T-Mobile to merge with Sprint

The previous attempt was blocked during the Obama era, but the new merger attempt is seen as unlikely to be blocked under the new administration.

This would be shitty for consumers.

Isn't Sprint CDMA? Why would they even want to merge?

You'd be supporting 3 different standards, CDMA, GSM, and LTE.

This is good news for sprint users like me. More towers = better coverage. After they get t mobiles towers they can compete witg att and verizon.

>merging CDMA and GSM networks

like merging football and hockey

And raise prices like Canada. No bueno.

Sprint is already phasing out CDMA antennas.

It's going to be full LTE and LTE-Voice by 2019.

The natural trend of capitalism has always been monopolies. Eventually you will have one carrier. (Verizon) on gas station (sheetz) one retail/grocery store (walmart). Oh wait it's mostly already happened...

Plenty of competition between grocers and gas stations dude, chill.

So legacy customers are just fucked I guess?

My grandparents for example are still using sprint phones from like 2005.

Thats what the small businesses said when walmart came to town.

There are no Sheetz or Walmarts in this area though.

Verizon has LG "dumb phone" that does LTE voice (LG made them because Korean carriers had to send out dumb phones to old people before shutting their legacy CDMA networks off).

I imagine Sprint will send out something similar to the remaining few CDMA dumb phone customers before shutting the CDMA network off.

Is there any real reason other that kikery, that cell phone companies can't just share towers, and just charge for different speeds/data limits?

Sup Forums is an american board.

No

Yup, I'm living in the US.
I take it back though, a walmart did finally open up about a year back. But the minimum wage in the city is $12.50/hr and going up to $15/hr. So I doubt any more walmarts will be opening up in the area.

>3 proprietary imperial networks

murrica....

Europe uses 1 industry standard

Only Sprint and Verizon use CDMAids and both are planning to go LTE-only in the next couple years.

Most carriers are GSM and LTE/LTE-V

Both Sprint and Verizon (the CDMA carriers) are moving to LTE/LTE-V only in the next 3 years.

>Sheeitz
No thanks, I'd rather die before my Wawa is out of business.

I'm an American and I've never heard of sheetz

Found David DiFranco