Are dual cpu builds a meme or are they actually useful for something?

Are dual cpu builds a meme or are they actually useful for something?

Anyone?

you need at least 8 cores for internet browsing, 16 if you want to do any sort of programming

wtf are you? poor?

I don't mean cores, I mean two cpus on the same mobo.

P O O R F A G
O
O
R
F
A
G

They're good so long as you don't want to play any games made for 4 cores or more. Which is an increasing amount of games as we head into 2018

18 cores/36 threads minimum
32 GB RAM for electron apps
NVIDIA Tesla P100 for basic webgl content

I have two dual CPU computers and it's great, they're both about 7 years old now but together they are 16 cores each. They are wonderful for rendering and can handle any game I throw at them

TWO CPUS ON THE SAME MOBO

NOT TWO CORES

nah just manufacturer dick waving contests and for rich kids to show off on the internet
we all know that servers are actually stacked mac minis

What are the pros and cons? Could you give me a quick rundown? Are there some software that can't handle two cpus or that crashes?

Can games use both cpus at once? What about virtualization? Do they need special cases?

Two usecases:
a) cheap used previous gen Xeons for heavily multithreaded computations (try finding a checap dual socket MB tho)
b) computationally extensive servers in business

Unless you are not happy with EPYC or lack money you do not need dual socket at all.

It's useful when you need a lot of cores. Die sizes have a certain limit past which they're useless to manufacture.
The flip side is much higher latency, which shouldn't be a problem if your OS has a good scheduler and your programs don't do dumb shit with threads.

I've had no problems at all, one of them has a RX 480 as a gpu and it's great.

I use them for network rendering with mental ray, edit in davinci resolve (render out put is blazing fast!) and played, rocket league, hellblade, doom 4 and every game I wanted without a hitch.

They only problem is when you do dual CPU you can't go back

Oh, that shit was obsoleted by threadripper.

i have recently gotten a supermicro x8dti-f mobo, bought a case and now i am planning to grab a pair of used xeon 56xx hexacores from ebay. I am still undecided on a dual cpu psu, since there are not many around.

Why not just buy ayymd threadripper?
Most of the dual cpu stuff you find on ebay etc is old server hardware that have been replaced by newer stuff. Threadripper gives better performance in comparison for the stuff you find on ebay.

Yes, they give you twice as much CPU power.
We have /sqt/ by the way.

What's the original comic?

My first gaming computer was a converted HP Kayak workstation with two slot 1 Pentium 3 CPUs and an FX 5200. It was kind of cool that I could run a web browser on one CPU and games on the other.

something by junji ito

>with two slot 1 Pentium 3 CPUs and an FX 5200.

GeForce FX, not AMD bulldozer abortions.

You need at least 2 cpus for internet browsing, a server farm if you want to do any sort of programming

Any double socketed threadripper mobos out there?

No. If you want even moar cores than 16 just get Epyc.

what if I want 64 cores?

And Epyc.

Dual-socket 32c/64t ebyn then.