/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

disobedience.mit.edu/?p=813
ix.io/xoM
ix.io/w6A
ix.io/yqr
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/ubuntu-17-10-32-bit-builds-dropped
ghacks.net/2017/09/29/ubuntu-to-drop-32bit-desktop-iso-images-from-17-10-release/
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
superuser.com/a/144252
makeuseof.com/tag/upgrade-switch-linux-distros-without-losing-files/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Arch

can someone recommend me a distro+DE that offers good functionality, feels pleasant, works well, and doesn't fucking break every 5 minutes? i.e. something that's actually polished? i really want to switch away from windows 7 entirely, but fuck, nothing ive tried seems to be able to match its raw user experience/feel, there's always a bunch of little fucking issues that irk me about every distro/DE i try out.

xfce has been fucked and broken on every computer i've ever used it on. KDE has actually been pretty decent so far, but it still has its issues and doesn't feel as good as windows to me. mate and gnome felt like shit last time i used them. honestly, unity has unironically been the nicest experience i've had so far, but it was too limited for me, and now it's kill. i mean fuck, is mint+cinnamon any good? im half tempted just to go with some minimalist meme setup just to minimize the amount of shit that can break or fuck things up

Repost from other thread cus my bad timing. Any user have strong opinions on Nix and NixOS? I'm about to give it a VM test run.

I think the only other main one you didn't mention is the lxde one.

Solus+Budgie
I know it's a meme on Sup Forums but the distro is actually comfy. It got native support for snaps a while back, for the faggots complaining about the repo being too small. But you won't see them in the Software Center until it's done being updated, which is likely a few days away. For now it's all command line.

disobedience.mit.edu/?p=813

>contribootin
Free Pasta:
>YouTube without pulseaudio
ix.io/xoM
>Better fonts thanks to bohoomil
ix.io/w6A
>Arch without systemd
ix.io/yqr

>BEFORE YOUR DISTRO QUESTION
Read:
>I want a "lightweight" distro (no bloat / base only)
>Not Arch or Gentoo

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxappearance pcmanfm arc-theme breeze-icon-theme
>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
/ ~1gb; ram usage less than 100mb

8===> ~ ~ ~ ( . Y . )

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/ubuntu-17-10-32-bit-builds-dropped
ghacks.net/2017/09/29/ubuntu-to-drop-32bit-desktop-iso-images-from-17-10-release/
they are dropping 32bit ubuntu install iso (ok) but i still don't understand? does that mean no more package updates and such? will they still continue to release 32bit binaries of packages (mpv, leafpad, libreoffice, etc)? if you have a 32bit install will you still be able to update it's software in 2018+ (excluding 1604)?

Recently switched to Fedora 26. Whenever I use Firefox it searches quickly but take a while to load pages.

no problems searching using different browsers
using firefox 56.0 as well (was also slow pre-update)

any ideas?

Same issue here. Switching between tabs takes ages - white screen with loading icon for several seconds. Scrolling through longer threads and opening pictures is a joke. 2 days ago my browser with 5 tabs was taking 1.9GB of memory. I've already tried tempering with greasemonkey but no luck here. Solved memory issue but still speed is a joke.

Reposting: What's some neat DE similar to Gnome with minimalistic approach? Manjaro Deepin worth checking?

Windows 10 LTSB doesn't have this problem

try the actual firefox from mozilla
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

HACK THE PLANET

unironically Unity
I know that Cucknonical pulling the plug on it but it's the only DE besides Xfce that I don't fucking despise
Xfce is still my go to tho

mate

Should I auto-remove this/things? Is it safe? I'm using Ubuntu 16.04

yes. By default every sane distro keeps old kernel versions installed, so if the new one is fucked up or doesn't work well with your hardware, you can just reboot and select an old one from grub. If the new kernel works just fine then it's safe to remove the old versions and their kernel-headers'.

>systemd
no thanks

thanks!

test

hi ^_^

Need a stable, non-rolling OS to combo with i3 on laptop. Bonus for good resources and repos.
Wat do.

ubuntu minimal

Ubuntu minimal installation, then install i3

Check your current kernel version, you can remove other versions safely.

Thx.

Apparently my headphones are extremely shit. The left and right only fit in their designated ears, yet the left earbud plays the right audio channel, and the right earbud plays the left.

Is there any easy way I can just swap the left and right stereo channels?

Searching the arch wiki seems to show one example for a 5.1 setup, but it also says that it's "bad practice".

If you're OK with a "hardware" method, just buy or make a stereo channel swapper cable/adapter.

I'd like to be able to solve in software so I don't have to spend more money or wait for shipping/getting off my ass and going to the store. If I was gonna buy or make a swapper, I'd just buy new less shitty headphones.

Try this:
superuser.com/a/144252

I am desperate. How do I properly create a patch for a simple file?

I used diff -u old_file new_file > my.patch. Now when I try to apply it, it says it can't be found. I tried "-p" values from 0 to 10 and it doesn't work.
The top of my patch file looks like this

--- evdev-fallback.c 2017-10-04 15:33:36.608491581 +0200
+++ evdev-fallback-new.c 2017-10-04 15:46:14.424521664 +0200
@@ -30,7 +30,7 @@
Do the filenames in the top matter? In which directory am I supposed to be when I run the diff command?

>In which directory am I supposed to be when I run the diff command
Root directory

is this the brightness icon?

no its the 'run to nuclear shelter' icon

Looks like it is

I'm asking a serious question here, user

it's a square and there are no horizontal rays drawn though
is that okay?

Why not? it is just an icon.

but if it's not meant to be used as a brightness icon, I can't use it as a brightness icon

Just got my first Ubuntu server set up

what should I use it for lads?

you set up a server
without knowing why you set it up
hmmm

This works perfectly, thanks!

ownCloud

I have ssh and transmission working
gimme some ideas

I think you need to use these

forgot pic

man diff
man patch

but those look even weirder
what is it about them that tells you they'd be better suited for brightness icons that the one I circled?

looks like a small sun and a big sun, like my brightness keys on my keyboard.

those 4 things around the circle look nothing like sun rays

That design is minimal

Postin from Win7 and Office Comp, wait'n or vmware to dl so I can use devuan

ok nice blogpost faggot

I won't tell anyone if you don't.

OK

stop hating my feelings
lol

This thread was clean until you came.

I really feel like my computer has become personal again when I boot into a linux distro.
Do you feel the same?

i think you're overthinking it

Yes.

But, too bad there are backdoors in the CPU.

What's a regexp to search for .doc and .docx files for the find command?

find . -regex '*.doc\|.*docx'

GNU/Linux*

The current directory is default.

find -name *.doc*

but user that expands to shell globs

the * after doc?

WHY DO YOU HAVE DOC FILES???

This, seriously.

Use PDF if you need to send it.

>compile browser
>just finished
>new browser release out just now
>compile browser
>[...]
Gentoo is shit.

wow it's almost as if you've never used gentoo
>what is binary packages

Use a package manager

u know that heavy packages have binary versions?

>using binary packages
>on gentoo
It's just like people use Gentoo just for the logo?

I am trying to build software with meson.

>meson build_dir
should do the trick. However it fails, because it cannot find one dependency. The dependency is only used for performing checks during the build and if I pass "-Dtest=false" it works.
How do I see the available options before building? I tried "meson configure build_dir" but it doesn't work.

if someone has the issue of compiling big packages being too slow, using binary versions of some programs is perfectly valid

if someone has the issue of compiling packages, he shouldn't use gentoo

compiling big packages such as firefox or libreoffice is completely different. these often take lots of time, and to not use gentoo only because of a couple of packages makes no sense. the binary distrubutions exist to be used, so if someone has a slower pc it's not viable to build massive packages

Look at this badass.

hehe

Do this by default makeuseof.com/tag/upgrade-switch-linux-distros-without-losing-files/

Please respond

>
What are you trying to do? make a webpage with everything you use daily and touch the links with your fingers?

I'm late, but friendly reminder not to trust Canonical (Microsoft) with your OS if you value privacy/security.

I'm trying to resize partitions on a live CD but I'm getting an error that says I need e2fsck version 1.43. I can't seem to update it on the live CD though, apt-get update fails for some reason so I can't update e2fsck to the newest version, I'm not sure if this is just because you can't install shit on a live CD or what. Anyone had this issue?

the livecd will probably be a read-only environment. perhaps make a chroot?

could you explain further? What's a chroot?

Not necessarily a web page, just instead of the traditional desktop interface I wanted the win8/10 interface for what'd basically be an email machine I'd also use for media and drawing.

chroot for 'change root' - you make a new environment which is seperate from the normal root. here you can probably install the software and run it

I want this on a t shirt

Please help my dudes
>don't touch thinkpad in a long while
>pacman -Syu yesterday
>reboot today

starting version 234
:: running early hook [lvm2]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [keymap]
:: Loading keymap...done.
:: running hook [encrypt]
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/matrix/root ...
:: mounting '/dev/matrix/root' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

hmm this is a common problem
the cure is to install a good distro
i personally recommend ubuntu!

you shitter i thought this thread was for actually getting help not shitposting in kind words

You are literally being given the information in that prompt on what is wrong and what to do

I thought you Archfags knew your shit

i haven't gotten into my system in a long time, i'm used to having it all set up and working

you got used to 'just werks' on arch
uhhhh-huh.

Debian Sid is a better Arch than Arch, tbqh

what is "matrix/root"?
Im assuming you've got some sort of lvm setup since you're pulling in lvm2 hook?
Show us your fstab

how to display ALL infos with inxi?

inxi --help