Tesla: World's biggest battery half-built

>Tesla has reached the half-way point in its plan to build the world's biggest battery, in South Australia.
>The plan to build the 100MW (129MWh) lithium battery grew out of a Twitter bet between Tesla boss Elon Musk and Australian software entrepreneur Mike Cannon-Brookes.

bbc.com/news/technology-41469231

>Tesla doesn't even finish building a battery
>becomes front page news

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/MG17i
archive.fo/s4riU
archive.fo/gWSOf
businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-production-misses-third-quarter-2017-10
youtube.com/watch?v=_NnNEuxqoPo&t=160s
youtu.be/Bim4O2aHTZo
youtube.com/watch?v=j4KR4-TN-Yo
youtube.com/watch?v=vBzVlqknZGE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you're a big battery

Elon Musk invented batteries!

>MUH ROCKETS
>MUH MARS
>MUH EVIL AI WILL KILL US ALL
>MUH "WE LIVE IN A SIMULATION" BULLSHIT
>MUH BULLSHIT VACUUM TUBES
Reminder to ignore what this charlatan, scammer and a welfare queen has to say. He's all about attention whoring and putting himself in the middle of news... because it makes it easier for him to raise money from taxpayers.

>Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies
>Los Angeles entrepreneur Elon Musk has built a multibillion-dollar fortune running companies that make electric cars, sell solar panels and launch rockets into space.
>And he's built those companies with the help of billions in government subsidies.
archive.fo/MG17i

>Can we wean Elon Musk off government support already?
>Perhaps now Elon Musk can finally get his hand out of U.S. taxpayers wallets
archive.fo/s4riU

>Its Time to Stop Spending Taxpayer Dollars on Elon Musk and Cronyism
>It has been widely reported that among SolarCity, Tesla, and the rocket company SpaceX, Elon Musks confederacy of interests has gotten at least $4.9 billion in taxpayer support over the past 10 years.
>This is almost half of Musks supposed net worthtaken from the pockets of American citizens and put into companies that can survive only by cannibalizing each other, spending without end, and promising that success is always just beyond the horizon and yet never arrives.
archive.fo/gWSOf

businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-production-misses-third-quarter-2017-10

>shouldn't we be making cars?
>BUILD THE FUCKING BATTERY

So it works like a power plant for one hour?

It's probably needed to supply a town with power at night when solar panels dont work too well.

And that energy could run like a 1000 PC for a night.
Which isnt's a fucking lot.

And why do we give a shit?

Are batteries technology?

It's just retarded
It's not even a new technology, it's anything really efficient
It's just fucking big lithium battery
Who the fuck thought that it was a good idea, why is Musk so fucking autistic

would bang that girl on the right 10/10

It's not anything really efficient*

Isn't that really fucking dangerous?

What a monumental waste of money.
A fucking massive flywheel would be better.
Why? Because at least it doesn't fucking degrade HARD like Li-ion does.
A fucking vault and air compressor would be better.
Fuck off Musk.

Back to Sup Forums low iq white heathen

Dude. Go Fuck your father's pussy.

You /pol scum need to go outside and get some air.

Does it half work?

>anyone who disagrees with me is Sup Forums

nu-Sup Forums, ladies and gentlemen

I like him. Someones gotta push scientific boundries.Tired of politics.

Musk is a misdirected idiot, the only thing he's pushing the boundaries of is tax subsidies.

You mean that isn't chers 'daughter/son'?

He likes it that way because he can talk about how grand the future will be and then a few years from now when the things he does have either never been made to work, or have been expensive, underwhelming boondoggles, the media has forgotten about them, and is on to hanging on every word he's now saying about something new that'll surely be happening in five years.

Then get gud and build your own car/rocket company

Fuck off. Elon Musk is the shit.

Tesla is a meme
Solarcity is kind of bullshit

SpaceX is literally the best rocketry company in the world.

You're anybody, any government, military, telecom corporation. You want to send a 20 ton payload into low earth orbit. These are your options:

$62 million to SpaceX
$90 million to Russia
$137 million to the European Union
$250 million to NASA

In what way is that a "waste" of $62 million? The only way you could save money is to not have a satellite at all, good luck with that.

What kind of dumb ass retort is this? No I don't want to build an electric car company because I have no desire to extort the public and direct their hopes into an increasingly bleak looking technology that will still require a substantial amount of energy to power. Rockets for satellite launches, and reusable ones at that are reasonably impressive but the success rate compared to BLUE is pretty sad. Trying for a Hail Mary to Mars is a waste of resources and misguided at best. It's cut and dry, plain and simple that manned expedition to Mars is pointless. The better investment would be development of mining technologies for finding, gathering, and extracting materials from asteroids.

>BLUE
I'm not familiar with who you're referring to here. Blue Origin? They've never put anything in orbit, they're dicking around with suborbital hops until the 2020s

>No I don't want to build an electric car company because I have no desire to extort the public and direct their hopes into an increasingly bleak looking technology
Holy shit buddy, just this morning General Motors announced they will stop making gasoline powered cars by 2023

> tesla is a meme
>safest cars in the world
>first cars with full autopilot capabilities
>sedan fucking lamborghinis in drag races

Sure thing kiddo.

I think the news worthiness of it is that he claimed he would build it in 100 days or its free or something like that.

Tesla sells every car at a $13,000 loss and even then they're painfully overpriced.

And haven't wrecked a rocket yet. Yet SpaceX has wantonly tossed one and exploded another with their subsidized projects.

>Safest in the world
Sure bud, that's super objective and given their price range I'd fucking hope so.
>Autopilot
First cars with it installed, by no means pioneers in automated travel which predates Tesla's inception by some 50 years.
>performance capabilities
One, who cares? Two, Lambos come in many shapes and sizes which you're obviously not privy to, else-wise you'd've detailed which model it was competing against.

>And haven't wrecked a rocket yet
Rockets have a 0% failure rate if you never launch any

>Two, Lambos come in many shapes and sizes which you're obviously not privy to, else-wise you'd've detailed which model it was competing against.

Calm down bro, you're letting your autism show.

>And haven't wrecked a rocket yet. Yet SpaceX has wantonly tossed one and exploded another with their subsidized projects.
And that's how I know you're a contrarian shitposter.

Lambo Aventador SV

youtube.com/watch?v=_NnNEuxqoPo&t=160s

Please be more butthurt.

Yeah. Elon sounds like an asshole when he talks about The Matrix or giant vacuum underground maglevs tunneling through California but man, SpaceX's mastery of rocketry is really indisputable. They're already #1 in the world right now and if they actually manage to get Falcon Heavy up next month it'll be the greatest achievement in spaceflight since the Apollo program ended.

Oh shit. A soccer mom eletric mini van with factory settings destroying a sportscar that costs 4 times more.

It's embarassing.

>super objective
Tesla model X was the first SUV to receive 5 stars across all NHTSA crash tests. It's pretty much the first result on Google for tesla safety. Do you have a better objective standard for safety?

>first cars with it installed
what?? because definitely other cars that didn't have it installed had better autopilot capabilities... get the fuck out of here

>performance
>who cares
apparently not you. are you trying to say no one cares about performance? Sounds like you are just mad about losing an argument. lol

How long does it take to charge a Tesla?

I think they have "superchargers" now that can do it in 30 minutes now. So not amazing compared to filling up with gas.

youtu.be/Bim4O2aHTZo

charging from a US residential wall outlet, without special high-current hardware, takes more than 12 hours IIRC.

this is going to be the next fidget spinner

Nyet! You are not to be making it so obvious, Ivan. To the gulag with you and your family.

who will stop this man from wasting people's money?????!!!!!

Thunderf00t has done it again!!!

Elon "Snake Oil" Musk has been BLOWN THE FUCK OUT yet again!

Thunderf00t explains how Musk operates:

1) Take an old idea that was shelved for being impractical
2) Take it as his (he's a thief)
3) Make the bullshit idea even bigger
4) Make a bunch of bullshit videos
5) Raise money from stupid investors
6) Collect $$$$$$
7) GOTO 1

Totally fucking BTFO!

Musk cocksuckers on a suicide watch!

about tree minutes and fiddy seconds if you have been using the battery for a couple years because electric cars are bullshit

so like every other energy industry? You know how much the oil and gas industries get subsidized?

that is only so the U.S. can meddle with international gas prices, we aren't actually the highest producers and import most of it, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to subsidize the shit dead technologies Elon Musk is shilling

It's just one guy trolling

pretends to hate elon
pretends to hate pol
pretends to hate people hating elon and pol

desu a mod should just ban him

I don't believe you

Not even, 20 minutes and that's for power to a few thousand households maybe. Also is fucking complicated regarding harmonics and its interconnect etc. My brother is working for the company contracted to help tesla get this clusterfuck of a thing done and says their engineers have no fucking idea of electrics outside of a battery itself (i.e the interconnect required to link it into the grid etc.) Also its capacity is fucking useless as they can only drain it down to around 30 percent otherwise it will massively fuck the entire system up and charging it takes away power meant for their grid. It's just superficial wank. Cpp is the company btw, consolidated power projects they do most if not all of SA's windfarms and all.

Right?
They already use flywheels everywhere anyways.
It's proven technology unlike musky's powerbank.

>MUH RUSSIANS
>everyone who exposes that scam artist is russian
Is that you, Hillary, you crazy old cunt?

I hate thundercuck for his incessant recycling and cheap, shitty content, but he really is doing a service by deflating musk hype.

Tesla is just great at marketing. Its got a real Apple vibe to the company in everything they do and offer.

There were plenty of other better and cheaper options for SA but they got pressured into going with Musk because his tweet was popular

All the cities are now signing up for the hyperloop when its not even proven itself yet. There are just so many unanswered questions on how it will work.

Also look how many people preordered a fucking car from Tesla which didnt even have an interior, specifications or a price breakdown at the reveal. All they showed was a Mazda 3 looking thing and said it was $35k

Same. he's a fucking MUH EU and anti-Trump retard and clueless when it comes to politics and society but he's exposed all these charlatans. He should stick to science.

So not only does Musk take money away from states and governments, which could otherwise go to actual research, he provides them with no tangible benefit, and in the process poises himself to monopolize the markets for products of the future, for which the products do not currently exist.

Good God, he's a genius.

>if they actually manage to get Falcon Heavy up next month
Don't get your hopes too high on FH next month.

t. SpaceX wagecuck

>Four (You)s

Nice one

So what do we do when that battery needs to be replaced at the end of its lifetime in 10 years?

You pay for new one of course.
And I am also willing to take a guess that there will be some proprietary BS, so that only Tesla will be able change batteries

Fucking Guy has unrealistic goals. We can't even make phone batteries that don't explode.

>larping on Sup Forums
lol.
>SA windfarm
The power is for ACT moran, you fucked your own larp.

>government subsidizing failed tech
>could lay rail and actually have a net improvement in transportation efficiency and cost
>open cheaper communal long distance travel

Who the fuck?

Fucking retard the cars aren't even comparable.

youtube.com/watch?v=vBzVlqknZGE

Crash safety is wholly circumstantial, you can use the NHSTA test results as much as you want but when final destination logs start flying around your five stars are fucking worthless. I'm not going to push the fact the test results could to some extent be fabricated.

>what?? because definitely other cars that didn't have it installed had better autopilot capabilities... get the fuck out of here
I don't know what I'm reading and frankly I don't care. I'm not sold on the 'safety' of AI drivers, nor do I enjoy the concept as many do. My opinion on it is that it's very plainly and very simply a farce, and in more ways than one considering the economic impact it may have in the future assuming it's validated one day.

>performance
This is a non-issue, I don't want my taxes going into some fuckhole's lust for horsepower. I want affordable adoptable technology that's consumer friendly and widely available. Not a tax break for the wealthy and not a status symbol for the well to do liberal crowd. Apparently affordable, accessible, reasonably efficient and well designed electric automobiles can only be manufactured in Europe though, in a sort of ironic twist.

>le rich guy twitter beef crazE elon Xd
christ

k

Honestly, I don't like Thundercuck but when he BTFOs Elon Musk I always enjoy his videos.

What's that got to do with the battery though?

>half-built
Lemme guess... he needs more funding from the government to finish?

I live half an hour away from the construction.

Should I go and take photos?

Just stop resisting progress. Even if he fails, we will learn from his mistakes. Just keep pumping him with mooney.
This is a good thing. US can print more money anyways.

t. NotAmerican

I live in South Australia where the battery is being built. In our state we pay literally the highest price for power in the world. Last year our turd infrastructure shit itself during a huge storm and the entire state had a blackout in peak hour that lasted around 15-24 hours for most of the metropolitan area, but days and weeks elsewhere in the state.

Elon Musk will be my hero if his giant battery can help put some downward pressure on our power prices. I dont care if he is a meme, if he can keep my air con going in 110F heat in the summer he's alright by me m8

How big is the battery?

Is there even enough Lithium on the planet to fuel Tesla prodcuts for the next 30 years? I've heard we're close to running out of supply already and all this renewable memery keeps increasing demand.

We just extract lithium from batteries, duh

clever

And uimagine the carbon footprint of this whole useless project.

>musky's

No Man can hate Elon. You must be a girl

Explain? Your trying to get me to believe all that money is going to be wasted and SpaceX is cool with that going down in history

>MUH TAXPAYURS
Dumbfuck American. You have no idea what real taxation is like.

Why not run a solar power? Its fucking australia, there's plenty of sun there.

>Buy 100w solar panel for $100
>Buy two used car batteries for $50
>Buy charge controller for $50
Literally pays for itself within few month's use.

>Also look how many people preordered a fucking car from Tesla which didnt even have an interior, specifications or a price breakdown at the reveal. All they showed was a Mazda 3 looking thing and said it was $35k
Charisma will do that to you. He's a seductress milking the people

no post dick instead

>leave US advisory role because muh environment
>hey we should all travel by rocket fueled with fossil fuels
I didn't believe Sup Forums until now. The only thing that seems remotely realistic elon does is electrical cars. Pls don't destroy that too.

SA faget here. Not sure about this shit specifically, but this was enacted on the back of years of unreliable power service here, which culminated in the last 18 months with frequent blackouts/brownouts after minor "storms" and sometimes for seemingly no reason. As far as I know, the issue is primarily about the grid balance, with the whole system needing to go down to serve crucial elements after only minor hardware failures.

Basically the battery is more about ensuring a balanced, consistent supply from our horrendous mess of fucking infrastructure when part of it goes down, not to act as a independent supply.