Youtube and DRM

Google and YouTube are only few months away from allowing every video on their site to have DRM. From a leaked info on Twitter, they will implement it to give copyright holders ways to control how their content is consumed.

- DRM will be able to prevent ad skipping and ad blocking
- you will not be able to watch YT videos on non-approved browsers and platforms
- you will not be able to use mpv or VLC to watch YT videos
- you will not be able to save videos
- content owners will be able to limit the number of times you watch the video (to prevent excessive music playing etc)

Is Youtube kill?

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/thread/62677717/
youtube.com/watch?v=2YYNPnql9YI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe, hopefully. Trump needs to break up google, they're too powerful.

Knew this day was coming soon, time to download everything I was planning to.

are they really this stupid?
that would kill their entire website

If it's true, yeah, youtube is already losing lots of traffic to twitch, but this would be the death sentence for it. Sounds like bullshit though. Google aren't that stupid.

Do you even have a single fact to back this up?
Not that I don't believe you but "come on dude it's obvious" is not a source.

They already broke themselves up.
That's why Alphabet Inc. was founded and everything that used to be Google was split into sub-companies that mostly operate on their own but still use the Google name for publicity.

Don't mind me, just downloading some youtube videos.

Spotify haven't killed ad-blocking even though they use DRM, so we can always hope.

If they'd really do that, many and maybe better alternative would emerge. Unfortunately they would take years to mature like YouTube did however they still could get some inspiration from it.

It's fucking kill (if what you said is true)

>drm in web browser
Is it gonna have HDCP too?
No?

>They already broke themselves up.
No they didn't. It's just a ruse that gullible clueless idiots such as yourself fall for.

[citation needed]

Even if it's "a leaked info on Twitter", I want to see a source.

There are dozens of better alternative already right now.
Some even would be more profitable to work on but the majority of people is on YT and they're not going to switch because they're so used to it.

The only way YT could die would be if some really big Youtuber says fuck it and went to a different site that eventually would attract other Youtubers which would then attract more people and so on.
Twitch is pretty much the only actual Youtube rival and that's only because Youtube missed the livestreaming train a few years ago.

Did you even read my second sentence?

so this means rip youtube-dl :(

Thanks for the source Sup Forums, I'll believe everything you say.

who cares I'll stop watching videos and do something else

>tfw no life

>they will implement it to give copyright holders ways to control how their content is consumed.
>consumed

As long as the youtube-dl people can make a work around, I don't care.

you posted it again!

How would you watch them otherwise?

you got butthurt again!
stay mad goolag shill.

Poor decision desu.
Can content creators manage the licensing of the video? Like, to release it in public domain etc.?
That, on the other hand would be neat.

If the license allows you don't do download, why platform need to block you?

How long do you think it will take people to crack it?

I would also like to see some evidence. It's not that I don't doubt the op's validity, but shouldn't we have something physical before we make commentary? How do we even accomodate this if we don't know precisely what is happening?

You are all fucking idiots

Okay, explain to me how things are different this time. Is it the DRM the W3C got bought into adding to the browser?

is there a valid alternative to youtube?

Yes.

Archive.org

And the issue is that DRM exists to control what playback devices and browsers we can have. Are there no hooks in the plugin system that could be used to side step the DRM?

Yes.

>being this fucking gullible

>DRM will be able to prevent ad skipping and ad blocking
RIP youtube for me

>use tablet
>unskippable ads fucking everywhere
>completely rampant, falling asleep to a playlist is essentially impossible
>accidentally close a video, reopen it
>LOOL WATCH ANOTHER AD FUCKTARD XD
>click between 5 different videos trying to get a skippable one
>none ever come, all 30 second ads
yeah I'll be done with youtube if OP ever happens. Not worth the hassle

What exactly is invalid about what I've purported?

Not true. It will reduce trafic but increase revenue, they'll win.

Blyat where is proof

either the drm will be broken before release, or tons of people will bail.
there probably (sadly) are a large enough contingent of normies that will just accept tv commercial like adtime on their youtube videos, but someone else will be glad to do it another way. Just because they're tired of only making x dollars and want more, doesn't man there won't be tons of others chomping at the bit to make even a fraction of what yt currently makes. problem is initial investment of hardware. I suppose with enough capital, one might be able to partner with cloud services to create a decent enough video server system to get started.

>Google and YouTube are only few months away from allowing every video on their site to have DRM.
I can't find one news article or blog within the past year reporting on YT using DRM. It would be nice if the OP would provide a source instead of posting speculation.

rbt.asia/g/thread/62677717/
Please don't make this post a thing until YT makes an announcement about it. We have enough shit being posted on Sup Forums.

>dat butthurt

>>I can't find any evidence that would justify the OP's statements as anything other than speculation
>LOL YOU MAD XDDDDD
Perfect.

I could see Google potentially doing something like this

I could see Google potentially doing a lot of things. And one of those things ends with me getting buttfucked by my dog.

>having a Goole branded robot dog

>2054
>Not having a Google brand Robo Lassie™ with vibrating peripherals and increased ejaculate capacity

you can already play widewine shit in kodi and record it

Youtube must die.

I'm in the process of downloading some of my favorite videos. Mostly exploration type videos. I doubt the exploration channels will be the first to jump on DRM but then again I'm not sure how the system will work, and whether or not it will be default.

We've had this thread a few times and although people are correct that DRM will probably be circumvented easily, the actual act of accessing the content could potentially get annoying. I can imagine Google doing the following:
>Disable embedding from untrusted channels
>Must be globally logged in to google to watch embeds
>Must have DRM enabled to access YouTube.com
>youtube-dl/mpv streaming cock blocked

So yes, it might be technically easy to rip the content once you view it, but it will be annoying to get there, and annoying to remake accounts if you're found out. And it might be come a rip and re-distribute platform. Which is why I think downloading all your favorite videos right now is a great idea.

>YouTube is mostly garbage anyway
While that's probably true there are some good videos I will miss accessing. Pick related, its an HD gunkajima video.

>2013+4
>still shills goolag
>still can't see where all this is going

You're that adnauseam faggot that self-bumps is own thread autistically 24 hours a day and has hallucinations that Google talks to him, aren't you?

there's only 3 people on Sup Forums: you, me and some other guy.
PS: collect those goolag shekels.

- everyone every time youtube fucks their shit

did pewdiepie got too powerful and need to be silenced?

imagine all the butthurt '''youtubers''' starting to shill against G once their revenues plummet, it would be glorious.

*twitch guy rubbing hands*

all in all a net win for society and opportunity for the next distraction source

Sounds like they don't want me watching youtube at all.

>did pewdiepie got too powerful and need to be silenced?
I haven't been following this but he apparently said the word nigger and was completely demonetized or something. Do you know the details of what went down?
Anyway, he seems to have rustled a lot of feathers and YT is indeed trying to bring him down.

He made a joke about how you can get people on Fiver to do anything. He got a couple jungle pajeets to say "Death to All Jews, Subscribe to Keemstar" and a jesus larper to say "Hitler did nothing wrong". That was a while ago, though.

The most recent thing he did was say "nigger" while playing battlegrounds which is a completely normal thing to do in that video game. Like tow days ago he made a video that included that one clip of the happy merchant picking up a coin and his jew hat falls off. He took it down not even a day later though.

He's crypto-Sup Forums if anything, but probably just edgy to stay relevent.

Never liked him or watched any of his vids but the dude seems to be red pilled af.

wait for EME thread

>He made a joke about how you can get people on Fiver to do anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=2YYNPnql9YI

good. maybe don't act like you're entitled to copyrighted content if you aren't willing to pay for it. fucking millenials.

Cool source, cockface.

>Trump needs to break up google
He can't even break a billion dollars.

Your speculation is about as coherent as your post.

its called multitrack posting u brainlet

And then, 15 minutes later someone cracks it.

>And then, 15 minutes later someone cracks it.
... like they cracked Netflix, rite? kek.

>- DRM will be able to prevent ad skipping and ad blocking
>- content owners will be able to limit the number of times you watch the video
These two are mutually exclusive

How do you think people pirate netflix content?

Screen recording

Read the thread, you fucking moron

>thread has been up for over 12 hours
>OP still hasn't posted an actual source for this bullshit
>people are still falling for it

For shame Sup Forums

I mean it sounds pretty believable

You are the reason why clickbait exists.

Someone will simply write a wrapper to hooktube and voila.

what if i just use a capture card

pig if through

Here's my prognosis: It will only apply to channels that opt-in, much like the encrypted signature BS and region-locking agreements YouTube currently already has. And yes, the encrypted signatures can arguably be considered DRM, but youtube-dl works around them. In practice, this will mean music videos, and other sorts of content where big companies “need” DRM for BS legal reasons.

Most videos will be unaffected, and any sane content creator that funds themselves externally (e.g. patreon or sponsorships) will not give two shits about DRM since it does not benefit them in any way. In fact, most channels would probably be shooting themselves in the foot by forcing DRM because that will needlessly limit their viewer base to those on “approved” devices.

Maybe the blatant jew channels like LinusShitTips will try out DRM + regular ads instead of the encoded-into-the-content ad scheme they currently use, but I still doubt they have anything to benefit from it.

yeah I yell nigger sometimes when I'm mad too
completely normal

Good. Finally content creators the money they deserve.

He's also the president

>tfw no terry cum because you post a nigger
:(

>he doesn't use an adblocker

>It will only apply to channels that opt-in,
Most channels have nothing to lose by opting in. So they will opt in in large numbers.

That's not the same you moron. One entity still owns it, controls it, and directs it. It's essentially one giant company.

Most channels have nothing to gain by opting in. Also your assumption of “nothing to lose” is wrong. Opting into DRM limits your viewer count.

>Most channels have nothing to gain by opting in.
Better ad conversion is nothing? You delusional, user?

gnubody cares.
As long as I can watch it in my browser, I will be able to save it the way I want.

Most youtube channels aren't members of the YouTube Partner program, which means they get fuck all ad revenue. Also, YouTube Partner channels can go suck on a bag of dicks.

Also, the people skipping/blocking ads are the ones who wouldn't use the DRM bullshit anyway, so it's not like you're gaining any more revenue by enabling DRM. The people who don't know how to circumvent it are the ones who don't know how to install an adblocker either.

Anyone trying to force DRM on people must fucking die. Whether OP says the truth or not (sounds very plausible, though).

>- DRM will be able to prevent ad skipping and ad blocking
This is not true
>- you will not be able to save videos
This is also not true
>- content owners will be able to limit the number of times you watch the video (to prevent excessive music playing etc)
This does not require DRM

So the only two valid points are:
>- you will not be able to watch YT videos on non-approved browsers and platforms
>- you will not be able to use mpv or VLC to watch YT videos
And both are pretty irrelevant for most types of content on youtube. Some types of content (e.g. movies, crap music) can only be distributed on platforms with the ability to arbitrarily restrict the consumption to approved devices. For the rest, this is irrelevant.

>Also, the people skipping/blocking ads are the ones who wouldn't use the DRM bullshit anyway,
It's not up to them though.

i don't allow ads on my videos, i won't suddenly turn them on.

the people who would rather not show their content to those who choose not to watch ads are sabotaging themselves, but that's okay because youtube is oversaturated with wannabe celebrities anyway.