Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Diversity officers.

I seriously hope you didn't pay for that.

I have a T430, and I actually prefer the chiclet keyboard.

my first instinct is "subversion"
seems like a tentacle worked its way into whatever company put this out and they intentionally sabotaged themselves to drive people to another product.

purely instinct.

Where is the \ key?

CTRL is more often used so making it closer to the other keys is a good idea

What part?
The placement of the fn/ctrl makes a lot of sense.
Having the ctrl closer to the home row means it is easier to reach.

>fn is activated by default
>hitting only F5 does something like reduce brightness or volume
>have to press fn + F5 to actually input F5

HP can go fuck itself, and this is the reason why I never bought their shitty laptops

I don't hate this design, I hate that all other laptop manufacturers do it the other way around with Ctrl-Fn, I can't get used to it and 99% of the time there's no BIOS option to swap it unlike on thinkpads.

sounds like an easy fix though

How tiny are your hands? If I'm on the home row the easiest key to reach with my pinky is the CTRL key.

I hate this so much
>press alt+f4
>nothing happens, just volume down
>contort hand to press fn+alt+f4
>f4 button isn't even a key it's a TOUCH STRIP

fn, super or alt?

But that breaks the basic design that the ctrl key is always the bottom left key. I don't care about distance, I care about muscle memory.

I really don't see what the problem is with chiclet keyboards, and I use a mechanical keyboard normally.

Have you had to use one for more than 20 minutes?
They're an absolute pain in the ass.

Chinks.

I use them literally every day at work, I don't mind them at all.

I guess that's just you then, I had to use one of those mac keyboards at work for 6 months and it was an unpleasurable experience through and through.

Those statements contradict. That's like saying "I don't see the problem with flying regular, and I fly first class normally".

>mac keyboard

There's your problem then. Mac keyboards are different from other chiclet keyboards.

The keyboard on my Dell XPS 15 is just as bad.
All these ultraflat keyboards are horrid. I can't stand them.

I use the lenovo chiclet keyboard most of the day on my laptop and I have one at home for my desktop.
I don't know much about the mac keyboards, I have only used them briefly, so there might be other versions that are better, but the one I have used were not as good as the lenovo keyboards.
The keyboard quality differs a lot.

everybody is used to it being in the corner. i've used a keyboard like that. its horrible. Fn+c, Fn+v, WHY DOESN'T IT WORK? oh ffs.

chiclet keyboards are pure fucking cancer. No feedback, fingers slip from keys, flat just like your mom's ass, waste of space in between keys, it was shilled hard as fuck by normalfags.

meme gaps just like my window manager

Yeah mac keyboards have faggot cum in it

You can switch them via software on the BIOS, same with F1/12 stuff that lowers the brightness and such.

>be in charge of changing computers fo all the 300+ employees of a big company
>a lot of them have a thinkpad with this layout
>be very used to keyboard shortcuts
>keep failing shortcuts because of that fucking fn key and look like a moron in front of the idiots I'm giving the new computer
Fuck that stupid layout

Why not put the Fn key near the F keys so you can change brightness/volume/displays/etc one handed?

Those type of functions are often needed when you're not typing so one handed makes sense.

that keyboard is a nightmare

The whole point of chicklet was to allow very shallow keys with tiny key travel.
All for "muh thin".

The "chicklet" on modern Thinkpads for example have plenty travel, that's why they feel OK.

There is a ctrl and shift on the other side of the keyboard so you can do those things.
Also when is this needed fellow emacs user?

You didn't get it did you.

I've been using my X240 with chiklet keyboard for 3 years now and it's great.

Something, something, opinions.

I'm not even an emacs user.
It's just how I've always done shortcuts like ctrl+shift+n for new folder, or any other ctrl+ shift+[key to press with the other hand].
It's just so natural.

Holy shit people in this thread are fucking retarded. I'm not sure any of you even belong to be on Sup Forums.

You can remap the Fn key and the Ctrl Key, so that you can type "naturally". You can do so in the UEFI. Not that any of you fucktards would know, because half of you probably don't know how to make your PC boot up outside of Fast Boot mode.

The Thinkpad team at Lenovo laid the corner keys out like how they did on the new chicklet keys, as an homage to the original Thinkpads. Off the top of my head, I know for a fact the Thinkpad 701(C?) had the same orientation. Again, not that any of y'all would know, because you're probably too young to even know what a DOS machine looks like. Fuckin inbred morons.

So YOU are brainlet but chose to blame a laptop manufacturer.

Nice projecting there.
You probably don't even know these things.

That's what SJWs do. I work at a certain tech company and notice that certain types of people always leave negative feedback for stronger candidates and positive feedback for weaker/likeminded candidates. I'd like to fire them all but know they will scream "discrimination", file baseless lawsuits for wrongful termination and such.

>have to tinker and twerk settings on the machine to fix the retard's manufacturer mistakes
Yeah, I'm blaming them for the shitty design. I shouldn't have to fix anything to begin with.

It takes literally no effort for me to get used to. I switch around from a desktop keyboard to my ThinkPad effortlessly despite the different layout.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "you don't know these things." I know that you can remap them, because I can and did disable fastboot so that I could tinker with the UEFI. And I've been around long enough to know that the original thinkpads did have the same keyboard layout, hence why I, surprise, recognized the homage when they came out with this in the #30 line.

And honestly, I kinda like it like that. If anything, what doesn't belong is the windows key. The print screen button in the bottom right should move up to the top right, where the redundant calculator, and parentheses buttons are. You'll also have space to move the pageup and page down buttons up there, which leaves more room for the arrow keys. At that point, the keyboard would be virtually identical to the original GOAT keyboard.

normal people don’t use function keys, they did something smart by making easy to use shortcut keys
and for people like us, a quick trip to the bios settings usually fixes this

You get used to it. Infact, I've gotten so used to it that I have difficulty adjusting to laptop keyboard layouts with the "normal" layout.

>let me just hit backspa-
>*PSHtfka-aaaa*
>dvd rom opens

You stated some very obvious things and claimed nobody knew about them as if there is any thinkpad users who doesn't know about this, so my jest was that you didn't know about it either even though you talked about it in the post.
The joke was not that funny, I will try to do better in the future.

You can change the behaviour of the FN key in your system settings along side the behaviour of various mod keys. Take a look in System Prefs on OSX or the KDE control center.

Also left bottom control is cancer just like left of space alt. The sun layout and OSX layout are pretty based. Your thumb is near a often used modifier key (CMD) and left pinky right beside control once you rebind it. For true GOAT swap escape and tilde.

Never extend again! (Learn xmodmap you fucks)

Apple.

gtfo epitech fag

Google b4 shitposting Why?

Non-gamers
At least you can switch them in the bios. Ticks me off that they're different sized keys so if you switch it, you can't physically swap the caps. It's even like that on the original keyboard.

>Not pressing Ctrl+shift with one pinky

I usually just switch the fn and ctrl key in bios, and I find that I can use Emacs perfectly well on my t420 without strain.

fucking sjw keyboard

you can swap those keys in the BIOS mi familami

Little things matter more than big things amirite

as said previously I've used this keyboard only while retiring old laptops for a company, so I'm not gonna change the bios to work on that machine for 10 minutes.
Still good to know if the companies sells us some of those old laptop for cheap.
How much would be a fair price for a t420?

>shift z x

wtf

I bought a refurbished one for $300, but I know people who have haggled them to as low as $50

Yeah, I was hoping to put my hands on some for less than 100$ each.

have you seen the pgdn near the arrow keys?

german layout

Redcoat pls go and stay go

>sounds like an easy fix though

It is, you change a setting in the BIOS.

Just a normalfag passing through, I don't change brightness and change volume with scroll wheel but use F5 all the time.

Even worse, my Hp notebook got no function on the f5 key but yoh still have to press fn+f5 for it to work

lol

Why do macs still even exist?

>*blocks your path*

fn-ctrl is older than anyone posting in this thread

This offends me greatly.

Oh my god, what have you done.

same famalam
the old mac keyboards are great (not the 2017 macbook version, those are loud as fuck)
I prefer the chiclet keyboard on my 2015 Macbook pro to any expensive mechanical keyboard I've ever tried

The fehnuh key needs to die.

As much as I like that someone finally realized what we've all known for 30 years, namely that caps lock is useless and something useful ought to be put there, I'm not sure home/end is a good choice. They don't go there, much like pgup/pgdown don't belong next to the arrow keys.

Hello!

I didn't like it at first, but it turns out its a more natural position for me

Attention nigger (You)

My Thinkpad x130e has the option to switch them but when I suspend they swap back permanently and also my F keys break and stop being F keys without holding Fn

There is no fix

Do not make excuses for this kind of bullshit

Capslock->control is rsi bait, your pinky doesn't work well moving sideways. Best option is bottom left where you can hit it with your pinky knuckle.

>home/end don't belong right below tab
??????????????????

not a problem to get used to if you play guitar
alternatively you can switch the keys and I'm almost sure that you can get replacement keycaps on ebay

I like it. Reaching for the key in the bottom corner is easier to do in the dark when I don't have the keyboard backlight on. Sure feeling around for a tenth of a second if they were switched wouldn't be a big deal, but I think it's reason enough to justify the layout.

What are we bitching about here? Fn key placement? Windows key? Island keyboards?

Is 300 people considered a big company?

It's just a part of the local branch.
Company builds ship, the 300+ is just administration, human resources and managers cohordinating who makes the real hard work.

You'll get used to it in like a couple of hours, what the fuck is your problem OP?

>just suck dicks, you'll get used to it in like a couple of hours

That touchpad is so fucking terrible it makes everything else in that picture look like heaven. Even the tilde key being completely retarded.

It's not like there is option in BIOS to swap the fn and ctrl keys
Fucking retards, sometimes I wonder if Sup Forums is just a bunch of talentless 16yo gaymers

>changing one (1) setting in the BIOS menu is now considered "tinkering"

The absolute state of nu-Sup Forums

fn=FUCK NO

Why is the default retarded though?

depends
thinkpads let you do that, but I can't imagine HP $200 shitbox would let you do that

Fucking power button on a keyboard, I hated that so much I removed the keys.

Press fn + Esc then?

You can disable this in the BIOS retards