Are you part of the 3 space master race?

Are you part of the 3 space master race?

Four.

Two.

Used to, 3space is not a way to live your life.

Tab

One line.

Finally some actual common sense in this thread

>indenting
Fucking posers, get a life.

no tabs are shit because every fucking editor has a different length for it.

2 space master race

>use tab
>save file
>open in another editor
>tabs are now individual spaces

What?

>every fucking editor has a different length for it.
That's the point nigger. You like two spaces, I like 4 spaces, with tabs we can both be happy.

yep, its a bit tedious setting up editors and linters... but 3 is the optimum number, 4 spaces for python and indent based languages though

I think my opinion on a subjective preference is better than your opinion on a subjective preference

>4 spaces for python and indent based languages though
Tabs for python and other indent based languages, of course. You indent with one indent-sign. How clear and simple could things be?

I think you're a faggot

Languages that care about whitespace and the format of the code are the Pinnacle of hipster-coder retardation. Literally retarded.

Some improperly coded editors don't insert a \t when you press the tab key, they insert a (usually) configurable number of spaces.

Which is almost as retarded as using spaces in the first place

When people argue tabs vs spaces they're talking about 1 tab character vs X space characters, not pressing Tab vs pressing Spacebar.

>Languages that care about whitespace and the format of the code are the Pinnacle of hipster-coder retardation. Literally retarded.
I dont know man, I just switched to PUG/Jade as templating engine.

Once you get used to it, you dont want to go back.

Look at this readability ffs. This compiles to HTML lol

I'm thinking of switching to stylus for CSS. because wtf is the purpose of {} in css too?

This is usually an option in editors. It's not 'improperly coded editors'.
Of course there's also improperly coded editors but that's super rare.

It's never worse than using spaces directly though.

>not pressing Tab vs pressing Spacebar.
this, fucking silicon valley show got it all wrong lol..

I don't think anyone actually presses the spacebar multiple times. That's just a stupid idea thrown around to confuse the issue. Approximately 100% of people use the tab key; the relevant question is what character[s] that key inserts.

jesus fuck, I've been doing it wrong all the way.

I just figured out that soft tab option in editors conversts tabs into spaces and that I should have put indent to "tab" instead of number in my linter..

I am not sure I understood your post correctly there.

You should certainly be pressing the tab key, and you SHOULD directly configure your editor to insert what you feel should go into the file (be it tab characters or spaces). Your linter should have that same setting.

Personally, I feel that your editor should just insert tabs when you press the tab bar, and that you should never indent with spaces in your source files, which makes the "soft tab" feature in your editor unnecessary. But all the above holds even if you disagree with that.

I was pressing the tab key, but my editor converted it to spaces in the end..

all the javascript people do the same. for example if I opne someone elses file, my linter gives thousands of errors because they usually use 2 spaces.

If everyone used tab instead of spaces (hard tab option in editor), this would never be a problem

>I was pressing the tab key, but my editor converted it to spaces in the end..
This is a common style that many people are happy with. Personally, I think they are fools, for pretty much the reasons you outlined, but there you go.

>If everyone used tab instead of spaces (hard tab option in editor), this would never be a problem
Indeed.

>for example if I opne someone elses file, my linter gives thousands of errors because they usually use 2 spaces.
That is a separate issue. Throwing your linter at someone else's code based on your own personal preferences is bound to lead to meaningless noise. The classic solution for this is project-specific editor and/or linter settings.

No, I am part of the "use clang-format and stop giving a shit about irrelevant things" master race.

8 spaces

You know how stupid these threads look using gopher?

>he's not using various combination of spaces and tabs
lel @ ur lyfe

My python code has a various combinations of tabs and spaces (from 1 to 7).

Not him but HTML and CSS are fine with me. The thing is with Python and shit man, sometimes you just have millions of tabs and o jesus

The fuck is wrong with you people?
>use tabs
>make ide to convert single tab to 4 spaces

fucking brainlets.

That's not what using tabs means you fucking retard

3 is for me!

if (cond)
{

}
else
{

}
Too open
if (cond) {

} else {

}
too cramped
if (cond) {

}
else {

}
just right

It's harder to see that the else is connected to the if though

Tabs for indentation, spaces to align. That way, anyone can customize tab length to their preference and everything still stays aligned correctly.

>taking the extra time to make three spaces instead of pressing tab once
HAHAHAHAHAHA fucking looser. Bet you can't write 3000 lines per minute like me.

I use tabs, but...

(cond
? do_this()
: do_that())

why not just
cond ? do_this() : do_that();

Use Allman, really.

>discipline

Calling a function without returning the result implies side-effects, which your program shouldn't have...

sorry

TRUE

Finally someone addresses this

>actually using pug
Give me plain old html any day over whitespace reliant pug, or preferably a templating language that has opening and closing brackets. It is really pretty and readable but oh god is it a fucking horror to work with if you're doing anything beyond hello world level.

>everything should always be done exactly the way I think it should, with no exceptions

OP's code is not LISP.

Tell me exactly one reason why I shouldn't just use tab and I must press the space button three or four times like and autist when there is a button that does this for you in just one press.

No. I'm a white man; I use tabs.

Won't work if you're aligning function arguments or doing other things like these.

>being this retarded
space users have their tab keys insert a number of space characters instead of a tab character. They don't just bash the spacebar.

that's retarded so not a real issue

function Sup Forums
{
println('5 space master race');
}

3 normal spaces and 1 hair space

No, it isn't, it allows you to make things clearer.