinking my financial choices? Action is very important to me, but maybe I'm overestimating its importance or something.

midi controller with >= 40 keys

Roland fp 7 here.
The sound is good, it has limited functionality other than that. The feel of keys is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for any other keyboard.

Also can anyone redpill me on Nord keyboards

when plugging in speakers to a digital piano, can I just plug it in directly from the RCA outputs or should I use a USB interface? I'm thinking of JBL LSR305s which are apparently the king under $500, but I'm open to increasing my budget if it helps (just for home use though so a living room at most).

Pretty much this, once you move past babby level learning, you want to step it up and hook it up via midi to Mainstage or Ableton or whatever. Then it's *all* about the feel. Whether you like weighted/semi-weighted/light keys, the size etc.
Picked up a Stage 3 recently. It's magnificent. Use a mix of onboard sounds and midi. Feels good man

If you use it regularly, with chinkshit you'll kill your fingers or want to tear your hair out after a while of playing with one. Short term while learning/no moneys fine, after that invest

The MP11 does not have its own speakers but you probably already know that.

Yes you can if the monitors aree powered.

>Whether you like weighted/semi-weighted/light keys, the size etc.

How much difference is there between weighted, semi, and light keys?

I imagine lighter ones are better because they are less strain on your fingers, but then it would be difficult to vary between soft and hard presses.

Yeah, depends on what you're playing, especially if you're used to acoustic pianos. Light keys feel really odd to more traditional players, and vice versa. I'm a semi-weighted fan as I can solo easy enough, but I get a bit of feeling when playing full chord/more classical stuff. It's really personal, you kinda have to try them out to know.

Cool. I had a MT-540 as a kid, which I figure is the lightest there is since it's basically plastic triggers hitting a silicone membrane. Sadly the keys have mostly broken off, and I can't find any replacements for 1980s Casio small keys.

Not really. It's just nice for practicing so you don't have the need to turn on the computer.

I have the SL-1100. Velocity curve isn't the greatest, but I like the weighted feel more than even many of the modern digital pianos.

moxf8 master race reporting in

Got the p45 recently to learn, works fine. My idea was to get something quite cheap and save the remaining cash for a real piano if I ever get good at playing
Not really sure why you would ever spend over a grand on a digital piano surely it wont ever sound as good as a real one.

i have the fp 90 and the onboard speakers suck, but if you hook it up to half decent studio monitors or headphones it sounds a lot better

What a remarkably informative post. Thanks for sharing, infant.

I have a Yamaha DGX630 in my closet i havent touched in years

>Not really sure why you would ever spend over a grand on a digital piano surely it wont ever sound as good as a real one.
Portability, maintenance-free convenience, and for whenever the volume of an acoustic piano is not practical.

I'd think that people are more concerned about the action rather than the sound.

Sometimes you don't need a realistic sound anyway, not everyone is trying to play classical piano sonatas on them.

That, and there are pianos that can pitch bend or modulate.
youtube.com/watch?v=nlfGgEGiIa4

did you get the optional stand and pedals?

No problem. If you have any questions about it, feel free

If I could have afforded it I would have gone for the FP90 over the ES110 despite the keys being somewhat lighter. The onboard speakers are actually pretty good considering. Better than the speakers on the ES110 by a mile. But for learning I am not too fussed and I can always pair it up with some decent monitors if needs be.

No I did not need them. It comes with a decent sustain pedal and a music stand. I already have an X stand for it and I don't need 3 pedals yet by a long shot.

How do you figure out the what chord to use? I can figure out the melody of a song just fine, but when it came to the chords, I'm just drawing blank.

I've been using pic related for 6+ years now. Always worked for me.

K120 is GOAT.

>Buy digital piano
>Everything that can hook up to it (Bluetooth/apps) is Apple

You have to go back

I have CASIO STK-2100.
Roast me!

Did the same thing as OP here, bought the Kawai ES100 a few years ago along with the proper wooden stand + 3 pedals.
Amazing piano. Feels great and actually has quite a number of different piano sounds which you won't get with other DPs at the price range.

Yea, there's a difference between "keyboard" and "synthesizer", but of course a lot keyboards will have a built-in synthesizer (or vice versa).
Something like the waldorf blofeld you can get as a desktop module with midi input, or you can get it with integrated keyboard and then it has both midi input (if you want to use an external kbd or sequencer anyway) and midi output (if you want to use the keyboard to play something else).

Surely it has midi?

Pic related my keyboard-fu. Maybe I should first learn to actually play though.

K120 would be the best if it had full height keys and if it could survive being washed out (accidentally spilled cola in it, buttons got stuck, I put it in the dishwasher after wards; it got clean but the keys are harder to press now).

At home I use a Logitech deluxe 660, and a wired mouse. It has the exact layout and key height I like.

It has MIDI yes. It also has Bluetooth MIDI for apps but the Android landscape is a bit shit compared to Apple.

Finally a proper place to ask a question that's been bogging me for the past year.
I bought myself a Yamaha P-45 for learning purposes and while it feels great it sounds a little... off? After reading numerous reviews people say it's one of the better sounding digital pianos out there but to me it sounds dull, muffled or underwater-like. Really hard to explain. In Youtube videos it sounds great and whole a lot different than my real thing. It's especially weird when hitting 2 D notes at the same time.. It's much louder than other similar note being hit.
Anyone else here feel like their P45 is somewhat difficult to listen to?

Well it is the cheapest "proper" digital piano out there, so it has lower quality sounds, action and speakers than the more expensive models. The Kawai ES-110 that everyone is lauding is 300 more for example, so almost double the price.

P45 is still a better buy than P115, since they are essentially the same if you use headphones.

I don't know if I have the ear for telling what sounds good for a digital piano, so would the P45 be a good entry model for someone teaching himself years after childhood piano lessons?

>piano
Should have decided to learn a real pussy grabber instrument like Guitar or atleast a Violin. Have fun autistically playing black and white keys faggot.

Depends on how active/good you were in the past. If you are a beginner it might be good to get the P45 to start out, but the feel of the Yamaha GHS action might fall flat if you have some experience already.

I'd say I was just about intermediate, but it's been a long while. Can't say if I really understand what you guys really mean by feel and action, is it like how sensitive the keys are, levels of volume, and how soft or hard it is to press?

I think I should go check out a store.

Have you checked all the settings and knobs to see if you've maybe just fucked up the EQ or balance or something?

The action is the part of the keys that makes them feel like a real piano. Or at least attempts since it's a very complicated thing to do. The cheaper actions can feel a bit clunky, uneven and noisy.

What's the difference between the P45 and the P71?

What's the best analog synth on the market?

P71 is an Amazon exclusive cheaper model. It doesn't seem to have even the entry level GHS action so it's most likely worse.

>logitech anything
>not a4tech KR series

i have a slightly fucked sl-1100, but it's still quite good. like the other guy said, velocity curve is a bit conservative, but you can adapt to it.
fatar / studiologic make decent keybeds.
if you're getting a good deal on it, it's fine.

I believe this is the ES110 action