What are Sup Forums's thoughts on this show?

Not talking about the quality of writing. Just wondering if the tech stuff is actually plausible. I doubt the actual PP algorithm is within the realm of possibility for another couple decades, but hey, I could very well be wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2016/07/14/dropboxs-lepton-lossless-image-compression-really-uses-a-middle-out-algorithm/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissman_score
ia802501.us.archive.org/7/items/pdfy-tG1MuMpwvrML6QD0/228831637-Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love it, got hooked through Seasons 1 and 2 and slaved through watching most of 3 and 4.

The various running jokes and character traits are excellent. I wish the new season would come out faster to be honest.

Yeah, I like the show and all, but is the tech in the show plausible? Like, could I have Pied Piper in the next few years?

That's up to you to decide.

dude i dont want to program i want to write. is middle-out a real thing? how long does it actually take to jerk off a room of ~1000 dudes? i need to know these logistics, you nerds!

I think many of the scenarios in the show are very plausible and when they use tech lingo it is actually correct 80% of the time. This is surprising because they could easily get away with NCIS or Big Bang Theory level bullshit, but it's nice they that make an effort.

Maybe the PP compression algorithm wouldn't be a feasible business IP in real life given how indefensible a business model built around a single algorithm would be. However the challenges that the PP team faces at various stages are very believable: everything down to hiring women, setting up an onsite server vs cloud, VC politics and so forth.

Middle out is not a thing, but the jerking off a room full of dudes is a textbook algorithm question and I believe the answer they got was legit.

Just watch the 1st season and decide for yourself, if you want to continue. I originally panned it after a few episodes, but before the 2nd season premiere, they ran a marathon of the 1st season on HBO. I should have stuck with it, because the 1st season, after the first few episodes, had me literally LOL'ing.

Spoiler Alert:

TJ Miller is supposed to be leaving the show.

It's an entertaining show but the "compression algorithm" concept is ridiculous.

the poor mans seth rogan carried the show now that hes gone probably will be shite

techcrunch.com/2016/07/14/dropboxs-lepton-lossless-image-compression-really-uses-a-middle-out-algorithm/

Not the real thing, but close enough. Also, the test score used in the show is an accurate metric that was developed for the show.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissman_score

What if I told you there's an app on the market

NOT NOW JIAN YANG!

dubs ^

I'm on Season 3 Episode 8.

Gotcha, as in the show, NOT real, but CLOSE. Unlike Hoverboards, I take it? Those are fucking stupid.

The show is pretty funny, but the tech lingo is basically gibberish.

Some things are just shit that a writer wouldn't get, but knows the right words. Like when Richard is arguing with his date over tabs vs spaces and she uses spaces, she actually hits the spacebar repeatedly. No one does that. We all hit the tab key, it's just a matter of whether your text editor enters them as spaces or tabs.

It's impossible. You can't compress something into nothing and have it come back out whenever you want again.

no, math is not wrong

it is shit and super cringy.

>Middle out is not a thing, but the jerking off a room full of dudes is a textbook algorithm question and I believe the answer they got was legit.
Yep. ia802501.us.archive.org/7/items/pdfy-tG1MuMpwvrML6QD0/228831637-Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency.pdf

I'm not a programmer but I know a fair bit about coding and I disagree. You _can_ enter spaces and there are people who do. And as someone who learned to use Tabs early on, it does my head in, but I don't get the whole war between those two worlds and all that.

Is this real?

Kind of. The show commissioned a few Stanford grad students to write the paper for them I think.

holy shit...

this is my favourite scene :^)

>A remains strong even in the presence of member variation, presenters B and C demonstrate increasingly flaccid performance.
lol

what the fuck

Look into Aviato's new algorithm instead. It's a game changer. Guaranteed to make the world a better place

Bighead carries the show. He's the best character on the show he's literally me IRL

Who was the camera in the pic where she has both of her hands on the keyboard?

So much this, its game changer.Really a tipping point, pivoting and moving forward to reach out horizontally boots on the ground, ground up with entrepreneurial brand. As part of their review of minimum viable product frictionless change agent.

is chinese moot related to filthy frank?

Even if the show isn't 100% accurate/realistic, it's one of the best depictions and it is great generally.

I took the photo

One of the most cliche shows Mike Judge has been involved with. Kinda boring. I remember I got through the first season and after a few episodes of the second I just stopped watching and completely forgot about it until now.

And yeah "middle-out" isn't a thing, might be. But it won't be any faster than current methods. And there is no theoretical limit on compression per tine unit, just the level of compression. Whatever.

formulaic garbage is formulaic (and garbage)

kek

>Like when Richard is arguing with his date over tabs vs spaces and she uses spaces, she actually hits the spacebar repeatedly. No one does that. We all hit the tab key, it's just a matter of whether your text editor enters them as spaces or tabs.
this is so that the viewers will know she is using spaces you autismlord
it would make zero sense to anyone watching if she did not do that

compression and middle out is bullshit and fiction, just to have a plot that with some suspension of disbelief will remain plausible almost no matter what happens to technology in the future (e.g so that the writers do not suddenly fuck themselves over because changing technology in the middle of a season makes what they are writing seem dumb)
everything else is essentially spot on