/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Show your family of thinkpads edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook, GETAC's,Toughbooks).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Recommended original IBM design models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

biosimage.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list
trustedreviews.com/reviews/hp-dreamcolor-lp2480zx-24in-professional-lcd-display
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t530
youtube.com/watch?v=Mpx9ZjrUiSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pLvGeciMUD4
youtube.com/watch?v=4OB636LzaBA
ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-3x-TrackPoint-RED-CAP-Nipple-SOFT-RIM-Style-for-IBM-Thinkpad-Genuine-/111963037032?hash=item1a11845d68:g:44wAAOSwz2lXCGjh
askubuntu.com/questions/137421/volume-keys-are-working-in-unity-but-not-in-xfce4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no bios logo booru
shit thread

What is the best thinkpad for gaming?

>thinkpad thread
>hp in OP pic

>not making your own

first! posting from my blazingly fast thinkpad x60!!

X230 with an express card egpu connector. Portable and powerful.

So I just bought this HP DreamoColor LP2480zx for $50USD. Did I fuck up or is this a steal?

>no T440P shilling
shit thread

biosimage.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list

Whoever makes the next one, pls use the last thread OP. It's better.

I have a X201.
I'm thinking about selling it and get a X220

Am i do it right, Sup Forums?

How the FUCK do i disable the trackpad on i3?

What's the deal with T450?

T430 and T420 are often recommended, anything wrong with the T450?

trustedreviews.com/reviews/hp-dreamcolor-lp2480zx-24in-professional-lcd-display

>Covering a staggering 133 per cent of the NTSC colour space, the LP2480zx comes pre-programmed to support the sRGB, Adobe RGB, SMPTE-C and Rec.709/601 colour spaces in full, as well as DCI-P3 at 95 per cent

>two thousand bongs

You did alright lad.

>not having two thinkpads

Too new, x40 is just coming off enterprise now.

Also IIRC it's all ULVshit, so it's slower than the older ones.

>ulv
pls no

I don't get what you all are complaining about. All T and X series since the **40 have been ULV, that was 6 years ago. Lenovo will never go back to full voltage CPUs and why should they? ULV has become more powerful than full voltage ever was while using significantly less power.

I was really hoping that fag who was bitching on not being able to play games on a thinkpad would come here and bitch some more. I wanted to trash him.
Is that the one with overheating issues or was I thinking of something else.

Should I get a x240 or t440 for a more portable laptop? I got a t530 and I keep that as a workstation. Although I suppose if I want portability I should get a more modern laptop... I just hate the thin meme.

>XX40 was 6 years ago

The Haswell chips used in those are coming up on 4 years old and the thinkpads probably came out half a year or so after.

>more powerful
It could be more powerful if they cranked up the power limit back to 47w though.

T440P will keep a quad core cooled.

Been looking at getting one of these (Specifically for corebooting).
I heard you can do stuff like run quad core ivybridge on a T420. How's the heat like on that? Currently on a fagbook pro 2012 with i7-3820QM, and the heat is not too bad.
Thinkpad vs Elitebook? both have compatible models.
When do you think higher-spec/modern models will get support?

Why did Lenovo include an expresscard slot on the L440 but not the premium 440p?

>I heard you can do stuff like run quad core ivybridge on a T420. How's the heat like on that? Currently on a fagbook pro 2012 with i7-3820QM, and the heat is not too bad.
That bulky bottom that thinkpads have are specifically meant to counteract heat. It is basically pretty good.
>Thinkpad vs Elitebook? both have compatible models.
Thinkpad seems to be built better. I just don't like the elitebook cause of their crappy keyboard
>When do you think higher-spec/modern models will get support?
Not anytime soon, but I heard the x30 series are getting theirs soon.

>mfw I spent more on upgrades to my T530 then the price I spent buying it
>1080 BW156...v4 screen - 90 bucks
>Metalic Backplating - 20 bucks
> T520 keyboard swap - 20 bucks
> CD - PCIE CD Drive swap - 20 bucks
> New shell to get rid of dents - 100

Elitebooks are better built that Thinkpads, and feature much more metal in their builds. But they aren't as widely used in America so they get much less hardware/software support for things like coreboot/libreboot or tlp. Also after market parts for Thinkpads are MUCH more available. For these two reasons alone it is more reasonable to go for a Thinkpad over an Elitebook for your usage.

>That bulky bottom that thinkpads have are specifically meant to counteract heat. It is basically pretty good.
Ok good to know I wouldn't have any issues with that
>Thinkpad seems to be built better. I just don't like the elitebook cause of their crappy keyboard
The Elitebooks look pretty damn durable, but I will agree on the keyboard. My first ever laptop was some Thinkpad running WinXP, and I remember it being pretty sweet.
>Not anytime soon, but I heard the x30 series are getting theirs soon.
If you mean X230 and T430, then they're already supported

>If you mean X230 and T430, then they're already supported
Ah, I meant the T530 which I have
>The Elitebooks look pretty damn durable
I think the biggest misconception that everyone has about laptops is metal is durable. It is not. That cheap aluminum will bend faster than the heatproof plastic that every laptop has.

>Is that the one with overheating issues or was I thinking of something else.
Something else. T440p a cool.

Theoretical question - if there's a laptop with a weak screen bezel, could you reinforce it internally somehow?

>ULV has become more powerful than full voltage ever was
[citation needed]

Thinkpads were a fucking mistake

Only acpi is wip, you can try it
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t530

That cheap plastic cracks and breaks
>Elitebooks aren't durable
This is delusional
youtube.com/watch?v=Mpx9ZjrUiSQ

youtube.com/watch?v=pLvGeciMUD4

youtube.com/watch?v=4OB636LzaBA

Interesting about the whole Aluminum vs Plastic argument. As someone who mostly has used aluminum fagbooks, most of them have done ok and were pretty cool, but there was one that literally had permanent damage to its GPU, probably heat-related, basically making it a brick. Dunno if that has to do with the chassis material though.
So far it's looking like a T420 or T430 with quad core.

oh my bad. I was thinking of the dell latitude series. Always get them mixed up since they are basically the defacto alternatives to thinkpads.

No, you shouldn't worry about what the laptop is built of, but how much support it has, as I outlined in my initial post:

Thinkpad:
More Hardware support
More Software support (All Linux distros + MacOS + whatever)
Coreboot /Libreboot
After market/replacement parts

But damn do HP make aesthetic Laptops

well damn that might be the one for me

I've been hopping between x270 (dual core 7th gen) and a t420 with i7 quad core upgrade.

Was thinking about buying an exp gdc and hooking up one of the sub $100 cards to allow me to play Paladins 4k 60fps (it's only gpu heavy)

Really like the idea of going 100% libre but I wouldn't be opposed to hackintosh depending on if I can get the exp card working under it.

Any ideas? Would a quad core sandy bridge be better in real world scenarios than a dual core i5 7*00? Doing some googling leads me to believe the dual core is only 15% faster than the quad core.

As a person who ones a T440. The touchpad is garbage. They actually steadily improved it after the T440.

pic included. They basically got rid of physical buttons and realized they made a mistake and brought it back.

It's only a $15 touchpad swap. Not a big deal on the T440p, kind of a big deal on the T440 and T440s because you have the disassemble the entire laptop to swap the touchpad.

>But damn do HP make aesthetic Laptops
Indeed they do, but I also kinda like the black with red accents that thinkpads have.

Yeah It prolly doesn't actually matter what material, especially since i take good care of my devices.

>soft rim meme
should I give one a try? My default dome' grip is wearing out

ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-3x-TrackPoint-RED-CAP-Nipple-SOFT-RIM-Style-for-IBM-Thinkpad-Genuine-/111963037032?hash=item1a11845d68:g:44wAAOSwz2lXCGjh

T440p

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that one does not have Coreboot support, which is a major thing i'm looking for

that i did not know. Sounds neat.

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a T470p with the corporate discount code?

>Inb4 just buy an old T420 etc.

I want something new.

Tom Petty is dead

:(

Fuck :( I enjoyed his music and his voice acting on King Of The Hill.

Not the user you were replying to, but is it the T440p the best Thinkpad/Elitebook/Latitute option for a cheap and durable quad-core notebook?

You don't include the discount passwords in your spam thread anymore?

>Thinkpad
yes
>Elitebook/Latitute
No idea, maybe they have something similar or better that i'm not aware of.

Yeah their prices have come way down and I think I saw one with a i7 4702MQ $400

I

how come every single thinkpad video I watch on youtube is done by pajeets

well the x70 series have kaby lake processors which only let you have windows 10. Otherwise there really is no problem.

Which pads have/could accept OLED screens?

only the exotic x1 yoga.. so I got her..

for the more convervative user I hope they will make use of that display in standard line up soon..

"oh wow user, you can get Windows 10 on something that old?"

THEY'LL NEVER QUESTION ME AGAIN

That or a T430/T420 all have good cheap quad core options.

so im using XFCE on my T530 is there a reason the volume buttons don't work?

common bug on xubuntu. askubuntu.com/questions/137421/volume-keys-are-working-in-unity-but-not-in-xfce4

>no 1080p mod yet for t420
>x270 has soldered CPU
>t440p has no expresscard for egpu

FUCK

thanks my dood

Time to stop being a manlet and get a W series like a real businessman.

the t420 should be fine then
if you're going to use an egpu then it's implied that an external monitor connected to the egpu will be used as well

Came across this saucy clitoris-related passage when trying to google a problem with my track-point buttons. (From Invisible Eden by Maria Flook, about an actual murder on Cape Cod.) The clit-mouse has gone mainstream!

Anyway, the right trackpoint button attached to my X220T keyboard is acting up. Single clicking it seems to "lock it down" (even though the physical button pops back up again). The computer behaves just like it's held down, and the only way to fix it is to reboot, or to restart the X server if I'm using Linux. It behaves this way both in Windows and Linux.

I've popped the key out and replaced the rubber dome, with no result. It's aggravating because a single click means it's borked until I reboot. My temporary solution has been to leave the dome out so I can't click it by accident. I'm just using the trackpad button instead.

There's nothing visibly wrong with it. I've blown it with compressed air, polished the contact, and said prayers over it.

What could be going on? Is a new keyboard the only solution? And if I need a replacement, are the x220 keyboards the same as the x220t (tablet) keyboards?

Thank you my dudes. I've gotten so used to the trackpoint now that it's driving me mad dealing with this.

Unless you want 15.6 inches yes

Do elitebooks drain the water spilled on the keyboard?

His & hers Thinkpads. W530 and X220T. Size does matter! But can you guess which is his and which is hers?

Diaable it in the bios

The W530's is the girls, X220T is yours because you're a small man.

no one cares

>Elitebooks are better built that Thinkpads, and feature much more metal in their builds.

Do they?
Or do they just have the metal on the outside?

(proper) Thinkpads have magnesium alloy frames, they are very strong.

The covers are plastic but they aren't needed for the sturdiness of the construction.
Also easy and cheap to replace.

you have a small dick and like to play minecraft

What is the average battery lifespan of x220/230/240 batteries?

I'm looking for refurbished lenovos and every single one has 2-3 hour lifespan listed.

>refurbished
but why would you pay extra for a "refurbished" laptop

"refurbished" basically means it turns on and works, same shit as "used" on ebay

Used/refurbished is synonymous in the UK.

Refurbished ones always have swapped parts, palm rest and such to look mint-condition, hence the price.

Just buy a new battery.

Used batteries are hardly ever any good.

I an attest to that, the one I'm specifically looking at has got i5 2.60GHz, 8GB DDR3 and a 250GB SSD.

I'm thinking about buying it, it's about £239 which is about $317. Only thing I might have to do is replace the screen as it's likely a TN panel and also get a better replacement battery.

NBD

Some models do. Newer ones don't.

noticed this on the top left corner, looks like backlight bleed right? is it too bad? its unnoticeable while normal use

>is it too bad?
Let's see....
>its unnoticeable while normal use
Then no.

Also I think that's just a reflection.

What do you think of a T420 with i5 2430M, 16GB RAM, 500HDD for $250? Seems like it's refurbished

too much money

Yay or nay? It'll be my first Thinkpad, to be honest I'm a little apprehensive about buying a refurbished, old laptop. But buying something 'modern' would cost twice as much with half of the specs.

considering how high ram costs it might be worth it but 500gb harddrive? that's baby shit

>but 500gb harddrive
At least it's not an old SSD, and it's better than what I got in my T420 (unless it's slower than mine, RPMs matter a lot in hard drives.)

that's true
I have a 500 laying around since I only use an ssd

can´t you find it cheaper? idk about prices on the UK, at least it has SSD, look usually the seller that refurbish buy in bulk and all their laptops are used, they then swap the cleaner looking to their better spec one to sell it more expensive branding it as a refurbished, the other one that looks used is the one marked as used, both should be clean on the inside. If you buy used youll only get uglier parts, but they also will last a lot.

But a 2.5" external enclosure for like 5$.

>I'm a little apprehensive about buying a refurbished, old laptop.
It'll be alright, see I still find it somewhat expensive though, i'd go for a cheaper base model and upgrade it myself.

It sounds quite cheap considering how much RAM it has, but then, 8 gigs is an obscene amount already.

I think I'll do that, thanks.
Yeah, even on mint I never go over 2. I have 8 though. I think ram is more of a thing to watch out for if you have windows.

But is it normal?

It's a modular build, you can pick RAM and the storage type.

If I picked the cheapest option it would be 4GB and 320GB HDD making it £154 which is $204.

I'm not worried about changing out components myself but looking around at prices for the components I would want to upgrade almost bring me back up to the original figure.

Pic related is mine.
I'd swap the trackpad if you could get one with the same feel as this, missing a bit of height to get the physical buttons in. I'm just really not a fan of the style of trackpad where it's easier to press it the further down you go. This is effectively a floating platform that can be pushed down anywhere, and I prefer that.

your pick is ok, looks like you have a lot of options, 8gb and ssd is better then the cheapest, is it msata btw?

>uk
why are prices there so bad? Bought a 8gb 500GB i5 2520m T420 for $140 (Seattle) 2 weeks ago. Literally mint x220 listed on Craigslist for

>not hardening the rubber of your TrackPoint™ by soaking it in 100% isopropyl alcohol

I bet you faggots like sloppy and loose TrackPoint's™.

That's going to crack soon user