Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Anybody notice their shift to linux?
>.net core
>vscode
>xamarin/cordova(android)
>sql server port in linux

Wake me up when you can build dot net core from source or it meets fedora packaging guidelines (no blobs)...

If Microsoft Office was available for Linux, I'd get my parents and girlfriend to switch from Windows. They'd already want to use Linux but they are "too lazy to learn LibreOffice". I kind of get it though, they learned Excel, Word and PowerPoint amazingly slowly.

Microsoft wants windows to be modular, this new upcoming windows core os will be for everyting.

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

also they're release mostly inferior versions for Linux, to create an illusion of Windows' superiority

What blobs? The prebuilt compiler in the source tar ball that is not installed?

they must be trolling

>what is WINE?

What is there to even learn? Want to do something? Just click a few buttons and figure it out.

I dont understand how people can be such lazy fucks. My mom actually asks me to help her use a roku and gets upset when I act like shes retarded. Its just common sense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

you forgot about based powershell

>what is WINE?
Not quite as good as I'd like.

>I dont understand how people can be such lazy fucks.
I don't think it's lazyness. I'd imagine it's a combination of unfamiliarity with common ideas & themes (which makes changing program MUCH harder), and a lack of confidence.

If the only thing stopping them to switch to Linux is Microsoft Office, the WINE IS the solution as it will make it work just fine

It's common sense to you because you've sat on a computer your whole life. I bet you wouldn't be able to gut and make a meal out of a fish you've caught on your first try. Ha! You lazy fuck it's common sense.

WINE is a buggy mess and only works with older versions of Office. It is not a solution.

.NET Core is MIT licensed. it's FLOSS through and through.

I hate MS as much as the next guy but if you don't understand the implications of that you don't understand free software.

Wine is actually extremely good. one of my favorite software projects.

the problem is that it can't match the OOB experience people expect from Windows software for various technical and licensing reasons. the burden is on the user to troubleshoot dependency issues and most just try to double click a .exe in their file manager only to immediately give up and complain that Wine sucks.

stuff like PlayOnLinux actually works kind of OK but it aims at such an erratically moving target that it constitutes in little more than a dice toss.

Yeah I guess you have a point. A lot of it is not common sense. But I think people underestimate their ability to figure things out if they just try a few things. Thats what makes the computer so great is that you can fuck things up and start over without ruining anything. You cant do that with a fish.

It's not an emulator, duh

>if you don't understand the implications of that you don't understand free software.

A nihilistic sham that hates software and employed people.

the answer is obvious. Nadella is not Ballmer. he wants you to use as much Microsoft software as possible. he realizes that strong arming everyone into running nothing but Microsoft software is impossible.

.NET Core is part of a larger strategy of seducing web devs into returning to Windows from Linux and OS X. the POSIX layer that allows you to run Ubuntu on Win10 exists for the same reason.

VS Code is an attempt at digging into the Atom and Sublime Text market. it's MIT licensed and multiplatform because those thing are easy to do and make them look good.

Xamarin exists to proliferate old .NET on other platforms.

SQL Server was ported because they were losing business to competing "enterprise" database products that didn't require people to run Windows servers. it's actually not a big deal compared to the aforementioned technologies.

it might sound like I'm defending them. I just think it's important that we realize what the strategy actually is. they are recognizing the benefits of free software and employing them. that's good because it means they're allowing the ideology to take roots not only in the company but also in the industry at large. however, they're passing none of those benefits to the end users, and that's bad. very bad. it sets a dangerous precedent.

the old halloween document tactics are pretty much dead. EEE doesn't work when you don't peddle proprietary software. they are very much relinquishing their control by using the MIT license. FUD only gets you laughed at nowadays (just look at Intel). the industry and the company have both changed.

you mean loves software and hates corporate leeches disguising as professionals

if all software was FLOSS then 95% of programmers would be out of a job and that's GOOD

Is there any reason to use .NET and SQL Server on Linux over Java and Mysql?

>EEE doesn't work when you don't peddle proprietary software
you dont need to start EEE by peddling proprietary software; that can be done later when everyone has gotten used to the embracing stage (which the MIT license lets them do)

pretty much this

i bet it has something to do with the cloud shit

Its because Windows Server is DEAD in the water. The only thing it does better is Active Directory and that gap is closing every day.

"embracing" and "extending" are very much possible. in fact, they're the entire point.

it's the feasibility of "extinguishing" competition that I find dubious. a successful application of this doctrine requires more than just control over the technology itself. they were successful in eclipsing LDAP with AD because the latter is both 100% blackbox and deeply tied to their own platform. it's impossible to create a drop-in replacement for AD without also being the developer of Windows, and it's impossible to fully integrate a third party LDAP implementation in Windows that operates with group policy mechanisms and whatnot. this is how "extinguish" works.

if you release your software as multiplatform FLOSS you facilitate the development of third party alternatives to your proprietary extensions and even empower others to extend the technology and actively compete with you.

Might be just because they know they have dropped the ball big time with W10, having invested so much money on it and pushed it so hard despite the privacy concerns (to the point of making it the "last windows platform") that linux and osx might become real threats for them and of course, it's much easier to tackle linux territory than apple's walled garden.

Xamarin is expensive

Why don't you just get the cloud versions? They work on any browser.

Yes

Pottering vs. Microsoft: fight fight!

Last I tried, they were super clunky. Solid advice though, I'll give them another shot! Girlfriend is about to buy a new laptop and told me she wants me to install and rice Debian on it as long as she can still run Excel. If not, I'll need to install Hackintosh.