/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Russian-watch-LUCH-SLIM-Mechanism-2209-23jewels-/142524904558
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-leather-shoe-care-products/
good-stuffs.com/Vanilla-hand-winding-mechanical-wristwatch-retro-styled-2016-edition_p_240.html
good-stuffs.com/Smaller-35mm-Bauhaus-hand-winding-mechanical-watch-Sea-Gull-ST17-modified_p_310.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for the memes

pls tell me that's from a store and not someones collection

Are those fakes?

yes this is a cube shop... i wouldn't know if these are fakes but if they were kek

Any reason not to cop a citizen nh8350 for under 100 bucks? Any better alternatives in same price range?

Look OP image for better alternatives.

No thanks, I live in a real country. I'm not paying for some Russian shitter.

ebay.com/itm/Russian-watch-LUCH-SLIM-Mechanism-2209-23jewels-/142524904558
Should I cop this?

Leftist detected

That gold case + gray nato combination is kinda tasteful. I'll remember this and try to apply it to a proper watch.

Wouldn't a leftist want a commie era watch though?

Hold out for a nicer dial, like this

>He seeks a mechanical watch in the lowest price range
>Ops out to buy nipshit instead of buying a watch made by europeans, for europeans
>Claims he lives in a real country

You can't really support commies by buying soviet shit, if you could, I wouldn't buy them.

What are you talking about? Leftists practically fly the hammer and sickle at each anti-freedom ralley they go to.

>Tudor lhd
>42mm diameter
>50mm lug to lug

Too big.

Opinions on using shoe polish on leather straps?

What’s wrong with buying from Seiya?

how much is it to get a jeweler to clean watches? this is wind up, but runs like 5 mins slow

Nothing is wrong with buying from Seiya. I don't think I've ever seen someone claim to have has a poor buying experience from his online store.

>runs like 5 mins slow
That watch needs a complete servicing most likely, and most independent watchmakers will charge $150 and up in North America for a complete service. I would recommend googling "vintage watchmaker" or "independent watchmaker" plus whatever area you live in to try and find a few. In general, if you find a watchmaker who has a good reputation in online watch communities that is usually the best bet.

I did a little googling and it appears to work fine on straps, though you have to be careful not to have colour from the polish rub off on you afterwards.

Towards that end you should probably read and article about shoe care and get a saddle soap, leather conditioner, and cream based polish (that the leather will fully absorb) rather than a garbage wax based polish like Kiwi if you want to pursue this.

thesweethome.com/reviews/best-leather-shoe-care-products/

reposting

reposting #2

I like the brown dialed version a lot better, personally.

Does the one on the right suffer from 311itis?

Seiko seems to have figured out how to make rose gold not look like fashion garbage.

where did you buy the 70s seagull ST5 from?

I bought the meme.

holy fuck that's ugly`

My little Raketa is cute, CUTE

People were asking for my shitty Poljot I want to sell, well here it is, next to a Seiko 5 for scale.

Positional variation in rate, beat error and amplitude is a bit large, but otherwise the balance has a good swing always above 200° and it should stay within one minute a day. Also everything is reliable. Bracelet is chink.

I wish they'd make these with the Seiko NH35.

Where is the absolute cheapest place to buy an SKX013?

>62728633
Forgot pic.

For under $100 I don't think anything else is even going to come close, honestly.

Creation Watches, it looks like. Has them for $185.

Nice Raketa bro

Thoughts on this?

my SKX013 has the second date language in arabic, is it any rare? does that tell me something?

Raketa's all round!

Looks like shit.

no it's just like every other skx013. nothing special

I prefer the Citizen BM8180 myself.

It tells you the day of the week in Arabic.

>wristlets

Both are not nearly as good as people hype them up to be. This is coming from someone who doesn't dislike Seiko either.

>Redditspacing
>Shitposting

Was cruising down Barcelona this weekend and tried on pic related, but I just can't do it. I can't pull the trigger on €2,300 el primero without the original tri colour dial

At least it's not one of the truly ghastly hublot styled models. Pic very related.

SRP77(3/5/7/9): which turtle color is best?

Blue all the way baby.

what about your thoughts on this?

Is it wrong that I fucking love these 3 hand hand wind mechanical movements, especially in smaller cases, like 34/35 mm.
Fucking dress watches man, that's the style I like.
What would be a good dress style watch to wear as a daily?
Should I just buy soviet timepieces and call it a day?

No, there's nothing wrong with that at all. What's your budget?

At least post a picture of one that wasn't taken under a sickly fluorescent light.

Too busy, but I was never a fan of chronos anyway.

Fair point, I just used the first non-render I found on an image search.

Hmm, anything from 1-300 usd I suppose.
I already have the dress watch covered.

That bezel is fucking nasty. It reminds me of those god awful Kinetics from the 90s.

>Having a manly wrist is now reddit tier
I think you got that backwards, wristcel. Your low test kind has no place here.

Wait, I thought you were looking for more dress watch recommendations since that's the genre you like?

>What would be a good dress style watch to wear as a daily?
That's my goal here, wear a dress watch that can resist water a bit, preferably with a stainless steel case and a done crystal.

Well Sea-Gull/Rodina makes a Junghans Meister knockoff that might interest you. They're pretty cheap and the ST17 movement is decent enough for the price.

Damn!
What's the case size there?

Website says 38mm, but I swore that I heard that they were more like 36. I must be confusing it with the Junghans Max Bill or something.
good-stuffs.com/Vanilla-hand-winding-mechanical-wristwatch-retro-styled-2016-edition_p_240.html

Wait no I actually might be confusing it with their 35mm cuckwatch knockoff.
good-stuffs.com/Smaller-35mm-Bauhaus-hand-winding-mechanical-watch-Sea-Gull-ST17-modified_p_310.html

This looks somewhat promising, thank you for introducing me to it.

My self esteem prevents me on going for hte cuckwatch.

Why do you have such a low self esteem? We can probably help you.

I don't feel complete when I don't have the watches I want ;_;

>cuckwatch
Why is it a cuckwatch?

>cuckwatch
what?

Bauhaus styling

And this makes it a cuckwatch...?

I've never understood the appeal of the El Primero. I think it's ugly in all it's guises.

You own one don't ya?

Just a chink Nomos knockoff

that guy doesn't even have thick wrists you fucking mongoloid

5hz column wheel chrono. what's not to like?

Always better than the actual cuck watch.
I think the Nomos would be acceptable if they focused more on the case shape, making it thinner and fixing the lugs and added a domed crystal.

> what's not to like?
the dial, the case, the lugs.

I don't get it
I don't like the styling
but I don't get it

i don't like the overlapping subdials especially with the hour totalizer over the minutes but they've taken their heads out of the asses and started making it with the minutes overlapping hours. case and lugs are pretty classic but if it's not for you, oh well.

>Always better than the actual cuck watch.
Thanks, I guess..
Still don't understand what's cucky about it though, is it overly expensive so you get cucked by the price, or is the designer a literal cuck, or is it just a meme?

>I think the Nomos would be acceptable if they focused more on the case shape, making it thinner and fixing the lugs and added a domed crystal.
Top tier centrist opinion. My biggest gripe is that all their watches have ridiculously long lugs, and they seem so afraid to go away from simple flat walled circular cases.
They need to stop copying Lange and Stowa's ancient designs and instead copy Junghans.

It just looks like a generic chrono, nothing remarkable at all. Certainly not worth it's asking price.

>generic chrono
column wheel and arguably one of the first serial automatic chronograph movements. if that's "generic" what are the 7750 fatboys that make up most of the market?

Now this is a sensible take on Nomos and I agree 100%. I'd buy the shit out of a Max Bill style 3 hander with the DUW 3001 in it.

>domed crystal

Why do people like this? I hate the way it looks.

I'm not sure a single watch on the market for $300 or less has true dress watch styling and 10 ATM or more of water resistance and is 37mm or less diameter. The only non chinkshitters I can think of that even come close are the Seiko SARB033/035 and the Seiko SARY055/057.

The Seiko Dolce SACM171 has the 34mm size and the styling but it's a HAQ quartz and only has 3 ATM of water resistance.

new g-shock arrived today.

All black AWG with positive digital display. Been looking for this combo for a while.

You have inexcusably awful taste.

Domed acrylic crystals are god tier.

What is your latest acquisition /wt/? Mine is this NOS F-14.

Greek seller I got it from?

Note that they still have the factory protective plastic on the crystal, it's kinda hard to notice, but take that off and you'll see the crystal is glossy like on a new Casio.

is that a even more minalist version of the f91w?
i kind of like it

Yep I got it from the Greek seller, I noticed the screen protector and removed it.

Yeah, it predates the F-91W. It is time & date only, it has no stopwatch, no timer, no alarm, it doesn't even have a light.

this is exactly the wrong way to do domed crystals
people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

How much did you shell out for that if you don't mind my asking?

About 1200 usd