/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>No i5s unless 50% discount; new i3s will be old i5 eqivalents
>G4560 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

pREVIOUS:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/hyY6JV
amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Cache-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00FJRS6FU/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XCjYkT
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827
youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who /wait/ here?

Me. Still on a crappy i5, waiting for zen2 now.

Currently have a 280x, what's a good stopgap gfx card until the next set of cards by nvidia?

Im hoping to get a second hand 1070 or 980ti when the 1070ti comes out

I've asked in a previous PCBG about a theoretical upgrade on my video card.
I'm on a GTX680 2GB, and it's running just fine, however, the 2GB is kinda shitting on my texture settings in a fair number of games.
My question is this - If I was to upgrade, what would be a realistic upgrade that's still better performance, while remaining relatively cheap? - I don't care for power consumption, since I had, at one stage, 2x 680's in SLI, one 2GB & one 4GB (I'm aware of SLI VRAM shenanigans not making that a true 6GB), but I accidentally sold the 4GB one like a jackass. They were the same brand & cooler, and I forgot to verify through something like GPU-Z.
Is it worth getting something like a used GTX980? It's about $300 AUD, so another $20 or so for shipping, and that puts it at about $250 USD. Should I keep looking around? For similar performance, a GTX1060 6GB is about $400 AUD when factoring in shipping.
Also, if I were to sell my 680 to make a bit more money to afford a better card, what would a decent price be for it? On Gumtree, I'm seeing a few for about $150, is that a good price, or are these sellers undervaluing/overvaluing? On Ebay, I'm seeing an average of about $200 or so.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

who else is waiting for the kikes to shit the bed on thursday and make a ryzen build?

There's really nothing to step up to

1060 6GB or a second hand 1070 or 980ti like you said is a good idea.

Best way to prevent dust from being an issue while also not having to clean filters? Trying to consider a case for fanless mini-itx that nobody is ever going to check on.

150 aud sounds about right, I think, if the aus market really is that crappy as you guys claim it is. I wouldnt give more than ~40 euroes for it personally, so try to sell it for like 100 aud.

Its an ancient card so whatever you can get for it is good at this point.

Best $1500 pure gaming build? I'm willing to wait a few months for prices of components to drop slightly.

>case for fanless mini-itx

Make any suitable case you can find airtight with tape/glue/epoxy/etc.

Leave a hole here and there to prevent heat induced pressure from builing up.

for gaming

am i better off getting

two 1080p 144hz 27 inch monitors
two 1440p standard refresh rate 27 inch monitors
or
one 3440x1440 standard refresh rate 34 inch monitor?

any one of these i am getting an arm so i can get all these fucking stands off of my desk they are like 90 percent of its surface area and i hate it

Having positive pressure normally keeps dust out while still having a reasonable air flow.

>Best $1500 pure gaming build?
Copy any other build list itt with that price tag

>I'm willing to wait a few months for prices of components to drop slightly.
Black friday is your best bet for a price drop, until the next bf.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hyY6JV
Need a longbeard to roast me

Consider a 27" 4k

you're too poor for a pc sanjay

i want to replace both of my 1080p monitors and my 1070 surely cant drive 4k anyway

I need 15 for a 13" depth 30u cabinet

2 1440p seems ideal. Probably better resale down the road, too

How many hours until coffee lake launch?

is 144hz really that much of a gimmick?

>excited for the launch of a processor

you are bloody fucking adorable

Some people enjoy it. Probably best to check it out on a store floor to see if it's something you'd like to fall for

What are my odds of running 4 sticks of RAM at 3200Mhz+ on an ASRock Taichi or Asus Crosshair VI? Just curious, only planning 2x8GB for now.
What's happening on Thursday?

coffee lake release

Covfefe Lake officially launches, and there are already rumors on how the supply might be limited

>Covfefe
I don't get this shitty meme and why people won't let it die already

Should I try for Ryzen with 3466Mhz 16-16-16-36 RAM, or 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 RAM?

The fuck is that even for

It might end up having one tiny fan on the cpu, plus whatever the power supply ends up having. So maybe fretting about this is useless.

Seedboxes. The external HDD is for shucking

Just take your PC out and clean it once a year. How hard is that?

Would this be a good drive to store games on to supplement an SSD?

Should I go for something bigger? Something cheaper? Are WD Blacks still good?

amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Cache-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00FJRS6FU/

I can get the ASRock X370 Taichi or the Asus X370 Crosshair VI both for the same price. Which should I get? The better VRM is really the thing selling me on the ASRock, but everything at this level is so overkill. The Asus only has memory QVL for 3200Mhz, but the ASRock lists 3466Mhz, so that's tempting too. Asus is tried and true and has BIOS recovery stuff if I fuck it up. What would you guys recommend?

You can't use the $99 windows tablets with a USB output for that?

Or the super cheap intel compute sticks?

WD blacks will always have some extra features, they're fine if it's not much more than a 7200RPM Blue drive

ASrock is fine and slightly cheaper I think.

Reliability wise are they superior to Blues?

I'd rather have a rack-based solution. They'll be running other supplementary services and I want to incorporate them into a KVM box in an ajacent cabinet

Should be, slightly faster as well

Should at least buy a PSU that won't explode, something cheap from EVGA or Seasonic. ECS boards are always complete shit btw

It's being designed for my folks and being hidden in the furnace room next to the router. They're not going to do any maintenance on it until it breaks.

what is currently the maximum serial performance config? 4ghz DDR4 + 7700K delidded + NH-D15 + Z270 Taichi? Does the motherboard really even matter for KBL overclocking or is the chip itself the bottleneck (outside of low-end boards)?

Then let the dust build up till it croaks. That is minimum 6 years at least.

So just to be clear, I can install linux from like a debian live install, set that up, test my shit, then install windows on a second drive at my leisure?

Or do I have to install windows first, fuck with the drivers and everything, then do it? I assume I can't update firmware without windoze

the fuck you on about, install w/e OS on w/e drive in w/e order you want

>every computer part has GAYMING in their product name these days
What went wrong.

I can get the ASRock or Asus for the same price.

>2017
>Being a homophobe

Is it worth it buying an i7 3820 for $100 (USD) in 2018-1? I understand that the motherboards are the expensive part, which is what's making me question this.

Ok I think I've finalized it, what do you guys think?

Mainly for productivity and such, with some light gayming. Planning on driving either 2 1440p monitors or 2 4k monitors, I'm Ok with medium settings (or running the 4k at 1080p).

Perfect 10/10

That's a throwaway CPU these days. Don't bother with x79. Get a 1600 on a b350

Including the build might be a good idea...

update firmware? do you mean the bios? you can do that from the setup menu in most cases

Yes.

Also this is my first non-laptop PC, so I'm wondering, beyond the mobo, is there anything I need to firmware update? Everything else is just drivers no?

to be honest you dont even really need to update the bios unless you are having problems its usually best to just keep it how it is and drivers are the easiest thing to install they are just done at OS level just make sure you get them from the manufactures website if they are not already in windows dont use any driver help programs they are all malware

I have a basic computer. i5 3330, 2x4GB RAM, GT620 GPU.
I don't really need all the cores that Ryzen and Intel are going with now, but 4 threads is definitely starting to feel sluggish. Have clean installed the OS, and it's not exactly helped a lot.
I'm considering buying an i7 to see if that remedies it. There's not much performance difference, the 3770s is apparently slightly better. The 2600 is a fair bit cheaper, but I don't know if it's compatible, and can't check for another week until I return from my trip.
>i7 2600 for $70
>i7 3770s for $100
Which would be the better option?

What about drivers for linux?

For work I have always used laptops where the built in ubuntu or mint stuff just werks™, I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to do for my own build.

8700k is live for us burgers

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827

most of those are done through package manager if you even need any at all they are usually already in most distros with the exception of maybe graphics sometimes

Where would I get the NVidia drivers? Does NVidia make linux ones?

yes in most cases you can get those through package managers as well the search function is your friend

Thank you. I'm just really really scared of messing this up in some way.

So Intel shat on locked CPU's for Kabylake/Z270, but did it happen to Z170 boards, too? I have an old Z170 board from when there was a sale on and got it for $99 AUD.
On retail, the Skylake processors are fucking expensive, and for the 6700K, it's about $500. I found someone selling an i7 6700 for half that, so was considering getting and trying to overclock it.
Is it even worth it to try? Z170 boards are worth fuck all now, so I was hoping to get a cheap as fuck Skylake i7.

just dont delete your installation media and its almost impossible to screw up in a way that cant be fixed with a reinstall

Which DDR4 do I pair with 8700k?

Thanks.

I'm kind of worried about getting windows from a keysite, but $250 is too much for windows pro.

How dumb is it to "upgrade" GTX960 to 1050Ti just to get rid of a power cable?
I have 1920x1200 display that I'm not replacing any time soon so gaming performance is less important than power draw and fan noise.

You can't, unless you do the base clock OC, for which you need a specific mobo and bios.

>tfw JUST fell for the Ryzen meme
WAKE
ME
UP
INSIDE

Pretty dumb

>still no mention of Coffee Lake in the OP
Having a hard time AMD shills?

>literally just built my rig
>get into a good gaming session
>accidentally pull the psu plug out of its socket while my pc is still on

well i feel retarded
why do they make these things so fucking short, it barely reaches my outlet

Has ddr4 ram always been this expensive? Is it high because cryptos or is it staying this high and just going higher?

Is a gtx1080 blower style for $470 a bad or good purchase?

So uh, where am I bottlenecked?

Blower style cards are loud and noisy.
If you have tinnitus already, it is a good purchase.

In your scenario I'd get a 2560x1440 144/165hz TN gsync panel and a 2560x1440 60hz IPS panel. In the states that'd be ~$600.

Unless you need a blower or you're going to take it off and put something else on there you may as well just pay more

No, but depending on what you do it may be useless. After playing cs:go and overwatch at 144hz it will take a while to get used to those games at 60hz again.

i5 2500k, Z77 motherboard, 12GB RAM, and a decent cooler
$320 USD
Worth it?
Might ask them to drop the 2500k for a bit cheaper, then buy a 2600k off Aliexpress or something.

It's high because of shortages in production. A year ago it was half the price.

For what usage?
For gaming it's the GPU.

Good time to jump into AM4 or wait for Zen refresh early next year?

>tfw bought one
Is it real, Sup Forums? I want to believe.

I like Asus' bioses more. Also there's a huge thread for 3000 pages for it at overclock.net, so you can read the fuck out of it. QVL means nothing. Pretty sure people got 3600MHz stable or even more with their crosshairs.

As always, if you feel you can wait you should

The i3-8100 is the best value CPU on the market.

asking again since i didnt get a clear answer
is my monitor randomly losing signal and turning back on after a few seconds a serious problem?

Will it production increase any time soon?
Should I wait or just buy now?

i have a 960 2gb and a 2600k.
I'm finding that my cpu runs at about 20% and my gpu runs at 100% in tww2.
Would it be worth upgrading to a 1060 or 1070, or would that bottleneck me the other way.

youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0

report back once you have it

>receives GTX 180 with 8 gigabits of vram

Idk why but I imagine this girl building the PC being the illya poster from the desktop threads

It's one of those scams people perform with hacked trusted ebay accounts
No you won't get anything

You are supposed to plug everything into UPS or an extender. Pretty much nobody has outlet close enough.